UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Other Pentatonic Scales

11/3/12 5:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jman
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/03/12 5:50 AM

I'm sure a lot of you guys know the common "Major/Minor" Pentatonic Scales:

Major Pentatonic:
1,2,3,5,6 - C,D,E,G,A

Minor Pentatonic:
1,b3,4,5 - C,Eb,F,G

But there are some other Pentatonic Scales that are kind of intresting and actually work well (sometimes better IMO) than the "standard" Pentatonics. Note - these are pentatonics that I've experimented with so these are names of scales that I have come up with, so they may exist under other names, I'm just not aware of what these other names are.

You can take the overtone series (like the harmonics from a guitar string) and extrapolate that into the intervals of a 9th chord. A very natural sounding scale then comes up: 1,3,5,7,9 The 9th can be transposed down an octave to a 2nd giving you: 1,2,3,5,7. So if you apply this to the main three types of chords, you would get these scales:

Major 7th Pentatonic:
1,2,3,5,7 - C,D,E,G,B

Dominant 7th Pentatonic:
1,2,3,5,b7 - C,D,E,G,Bb

Minor 7th Pentatonic:
1,2,b3,5,b7 - C,D,bE,G,Bb

Here are a few more that sound interesting over a Mixolydian Chord/Scale (Dominant 7th chord), Dorian Chord/Scale (Minor 7th Chord), Locrian Chord/Scale (Half-Diminished 7th chord) and Phrygian Chord/Scale (Minor 7th chord):

Mixolydian Pentatonic:
1,3,4,5,b7 - C,Eb,F,G,Bb

Dorian Pentatonic:
1,b3,4,6,b7 - C,Eb,F,A,Bb

Locrian Pentatonic:
1,b3,4,b5,b7 - C,Eb,F,Gb,Bb

Phrygian Pentatonic:
1,b2,4,5,b6 - C,Db,F,G,Ab

I might make up a column or a video to give some of these examples in a musical context. I'm back in Taiwan now so I'll have some time to maybe put something out.

There are also some other interesting scales you can play around with: tetratonic scales (4 notes), hexatonic scales (6 notes), etc...but those are subjects for another time.
11/9/12 2:49 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently learned the hexatonic scale, but these are all new to me, really interesting.
11/9/12 8:56 PM
Ali
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've read the first post about 25 times over the last week or two. Makes me want to play.

Give me a shout (or email), Jimmy -- let me know how the rest of your trip went and what's up. Listening to Taiwan Beer Blues right now.
11/9/12 11:26 PM
jman
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/09/12 11:27 PM
Finally got my small studio set up so I can start recording some demos and stuff in Taiwan. Also bought a Boss RC-30 Loop Station that is fun for recording ideas and practicing over changes.

Basically all of these "new" pentatonics are based off of a 7th chord (1,3,5,7) then adding another note. To my ear the best notes to add to the 7th chords were:

Major 7th - 2
Dominant 7th - 4
Minor 7th - 2
Half Diminished - 4

The only one that this doesn't really work with was the Phrygian because it doesn't contain the 3. So you end up getting a kind of cool strange Japanese sounding scale.

The cool thing about these scales is that you can apply them almost every time you see chord changes in a jazz song. If you try to play Mixolydian every time you see a 7th chord, you can get some clashing notes and strange sounds, but 95% of the time whe you see a 7th chord, you can play this Dominant Pentatonic scale (1,3,4,5,b7) and it works beautifully. Same with the other scales.

I'm just looking for easy and sneakier ways to play jazz, because it is so damn hard to do.

Hey Ali I listened to the CD's many times (drove from Chicago to Oklahoma) cool stuff. Not sure if I could listen to them over and over again, but a nice kick in the ass to keep working on jazz stuff.
11/10/12 12:14 AM
Ali
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You've probably heard those CDs as much as I have! (The Stern was brand new to me; the Monder... well, it's somewhat severe, I guess, is the word). Still, I'd go see those guys live any time I could. And hope there's lift-off.
11/10/12 2:31 AM
jman

Edited: 11/10/12 2:31 AM
Yeah bummed I was sick and jetlagged and we didn't get to go see Alan Hines, I think live is really where these guys can shine...but we'll make up for it next summer when I'm back in LA.

All the best my friend!
11/11/12 9:36 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/11/12 9:38 AM

Slightly off topic, Jman - what scale is he using for the solo in this song (approx 3:30) ?

http://grooveshark.com/s/Disease/1WdhUI?src=5

11/11/12 7:20 PM
jman

Edited: 11/11/12 11:25 PM
Sounds like mostly a combination between the:

Phrygian - 1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 - A,Bb,C,D,E,F,G

Pentatonic Minor - 1,b3,4,5,b7 - A,C,D,E,G

Cool stuff, I don't think I've heard a punk song with a guitar solo like that before. At first I thought it was Phrygian Dominant - 1,b2,3,4,5,b6,7 - A,Bb,#C,D,E,F,G (which is used almost 100% of the time now in metal and shred over a I, bII chord progression - A, Bb). But I got my guitar out and checked and he doesn't use the C#, he uses the C natural (in other words the Phrygian scale 1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 - A,Bb,C,D,E,F,G). This gives it a slightly darker, more edgy tone and less ethnic sound, which seems to work extremely well in the context of this punk song.
11/14/12 7:41 AM
DasBeaver

Thanks a lot Jman. It's a really interesting sound which you don't hear all that often. Yeah, I've rediscovered the Dictators lately and their musicianship is a lot better than I remember.
11/21/12 12:44 PM
hugomma
939 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been caught up on the Dale Bruning lessons, but I'm saving this for the not so distant future.

Thanks Jimmy, & VTFU.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.