UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is Joe Lauzon MMA's biggest risk taker?

11/6/12 9:46 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

For Joe, it’s always all or nothing. There is no middle ground for this man. He shows up, and he’s focused on one motto: finish or be finished. As a result, he hangs his cajones out there every single time he sets foot in the octagon

Outside of Anderson Silva, Joe Lauzon is the most thrilling fighter to watch on the UFC roster

If he gets the back, he’s going to do everything in his power to sink a fight-ending choke; errant arm, he’s searching for the armbar. Being mauled from the bottom? He’s tossing those legs up for a triangle. If he staggers you during a striking exchange, a hellacious barrage of strikes rides the wake

Joe Lauzon always—and I truly mean that—always takes huge risks. With 22 career victories under his belt, he’s never allowed a winning performance to go to the judges. If that’s not a statistic indicative of a risk taker, then I just don’t know what is.

read entire article...

10. Jon Jones

9. Chan Sung Jung

8. Shinya Aoki

7. Vitor Belfort

6. Nate Diaz

5. Carlos Condit

4. Mauricio Rua

3. Anderson Silva

2. Pat Barry

Do you agree with the list? If Joe Lauzon isn't number one, who should be? Who's missing from the list that should be there? Who's on the list that shouldn't be?

11/6/12 9:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
YellowWrkedByTapIn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say Wanderlei is def a top 10.

11/6/12 9:50 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lee Murray and Datsik Phone Post
11/6/12 9:53 PM
12SixElbow
629 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FedorEmilioEstevez -  Lee Murray and Datsik Phone Post

I hate to be the bad news guy, but those guys haven't fought in 8 and 6 years.

Just a thought

11/6/12 9:54 PM
demonbasketball04
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit soured me after his last performance against Diaz.

Take him off and put Wand in there. Phone Post
11/6/12 9:54 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

Hell, Leben is another.

What about Leonard Garcia?

11/6/12 9:57 PM
Pancake Syrup
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Biggest risk taker and the most entertaining mma fighter imo.....
11/6/12 9:59 PM
Jason
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin

"Outside of Anderson Silva, Joe Lauzon is the most thrilling fighter to watch on the UFC roster"

that some nice props right there!

11/6/12 10:00 PM
UGCTT_Gaspare

No Nick Diaz??? Phone Post
11/6/12 10:05 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

Nick and Nate don't do much risk taking, other than taunting when their opponent's backing up. I'd say they're Top 15. Phone Post
11/6/12 10:10 PM
B0NESAW
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lee Murray hands down
11/6/12 10:12 PM
demonsurge
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really depends on what timespan you're talking about. I hate lesnar, but the dude took some serious career / financial risks.

11/6/12 10:24 PM
choadler
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe had ALWAYS beed the man as far as going for the kill. Always. Saw him fight in the small clubs in MA long ago. Will always be my favorite fighter.

The others on the list? Don't really think many deserve to be there outside Nate.

How bout Belcher going for the leglock in his last fight? Doesn't even break the top 10?!?!

11/6/12 10:37 PM
Nexuscrawlers
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Win or lose I'll always be a fan. Phone Post
11/6/12 10:43 PM
Nexuscrawlers
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bornop -
CREamed_by_DongJ -
Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman -  Words can't describe how much I love Joe Lauzon. Phone Post

this
You have excellent taste for someone with -798 Phone Post
People misunderstand CRE, but he's quality people. Phone Post
11/6/12 10:48 PM
I AM A MOFO
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many MMA fighters would take a fight against one of K1's best heavyweights, while NOT a HW themselves (small LHW at best), under SPECIAL rules that basically nullified grappling or winning by ANY method other than KO?

Or how many big name MMA fighters would accept a fight against another K1 stand out (while champ, no less) who had 100 lbs on them, on just a couple weeks notice, and come out of the gate with an aggressive barrage of punches?

Be small at LHW and enter open weight tournaments that include 3 of the top 4 heavyweights in the world (also while champ)?

Sit back stage hooked up to an IV with a 103 degree fever only to pull that shit out and go defend his title against someone like Hendo (who at the time, was called a "can" and "gimme" matchup to get this guy over with US fans)?

Only one that I know of. His name is Wandy, and he shits on your list.

11/6/12 10:56 PM
Knightsofthefirekingdom
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will never miss, always re-watch his fights Phone Post
11/6/12 10:58 PM
Jordan8673

Anybody ever heard of fedor? Pre ufc crocop.. Don Frye.. This list must be post TUF Phone Post
11/6/12 10:58 PM
Mmanizzle

Edited: 11/06/12 10:58 PM
Fedor

Gary Goodridge in the early days...
11/6/12 11:01 PM
Jordan8673

Wand/Fedor should be tied for #1 Phone Post
11/6/12 11:04 PM
tinytuffnutz
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Idk, but he's exciting to watch and one of my favorites. Biggest risk taker in MMA? That's hard to determine. 

11/6/12 11:05 PM
I AM A MOFO
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not to mention fights heavy handed and dangerous fighters with little regard for his own chin. Lets guys like Leben tee off freely (not always with good results, lol) as he goes for a plum, etc..

Talking about the 2nd CC fight, Wandy had his eye practically crushed and couldn't see any of his left strikes coming. Didn't go all defensive and try to survive, got pissed and charged like an animal. Said he knew he was gonna get KOd by a kick but was angry and just wanted to punch CC in the face before it happened.

Wandy doesn't just risk WINS, or giving up positions, he risks his own fucking brain and health just to punch motherfuckers in the mouth.

I'm a huge Lauzon fan, but he doesn't compare to that kinda stuff, imo. Going for a choke when you have the back, or going for the finish when someone is hurt is not "risk taking" (though it is admirable), it's just NOT stalling and trying to win on points. He could def. Go on the list, but..

Unless Lauzon does something like take a fight with Nick Diaz @ 170 and spend most of the time trying to outbox him, he (and likely nobody else) doesn't belong ahead of the likes of Wandy.

Seriously, whoever made that list deserves a Pride style soccer kick from Wand.
11/6/12 11:05 PM
UGCTT_chuckles1
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Lauzon is the best. I love watching him fight and he really does set the bar as far as exciting fights. Phone Post
11/6/12 11:08 PM
Mmanizzle

I AM A MOFO - How many MMA fighters would take a fight against one of K1's best heavyweights, while NOT a HW themselves (small LHW at best), under SPECIAL rules that basically nullified grappling or winning by ANY method other than KO?

Or how many big name MMA fighters would accept a fight against another K1 stand out (while champ, no less) who had 100 lbs on them, on just a couple weeks notice, and come out of the gate with an aggressive barrage of punches?

Be small at LHW and enter open weight tournaments that include 3 of the top 4 heavyweights in the world (also while champ)?

Sit back stage hooked up to an IV with a 103 degree fever only to pull that shit out and go defend his title against someone like Hendo (who at the time, was called a "can" and "gimme" matchup to get this guy over with US fans)?

Only one that I know of. His name is Wandy, and he shits on your list.

^^ one of the exciting things about combat sports is to see guys like Overeem dominate (steroids or not) in K-1 and MMA. Not sure he could've done it without roids, but he's doing it and will continue to do it.

Although Frank Shamrock is on Dana's shit list, this is the philosophy that he used to try and preach back in the day, is to bring up boxers, kickboxers, and BJJ guys and have them compete in all disciplines at the highest levels.

What's impressive is there are guys like Nam Phan that do have professional boxing experience who is also a BJJ black belt. Guys don't stay in it as long because you have to be Pacquiao/Mayweather in order to make some money. MMA is where the money is right now.

Back to the thread - the type of buzz that Bones Jones gets now is what Fedor had in Pride. Exciting to watch.

And yes, Lauzon does take big risks and is one of the most technical guys out there. He doesn't seem to be a natural fighter and punk kid who had street fights, but someone who just worked hard as fuck to work on his skills, practiced and dedicated his life to the sport. Props to Lauzon.
11/6/12 11:08 PM
demonsurge
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've thought about this more.

Melvin Manhoef should be #1 if you're talking about active fighters.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.