UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why Tim Kennedy loves serving his country

11/7/12 3:20 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Time for a Fight: Staff Sergeant Tim Kennedy

If you were to create the perfect Soldier, it might start with the warrior’s spirit, world-class athleticism, and the ability to hit a bulls-eye from half a mile away. But perfection is an unreal goal, isn’t it?

Don’t tell that to Army National Guard Staff Sergeant (SSG) Tim Kennedy.

Seriously.

Warrior’s spirit? Check. SSG Kennedy is a Ranger Qualified Green Beret and decorated combat veteran who was awarded the Bronze Star for valor under fire.

World class athlete? Check. With an impressive 14-4 professional mixed martial arts record, SSG Kennedy is the 16th ranked middleweight in the MMA Combined Rankings. That’s number 16 in the world. The whole world.

Straight shooter? Check. SSG Kennedy is a Special Forces Sniper and can also put four shots into a one-inch grouping with an assault rifle while on the move.

SSG Kennedy is also a husband and a father. He has been featured on multiple television programs. He works out two or three times a day (a DAY!).

And to relax? Does he crack open a cold one and watch the game? No. He cooks.

Translation: He is one tough, motivated, and dedicated guy, but there’s one thing not even SSG Kennedy can do: twist the space-time continuum.

“I love to fight, I love to shoot, and I love being a Green Beret,” SSG Kennedy said. “But I didn’t have time to do it all.”

That could easily be the understatement of the century. When he walked into an Army recruiting office in 2004 and signed up to pursue membership in the elite Green Berets, he was already a professional MMA fighter on his way up the charts with a 5-1 record.

Though he did manage to continue his fighting career while also being an active duty Soldier, becoming a Green Beret, especially one as accomplished as SSG Kennedy, was no simple matter. It required 100 percent commitment from Basic Combat Training through multiple overseas deployments. In between were Advanced Individual Training, Special Forces Assessment and Selection, Special Forces Qualifying Course, Airborne and Ranger training, and Special Forces Sniper School.

You can see how this might cause some schedule conflicts with a professional sports career. In fact, in 2004, 2005, and 2008, SSG Kennedy had no professional bouts, though he did win the Army-wide Combatives tournament in the Light-Heavyweight division each year from 2005 to 2007.

“I was always fighting for time,” he said. “There was never enough time to train, to fight, and to be a Soldier. After I enlisted, I just didn’t have time to fight as much as I wanted to.”

But there was no way he was giving up the uniform.

“Being in a Special Forces unit is so much more important than yourself,” SSG Kennedy said. “It’s eye-opening and humbling. Whatever you’re doing is irrelevant unless you’re doing it for the team. It’s about self-sacrifice and selfless service. If you can give yourself over to that, you’ll experience some of the most marvelous and spectacular things.”

After five years on active duty, SSG Kennedy found a solution in the Texas Army National Guard, which allowed him the time to become a full-time MMA fighter while continuing his Special Forces career.

“The Guard was absolutely the best option for me to do the two things I love: to fight and continue being a Soldier,” SSG Kennedy said. “It was a dream come true.”

On July 14, 2012, SSG Kennedy fought a tough bout in Portland for the Strikeforce middleweight belt. He lost a close decision, but he’s not willing to concede defeat so easily.

“The characteristics it takes to be a successful Soldier are the same characteristics required to be a successful fighter. They complement each other. It’s all about hard work, discipline, and personal sacrifice.”

In short, Soldiers and fighters never give up.

“My story is only half a story so far,” SSG Kennedy said. “I still have more things I have to do. I want to be ranked number 1. I’ve been close a couple times, but I haven’t made it yet.”

Operative term: yet.

Read entire article...

11/7/12 3:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
greenseed
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11/7/12 3:33 PM
Leck Brosnar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't even know Kennedy was in the army
11/7/12 3:40 PM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
2603 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you to all who serve our country! Phone Post
11/7/12 3:45 PM
knuckleballs

Does Tim Kennedy fight for the troops?

I know Tito Ortiz does, but i was wondering if Tim Kennedy does, too. This article forgot to mention this, which is fucking bullshit.

11/7/12 4:13 PM
GelderdEnd

Leck Brosnar - I didn't even know Kennedy was in the army
This....I never knew Phone Post
11/7/12 4:47 PM
AnakinHelwani
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's also annoying.

Brian Stann is the man.

11/7/12 4:47 PM
GarlicSauce

"I kill brown people, therefore I'm good. USA! USA!"

- Tim Kennedy's philosophy
11/7/12 4:55 PM
Addicted To Cold Turkey

Afghanistan attacks us so we invade Iraq. Makes no sense. Thats like Korea attacking the USA and then we invade Japan. "Lets kill them as well there Asian too."(Use Southern Hick Voice)
11/7/12 5:05 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm starting to believe Tim's only in the Army so he can gloat about it. Shut the fuck up, and fight already, damn it.
11/7/12 5:08 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

Keep the posts respectful guys. Thank you.

11/7/12 5:15 PM
reversal06
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll never understand all the Tim hate on here. I train with the guy and he helps me a lot even though I'm a lowly ammy fighter. I don't share his beliefs in politics but I respect a guy willing to lay his life on the line for his principals.
I had a friend who was an old colonel in the army and an enormous fan of Tim's. I asked if Tim could sign something for him, and Tim said "Fuck that. I'll buy him lunch" And so he did, two days later. Made the guy's year.
And for the record, he almost never talks about the military in everyday life like some of you like to believe. He just uses his time in the spotlight to bring attention to his cause. But oh well, haters gonna hate. Just my two cents.
11/7/12 5:23 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

Calo vu too.

11/7/12 5:58 PM
reversal06
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo -
reversal06 - I'll never understand all the Tim hate on here. I train with the guy and he helps me a lot even though I'm a lowly ammy fighter. I don't share his beliefs in politics but I respect a guy willing to lay his life on the line for his principals.
I had a friend who was an old colonel in the army and an enormous fan of Tim's. I asked if Tim could sign something for him, and Tim said "Fuck that. I'll buy him lunch" And so he did, two days later. Made the guy's year.
And for the record, he almost never talks about the military in everyday life like some of you like to believe. He just uses his time in the spotlight to bring attention to his cause. But oh well, haters gonna hate. Just my two cents.

voted up brotha, bringing truth to the lies and mistruths.

Appreciate it calo. Phone Post
11/7/12 8:16 PM
SunnyKO'd my SN
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tim Kennedy was in the military? Wtf. Learn something new every day.
11/7/12 8:19 PM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

greenseed - 

That made me laugh so hard.
Thank you.
11/7/12 8:41 PM
Megatherium
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo - 
Addicted To Cold Turkey - Afghanistan attacks us so we invade Iraq. Makes no sense. Thats like Korea attacking the USA and then we invade Japan. "Lets kill them as well there Asian too."(Use Southern Hick Voice)

if you knew geographical and arab land it wood make perfect sense brotha, fact is the terrorist go across the border from ganistan to iraq through the mountains, in tunnels, camels whatever, if they move they must be followed, cant just go like, oh well terrorists are gone thats too bad, get the job done thats whats needed.

Yup they is tunnel builders just like them dang 'ol Viet Cong. These crafty ones have done tunneled from the 'Ganistan clean under Iran and into the Iraq oil patch where they swindle the Iraq fellas outa theys oil by gettin' em hooked on their wicked Hindoo Kush Indica devil weed and then tradin' it fer bucket fulls of our God given crude and haulin' it back to 'ol 'Gani in them underground camel trains.

I would like to vote up superCalo for bringin' this outrage to the forum brethren here.
11/7/12 9:02 PM
SunnyKO'd my SN
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Addicted To Cold Turkey - Afghanistan attacks us so we invade Iraq. Makes no sense. Thats like Korea attacking the USA and then we invade Japan. "Lets kill them as well there Asian too."(Use Southern Hick Voice)

What do you mean, Afghanistan attacked you?

What the fuck are you talking about? Afghanistan can't attack ANYBODY. There is no fucking Afghanistan. Their fucking government has no influence outside of the gated community they operate in, it's a wild country of tribes and goat herders. It shouldn't even be considered a country, just "The land where Afghanis live", there is no state. They don't have cars. They don't have windows. They don't have shit, except for AK-47s, Qurans and a bit of livestock.

15 of 19 attackers were SAUDI ARABIAN. A wealthy country of religious extremism and complete social and political stagnation.

You've have 11 fucking years to learn about this. You think Afghanistan was involved, what the fuck. I mean, there's being a victim of disinformation, and then there's being willfully ignorant.
11/7/12 9:34 PM
SunnyKO'd my SN

superCalo - 
SunnyKO'd my SN - 

What the fuck are you talking about? Afghanistan can't attack ANYBODY. There is no fucking Afghanistan. Their fucking government has no influence outside of the gated community they operate in, it's a wild country of tribes and goat herders. It shouldn't even be considered a country, just "The land where Afghanis live", there is no state. They don't have cars. They don't have windows. They don't have shit, except for AK-47s, Qurans and a bit of livestock.

15 of 19 attackers were SAUDI ARABIAN. A wealthy country of religious extremism and complete social and political stagnation.

You've have 11 fucking years to learn about this. You think Afghanistan was involved, what the fuck. I mean, there's being a victim of disinformation, and then there's being willfully ignorant.

make no mistake the afganistan has attacked many countries the russia, england, USA you look at the past and it will tell you the future, they trained all those saudi arab guys, they trained those guys that betrayed their own country and joined up with the afganistan to train in those mountains, they attacked and they continue to attack best you turn your blinkers off some time son and see whats happening out there instead of your own little corner of the world.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.
11/7/12 9:39 PM
KevinMcAllister
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SunnyKO'd my SN -
superCalo - 
SunnyKO'd my SN - 

make no mistake the afganistan has attacked many countries the russia, england, USA you look at the past and it will tell you the future, they trained all those saudi arab guys, they trained those guys that betrayed their own country and joined up with the afganistan to train in those mountains, they attacked and they continue to attack best you turn your blinkers off some time son and see whats happening out there instead of your own little corner of the world.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.
Lol @ gorilla warfare Phone Post
11/7/12 9:46 PM
Megatherium
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They hate us because we're good.

Never forget that.

11/7/12 10:01 PM
Greenup
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reversal06 - I'll never understand all the Tim hate on here. I train with the guy and he helps me a lot even though I'm a lowly ammy fighter. I don't share his beliefs in politics but I respect a guy willing to lay his life on the line for his principals.
Good post. Must be awesome to train with a high level fighter. Phone Post
11/7/12 10:36 PM
reversal06

Greenup -
reversal06 - I'll never understand all the Tim hate on here. I train with the guy and he helps me a lot even though I'm a lowly ammy fighter. I don't share his beliefs in politics but I respect a guy willing to lay his life on the line for his principals.
Good post. Must be awesome to train with a high level fighter. Phone Post
Yeah I'm lucky. I just try to learn as much as I can. Phone Post
11/8/12 12:53 AM
Onnie804yamsaki

Great informative truthful post custom. And seeing the craziness through election make me. Lose all hope ppl will spend five seconds on a gogle.search to find.out about a huge death toll. I am ashamed but will not leave and continue to spit in the ocean preaching truth.
11/8/12 1:44 AM
crazydave
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian Stan Lite.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.