UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Where to train in Thailand...not Tiger MT

11/5/12 11:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mango Reinhardt
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Want to head to Thailand in a february for a month or so...I did three months last year, 2 at Tiger and 1 at PTT. Tiger is for gheys and nerds, PTT is boss. Anybody have a gym recommendation that I might be overlooking before I settle on heading back to PTT. Phone Post
11/5/12 12:39 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could always just head there, and do like Junie Browning.

There's free sparring in the restaurants with the locals at all hours. :)
11/5/12 12:41 PM
SamboMMA

What's wrong with Tiger? Been thinking of popping over there [or PTT or Sinbi] for some training. Tiger can't be that bad. GSP just flew two of their trainers in for his camp for the Condit fight.
11/5/12 1:06 PM
Posty Magee
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - You could always just head there, and do like Junie Browning.

Is this true?! If so, is there a yelp-like service i can use to find sparring locals with the best reviews?
11/5/12 1:16 PM
Mango Reinhardt

Tiger isn't too bad but if you're looking for serious training PTT is the better option . Tiger is more of a focus on general fitness than muay thai. Somebody mentioned Sinbi which I hear is legit and is definitely a viable option Phone Post
11/5/12 1:22 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Posty Magee - 
Zed Wayne Zed - You could always just head there, and do like Junie Browning.

Is this true?! If so, is there a yelp-like service i can use to find sparring locals with the best reviews?

Uh....

No, don't do that.

Disregard my post.
11/5/12 1:25 PM
SamboMMA

Mango Reinhardt -  Tiger isn't too bad but if you're looking for serious training PTT is the better option . Tiger is more of a focus on general fitness than muay thai. Somebody mentioned Sinbi which I hear is legit and is definitely a viable option Phone Post

Thanks mango. I mentioned Sinbi. Its one of the camps I'm looking into if I go to Thailand. My choices altogether are Tiger,BTT and Sinbi.
11/5/12 1:31 PM
Mango Reinhardt

One thing to take into account is that the talent pool at PTT seems to be getting deeper while Tigers seems to be degrading so depending on your skill level whether it be Muay thai or bjj you'll get some world class training partners at PTT Phone Post
11/5/12 1:44 PM
SamboMMA

Thanks again Mango. Thanks octowussy. I'll look into Singpatong and Patong as well.
11/5/12 1:45 PM
ninjaofhate

If you are looking for a MMA gym you may want to try team Quest Thailand. I've heard great things about them from high level Muay Thai guys. Your level and intentions should guide your decision. If you want a serious gym, you are at a high level, and can speak some Thai you may want to try Chuwatanna, sitsongpeenong, Kiatmoo9 or even Sasipara. (Sp?). If you are treating it like a vacation or doing it for mma, try Fairtex Pattaya or team quest. I've heard PTT is decent for sure as well. Phone Post
11/6/12 9:17 PM
ninjaofhate

Ya I have heard great things about Jitti. I didn't see the OP specify where he was going. My mistake! Phone Post
11/6/12 9:21 PM
qcddog03
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

later

11/20/12 3:44 PM
Mango Reinhardt

Bump Phone Post
11/20/12 4:14 PM
sparkyman
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My wife and her brother spent 5 weeks at sinbi. There were all levels there right up to world champions. Not as slick and polished as some of the other gyms but great trainers. Phone Post
11/20/12 4:17 PM
sparkyman
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Btw Saenchai was training there at the same time. She has pictures with him. So must be well respected. Phone Post
11/20/12 4:20 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saenchi is no longer at Sinbi, he moved back to 13 coins in BKK. Sinbi is an excellent gym in the south. Phone Post
11/20/12 4:36 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu's muay thai instructor Matt Nielsen (Ryuku Damashi) travels to Thailand 2x/year for the last 7+ years and Sinbi is always one of his favorite stops.

His youtube channel  has footage from Sinbi, Kiatmoo9. 96Penang, and a few gyms where he has been the first farang they've ever met. (let alone train with)

11/20/12 4:39 PM
rosario00

How much can a month long trip roughly cost including travel, accommodations and training? Rough cost Phone Post
11/20/12 4:39 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

octowussy - 
sparkyman -  My wife and her brother spent 5 weeks at sinbi. There were all levels there right up to world champions. Not as slick and polished as some of the other gyms but great trainers. Phone Post

Maybe not as "slick" as a megamall like TMT, but it's a lot more polished than your average MT gym.

You'll find that almost all the gyms in Phuket cater to foreigners on vacation. Phuket is a tourist town, that's part of life. Bangkok is where you'll find hardcore gyms filled with champs. And the country gyms in the north are often much smaller, grittier and are working with the younger future fighters who are working their way up in their career.

11/20/12 7:02 PM
SamboMMA

Bull_in_chinashop - 
octowussy - 
sparkyman -  My wife and her brother spent 5 weeks at sinbi. There were all levels there right up to world champions. Not as slick and polished as some of the other gyms but great trainers. Phone Post

Maybe not as "slick" as a megamall like TMT, but it's a lot more polished than your average MT gym.

You'll find that almost all the gyms in Phuket cater to foreigners on vacation. Phuket is a tourist town, that's part of life. Bangkok is where you'll find hardcore gyms filled with champs. And the country gyms in the north are often much smaller, grittier and are working with the younger future fighters who are working their way up in their career.

Can you recommend any gyms in Bangkok?
11/20/12 7:07 PM
soreshins
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been to Sinbi 6 or 7 times now and it's an awesome gym. Going back in March. Cannot wait Phone Post
11/20/12 8:04 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

Edited: 11/20/12 8:04 PM

solid list, I'd add 13 coins and Kaewsamrit, based on friend's experience.

http://www.thaigyms.com/gym.php  lots of pages of gyms.

11/20/12 8:05 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

octowussy - Of course. I've been to a fair number of gyms in Phuket and in Bangkok. In fact, I've trained with Matt at Sinbi before.

Matt's like the farang mayor of Sinbi! Everyone knows him!

11/20/12 8:36 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What about Fairtex?
11/20/12 8:44 PM
Fabes
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Bull_in_chinashop -
octowussy - Of course. I've been to a fair number of gyms in Phuket and in Bangkok. In fact, I've trained with Matt at Sinbi before.

Matt's like the farang mayor of Sinbi! Everyone knows him!

Truth Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.