UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

3/12/13 6:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IKossedLawlersSalad
837 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Russell Jr. Declines 50 Cent's Offer To Join SMS

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=63293#ixzz2NMm1gpSP
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

(CAPITOL HEIGHTS, MD.) - Gary Russell, Jr. (Capitol Heights, Md.) and his team, led by his father and trainer Gary Russell, Sr., are committed to their game plan for the undefeated featherweight's career. Russell has recently been courted by 50 Cent's SMS Promotions, but the 24-year-old has no plans to make changes to his team.

"Over the last few days, we've been getting a number of phone calls from 50 Cent's SMS Promotions.  They want us to sign with their camp.  I don't have anything against his team; but we are not interested...I'm not interested," Russell said. "Like I've said before Team Russell is not signed to any promotions team. I have a manager, Al Haymon, and he is the only person I'm signed with."

As boxing is a family affair in the Russell household, the 2008 Olympian and his team approach his career in the same manner.

"Growing up with all brothers, our father taught us a long time ago that loyalty is important. I feel the same way about my relationship with Al. We consider him a part of our boxing family.  Al has been a big part of my career and things are going smooth.  Our working relationship with Golden Boy Promotions has also been great," Russell said.We would not sign with any promotional team without having a conversation with Al.  We have watched folks commit what we feel is boxing suicide by going against the grain. We like the way I'm being moved along, and the dates, venues, and television time I have received have all been positive for my career. So while my team appreciates the offer, we chose to decline the proposal from SMS."

A 2008 Olympian, Russell enjoys a 22-0 record and has hopes to end the year as a World Champion. He is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Vyacheslav Gusev on March 2 in Las Vegas. Russell suffered a hairline fracture to his left hand in the 10 round win and has been advised by his doctor to rest the hand for six to eight weeks.

3/12/13 6:16 PM
IKossedLawlersSalad
837 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chisora returns on April 20th

3/12/13 6:19 PM
IKossedLawlersSalad

Wilder-Thompson in the making?

By Wolfgang Schiffbauer

According to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, an exciting heavyweight matchup between unbeaten knockout artist Deontay Wilder (27-0, 27 KOs) and IBF #9 Tony Thompson (37-3, 25 KOs) could happen in the next couple months. Schaefer apparently wants to match the two Americans in a CBS televised boxing event in order to showcase Wilder in front of a national audience against the toughest opponent of his young career. In regard to CBS, Schaefer said to the New York Fight Blog at ESPN: “We want to expose boxing to sports fans who haven’t really watched boxing.”

Thompson is coming off a shocking upset win over another unbeaten prospect in Englishman David Price last February. Regarded as a huge underdog, Thompson, who had lost his last fight to World Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko by TKO, knocked Price out cold in the second with a left hook that silenced the cheering hometown-crowd of the unbeaten Brit in Liverpool. The 41-years old “Tiger” from Washington has fought and beaten proven fighters such as Maurice Harris, Chazz Whiterspoon, Luan Krasniqi or Timur Ibragimov. Two of his three defeats came at the hands of Klitschko in world title efforts.

Wilder, on the other hand, turned pro in 2008 after capturing an Olympic Bronze Medal in the heavyweight class at the Beijing Olympics. “The Bronze Bomber”, at age 27, has since won all of his 27 bouts by knockout, albeit against much lesser opposition. In his last outing in January, he stopped journeyman Matthew Greer in two rounds. It is safe to say that Thompson would be the biggest test Wilder has faced as a professional prizefighter as of now.

If Schaefer’s plan comes off and Wilder and Thompson will face each other in the ring, it will mark an important day in American heavyweight boxing. Wilder could prove that he is a serious contender for the heavyweight crown. Should he lose to Thompson, though, the “Tiger” would remain the top dog of American heavyweights. A top dog who, despite being a solid fighter and a threat to every other big guy out there, has lost twice already to the reigning champ.
3/12/13 8:10 PM
OmgItsTheWams
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big step up for wilder Phone Post
3/12/13 11:13 PM
PoundforPound
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That would be crazy if Wilder can succeed against Thompson where David Price failed.
3/13/13 12:46 AM
OmgItsTheWams
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Training with kilts will definitely be helpful in this fight Phone Post
3/13/13 1:01 AM
IKossedLawlersSalad

I think Wilder can get him out, if he fights smart.

3/13/13 1:19 AM
OmgItsTheWams

Was reading some things Manny and kilts sais about wilder and man they were hyping him up I'm rooting for him big time I want to see an American hw champ Phone Post
3/13/13 11:16 PM
OmgItsTheWams

Asked this like a month or 2 ago but does anyone know what happened to graziano? Phone Post
3/14/13 12:23 AM
IKossedLawlersSalad

not sure about Graziano, never heard of him Wams.

3/14/13 12:28 AM
IKossedLawlersSalad

Dawson vs. Stevenson Being Discussed For June 8th                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=63333#ixzz2NU8YGw23
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Ryan Burton

BoxingScene.com has been advised that a fight between WBC light heavyweight champion "Bad" Chad Dawson (31-2, 17KOs) and hard-punching super middleweight Adonis Stevenson (19-1, 16KOs) is being discussed for June 8th on HBO.

Dawson was orginally scheduled to face Jean Pascal in a rematch on May 25th, but Pascal headed in another direction by reaching an agreement to face Lucian Bute in a high profile Canadian super-fight. Stevenson, the mandatory challenger to IBF champion Carl Froch, was left out in the cold when Froch finalized a deal to face WBA champion Mikkel Kessler in a rematch on May 25th in the UK.

Stevenson has a stay-busy rematch with Darnell Boone on March 22 at the Bell Centre in Montreal. Boone handed Stevenson his only career loss with a big upset two round TKO win in April of 2010.

Dawson is looking to bounce back from his September knockout loss to Andre Ward. For the match with Ward, Dawson dropped down to 168 pounds, a weight he hadn't fought at since 2006. This Stevenson fight will be fought at light heavyweight limit of 175 for Dawson's title.

3/14/13 12:31 AM
IKossedLawlersSalad

Pascal-Bute reportedly done for May 25th

3/14/13 12:34 AM
IKossedLawlersSalad

Marquez is Leaning To Bradley, Rios - Not Pacquiao

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=63332#ixzz2NUA9HmXs

By Miguel Rivera

Juan Manuel Marquez (55-6-1, 40KOs) is still standing his ground. He doesn't see the point of a fifth fight with Manny Pacquiao. Marquez rejected the idea of a fifth fight in a few televised interviews at the start of the year. Top Rank CEO Bob Arum had dinner with Marquez a few weeks ago, and they discussed the possibility of a fifth Pacquiao match, but the 39-year-old veteran has other ideas.

Marquez plans to Timothy Bradley's weekend defense against Ruslan Provodnkov, and Brandon Rios' rematch with Mike Alvarado on March 30th - and then he will decide his next opponent in April.

'There is no point to have a fifth fight with Pacquiao. It was already made clear [who is better]. We already accomplished that objective. Nothing has been finalized and everything is still pending. [A fifth Pacquiao] would be the last option [among our considerations]. Bradley won a controversial decision over Pacquiao but that does not take into account that he is a good fighter," Marquez said.

3/14/13 12:34 AM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OmgItsTheWams -  Asked this like a month or 2 ago but does anyone know what happened to graziano? Phone Post

I remember this,

I posted the video of his most recent KO I think and we determined that he hadn't fought in just under two years or something like that. His twitter was pretty crazy, Jeremiah is either havin trouble gettin an opponent or is having trouble period lol

3/14/13 12:37 AM
IKossedLawlersSalad

Mayweather Shreds Andre Ward: Broner is More Known!                                                                                                                                          Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=63317#ixzz2NUApiXfA

By Edward Chaykovsky

Something rubbed WBC welterweight Floyd Mayweather Jr. the wrong way. During a recent interview with Fighthype.com, Mayweather took several shots at Andre Ward, the WBC/WBA super middleweight champion. Mayweather first took offense with Ward's nickname, S.O.G. [Son of God].

"He calls himself S.O.G. If I'm not mistaken, that stands for Son of God. Last time I checked, we're all God's children. When one fighter is facing another fighter, God don't choose sides. What's going to happen in life is going to happen. Everything is already planned out. Listen man, if you're going to be a pastor, go to church. If you're going to be a reverend, go to church. If you're going to be a boxer, be a boxer. I mean, one minute, they want to say all this S.O.G. stuff, and the next minute, they wanna go put tattoos on they body. I ain't never seen a pastor boxing. I ain't never seen a reverend boxing. I say a prayer that my opponent lives to fight another day and I live to fight another day. You got these guys trying to hurt a man on Saturday and then going to praise the Lord on Sunday," Mayweather said.

Then Mayweather took a few more shots after hearing that Ward would backing Robert Guerrero to win on May 4th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"Not knocking Andre Ward, but he can't sell tickets nowhere. He can't sell tickets in Las Vegas. This is the only guy I know that's a gold medalist, but don't nobody know he's a gold medalist. He's a gold medalist, but he's making money like he don't even got a medal. Like I said before, Andre Ward, he's a good fighter, but who knows him? If you're not in Oakland, you don't even know who he is. He's getting older and time is ticking, so I mean, when is he going to ever leave Oakland and put assess in seats somewhere else?," Mayweather said.

"You know, you got fighters, sometimes, they speak on certain situations where the thing is this, like I always tell you before, when you're a fighter getting a million dollars, a million dollar fighter like Andre Ward, if anything, you need to come to my camp so you can learn the blueprint on how to sell out arenas worldwide. I got the blueprint on how to sell out arenas worldwide. We know Adrien Broner is more known than Andre Ward. He don't even have an amateur background. He's got a gold medal? Let me get it and I'll melt it down and get a medallion made."

3/14/13 12:38 AM
IKossedLawlersSalad

In response to an earlier story on BoxingScene.com , where WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. took several shots at WBC/WBA super middleweight king Andre Ward - James Prince, the current manager of Ward and ex-manager of Mayweather, had plenty to say in response to Floyd Jr.'s unexpected verbal jabs.

"First of all I don't know what demonic spirit jumped into Mayweather causing him to try to assassinate my fighter's character because he is a fighter and a man of God - as if it's a sin to worship God and fight.  It goes to show his ignorance in the word of God because there are prophets throughout the Bible that were fighters, warriors, hit men - and none of them were punks.  So for Mayweather to attack a man's spirituality because he has been friends with Robert Guerrero since they were kids and he's riding with him is just an excuse to voice his haterism that's really in his heart for me and Dre," Prince said in a statement to BoxingScene.com.

"Dre never had nothing but respect for this dude, but if he thinks there is something weak about Andre Ward - then he can eat some steaks and put some weight on his ass so Dre can whip it.  Not knocking Floyd Mayweather, but he knows he couldn't draw flies to a dumpster until he beat Oscar De la Hoya.  I know this is true because I was managing him when he couldn't sell out his hometown of Grand Rapids or the San Francisco Auditorium, which only seats 6,000 people."

"By the way, any man that represented the United States of America and won a gold medal is not only known, but appreciated by all Americans - something Floyd didn't accomplish.  And that invitation on his blueprint for knowing how to get millions - we pass on that, because we know how to make millions, but more importantly, how to keep it."

"And yeah, I see how he's trying to befriend Broner so he won't be faced with Broner gettin' in his ass.  But at the end of the day, he would have a problem with Broner because Broner is a real one.  And Floyd knows, like I know, that he's uncomfortable with real men around him."

3/14/13 12:43 AM
IKossedLawlersSalad

Hopkins Well Aware of Karo Murat Obligation                                                                                                                                                            Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=63320#ixzz2NUCLVZSY

By Jake Donovan

Bernard Hopkins knew well in advance that a win on Saturday over Tavoris Cloud in Brooklyn would mean his phone would be ringing non-stop immediately thereafter.

Sure enough, the once-again light heavyweight titlist now has a full voicemail inbox to sift through while deciding his next step. The 48-year old wunderkind became the oldest fighter in boxing history to capture a major belt, breaking his own record set at age 46 following his May ’11 rematch with over Jean Pascal.

Talks have swirled prior to last weekend’s encounter of a potential showdown with unbeaten Welshman – and current alphabet titlist – Nathan Cleverly. With any title win also comes mandatory challenges, especially when the dethroned titlists – such as Cloud – endures massive gaps of inactivity, thus not already honoring such obligations.

“There [are] champions that [have] been callin[g] me out after my historic victory,” Hopkins recently said through his Twitter account. “I'm aware that I [have] a mandatory obligation under the IBF rules. My mandatory challenger (is) Karo Murat.”

Cloud was supposed to face Murat late last year in Venezuela, only for the fight to fall through due to unspecified reasons. Cloud instead proceeded with plans to face Hopkins, heading into Saturday’s encounter having not fought since a controversial points win over Gabriel Campillo last February.

Hopkins, hardly a model of ring activity deep into the twilight of his career, turned back the clock with a virtuoso performance. A 17-year age difference was not at all apparent, as Cloud looked lost for much of the fight while Hopkins proudly marched on towards history.

The reign marks either his second or third tour atop the light heavyweight division, depending upon whom you ask. Hopkins’ win over Antonio Tarver in June 2006 netted him The Ring title (back when it still somewhat meant something), though historians still recognized Zsolt Erdei as the lineal champion. There was no dispute at the top when Hopkins topped Pascal in May ’11, though the reign was short lived – a no-contest against Chad Dawson in Oct. ’11, followed by a points loss to Dawson the following April.

Now that he’s back in the saddle, Hopkins would like to enjoy a reign mirroring that of his record-breaking middleweight tour when he took on all comers while satisfying alphabet obligations. However, a packed crowd at the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn coupled with 1.2 million viewers tuning in live on HBO suggests that fans are interested in seeing Hopkins in events rather than just fights.

While everyone remains on his radar, dilemma he faces is in which order to face them.

“Out of respect [to] the IBF it's my intention [to] honor my commitment [to]  the mandatory challenger [at]  this stage [o]f the game just as I've done throughout my 25 [year] career namely thro[ugh] 20 str[aight] defense of the 160 (lb. title),” Hopkins said.

“However the fans have made it very clear that at this stage of my career they want Executioner in big fights – 12, 300 fans in Brooklyn [and] over 1 mil[lion] watched on [HBO Boxing] have sent that message loud [and] clear across the boxing world. I look forward [to] getting back in the ring and continuing with my legacy.”

With the IBF mandatory defense well past due, the camps for Hopkins and Murat have 30 days to negotiate terms for such a fight. If the two sides are unable to reach an agreement, a purse bid will be ordered, after which the fight must take place within 90 days.

Title unification bouts have often been cited as an exception, though not always immediately honored, especially when a mandatory is past due. Carl Froch was recently forced to give up his title* in order to pursue a rematch with fellow beltholder Mikkel Kessler, which in turn created a vacant title fight opportunity for mandatory challenger Adonis Stevenson.

[Editor's note: Froch is still IBF champ only for the sake of classifying the rematch with Kessler as a unification bout. The winner will be stripped of the title immediately thereafter - JD]

Hopkins would have such options to weigh should he proceed with a fight against Cleverly, Beibut Shumenov or even a third fight with Dawson.

3/14/13 12:48 AM
IKossedLawlersSalad

Hopkins vs. Cloud Does 1.2 Million Viewers on HBO

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=63298#ixzz2NUDloSd5

by David P. Greisman

It has been said that one reason the often aesthetically displeasing Bernard Hopkins continues to be featured in prime spots on boxing broadcasts is because he pulls in good ratings.

Hopkins’ second fight with Jean Pascal, which took place in May 2011, had 1.8 million viewers on HBO, according to various reports citing Nielsen ratings for people who watched live or on DVR before 3 a.m.

Hopkins’ second fight with Chad Dawson, which took place in April 2012, had 1.6 million viewers on HBO.

And Nielsen reports that Hopkins’ win over light heavyweight titleholder Tavoris Cloud this past weekend brought in 1.2 million viewers on HBO.

While that represents a drop from Hopkins’ two most recent appearances on the network, it is also on par with what HBO boxing cards bring in. Last week, HBO’s Kery Davis said HBO boxing broadcasts get 1.2 million viewers on average, according to an article by Michael Woods of TheSweetScience.com.

In 2012, eight of HBO’s live boxing broadcasts had an average at or more than 1.2 million viewers, according to Nielsen statistics compiled by Matthew Paras of MaxBoxing.com.

Another 10 broadcasts had an average of less than 1.2 million viewers, according to Paras.

3/14/13 12:58 AM
pharochuck
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
james prince at one time was one of the largest crack dealers in houston texas, him throwing around the man of god thing is laughable. had maxine waters on his payroll, she had federal agents that almost got to him transfered to other places. big time criminal, not exactly the guy ward should have speaking for him
3/14/13 1:03 AM
pharochuck
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IKossedLawlersSalad - 

Pascal-Bute reportedly done for May 25th

who you guys got? i'm leaning towards pascal
3/14/13 1:11 AM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll go with Pascal by UD chuck.

3/14/13 1:17 AM
IKossedLawlersSalad

Pascal folds late, Bute has questionable chin/cardio as well..Pascal's shoulder will be a major question mark in this fight, and can Bute take Pascal's punches.

I'm going with, if Bute can withstand the early onslaught, he might box himself to a decision.

3/14/13 1:18 AM
IKossedLawlersSalad

Pharo, Prince was also screwing with Dawson's funds before the Pascal fight.

3/14/13 1:21 AM
SubbedZER0

IKossedLawlersSalad - 

Pascal folds late, Bute has questionable chin/cardio as well..Pascal's shoulder will be a major question mark in this fight, and can Bute take Pascal's punches.

I'm going with, if Bute can withstand the early onslaught, he might box himself to a decision.

I see our first s/n bet unfolding already Barry....

3/14/13 1:23 AM
pharochuck

IKossedLawlersSalad - 

Pharo, Prince was also screwing with Dawson's funds before the Pascal fight.

he's a bad guy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.