UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Anybody run hill sprints?

11/3/12 8:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
garythekid
901 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thinkin bout giving it a go. I just have to find a good hill! Living in NYC this is not that easy. In my local park in queens, there is one spot that might have a good incline. I have to see again.

Any advice for starting? I run fairly regularly so I would not be jumping in completely cold. I also do flat sprints sometimes. Phone Post
11/4/12 12:15 AM
ravenman2000
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Assuming this is for cardio development, great idea.  I used this pre-season for wrestling during high school, and in preparation for wrestling camps in summer.  I got best results from sprinting a distance that took about 20-30 seconds to finish.  I would also pick a point as an imaginary finish-line (e.g. a telephone pole, mailbox, bush, etc), really push through it, and every couple of sprints, continue sprinting past it; I thought of this as "extra" development really pushing the limit beyond the "minimum" of what I wanted to accomplish that day (was an effective mental tool for me).

If you aren't in great shape to start with, take it easy at first so you don't have a heart attack or leave yourself unable to move the next morning.  Maybe start with just 4-5 hard sprints the first day, see how you feel the next day, then add another 1-2 sprints each session.  Also, a warm-up and cool-down is really critical to prevent injury, cramps, and to manage the lactic acid buildup. I would do at least a half-mile jog ahead of time and again after, with the end of the cool-down winding down from jog to brisk walk to strolling it on in.

Good luck!

11/4/12 12:32 AM
garythekid
901 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome stuff, thanks! And yeah it's for cardio training and nothing more. I really don't need to lose any fat.

I'm scared of having a heart attack now O_o Phone Post
11/4/12 12:39 PM
Taku
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I run outdoor hill sprints. I am lucky in that I live in Nor-Cal which is a very hilly place. I have an extremely steep hill about 25 yards from my house. most days the weather is great so I can go out there almost any day.

I like to keep my sprints brief and intense. I will often sprint up the hill for about 15 seconds, and then recover for 90 seconds. I usually do 10 repeats.

TAKU

11/4/12 2:42 PM
MixedMartialTart
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do them. Search steep hill, Lincoln UK. Lucky to have it so close. Phone Post
11/4/12 2:58 PM
Tilla

^^

That's fuck all compared to a hill I used to use in Cornwall. It was beyond brutal. Your HR would be SKY HIGH just walking the fucker!
11/4/12 5:15 PM
shootfighterbull

I started about a month and a half ago. Its helped my cardio immensely. I recover from short bursts of energy(soccer and such) much better than i did before. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.