UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones: I want to be the heavyweight champion

11/5/12 10:55 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Plenty of records are left to be broken, and there also may be another belt in his future: the UFC heavyweight title.

"Because things have been going so well, right now it's about not putting limits on anything and realizing the sky is the limit," Jones told USA TODAY Sports in an exclusive interview. "Really, I want everything, and I've said that since day one. I want to be the best. I want to be a record-holder in everything. I want to be a heavyweight champion and a light-heavyweight champion. I want it all."

"I respect the champions and the top-ranked guys in the heavyweight division," Jones said. "I realize that me, at my current size, the odds would be majorly against me, so it would be about doing it right, doing it with a lot of passion, and having fun with the game. I'll do it right when that time comes, I'll give it my all, and I'll expect to be a winner."

read entire article...

11/5/12 11:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JohnnyChingas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He will be the UFC Heavyweight Champion by the end of 2013.
JohnnyChingas

He will be the UFC Heavyweight Champion by the end of 2013.
Happiness Bunny
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait for him to attempt a heavyweight run only to get his face caved in.
11/5/12 11:07 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He would get leg kicked the hell out of the HW division. Don't see him being the guy he is at 205 though at heavyweight
11/5/12 11:11 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

legkicktothehead -
Goderson Silva -  Have to admit the kid is a phenom Phone Post

Jones has a freakish reach, which is his biggest asset to him as a fighter, and he has had big size advantages over every body he has fought so far

Phenom is a bit of stretch!

Jones is more like a smart HW sized fighter who has been great at utilising his MASSIVE size and reach advantages over significantly much smaller LHW opponents

By the way, in all likelyhood, Jones would destroy your beloved Anderson
I think you should stay out of this after your 2 long rants last night about how Jones was too scared to fight guys his own size and would only fight guys he is bigger than. Phone Post
11/5/12 11:13 PM
stonepony

He's got the ability to do it. Regardless of what the *derp* he's too big for LHW! *derp* clowns have to say. They simply can't grasp the difference between height and weight. It's just completely over their heads. I doubt he cuts much weight. He would need to get much bigger to be dominant at HW. And he will, he's still very young. If he loses, it's going to be in that interim transitional period between the time when he first moves up, to the time when he's packed on all the muscle he plans to pack on.
11/5/12 11:39 PM
Bucephalus

Could he? Sure.. maybe. Except for the fact that he lacks the size, power and has a relatively untested chin.
11/5/12 11:47 PM
gatorlaw
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember when Vera said something similar to this. Of course, Vera and Jones are very different fighters. Just interesting. Phone Post
11/5/12 11:59 PM
stonepony

The smartest poster alive - i hope he does go to HW where he will lose the advantage he has had over fighting bloated up MW's at LHW, his height, reach and weight

How is he going to lose his reach advantage? Up until recently he had the longest reach in UFC history. Struuve is still growing though, so they're about even since Stephan got re-measured. JJ has 7.5 inches of reach over JDS and Cain. He's got about a foot on Roy Nelson.

He doesn't have a "size" advantage over LHWs (who should be fighting at MW if they're too small), he has a reach advantage. He's still going to have that reach advantage at HW. Over everybody but Stephan.
11/6/12 12:03 AM
crowbar
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Translation: I`ll wait until someone else is champion.

11/6/12 12:03 AM
UGCTT_nightkap
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ill make anybody who wants it a sn bet if JBJ fights JDS he gets beat. No way in hell bones takes junior. Phone Post
11/6/12 12:04 AM
stonepony

LilBrockonmychest - 
BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - 
LilBrockonmychest - 
Pancake Syrup - He would get leg kicked the hell out of the HW division. Don't see him being the guy he is at 205 though at heavyweight

Who at HW throws more vicious leg kicks than Shogun?

if you don't think 260 pound Overeem throws harder leg kicks than Shogun......

Good point....that is definitely one.  But JDS, Cain, Carwin, Big County, etc... most of the top HW's don't throw them.

I doubt he'll ever fight Overoids. Alistair isn't ever going to get his hands on the belt, and he's going to be lucky to maintain a contract. They may meet somewhere in the middle. JJ on his way up, and Alistair on his way down. That is if they don't give JJ a title-shot in his first fight. He could lose to Cain or JDS and get bumped down to face Overoids maybe.
11/6/12 12:12 AM
StruggleSnuggles
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones as one huge downfall that will get him in trouble... Yes he has nasty elbows and GNP but he doesn't have true one punch KO power... He isn't going to hold JDS, Cain and Reem down to throw elbows on them and he isn't going to really hurt them with his punches. And fighters like Mir and Werdum would gladly let him jump in there guard... I think he would do decent at HW but I don't see him dominating anyone in the top 5. Phone Post
11/6/12 12:28 AM
I AM A MOFO
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goderson Silva - 
legkicktothehead -
Goderson Silva -  Have to admit the kid is a phenom Phone Post

Jones has a freakish reach, which is his biggest asset to him as a fighter, and he has had big size advantages over every body he has fought so far

Phenom is a bit of stretch!

Jones is more like a smart HW sized fighter who has been great at utilising his MASSIVE size and reach advantages over significantly much smaller LHW opponents

By the way, in all likelyhood, Jones would destroy your beloved Anderson
Lol how do I know you're a fat virgin?

Strange human. Phone Post

LOL@saying that first part with YOUR screen name.

As for topic, good, I hope he holds to that. It almost feels like a waste to have him fighting at 205 anymore. Nobody there is likely to beat him (and in most cases have already failed miserably), and nobody there is an exciting or suspenseful match up for him. Maybe Hendo, but I dunno..

The only JBJ match ups anyone has much interest in anymore involve dudes from other weight classes. If it's not Anderson or a HW (like Cormier), nobody is that interested and there's not much more to discuss than HOW bad Jones will beat them.

Honestly, I'd love for Jones to stop wasting my time, UFC main events, and competitive years and start adding whatever bulk he feels he needs to fight HW right now.

I'm tired of seeing great fighters like this go to waste on a bunch of foregone conclusions, which are just about all that's left for him at LHW (besides moonlighting middleweights).
11/6/12 12:44 AM
Klownoh

I don't understand him needing to put on weight to fight at heavy if he is this phenom that people say he is. Look at Cain, Congo, Cormier and even JDS earlier on (pretty sure he used to weigh in around 220-230 somewhere around there) none of these guys are that much bigger than Jones walk around weight. Phone Post
11/6/12 12:58 AM
stonepony

Klownoh -  I don't understand him needing to put on weight to fight at heavy if he is this phenom that people say he is. Look at Cain, Congo, Cormier and even JDS earlier on (pretty sure he used to weigh in around 220-230 somewhere around there) none of these guys are that much bigger than Jones walk around weight. Phone Post

Well, this isn't 1995 you know. It's not Pride. Fighters can't get away with weight disadvantages anymore. Even the top fighters like Frankie can't. The competition is just too tight. Today, young Fedor would fight at LHW. Cormier will if he's smart. JJ should wait to move up. Until he can't make the cut anymore.
11/6/12 1:05 AM
orcus

Pancake Syrup - He would get leg kicked the hell out of the HW division. Don't see him being the guy he is at 205 though at heavyweight

Yeah, loads of awesome low kickers at HW.

11/6/12 1:11 AM
I AM A MOFO
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

Not "loads" but his new nick would be Jon "Lieutenant Dan" Jones if they put him in there with Overeem at this point.
11/6/12 1:14 AM
xXJayRobXx
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once he jumps on the horse meat and puts on another 4-10 kg. watch out.
11/6/12 1:15 AM
Klownoh

stonepony -
Klownoh -  I don't understand him needing to put on weight to fight at heavy if he is this phenom that people say he is. Look at Cain, Congo, Cormier and even JDS earlier on (pretty sure he used to weigh in around 220-230 somewhere around there) none of these guys are that much bigger than Jones walk around weight. Phone Post

Well, this isn't 1995 you know. It's not Pride. Fighters can't get away with weight disadvantages anymore. Even the top fighters like Frankie can't. The competition is just too tight. Today, young Fedor would fight at LHW. Cormier will if he's smart. JJ should wait to move up. Until he can't make the cut anymore.
Frankie is a great example and I'm not even a fan of his should have lost the first fight to Bj but besides that he was the champ and doing great I even feel he should have gotten the decision against Bendo and he is one of my favorite fighters. And as for DC he probably should move down but still think he would be a force a HW possibly even be champ. Phone Post
11/6/12 1:22 AM
stonepony

Klownoh - 
stonepony -

Frankie is a great example and I'm not even a fan of his should have lost the first fight to Bj but besides that he was the champ and doing great I even feel he should have gotten the decision against Bendo and he is one of my favorite fighters. And as for DC he probably should move down but still think he would be a force a HW possibly even be champ. Phone Post

You could be right about DC... A wrestler like him with big power, he's always going to have a chance no matter who he is fighting. He's got to look long term though IMO. The competition is only getting better and better. Maybe he shines like JJ at LHW, or maybe he's a gatekeeper at HW. He should, IMO, give himself the best chance. Frankie is smart, not letting ego keep him fighting over his weight, Bendo was just a monster next to the guy.
11/6/12 1:30 AM
Ghetto-Top-Team
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happiness Bunny - Can't wait for him to attempt a heavyweight run only to get his face caved in.

11/6/12 1:42 AM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about kicks as much as the power of these guys. Can he survive an uppercut from JDS?? Phone Post
11/6/12 1:42 AM
Carl Sonnen

It would be nice to see if he can hang with guys closer to his own size.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.