UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> Florida Jacks in Toronto? Any good?

11/6/12 12:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A girlfriend wanted to try martial arts after seeing how much I love training, so she did the trial month (muay thai) at Open Mat and really loved it (and she's also really good -- she was picking things up so fast! She's got a natural gift.)

BUT... she doesn't want to pay $200 per month. She really wants to continue, so I'm looking into other quality schools in that area.

Cabbagetown Boxing Club is about a $100/month and I've heard many good things about that, but it's only boxing.

Florida Jacks is about $110/month, but I don't know ANYTHING about the place. Never heard it recommended or derided; never heard anything about it. She'd prefer serious fight training over cardio kickboxing and it's website makes me think it might be more of the latter.

Anyone know anything about Florida Jacks?
11/6/12 4:06 AM
myates
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

200 bucks a month? What a world. Damn Toronto and its inflated prices. Especially for just mt? Things change!
11/6/12 5:38 AM
trianglegrrl
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ed teaches kickboxing at Florida Jack's. He's a very legit instructor with decades of experience. I can recommend him.

If she's looking for straight up boxing in a fun environment, and doesn't mind going a bit east, she should check out Toronto Newsgirls at Carlaw and Gerrard. Savoy Howe, the owner and head coach, is one of the best coaches of anything that I've ever met. She teaches real boxing and has a few pros and several provincial and national medalists training with her:

http://www.torontonewsgirls.com/tng_main/index.php
11/6/12 10:22 AM
KrazyRussian

Downtown?

www.innercitymma.com

Chief INstructor is Shah Franco. Visit the site, it'll answer all your questions. Good group of ladies doing striking there too.

11/6/12 10:45 AM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

trianglegrrl - Ed teaches kickboxing at Florida Jack's. He's a very legit instructor with decades of experience. I can recommend him.

If she's looking for straight up boxing in a fun environment, and doesn't mind going a bit east, she should check out Toronto Newsgirls at Carlaw and Gerrard. Savoy Howe, the owner and head coach, is one of the best coaches of anything that I've ever met. She teaches real boxing and has a few pros and several provincial and national medalists training with her:

Oh man, Newsgirls looks amazing. I think it's too far away for her, but that sounds like it would be perfect for her. I'll run it past her.

Thanks for the suggestions, Trianglegrrl and everyone else!
11/6/12 11:06 PM
Danny Beauclerc
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi!
I'm Danny and I'm the head coach at Black Devil MMA (Bloor/Spadina)
We're $115 a month with no long term contract, a HUGE schedule, and a very strong muay thai program with Provincial and National champions in our ranks. We.offer 2 free trial classes so swing by and check us out if you're in the area :)

Here's our website www.blackdevilmma.com

Cheers
11/7/12 11:43 AM
omoplautistic
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If anybody, ever, has the opportunity to train with shah Franco, they really should. Phone Post
11/8/12 10:27 PM
Joe Doerksen
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dunno much about Ontario schools, but I do know a bit about Shah Franco. Solid and decent human being. You can't go wrong training with him. Knows what he's doing.
11/8/12 11:04 PM
mmabmt
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mauricio Veio (Dida's bro for those from mars) has Evolucao Thai in Toronto
11/10/12 3:18 PM
Magnus
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For anyone looking for a serious beginner program that is based on a broad range of thoughtful experience you could not do better than Shah Franco in the Toronto area. His friendly, honest and considered approach would be invaluable to someone starting out. Mr Doerksen is spot on to stress Shah's decency and understanding. The Hamilton area equivalent but with personal competitive world class MMA i.e. UFC experience is Jeff Joslin. Both of these guys have been in this 'business' for a long time and have a reputation for their teaching skills, humor and concern.
12/5/12 8:29 AM
oyeguey

Grants MMA is excellent. Has everything for one monthly price of around 100/month. BJJ, wrestling,boxing and muay thai. top coaches too.
12/5/12 12:41 PM
Kashk
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Krudar might be a good pick for the original posters Girl Friend.
1/28/13 12:12 AM
boxingman

trianglegrrl - Ed teaches kickboxing at Florida Jack's. He's a very legit instructor with decades of experience. I can recommend him.

you have to be joking

that is the worst boxing instructor in toronto,

want real boxing, stockyards, atlas, scullys, are a few places

savoy used to be at scullys
and everyone laughed at the bs she teaches

HORRIBLE

also most that go there are lesbians
just to let you know

also florida jacks as a gym
is a fitness gym not a boxing or kickboxing place

but yes ed is a good teacher, very good
1/28/13 12:18 AM
boxingman

$678 "all-you-can-eat" membership lol

and front page has a girl with hairy arm pits hahahahahahahaha

but cares about that lol

just horrible techique

1/28/13 10:28 AM
JonKellett

I had some bad experiences at Flo Jack's back when Jack was still running the show, but I did like the gritty environment, and aback was a character I will never forget. A quick glance at their current set-p seems like it's more of a bodybuilding kind of place now. I've had nothing but good experiences at Cabbagetown and Stockyards. Got some excellent mitt work in w Rey Morales at the former and there are some seriously talented people at the latter.
1/28/13 7:11 PM
boxingman

yes cabbagetown and stockyards a good gyms for sure
expect peter wiley in cabbagetown is a jerk sometimes

but flordia jacks was gritty???

it was always a fitness place
and florida jack
was good at getting money out of people
1/28/13 8:14 PM
JonKellett

I had an awesome trainer there named Humberto Alvarez. Wish I knew where he was at these days!
1/30/13 12:29 AM
boxingman

when was he there
1/30/13 6:48 AM
JonKellett

This must have been like 12 years ago.
1/31/13 9:06 PM
boxingman

its funny bay street guys like to call themselfs alpha males lol

but in reality
put a finger on them
and they will call the cops right away

very alpha lol
1/31/13 11:25 PM
Danny Beauclerc
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

C'mon man :)

So you've been to EVERY mma gym in the core, and none of them have any competitive programs or fighters tearing things up??? You have to get out more man lol
1/31/13 11:30 PM
Danny Beauclerc

Toronto bjj does very well in tournaments, as does Open Mat, as does TKMT, as does Black Devils, as does Krudar...

You can't judge a gym by it's location bud, you've gotta train at each one before you can shit talk them.
1/31/13 11:53 PM
boxingman

i didnt talk shit about any "mma"
gym

what i talked shit about is these "alpha" types

and i have trained at a few those gyms
some are good and some not as good

toronto bjj is a great bjj gym

what you guys really think
these "alpha bay street white boys"
are tough guys

but they can do is pay huge membership fees
while many "tough guys" dont want too or cant

this is why location and fees come into the story

bottom line
very few fighters in history came from wealthy backgrounds
1/31/13 11:57 PM
Danny Beauclerc

Didn't mean you boxing man, meant hermam munster. Saying all gyms in the core are big money bullshit clubs...ridiculous.
1/31/13 11:57 PM
moemar
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and thats the bottom line cuz stone cold said so. Big Rig Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.