UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Benson: Sonnen just an average white guy

11/6/12 10:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

why identify him by the color of his skin?

in any other instance, this would be labeled as a racist remark, not cool imo.

11/6/12 10:32 AM
KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Average white guy checking in who finds these comments unacceptable. Phone Post
11/6/12 10:34 AM
Out To Lunch
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unless I missed something, Benson did not use the term average white guy.
11/6/12 10:36 AM
grafzep
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its racist and not entirely accurate with regards to Chael being average at anything. I imagine Chael's athletic credentials over his career outstrip Benson's

Benson could have simply said that he has a boring and left it at that
11/6/12 10:36 AM
3rdLion
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was has being white got to do with anything?

11/6/12 10:37 AM
THE BODY BAG
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Make no mistake, Sonnens "average" athletic ability and speed would be more than enough to completely toy with bendo in a mma match, and if these two engage in a battle of wits the outcome is even worse for Henderson.
11/6/12 10:38 AM
ophusker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I log onto the UG today and two different headlines with figthers bringing up race. I think these guys need to just shut up about that stuff. Race has nothing to do with it. Chael is an accomplished athlete both as a wrestler and MMA fighter.
11/6/12 10:42 AM
DaddyO4
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no such thing as racism against white people....Louis Farrakan(sp) has said so himself.End of thread.
11/6/12 10:43 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

in fairness, yes UGBlog does make it seem like benson is racist, but i dont think he was saying that...he was basically saying he is an average dude that is very marketable because of the way he talks...

he was saying there was nothing "special" about him...i.e. average athleticism, white, male, average skill...he wasnt making a racial comment, just saying that white male in mma is like black male in nba, there is nothing that stands out about it...

11/6/12 10:43 AM
Out To Lunch
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did anyone actually read the article?
11/6/12 10:44 AM

Out To Lunch - Did anyone actually read the article?

no...they just read the title which looks really bad

11/6/12 10:44 AM
Knightsofthefirekingdom
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Average homeboy Phone Post
11/6/12 10:45 AM

x Anchor x - 
DamnSevern -

""He is of average speed, average athletic-wise, white guy, average-looking, and he wrestles guys."

where does it say "Sonnen just an average white guy?"

Regardless if the comments were taken out of context, there was still no good reason to comment on the color of his skin, it has no bearing what so ever. Plus when you consider the obvious negative intent behind calling Sonnens skills "average" and for no good reason decide to mention his race, it's actually understandable for once why the writer titled the article that way.

I'm someone who generally feels the public over reacts when it comes to what should be construed as offensive or not; but it's very difficult for me to defend this senseless racial remark. Phone Post

there was a reason to comment on it whether or not u agree...hes saying guys like sonnen in the ufc and mma are a dime a dozen, but sonnen is marketable because of his mouth

11/6/12 10:51 AM
Out To Lunch

x Anchor x - 
DamnSevern -

""He is of average speed, average athletic-wise, white guy, average-looking, and he wrestles guys."

Regardless if the comments were taken out of context, there was still no good reason to comment on the color of his skin, it has no bearing what so ever. Plus when you consider the obvious negative intent behind calling Sonnens skills "average" and for no good reason decide to mention his race, it's actually understandable for once why the writer titled the article that way.

I'm someone who generally feels the public over reacts when it comes to what should be construed as offensive or not; but it's very difficult for me to defend this senseless racial remark. Phone Post

Maybe I'm the one that needs to read the article again. Benson mentioned that Sonnen is a white guy?
11/6/12 10:51 AM
butcher4
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Henderson is forgetting that Chael is the fastest white man alive.
11/6/12 10:52 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DamnSevern -

And now people are calling Benson racist because of the title Phone Post
11/6/12 10:53 AM
ElTriangulo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, All the girlies say I'm pretty fly. For a white guy.

x Anchor x - 
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku -
x Anchor x - 
DamnSevern -

there was a reason to comment on it whether or not u agree...hes saying guys like sonnen in the ufc and mma are a dime a dozen, but sonnen is marketable because of his mouth

The color of your skin has absolutely no bearing what so ever , no matter his you spin it. To suggest they guys like Sonnen are a dime a dozen and that his skin color has some sort of importance when considering his "worth" in relation to a "dime" is simply racist. To argue that is just weak. Phone Post

what do u mean it has no bearing? ever hear of demographics? he was talking about marketability...whether you like it or not, race does impact marketability...look at the brazil cards or the china cards or the england cards or the candian cards...do u see a trend there or do u think its all just a big coincidence?

huggy bear

DamnSevern -

This! How are they going to take his words out of context like that. Phone Post
11/6/12 10:54 AM

Glovegate - 

So as he's listing bad things about Sonnen he throws in the fact that he's white and people are defending him?  Sounds pretty racist to me.  If Sonnen had said 'oh Bendo goes to decision a lot, gets knocked down fairly regularly, not the fastest guy in the division, cuts a lot of weight to fight smaller guys and he's black' would anyone be defending him?

When are people going to stop with this petty race crap? 

hes not listing bad things..hes listing reasons why chael does not stand out..if u look at the ufc roster, most guys are white..thats called reality..

i hope u guys that are construing bendo as a racist never cry about black people pulling the "race card" ever again

11/6/12 10:55 AM
jimbonice

Bendo is an average black guy. Insert whatever negative connotations you feel are appropriate. Praise Jebus. Phone Post
11/6/12 10:57 AM
rbl
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael may not have the most exciting style but watching Henderson jab the air in front of Frankie Edgar for three rounds wasn't all that exciting either.

11/6/12 10:59 AM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not racist but jesus did he put that in the middle and expect no one to notice that he said it?
11/6/12 10:59 AM
FreakDaddy
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
DamnSevern -

And now people are calling Benson racist because of the title Phone Post

I am not calling him a racist, but what he said was racist (if he did say it).
11/6/12 11:01 AM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ElTriangulo - Well, All the girlies say I'm pretty fly. For a white guy.

Too bad you're a Celtic fan

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.