UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Elbow injury

11/7/12 10:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dougie
1050 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hyper extended my elbow and now I cannot bend it. I have in the past broken this elbow, (fracture) and I also have early onset arthritis due to overuse.

11/7/12 10:57 AM
Dougie
1050 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Currently cannot bend elbow up to reach my ear. I have decided to stop sparring, hitting the pads, and grappling until I figure what to do. I'll just work my cardio.

11/7/12 10:58 AM
Dougie

I finally came to this conclusion as I can't even do a few chin ups anymore without a lot of pain. I thought I would just work through it.

11/7/12 10:59 AM
Dougie

I have been taking ibuprophin to reduce swelling, using heat bags when resting, sitting in the hot tub etc. When I use heat it feels great. I had been using ice to reduce swelling after working out.

11/7/12 11:00 AM
Dougie

Can I get some suggestions on what I can use to speed this up and get back on the Mats?

11/25/12 1:39 PM
Popolop
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my opinion, although heat feels good, it is not the best modality to promote healing. The reason I feel this way is because heat causes things to expand, for a lack of a better term. That means you blood vessels dilate and your tissues become looser. The problem with heat is that when it causes your blood vessels to dilate, it increases blood flow to the injured area and this will cause more bleeding, which means more swelling, which means more pain and less ROM. There are many who support contrast therapy that includes using heat for 5 minutes then cold for 5 minutes to create a pumping action to hopefully get swelling out. I have never used this method so I don't know how well it works.
If I were in your position and there was no pop, snap, or click that you felt or heard, I would back off of all weight workouts that are going to involve elbow flexion, wrist pronation and just work on ROM for a week or so and just ice, ice, ice to control the swelling. Once you have FULL ROM, start working on strengthening, but be very conservative. Don't do any workouts that are going to be bring your elbow into hyper-extension. Make sure you do not neglect your pronators or supinators during the strengthening. If you have a friend willing to help, you can do PNF which is strengthening and stretching muscle at the same time. I would really only do this for pronators because there is a risk of of tendonitis with your injury. PNF for this would be the athlete sitting with elbow flexed to 90 degrees and resting on a flat surface with the wrist hanging off, the friend would basically act like hes shaking your hand (grip wise) and bring you to your endpoint on supination, make sure the elbow doesn't flare out. With your wrist full supine, you will actively pronate as your friend gives your resistance all the way through your ROM. Your friend would then actively return you full supination then repeat the process. I would do 5 at a time for this.
I would do the above for 4-6 weeks minimum and after that you can go back normal activity. If you wanted to work light mitts, you can get an ace wrap and ask someone to start below the elbow and basically figure 8 going above and below the joint. The "X" from the figure 8 should be on the elbow joint, on the anterior aspect (side with the biceps). I would be very careful around the 3 week mark because that is the time that athletes generally feel they are ready to go full when physiologically they are not. For grappling, I would say do what you can when you feel comfortable. Maybe work on some flow rolling with a partner you trust and slowly build the intensity as your recovery continues. Holding Thai pads might irritate your elbow but shouldn't cause more trauma. If you figure 8 wrap your elbow, you might be comfortable doing some tech sparring. Ill be checking in once a day for the next week or so if you have any questions.
If you felt a pop, snap, or click, I would completely back off of it except for ROM and ice, as well as going to see a Dr. so he/she can assess your ligaments/capsule. If you heard a pop, snap, or click and cannot afford to go to a Dr. your best bet would be what is stated above.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.