UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> Florida Jacks in Toronto? Any good?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/1/13 4:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Danny Beauclerc
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with you on almost all of your points :)

The standard fee to train in the core is too high, and most great fighters don't come from a financial background that would allow them to pay some of these outlandish prices.

BUT There are a lot of young gyms, like my own, that are producing solid fighters on the amateur MT and BJJ scene, that just need some more time to become big names in the sport. Someone asked me last week how many fighters I have on the UFC roster (as if to call me out as a mc'dojo), and I answered "How many gyms in their 2nd year of being open have fighters on the UFC roster?". Sometimes, it's just a matter of time.

It's $115 a month to train at my camp, 7-8 classes a day with No gi submission grappling and Muay Thai, unlimited training plus separate strength and conditioning classes. Now I'm not writing this as an ad, I'm writing it because I'm being clumped together with $200 + bay st focused gyms that might not even ever try to produce a fighter for the world's stage...and I'm being clumped there because I'm downtown :) I'm just saying, you can't put all gyms in one geographic region under the same label, that's all.

I give my students a lot of personal attention, and I don't bruise their wallets too badly to do so. I have some guys that long term, I'm very excited about, and although I've only had one student fight pro mma last year, he won in 1:32, tko in the first round. There's hope for downtown, we just need some more time bud.
2/2/13 11:00 AM
Danny Beauclerc
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with you man :) I don't think T.O should claim to be the Mecca of mma in that regard. Like you said, TriStar is def the countries most widely known, widely successful gym. I can understand why the T.O mma scene frustrates you!!!

I look forward to restoring your faith in the core, keep watching for my guys!

BTW, if you trained with Rich and Saji at UMA, you probably took my classes there as well :) Msg me your name!
2/2/13 11:18 AM
Dougie
1305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Add in the fact that Montreal has always been a fight city. Boxing, wrestling, MMA. They had it first and have a thirst for it.

2/7/13 11:46 AM
DESTRO450
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Danny Beauclerc - I agree with you man :) I don't think T.O should claim to be the Mecca of mma in that regard. Like you said, TriStar is def the countries most widely known, widely successful gym. I can understand why the T.O mma scene frustrates you!!!

I look forward to restoring your faith in the core, keep watching for my guys!

BTW, if you trained with Rich and Saji at UMA, you probably took my classes there as well :) Msg me your name!

Danny im across the street from you at Walmer/Bloor can i come in and try a class out and see whatsup? let me know when is best
2/8/13 11:18 AM
Danny Beauclerc

Sure man!
We've actually just relocated to Bathurst and Bloor, right across from honest eds. (570 Bloor) I'm finishing laying down the mats and heavy bags today/tomorrow, will be open for regular hours as of Monday (11th). Come in anytime :)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.