UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GA mma is done

11/5/12 3:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BRINGTHAPAIN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The state has decided not to fill the position left open by Andy Foster. This essentially kills mma in GA until his vacant position is filled. Phone Post
11/5/12 3:33 PM
Brian Rule
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BLAME OBAMA!!!!!!

oh wait
11/5/12 3:35 PM
Brian Rule
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously this sucks. GA MMA needs to get back on track. Great state with a ton of my good friends there. Even went to Jones/Evans there back in April
11/5/12 3:37 PM
disbeliever
541 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
ilovetortillas is going to beat somebodies ass!
11/5/12 3:40 PM
PassnSmash

This sucks ass in not a good way! Phone Post
11/5/12 3:40 PM
Voodoo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am shocked, didn't the GA AC generate a large amount of revenue?
11/5/12 3:42 PM
Chris
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO

source?

11/5/12 3:50 PM
BRINGTHAPAIN

AC meeting today. Phone Post
11/5/12 3:58 PM
Sober
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

did they give any indication when this position might be filled? wish I had gone down there now...not that it would have mattered. can't believe they really did that...
11/5/12 4:20 PM
torquemada
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is ammy mma still regulated with the extra pads and no hitting a downed opponent there? Phone Post
11/5/12 5:19 PM
Sober
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the first three ammy fights, you weren't allowed to strike a downed opponent in the head. after that, there was "advanced" ammy fights were striking to the head of a downed opponent was allowed (if both fighters had had three fights previously). all levels of ammy had to wear the shin pads though.
11/5/12 5:24 PM
hockey fighter
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No more USA MMA? Phone Post
11/5/12 7:24 PM
BRINGTHAPAIN

from David Oblas
"Today in the GA Athletic Commission meeting
they voted to delay the approval of all 2013 events. This means these events will not be approved until they come up with another plan. The Georgia Athletic Commission wants to approve our events and is 100% behind us, but cannot do such at this time due to the Secretary of State office's DELAY or UNWILLINGNESS to approve a new Executive Director that has the knowledge to approve the fight matchups that us promoters submit. With nobody to handle that role, the hands of the Athletic Commission are tied. Since it realistically takes us promoters 60 days to work on event, it is highly unlikely that the January 19 Wild Bill's Fight Night (or any event after January 1) will take place. If you are a fighter, trainer or fight fan, you should be very upset with this news. Please pass along and help spread the word."
11/5/12 7:37 PM
FatBuddha
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who do I send my resume for executive director? :) I'm an attorney and Relson Gracie black belt and have been following Georgia MMA since the mid 90s.
11/5/12 7:48 PM
Kirik
2046 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter

Nobody is the USA is going to be able to step in and do the job that Andy Foster did, but that is a good reason to get someone in there immediately, not to delay.

11/5/12 8:14 PM
ilovetortillas
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/06/12 1:27 PM
Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
disbeliever - ilovetortillas is going to beat somebodies ass!

It sucks. People are saying we'll be well into Jan before any events are approved. Phone Post
11/5/12 9:04 PM
Stephen Eakin
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This blows! Please email the Secretary of State Bryan Kemp! Phone Post
11/5/12 9:05 PM
Stephen Eakin
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephen Eakin - This blows! Please email the Secretary of State Bryan Kemp! Phone Post
Bpkemp@sos.ga.gov Phone Post
11/5/12 10:01 PM
BRINGTHAPAIN

I really do not see this being a long term thing considering the amount of money mma generates in GA.
11/5/12 10:09 PM
SMACDADDY
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there "more" to the story? Do they simply not "want" to fill Andy's position or are they just not decided on the right candidate yet? Or, do they want to kill the sport/revenue in Georgia? Anybody at the meeting with more info?
11/5/12 10:36 PM
bravo13
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FatBuddha - Who do I send my resume for executive director? :) I'm an attorney and Relson Gracie black belt and have been following Georgia MMA since the mid 90s.

Give this man the job.
11/6/12 10:31 AM
Morgz
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would be interesting to have Andy Foster's input on how that went down.

I'm sure they will resolve it fairly quickly.  It just sucks that there has to be any delay at all.  Lots of fighters in GA wanting / needing to get their fights in.

11/6/12 11:58 AM
Tru
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Click For MMA Videos
Kirik - 

Nobody is the USA is going to be able to step in and do the job that Andy Foster did, but that is a good reason to get someone in there immediately, not to delay.

Andy is such a great guy.  I went to Iraq a few years ago to help put on the 1st ever pro MMA fight in an active war zone for the troops.  Andy foster was acting commissioner or in charge I should say of the fights in Iraq and did an exceelent job.

11/6/12 12:15 PM
FatBuddha
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn, a Georgia MMA promoter who's a friend of mine just texted me "Unfortunately they have chosen to fill it from within. They gave it to a guy in Macon who is already head of several other agencies in a "cost cutting" measure. There was a Commission meeting yesterday and the Athletic Commissioners were none too happy".

I thought I would be a strong candidate for the position as an attorney, Emory law school grad, former King & Spalding attorney, and with ties to Georgia MMA since the beginning (lived there from 1993 to 2009 and trained at most of the mma gyms/bjj schools - black belt from Relson Gracie). I hope whoever they got who also heads several other agencies has a passion for mma and knows what he's doing.
11/6/12 2:47 PM
Stephen Eakin

What we heard is that they haven't made any decision, and as such no fight cards will be approved until there is a decision. I've heard Matthew Waller and George Allen have both applied for the position. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.