UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Was Lindland DQ at no gi worlds legit?

11/6/12 1:21 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The last controversial wrestling arts disqualification Matt Lindland was involved with ended up in the US Supreme Court.

During the 2000 Sydney Olympic Greco trials in Dallas,Texas, Lindland faced Keith Sieracki in a 167 1/2-pound division qualifying match.

During the match, perhaps inspired by Tyson vs Holyfield in 1997 - the reasons that have never been fully explained - Lindland bit his opponent, drawing blood. Lindland then lost the match 2-1, but complained he had been tripped.

A rematch was ordered, which Lindland won. The US Olympic Committee however refused to change the roster.

Lindland sued, and the case made it to the Supreme Court, where Justice John Paul Stevens left intact lower court rulings that forced Lindland's reinstatement.

Lindland went on to win a silver medal for the USA.

Stakes this time were lower. But first, this is the bite:

At the 2012 No Go Worlds last weekend, Matt Lindland competed as a purple belt in the Senior 2 (40+) division, and appears to uppercut opponent Otavio Camargo. Camarago immediately receives medical attention to address any blood issues.

Lindland then appears to shake out his right hand.

Finally, the referee DQed Lindland, leaving Camargo the automatically winner of the division, as they were the sole two competitors.

This time an appeal was made not to the Supereme court, but to The Team Quest Facebook with references to a "phantom punch" and the video below. (alleged uppercut at 2:10 mark)

The BudoVideos live PPV broadcast, which may become available, showed a different and clearer angle of the movement that led to the DQ.

11/6/12 1:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He did smack him pretty good in the nose, but it looked like he was just handfighting.

11/6/12 1:24 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Wrassle, wrassle
11/6/12 1:30 PM
whoabro
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that's an 'uppercut'? lol
11/6/12 1:33 PM
John Nic

What is a guy with 20+ years of grappling experience doing competing as a purple belt?
11/6/12 1:38 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not many people in the stands for a world championship.
11/6/12 1:39 PM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

looked like he was reaching up for the neck grip or something and miss judged it?? could they not have just carried on?
11/6/12 1:43 PM
crowbar
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I spotted something similar at the 1:32 mark.

11/6/12 1:44 PM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nick diaz nut hugger - 
John Nic - What is a guy with 20+ years of grappling experience doing competing as a purple belt?
Wrestling and jiu jitsu not same Phone Post

Olympic medalist, over a decade as an MMA fighter... yeah, I'd expect him to be higher than purple belt.

Throughout the entire match Lindland was handfighting with something that looked like an uppercut. Would like to see the Budo video.

Anyone know why Lindland is competing? I'd like to know more about how he's trained for this and what attracted him to it. Just rewatched Barnett winning in 2009 and always enjoy non-BJJ guys coming to compete.
11/6/12 1:44 PM
Rival School

Uppercut a guy boom silver medalist in the no Gi worlds Phone Post
11/6/12 1:46 PM
SpaceCataz

looked more like an uppercut at the 1:30 mark lol
11/6/12 1:46 PM
cortXbomb

Looks like they were both doing a bit of that slapping shit. That's that shit I don't like.
11/6/12 1:47 PM
Subzero90

Arrive as Lindland was getting disqualified... "hey there's Lindland... there's Lindland being dqed." The IBJJF has a fairly pussified set and enforcement of rules.
11/6/12 1:49 PM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Linland has a history of cheating, Busta beating his ass 2x was karma.

11/6/12 1:49 PM
A_Butler
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like someone just isn't used to being heavy handed and hand fighting..... Tape that shit up and compete. Phone Post
11/6/12 1:50 PM
Kostakio
432 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm just throwing this out there (be sure to watch the entire vid).

11/6/12 2:13 PM
DanEzra
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kostakio - 

Interesting, but I don't understand what it has to do with the OP?

11/6/12 2:15 PM
Jack_Bauer
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crowbar - 

This. The "uppercut" at the 1:30 mark looks much worse.

11/6/12 2:25 PM
Canario
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had 7 year olds who have been hit harder in wrestling matches and cried less.

11/6/12 2:37 PM
NCAA92
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crowbar - 

That one was worse. Open hand up the middle. I watched the one at 2:10 first thought mabye he was digging for an underhook.

11/6/12 2:39 PM
Kostakio
432 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanEzra -
Kostakio - 

Interesting, but I don't understand what it has to do with the OP?

Who said it has to? Phone Post
11/6/12 2:40 PM
torquemada
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Surprised he was on the purple belt division. His grappling is higher level than that.
Just never got rank or sandbagging? Phone Post
11/6/12 3:11 PM
Billyz

torquemada -  Surprised he was on the purple belt division. His grappling is higher level than that.

my guess is he never got rank for training in the Gi. Didn't he compete in Abu Dhabi? Weird that he is considered/competing "purple belt" in No Gi. Could understand in Gi

as for the uppercut .. thats bullshit. it was hand fighting all the way and he even jammed his hand doing it lol
11/6/12 3:39 PM
Cyril Jeff
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

didn't seem like much imo, maybe the other angle shows something, looks like he was fighting off wrist control and gave him a little shive, happens all the time, right?

11/6/12 3:39 PM
cortXbomb

nick diaz nut hugger - 
torquemada - Surprised he was on the purple belt division. His grappling is higher level than that.
Ok serious question - does having years of wrestling experience automatically promote a guy to a jits brown belt? Phone Post

Definitely not, but I'd say an Olympic medal in wrestling puts you in the expert category for no-gi grappling. Combined with 15 years of MMA experience, I can see how competing in the purple division would be considered sandbagging.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.