UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Double workouts

11/5/12 5:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dman3456
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im trying to get more serious about lifting. I usually lift for about an hour at night but I was wondering if double workouts are a good idea so i would workout in the morning too. If so do you workout out the same muscles in both workouts? Or different sets of muscles? Phone Post
11/5/12 6:33 PM
dizz
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lifting 2x in one day? Overkill

Resting is as important, if not more, than the actual lifting...resting is when the muscles repair and build themselves stronger

If you want to do cardio in the morning, knock yourself out, but lifting 2x a day is gonna make you incur injuries and restrict your gains

11/5/12 6:39 PM
Chocolate Shatner
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can lift 2x a day, but the workouts need to be very short, very specific, and not overlapping. For example, if you want, you could do chest/shoulder presses in the morning, and then do "core" in the afternoons. You could do back in the morning, and "show muscles" in the evening.

There are even Olympic lifters who will work themselves up to doing Olympic training twice a day or more.

That being said, for 90% of people, you don't need it.
11/5/12 6:39 PM
Dman3456
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dizz -

Lifting 2x in one day? Overkill

Resting is as important, if not more, than the actual lifting...resting is when the muscles repair and build themselves stronger

If you want to do cardio in the morning, knock yourself out, but lifting 2x a day is gonna make you incur injuries and restrict your gains

Yeah thats what I was thinking, i dont think i would even have the energy for it anyways. Phone Post
11/6/12 2:33 PM
cruedi
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depending on my schedule my favorite workouts are using my stairmaster in the morning and going to the gym to lift at lunch time.
11/7/12 7:50 AM
fuzzislipperz
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Considering you increase you diet and rest time accordingly, you could work out twice a day. Otherwise you'll end up weaker, tired, and sore. Phone Post
11/12/12 5:36 AM
beatbum
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HIIT Cardio in the morning, weights in the afternoon. For example you can do abs/core right before sprints or plyo in the morning, then a full Back or Chest workout in the afternoon. Anyway, recent studies showed that you get better results from working out in the afternoon (1-4pm) because that's when body temperature peeks.

11/12/12 8:37 AM
vermonter
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spreading the same workout over two in a day will give you better strength results.
11/12/12 6:52 PM
Dman3456

RobinHood -
beatbum -

HIIT Cardio in the morning, weights in the afternoon. For example you can do abs/core right before sprints or plyo in the morning, then a full Back or Chest workout in the afternoon. Anyway, recent studies showed that you get better results from working out in the afternoon (1-4pm) because that's when body temperature peeks.

Why does body temp make a difference?

If you mean peak as in body temp is highest - why don't I just head into the sauna for 5mins prior to my usual workout. Phone Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean either. Phone Post
11/12/12 9:48 PM
nottheface
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For what it's worth, the strongest I ever got was when I did squats in the morning and then did an o-lifting workout after work, or after I got laid off, in the afternoon/early evening.

It worked much better when I wasn't working. Being able to workout, eat, rest and sleep for a few hours and then do it again was great.
11/13/12 12:43 AM
Chocolate Shatner
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter - Spreading the same workout over two in a day will give you better strength results.

true Doug, but what's your take on doing multiple cardios in a day? For me personally, my experience was limited to time in the military, and honestly I ended up with a shit-ton of overuse injuries.
11/13/12 10:50 AM
vermonter
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chocolate Shatner - 
vermonter - Spreading the same workout over two in a day will give you better strength results.

true Doug, but what's your take on doing multiple cardios in a day? For me personally, my experience was limited to time in the military, and honestly I ended up with a shit-ton of overuse injuries.

It depends on the type of cardio, and the total daily and weekly volume. If we presuppose no injury,a fixed volume and a fixed pace, i suspect it makes little difference how many cardio sessions you do in a day. You'd probably get more benefit from more sessions simply because of more warmups and cooldowns (ultimately: more volume, even though the measured distance is equal). A person that isn't particularly fit would probably benefit from spreading it out as well... e.g. most beginners running 5k start losing form at around 2.5k. Stopping there and finishing the remaining 2.5 later with better form would yield superior results.

The injury issue is seperate to the benefit issue and it's important to delineate them. Again, it depends on the person and the specifics of the workout, not to mention other factors like form and equipment. Of course, any workout that yields an injury is inferior to one that doesn't. Good GPP, good coaching and reasonable volume will eliminate 99% of injuries. In the military it isn't uncommon for several of these areas to be lacking.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.