UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Marinovich Training TME

11/8/12 12:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mudderfaeg
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tell me anything you know about it. Can't really find a lot of in-depth facts about it. Yes, I've used google but I'm probably typing in the wrong keywords so I thought I'd come to the UG's own S&C Ground. Let me bang bro!

11/8/12 3:04 AM
Mudderfaeg
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

arnanderson - its a retarded hodgepodge of shit

Is it really?

11/8/12 10:06 AM
Ninjaplata
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They have referred to it as "nervous system training" and Marv Marinovich has a book out called "ProBodX: Proper Body Exercise" or something like that. Here's an in depth interview explaining his theory, http://www.probodx.com/press1.html

Heres a video from the sports science lab, where GSP had been rehabbing. Look at the rest of the videos on their channel as well. http://youtu.be/5s0t9M3QXtg

I've been playing around with this style of training and I must say, it's much more challenging than it looks. I'm trying to improve my vertical with this training style, I'll let you know if I have any breakthroughs.
11/8/12 4:46 PM
itisasitis
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To me, it looks like like moblity work/yoga/pilates with same weight added to the movements.

Ninjaplata, to be honest I don't think this type of training is going to do a lot for your vertical.

The time tested way to get your vertical up is to get your barbell squat up, and to... jump.
11/9/12 8:29 AM
Mudderfaeg

Ninjaplata - They have referred to it as "nervous system training" and Marv Marinovich has a book out called "ProBodX: Proper Body Exercise" or something like that. Here's an in depth interview explaining his theory, http://www.probodx.com/press1.html

Heres a video from the sports science lab, where GSP had been rehabbing. Look at the rest of the videos on their channel as well. http://youtu.be/5s0t9M3QXtg

I've been playing around with this style of training and I must say, it's much more challenging than it looks. I'm trying to improve my vertical with this training style, I'll let you know if I have any breakthroughs.
Keep me posted. I wanna raise my vert too Phone Post
11/9/12 8:32 AM
Mudderfaeg

itisasitis - To me, it looks like like moblity work/yoga/pilates with same weight added to the movements.

Ninjaplata, to be honest I don't think this type of training is going to do a lot for your vertical.

The time tested way to get your vertical up is to get your barbell squat up, and to... jump.
What can the Marinovich training help you out with? Flexibility obviously with all the stretching and Swiss ball exercises they do. Do you think that little upside down squat machine (the best way I can describe it right now lol) they use can help with explosiveness? Phone Post
11/9/12 9:43 AM
Ninjaplata
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you watch some more of their videos, they do a lot of plyos and bounding, I do believe that will help with my vertical.
11/9/12 11:51 AM
itisasitis
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, plyo's will help with you vertical to an extent.

What is your barbell squat at?

Look at the crazy athletes in the NFL. They are all very fast and can jump. What do they all have in common? They are strong as fuck.
11/9/12 5:57 PM
Mudderfaeg

If I'm not mistaken the NFL Combine (or whatever you call it, I'm not a Football fan) uses Marv Marinovich's training to gauge the players. That's what I heard from "The Marinovich Project" on Netflix.

11/9/12 9:53 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marinovich invented the 40 yard dash, broad jump, vertical leap, shuttle run and bench press?
11/9/12 10:20 PM
Mudderfaeg

419 - Marinovich invented the 40 yard dash, broad jump, vertical leap, shuttle run and bench press?
Just from what I've heard from the movie broski Phone Post
11/10/12 10:35 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every guy in the NFL is a superior athlete. They would be faster and stronger than regular people even if they never trained. That said, most of them train because they would lose their roster spot to another guy if they didn't. Of course, there are a few exceptional guys who don't need to train to be faster and stronger than other superior athletes. That's why it's difficult to know if a guy is an elite athlete because of his training or simply because he's naturally athletic.
11/10/12 11:23 AM
Ninjaplata

I like what 419 said^ is it the training or the athlete that makes them? look at Marcelo Garica, his activities outside of training jiu jitsu are riding a fixed gear bike and skateboarding or snowboarding. now compare that to Pablo popovich, who does a combine-like workout twice a day (exaggerating). Marcelo wins when they grapple.

Steve maxwell has similar philosophies. in an article on his website, he brings up the recent rise in popularity of O-lifting and argues the point, is O-lifting the best training for explosiveness or are the naturally fast-twitch/explosive people more likely to engage in that type of training?

I think the rule of specificity is the most important, one must practice what they want to be good at.

I like the marinovich training style because its like comprehensive pre-hab, it's specific to general movement patterns of humans. better movers ---> better athlete. Phone Post
11/10/12 1:26 PM
itisasitis

Yes, better movers = better atheltes, but if you don't have the horsepower it doesn't matter how great the driver is.
11/11/12 12:41 PM
Bry Bry
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ninjaplate-i think its both, naturally people will take to a sport or hobby that they are good at..so people that are naturally stronger with more fast twitch fibers would naturally go to events like oly lifting and football..i mean, you wont find too many Tim Sylvias in football or oly lifting..

in my experience you can only gain so much explosiveness..you are either fast or you are not and if you are turtle type slow to begin with, dont ever expect to become the next floyd mayweather..u rarely see fighters become noticeably faster as their career marches on..speed/explosiveness kills and most fighters would die to attain it but only certain few can seem to possess it.
11/11/12 6:14 PM
Mudderfaeg

Bry Bry - ninjaplate-i think its both, naturally people will take to a sport or hobby that they are good at..so people that are naturally stronger with more fast twitch fibers would naturally go to events like oly lifting and football..i mean, you wont find too many Tim Sylvias in football or oly lifting..

in my experience you can only gain so much explosiveness..you are either fast or you are not and if you are turtle type slow to begin with, dont ever expect to become the next floyd mayweather..u rarely see fighters become noticeably faster as their career marches on..speed/explosiveness kills and most fighters would die to attain it but only certain few can seem to possess it.
Soooo I can never dunk? Phone Post
11/11/12 6:18 PM
Mudderfaeg

It helped BJ Penn jump out of a 3-Foot pool. Will I be able to so that? I know genetics play a huge roll in my abilities. Phone Post
11/11/12 7:23 PM

Do we know for sure that BJ couldn't jump out of a pool but for training with Marinovich?
11/11/12 7:34 PM
Mudderfaeg

419 - Do we know for sure that BJ couldn't jump out of a pool but for training with Marinovich?
Well he is pretty chubby between fights Phone Post
11/12/12 5:41 PM
Bry Bry
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"i know genetics play a huge role in my abilities"

about 60-70% imo...

impossible to say what Bj penn could or couldnt do without a specific trainer..

take GSP, a good athlete, no matter the style of training he will never be a better athlete than Pete Spratt when it comes to explosiveness/speed..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.