UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Precious few TUF 16 fighters will make UFC roster

11/3/12 12:18 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The Ultimate Fighter 16 finals on Dec. 15 have twelve fights scheduled:
Shane Carwin vs. Roy Nelson
"TUF 16" tournament final
Pat Barry vs. Shane Del Rosario
Melvin Guillard vs. Jamie Varner
James Head vs. Mike Pyle
Jonathan Brookins vs. Dustin Poirier
Nick Catone vs. T.J. Waldburger
Rustam Khabilov vs. Vinc Pichel
Reuben Duran vs. Hugo Viana
Johnny Bedford vs. Marcos Vinicius
Tim Elliott vs. Jared Papazian
John Cofer vs. Mike Rio

Twelve fights is a full card. Barring injuries, at most one more fight will be added. Notably conspicuous by the absence is fighters from TUF 16 itself.

With a deep welterweight roster, the possibilty of Strikeforce fighters being folded in, and a dearth of potential title contenders (flyweight John Dodson from season 14 excepting, it has been years since TUF spawned a contender), few TUF 16 fighters are going to reach the big show.

If you thought Matt Secor, Eddy Ellis and/or Nic Herron-Webb got screwed on decisions over the past three weeks, but figured it's not that bad because they'll get another shot, that is not likely to happen.

In the past, The Ultimate Fighter finals would consist of a few fights involving established UFC fighters, but the bulk of the fights (usually seven or eight) would involve people from the reality show, usually matched up against each other. As a general rule, the winner of all those fights would become a UFC regular. Generally, the losers wouldn't be signed, unless they looked impressive. Even those injured during the season and unable to compete in the finals were usually given one more shot to make it on a later show.

The tournament winner is a lock to get in based on the premise of the show. The loser of the championship fight, if they put on an exciting fight in what will be a featured match on television, would also have a good shot. From there, the odds are not good for anyone to even get a shot, let alone get in.

Given the number of fighters from the past few seasons who have not been able to break through and become major stars, the decision makes sense. But it makes those weekly controversial judging decisions this season that much worse for the losers.

Read entire article...

11/3/12 12:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the fights they have put on i could care less except for the TUF Final
11/3/12 12:26 PM
radiobaby
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Psyched to FINALLY see Tim Elliot again. His fight with Dodson in may was the shit.
11/3/12 12:47 PM
RandlemansStaph
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I absolutely love Varner/Guillard. That is a wonderful, wonderful matchup.
11/3/12 12:57 PM
torquemada
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Understandable decision but...

Let them bang, bro. Phone Post
11/3/12 2:08 PM
whatamess

im glad theyre not on.

i havent watched this season and for me it would be as boring as that one brazilian event with only tuf fights
11/3/12 2:13 PM
chaplinshouse
731 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i guess the ufc stopped thinking of "where do we need stars / talent?"  and rightfully so with a squad like this.  all the more reason to have a women's TUF. 

11/3/12 2:16 PM
Masakyst
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh darn, I was really looking forward to a potential match-up between Let Me Bang Bro and Let Me Bite Bro
11/3/12 2:49 PM
Seraldo Babalu
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

torquemada -  Understandable decision but...

Let them bang, bro. Phone Post

I knew it wouldn't be long before I started seeing that.
11/3/12 3:39 PM
Attila
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's fine with me. This is probably the least talented season of TUF fighters ever IMO.
11/3/12 3:45 PM
FOX Force Five
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

radiobaby - Psyched to FINALLY see Tim Elliot again. His fight with Dodson in may was the shit.

I agree, looking forward to seeing him fight again.
11/3/12 3:46 PM
Slap Maxwell
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still think it's weird. I had a thread out there on this not too long ago.

Seems like in recent past, that at least the guys who win their first fight in the house get a shot. And it's usually a win or you're gone kind of thing.
11/3/12 3:47 PM
32Hunter

Praise the lord.
11/3/12 3:55 PM
sacredhate
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

time to do a camp vs camp reality show:

- pick a few camps ( at least 1 american, one brazilian, one canuck...but better if you could get up to 6 total)
- have each camp pick a prospect from a sub-set of weight classes (i'd pick 3 of LW,WW, MW,LHW)
- do a tourney style elimination with bouts each week, over course of however many weeks necessary.

i realize this concept was used already day for a show/league, but i think it would work as a TUF/prospect concept for TUF vs a full time MMA league...and using existing camps like Anderson/nogeira's, wolfslair, couture, jacksons, would be more interesting.
11/3/12 5:01 PM
sexybutt69

FOX Force Five - 
radiobaby - Psyched to FINALLY see Tim Elliot again. His fight with Dodson in may was the shit.

Thirded. I thought Elliot won that fight too.
11/3/12 5:13 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
810 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sexybutt69 -
FOX Force Five - 

Thirded. I thought Elliot won that fight too.
Same here! I was fortunate to see his last fight in person. Phone Post
11/3/12 5:13 PM
othree
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking forward to Guillard/Varner. Hoping Melvin can get back on track, although Varner's recent performances has sort of won me over. I like seeing him fight even if I don't care for his personality. Of course I only have interviews to go off, so who knows, Varner might be a really nice guy.

But I digress, WAR GUILLARD!!!

11/3/12 6:42 PM
MisterFixit
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They were warned.
11/3/12 8:39 PM
Vril

11/3/12 9:34 PM
Megatherium
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't watched the TUF season at all really other than one or two of the fights, but I have noticed that the fighters primarily have records in the 3-1 range. They're obviously a group with no chance of success at the UFC level for several years, if ever.

The winning prize is not attractive to good prospects these days. That's the problem. There hasn't been a reason to watch TUF for years.
11/3/12 9:40 PM
ShanTheMan
786 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will this be on fx?
11/3/12 10:13 PM
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As long as that red mohawk DBag is left off the UFC roster I dont care who makes it on. That clip of him in another thread about him crying about wanting to bang was just fucking pathetic. Zuffa really needs to rethink how they want the sport of MMA to be perceived. Dana is always going on about educated fighters and good people but then they go and put complete tools on that show and then blame the night the show is aired for it having low ratings. I personally stay home on friday nights but theres about 100 other things I'd rather do than watch these so called "charismatic" dumbasses pretend to be professional fighters.

That said I like the matchups on this card. Brookins vs Porier should be a fun fight. Guillard and Varner is gonna be fireworks. I'm pullin for Varner but can see him getting clipped by Melvin early. Stoked to see Barry again.

A lot of good matchups.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.