UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Thiago Silva: I wasted 3 years of my life (at ATT)

11/8/12 2:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
1905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31504/ufc-on-fuel-tv-6s-thiago-silva-wasted-three-years-of-life-with-former-team.mma

"Once I moved to American Top Team, my life started going the wrong way," Silva said of the super camp, which has produced some of MMA's biggest names. "It wasn't a good team. I think I lost three years of my life training the wrong way. Their coaches didn't have much to teach the athletes. I'm glad I found a real team now and I now have the ability to get back on track." 

Silva has been training with Rashad Evans, Tyrone Spong, Vitor Belfort, Anthony Johnson and other Blackzilians at Jaco Hybrid Training Center in Florida. 

"We have a very strong and very complete team," Silva said. "We have wrestlers, strikers, jiu-jitsu. We have everything. 

"I wasted three years of my life [at ATT]. But ultimately it was my choice, my decision. I paid the price. Now I have to get back in the race." 

"All I have to do is get back to my old habits of working hard in the gym," he said. "We didn't train hard at ATT. I only noticed that after I left them."

11/8/12 2:32 PM
Russ
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow
Glad he found the right fit now though Phone Post
11/8/12 2:39 PM
guardbr8kr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good for him.
11/8/12 2:40 PM
ZombieAutoPilot

War thiago. Guys a killer, glad hes enjoying the new camp and hes working his ass off. Phone Post
11/8/12 2:41 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love this guy.

He messed up with the Vera fight, paid his price.

Always down to watch this dude fight.
nomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmm.

Kirik
1597 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter

I have been to ATT and trained there. Anyone who "wasted time" there has a problem. ATT does not have the problem. The idea that training there is not hard is, well, as Mike Tyson would say, ludicrous.

11/8/12 2:42 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nomoRomophobia -

Hmmm.

This Phone Post
11/8/12 2:46 PM
Ludelow

Kirik - 

I have been to ATT and trained there. Anyone who "wasted time" there has a problem. ATT does not have the problem. The idea that training there is not hard is, well, as Mike Tyson would say, ludicrous.

he meant, training at 80%
at the blackzillians the train at 100% every punch, kick,knee and sub.
11/8/12 2:50 PM
orcus

Cat Shannon - I think he would have a little more credibility if he had trained there for three weeks, and felt like he wasted his time.

Three years?

That's on him.

Isn't that what he said?

11/8/12 2:51 PM
HexRei

They couldn't even teach him how to cycle properly! and i thought they were experts at that...
11/8/12 2:52 PM
BrianStannFan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easier to blame the team than yourself...

3 years from now, "The Blackzillians were all about Rashad and Overeem, the coaches focused on their careers' and ignored the rest of us. I wasted my time there."

11/8/12 2:53 PM
Vicmister
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think even a good camp can be bad for certain fighters. Everyone trains differently and needs different coaches, resources and techniques to reach their potential. So maybe ATT wasn't good for him. That's fine, I understand. However you shouldn't take that long to figure out a camp isn't right for you and saying it's a waste of time is a little strong. Maybe he should have said their training style just didn't mesh with him and he's found a better home for himself personally now.
11/8/12 2:54 PM
GMan99
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

Fighter bashing?
11/8/12 2:54 PM
Calavaro
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

In my time I have noticed that different people have different needs in training.

Some needs their ass kicked daily, others do very well with a lighter approach. Clearly ATT and Silva didn't match well and the Blackzilliand style fits him better.

I couldn't say if either gym is better, but they might have different approaches to things.

Plus, it sounds like a PR piece so both the new team and himself gets our eyeballs a bit.

11/8/12 2:55 PM
BrianStannFan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ludelow - 
Kirik - 

he meant, training at 80%
at the blackzillians the train at 100% every punch, kick,knee and sub.

100% is damn near their loss percentage as well. If Reem loses his next fight that place is jinxed except for Sponge

11/8/12 2:58 PM
SunnyKO'd my SN
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very curious to see what Nedkov can bring. Banha was fucking him up, but Nedvok kept just throwing endless overhands, until he landed and fucked Cané up.

I don't think that is likely to be enough against Thiago Silva.
11/8/12 3:00 PM
stevekt
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

Do you trane UFC bro? Phone Post
11/8/12 3:03 PM
MMALOGIC

ATT is becoming antiquated and obsolete.  They were great at one time but just like other great gyms like Militech, Lions den, etc... they didnt evolve.

what top 5 fighters do they have now?   Thiago alves is winning the fight and hurts kampmann and his corner tells him to go for a takedown?

11/8/12 3:04 PM
Jons Forsberg

Warzone209 - 

lot of the top brazilian fighters make excuses when they lose, win, now even blaming training camps...It's not like he's on an olympic team he was free to go at any point and he didn't realize it after 3 years?!?!

agreed.
11/8/12 3:19 PM
6ULDV8
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whatever and glad he found his fit. He's super exciting to watch and I can't wait to see him this weekend.

11/8/12 3:23 PM
crowbar
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I`m saddened that the product placement with that Xyience Energy label is not facing directly at me.

11/8/12 3:28 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrianStannFan -

Easier to blame the team than yourself...

3 years from now, "The Blackzillians were all about Rashad and Overeem, the coaches focused on their careers' and ignored the rest of us. I wasted my time there."

I think it's just part of the fighter's mindset/confidence. He is probably telling himself "I didn't reach the level I wanted to because of ATT, NOW I can do it." Just part of them convincing themselves they can do it. I think it's a big reason for the excuses that get made.

I agree with you though... and I've yet to see any evidence that the Blackzillians have made anyone better than what they were at their previous camp. Phone Post
11/8/12 3:29 PM
jar of flies
798 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for him. If nothing else, his chances of being implicated in some sort of criminal investigation has been drastically reduced.
11/8/12 3:38 PM
6ULDV8
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And they also get asked stuff like this all the time and words tend to get twisted around a bit when the story needs a writing.

It probably wasn't so much he was bad-mouthing ATT as saying how much better it was to be where he currently is, because that's where he is right now.

I can dig it and love watching him fight, so War Thiago Silva.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.