UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Sidney Silva BJJ

11/8/12 4:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some folks have been telling me good things about Sidney Silva in AUS. Anyone trained there and can give me some insight on how is the training etc?
11/10/12 1:51 PM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any1? He's supposed to have been Wanderlei's coach...

Who did Wand get his BB from?
11/19/12 4:48 PM
Jorx

So... noone has heard of this great world famous coach about whom I've been told that I should be dieing to join his association. Interesting:)
11/19/12 5:41 PM
falsecrack
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dunno if it's the same sidney silva - must be, but he was teaching here in Hawaii awhile back.Fought in the local shows a good bit.

I think he's been in vegas for the past few years

I dunno what the australia scene is like jiu jitsu wise, but he's knowledgeable and has experience in the ring, though I only trained with him for about 2 or 3 months no gi...you could always go check out a class or two for yourself and make a decision

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Sidney-Silva-7065
11/19/12 6:32 PM
Barry Soetoro Jr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jorx - Any1? He's supposed to have been Wanderlei's coach...

Who did Wand get his BB from?

Wand got his BB from Carlinhos Gracie. There was a controversy about it few years back.
11/20/12 10:03 PM
WillyMaunawili
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he taught at Wands.

Never trained with(or met) him, but here in Hawaii I never heard a bad thing about him. It seems like he was universally liked and respected as a person and for his skills. I have friends that trained with him and they all had praises.

He got some media attention here a few years ago for using his BJJ to subdue a burglar he caught in his house. Phone Post
11/20/12 10:56 PM
The Submission Channel

I think it is a stretch to call him a world famous coach. His main academy here in Las Vegas is a tiny location at a dilapidated strip mall. Just take a free class and see if it as good as another free class you take elsewhere. No real way to find out; doubt he will be personally teaching in AUS, afterall. - E
11/21/12 6:01 AM
dojo stormer

http://www.evolution-mma.com.au/

he has an association club over in WA.

there are plenty of very good clubs over in WA.
11/21/12 8:34 AM
Claude Patrick
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sidney is awesome for bjj of all types. i was smart enough to bring him up for my ufc 129 fight and what he taught came in directly handy come fight time
11/21/12 5:12 PM
skilgannon

Edited: 11/21/12 5:16 PM
here is a short video of one of his fights. Sidney ended up subbing the guy later on

<br /><br />http://youtu.be/VUJDCxvha20<br /><br />

sorry, I dpn't know how to embedd<br /><br />Here is his mma record<br /><br />http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Sidney-Silva-7065<br /><br />word on the street is that when Frank Shamrock held a sub grappling seminar at the gym he was at and when it was time to roll, as a blue belt he absolutely annihilated Frank on the ground
11/22/12 9:24 AM
Jorx

The problem is I can't check him out remotely:) I am in Estonia and was offered his seminars / possible association.

We are currently affiliated with SBGi.
11/22/12 9:24 AM
Jorx

The problem is I can't check him out remotely:) I am in Estonia and was offered his seminars / possible association.

We are currently affiliated with SBGi.
11/22/12 9:29 AM
Claude Patrick
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jorx

trust on this one.. im a 4 time ufc vet and `17+ year bjj fanatic... sidney is very solid.. on top of being a good guy and teaching well what he shows directly useful.
11/22/12 3:42 PM
Jorx

Thanks everyone for the input. Now I feel comfortable with at least organizing the first seminar.
11/23/12 10:16 AM
ams
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just curious, are you planning on changing organization? Phone Post
11/24/12 4:03 PM
Jorx

Well it's politics and private thing I would say usually but as it is no secrest - we definately have no reason to leave the SBGi.

But if Sidney is good as you guys say and he is in this part of the world then I def don't mind having a short seminar with him.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.