UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> The GG's favourite and least fave Marvel artists??

11/13/12 12:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kneeblock
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve Dillon, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, George Perez, Alan Davis and Bryan Hitch all suffer from "one face" syndrome if we're being fair.

Dillon's is more noticeable because of the way he draws said faces, but to be fair you don't go to Dillon for distinctive faces. You go to him because he's one of the best storytellers in comics history. Phone Post
11/13/12 1:20 PM
Stickgrappler
1487 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

true on Jack King Kirby and Steve Ditko... didn't think that of George Perez though. thinking Avengers and New Teen Titans.
11/13/12 1:41 PM
Hemlock
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kneeblock -  Steve Dillon, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, George Perez, Alan Davis and Bryan Hitch all suffer from "one face" syndrome if we're being fair.

Dillon's is more noticeable because of the way he draws said faces, but to be fair you don't go to Dillon for distinctive faces. You go to him because he's one of the best storytellers in comics history. Phone Post

That Punisher Max run was so. fucking. good!
11/13/12 6:27 PM
Hercules Rockerfeller
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll always have a soft spot for Jim Lee since he was doing X-Men when i got into comics.
11/13/12 7:46 PM
MarkRobinson
1199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to love Jim Lees stuff for the same reason but i think his work is really boring nowadays. 

And good point on Dillon, Kneeblock. +1 

11/14/12 3:00 AM
Built Like A Fedor
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Klaus Janson is my least favorite artist. Also not a fan of Andy Kubert.

I really like Copiel.. I was a fan of his since his work on Heir to the Empire for Dark Horse, and he's gotten worlds better since then. Phone Post
11/14/12 3:01 AM
Kneeblock
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stickgrappler - true on Jack King Kirby and Steve Ditko... didn't think that of George Perez though. thinking Avengers and New Teen Titans.

Look at Titans and Avengers. The GP face is a long running joke in the comics industry. The man of 1,000 faces...that are identical.

11/14/12 12:11 PM
Stickgrappler
1487 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kneeblock - 
Stickgrappler - true on Jack King Kirby and Steve Ditko... didn't think that of George Perez though. thinking Avengers and New Teen Titans.

Look at Titans and Avengers. The GP face is a long running joke in the comics industry. The man of 1,000 faces...that are identical.

hmm... i don't recall that... but then again, i read it 30 yrs ago... will have to check it out

dayum... we should make a thread for GG knowledge of all the 'long running joke in the comics industry'
11/19/12 10:26 PM
Thomas Covenant
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humberto Ramos is far and away one of my least favorite artists ever. His work on New X-men, among others completely prevented me from buying the title.

I'm a little old school for my favorites. I really enjoyed John Byrne. His art is vey smooth if a bit circular. Ironically almost the polar opposite of Ramos. I obviously like Jim Lee, and I really enjoyed Doug Mahnke in several Green Lantern issues.
11/20/12 12:28 AM
MarkRobinson
1199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im a big fan of Ramos as well. I really enjoyed his Crimson book on Image back in the day. I tend to like a lot of artist that have a somewhat animation style exaggerated facial expressions, anatomy and gestures. 

Guys like him and Joe Madureira/ 

\

11/20/12 12:48 AM
Kneeblock

lol, i think you misread Thomas Covenant's post MR.

11/20/12 1:38 AM
MarkRobinson

Edited: 11/20/12 1:38 AM

haha sure did. 

in my defense i read it last night in a drunken stupor and came to post without rereading it today/ 

Also im retarded. 

lol

11/20/12 1:54 AM
Liyon
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coipel is awesome. Pretty much the perfect blend of realism and cartoony. His panel construction and sense of action is also amazing.

Leinel Yu is really good, too. Love his pin-ups in pencils.

Esad Ribic (Ultimates, Uncanny X-force) is friggin amazing.

Jerome Opena (Uncanny X-force) is like a fine art artist doing comic books.

11/20/12 2:02 AM
Thomas Covenant
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark - I love the art in the pic you posted. Far less "cartoony" (for lack of a better term) then Ramos' stuff. All due respect. :-)

Opena is amazing too.
11/20/12 12:23 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My usual answers:

Favorite: Moebius, Bill Sienkiewicz, Art Adams, Mike Mignola, P.Craig Russell

Worst: Brett Blevins

11/20/12 1:20 PM
Stickgrappler

wtf orcus... VU... was going to +1 taba until i saw you

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.