UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Benson: Sonnen just an average white guy

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/6/12 11:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GregNoActionJackson
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willingly_Butt_Bonnared -

Benson just keeps becoming a bigger prick with each passing day.

I was thinking this as well. Phone Post
11/6/12 11:04 AM
crazydave
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11/6/12 11:06 AM
Pancake Syrup
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GregNoActionJackson - 
Willingly_Butt_Bonnared -

Benson just keeps becoming a bigger prick with each passing day.

I was thinking this as well. Phone Post

While i don't think this is bad he has been getting big headed since he became champ wouldn't mind him getting KTFO at all
11/6/12 11:06 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/06/12 11:07 AM
x Anchor x - 
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku -
x Anchor x - 
x Anchor x - 
DamnSevern -

""He is of average speed, average athletic-wise, white guy, average-looking, and he wrestles guys."

where does it say "Sonnen just an average white guy?"

Regardless if the comments were taken out of context, there was still no good reason to comment on the color of his skin, it has no bearing what so ever. Plus when you consider the obvious negative intent behind calling Sonnens skills "average" and for no good reason decide to mention his race, it's actually understandable for once why the writer titled the article that way.

I'm someone who generally feels the public over reacts when it comes to what should be construed as offensive or not; but it's very difficult for me to defend this senseless racial remark. Phone Post

there was a reason to comment on it whether or not u agree...hes saying guys like sonnen in the ufc and mma are a dime a dozen, but sonnen is marketable because of his mouth

The color of your skin has absolutely no bearing what so ever , no matter his you spin it. To suggest they guys like Sonnen are a dime a dozen and that his skin color has some sort of importance when considering his "worth" in relation to a "dime" is simply racist. To argue that is just weak. Phone Post

what do u mean it has no bearing? ever hear of demographics? he was talking about marketability...whether you like it or not, race does impact marketability...look at the brazil cards or the china cards or the england cards or the candian cards...do u see a trend there or do u think its all just a big coincidence?

Ok so now we are arguing which race is more marketable? Is that it? This while topic is racist, even if it is a reality. It was poor taste to intertwine the racist remark when he was basically putting Sonnen down by calling him "average". It was a negative tone to begin with and when you throw in a racist remark, it's not going to look good. It surprises me that you can not see my reasoning.

The last I checked, GSP is the most marketable fighter the UFC has ever had, and then this white wrestler by the name of Brock Lesnar came along, so it's not even accurate or a true "reality" as you'd put it, to say that being white is somehow deserving of an "average" standard in relation to marketability.

See there you go, you made me sound racist now too because your weak attempts to defend Bendo's poor taste racial comments. Phone Post

im not arguing which race is more marketable..im just saying it has a bearing on marketability...if you read between the lines, all bendo was saying is that sonnen does not stand out at all, in terms of his ability, his record or who he is...yet he is one of the biggest draws in mma...why? because of his mouth...thats ALL he was saying..its not that u cant be marketable if you are white..he was just saying sonnen is run of the mill..for example...look at a guy like jeremy lin...if jeremy lin was black or even white instead of chinese, do you think he would have been 1/10th as popular as he was..of course not....thats reality...bendo did not state it eloquently but he is a fighter, not an orator

11/6/12 11:07 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
DamnSevern -

""He is of average speed, average athletic-wise, white guy, average-looking, and he wrestles guys."

And now people are calling Benson racist because of the title Phone Post

In a list of bad things he adds the fact that he's white.  How is that not racist?

He wasn't listing bad things. He was giving reasons why he is just another guy, yet stands out. He's an average fighter, just another white wrestler, doesn't have a super exciting style, yet he is a big mma star because of his promoting ability. What other white wrestler that just controls his opponents is a star? He is complimenting Chael in the article for the way he promotes. Phone Post
11/6/12 11:08 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
917 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/06/12 11:07 AM

Bendo just needs to tie all his comments in now and say something about average white guys who smoke.

11/6/12 11:10 AM

Glovegate - 
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 
x Anchor x - 
x Anchor x - 
DamnSevern -

Regardless if the comments were taken out of context, there was still no good reason to comment on the color of his skin, it has no bearing what so ever. Plus when you consider the obvious negative intent behind calling Sonnens skills "average" and for no good reason decide to mention his race, it's actually understandable for once why the writer titled the article that way.

I'm someone who generally feels the public over reacts when it comes to what should be construed as offensive or not; but it's very difficult for me to defend this senseless racial remark. Phone Post

there was a reason to comment on it whether or not u agree...hes saying guys like sonnen in the ufc and mma are a dime a dozen, but sonnen is marketable because of his mouth

The color of your skin has absolutely no bearing what so ever , no matter his you spin it. To suggest they guys like Sonnen are a dime a dozen and that his skin color has some sort of importance when considering his "worth" in relation to a "dime" is simply racist. To argue that is just weak. Phone Post

what do u mean it has no bearing? ever hear of demographics? he was talking about marketability...whether you like it or not, race does impact marketability...look at the brazil cards or the china cards or the england cards or the candian cards...do u see a trend there or do u think its all just a big coincidence?

I don't know if you've noticed but here in Canada we have non-whites.  Canadian cards have Canadians on them, not just white Canadians.  So no, it's not about race.

Maybe for some small segment of the population it is but Bendo's comments put him in that segment so if you condemn one you have to condemn the other.

Personally, I don't care what colour people are.

you are missing the point..for brazil cards, there are a lot of brazilians on the card...for the macau card, there are a lot of asians...for a canadian card, there are a lot of canadians....who u are and where u come from of course has a bearing on marketability

11/6/12 11:11 AM

Glovegate - 
Glovegate - 

So as he's listing bad things about Sonnen he throws in the fact that he's white and people are defending him?  Sounds pretty racist to me.  If Sonnen had said 'oh Bendo goes to decision a lot, gets knocked down fairly regularly, not the fastest guy in the division, cuts a lot of weight to fight smaller guys and he's black' would anyone be defending him?

When are people going to stop with this petty race crap? 

hes not listing bad things..hes listing reasons why chael does not stand out..if u look at the ufc roster, most guys are white..thats called reality..

i hope u guys that are construing bendo as a racist never cry about black people pulling the "race card" ever again

They're not negative?

So saying someone is "of average speed" is a compliment?  Saying someone is "average athletic-wise" is a compliment?  Saying someone is "average looking" is a compliment?  Saying he "holds guys down" and implying he LnP's is a compliment?

There wasn't one thing he said that was positive.  And no it wasn't nuetral.  If someone said all those things about you, you would take offense.

So he lists a bunch of things that are negative and one of them is the colour of his skin.  How is that not racist?

And I would only "cry" about someone pulling the race card if it was fairly obvious race had nothing to do with whatever injustice, real or imagined, they're talking about.  Unlike some people, I apply the same standards to all people, regardless of race.

hes saying he is average..its pretty clear because he says average multiple times..u r reading into it something that is not there...

11/6/12 11:11 AM
Beefy Wellington

Goderson Silva - What's he mean by "white guy" Phone Post
Can't jump :-/ Phone Post
11/6/12 11:14 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
917 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beefy Wellington - 
Goderson Silva - What's he mean by "white guy" Phone Post
Can't jump :-/ Phone Post

But can he dance? haha

11/6/12 11:15 AM

x Anchor x - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
Glovegate -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
DamnSevern -

And now people are calling Benson racist because of the title Phone Post

In a list of bad things he adds the fact that he's white.  How is that not racist?

He wasn't listing bad things. He was giving reasons why he is just another guy, yet stands out. He's an average fighter, just another white wrestler, doesn't have a super exciting style, yet he is a big mma star because of his promoting ability. What other white wrestler that just controls his opponents is a star? He is complimenting Chael in the article for the way he promotes. Phone Post
Fitch is a house hold name amongst MMA fans, Brock Lesnar did pretty well for himself; and the last time I checked GSP wresters a lot too.

Regardless though, too many of you are failing to realize that this is racist no matter how you spin it. All he had to say was "Chael is just another average wrestler who blankets his opponents". There is NO good reason to mention his race. Phil Davis is a boring wrestler too, does it mean anything at all that he's black?? No it doesn't. Phone Post

dude its not racist...if u want to construe it that way, fine, but dont act like that is the only interpreation...

all he was saying is that chael is average..he even said average LOOKS..what does that have to do with fighting? nothing! hes just saying he doesnt stand out in terms of any of his attributes or characteristics

11/6/12 11:17 AM

Glovegate - 
Glovegate - 
Glovegate - 

So as he's listing bad things about Sonnen he throws in the fact that he's white and people are defending him?  Sounds pretty racist to me.  If Sonnen had said 'oh Bendo goes to decision a lot, gets knocked down fairly regularly, not the fastest guy in the division, cuts a lot of weight to fight smaller guys and he's black' would anyone be defending him?

When are people going to stop with this petty race crap? 

hes not listing bad things..hes listing reasons why chael does not stand out..if u look at the ufc roster, most guys are white..thats called reality..

i hope u guys that are construing bendo as a racist never cry about black people pulling the "race card" ever again

They're not negative?

So saying someone is "of average speed" is a compliment?  Saying someone is "average athletic-wise" is a compliment?  Saying someone is "average looking" is a compliment?  Saying he "holds guys down" and implying he LnP's is a compliment?

There wasn't one thing he said that was positive.  And no it wasn't nuetral.  If someone said all those things about you, you would take offense.

So he lists a bunch of things that are negative and one of them is the colour of his skin.  How is that not racist?

And I would only "cry" about someone pulling the race card if it was fairly obvious race had nothing to do with whatever injustice, real or imagined, they're talking about.  Unlike some people, I apply the same standards to all people, regardless of race.

hes saying he is average..its pretty clear because he says average multiple times..u r reading into it something that is not there...

Ok.

You are of average intelligence.  Don't read too much into it though.

nice...you know youve won an argument when someone cant reply intelligently to your response and just resorts to infantile personal attacks...

11/6/12 11:18 AM
ranier wolfcastle
1532 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11/6/12 11:18 AM
Chris
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO
The title is a title. If it was a quote it would have been quoted. He said Sonnen was white. He said he was average. 'Average white guy' isn't a stretch. Phone Post
11/6/12 11:19 AM
lgi

Cain Velasquez is an average Mexican. Jon Jones is an average Black Guy.
11/6/12 11:21 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The 28-year-old champ sees the benefit of hype, being an avid fan of onetime middleweight title challenger and current light-heavyweight contender Chael Sonnen."

He is trying to compliment Chael. Phone Post
11/6/12 11:22 AM

Chris -  The title is a title. If it was a quote it would have been quoted. He said Sonnen was white. He said he was average. 'Average white guy' isn't a stretch. Phone Post

cmon bro...i thought u guys turned over a new leaf when blaf checked u, but apaprently not..of course u took the most inflammatory statement in the entire interview out of context and used it as a headline..it absolutely gives a different impression as a headline than it does as part of the larger interview and twists how people perceive what he said...

this is something supercalo would be proud of

11/6/12 11:22 AM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Lajoie gets that title Mr. Bendo Phone Post
11/6/12 11:23 AM
KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman - The white people on here crying racism is embarrassing me as a white person. Shuddering embarrassing. Pussies. Phone Post
To me it's more if the double standard that comes with comments like this.

If someone had said kimbo was just another average black boxer all hell would break loose. There was simply no need to throw race into the mix and he did.

War Diaz. Phone Post
11/6/12 11:23 AM
Ephialtes

Racist comment. Benson shoud be fired! I'm sure he will get away with it since he's not White.
11/6/12 11:28 AM
LittleJoeMama
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bendo isn't black. Neither is Obama or Tiger.

As a mixed race person I'm not too keen on Bendo's comment.

War Diaz.
11/6/12 11:29 AM
Ephialtes

Chris -  The title is a title. If it was a quote it would have been quoted. He said Sonnen was white. He said he was average. 'Average white guy' isn't a stretch. Phone Post

This is correct. Benson had no reason to bring up Chael's race to begin with. If a White fighter did this, everyone would be upset.

Benson made racist remarks and needs to either be fired or apologize.
11/6/12 11:31 AM
GJTT_JediJitsu
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

STEVIAS SEX TOY #2 -
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye - Average white guy checking in.

WAR DIAZ Phone Post
. Phone Post
. Phone Post
11/6/12 11:33 AM
GJTT_JediJitsu
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just lost all respect for this fraud.

Does he not know that Jesus is white? Phone Post
11/6/12 11:34 AM
Red Arrow

i will never pay for a card that has this racist pos bendo . the racist apologists in this thread should get there faced stomped

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.