UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

5/2/13 12:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chadk - 
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

While he's far from perfect, I don't think Mayweather is as bad a guy as some make him out to be. He does a lot of grassroots charity work for the homeless and impoverished in Vegas.

Nobody's all good or all bad. Manny's far more likeable and comes off as far more humble than Floyd too but he's had a well known string of extramarital affairs in the Philippines. My wife's from Cebu and we had Filipino package on our cable. For awhile there, it seemed like he was getting filmed leaving hotels and condos of hotties every week. Interestingly enough, when he stopped gambling, drinking & whoring it seemed like he lost his killer instinct and started letting up on people in the ring too. Phone Post

Interesting indeed. Well, i guess no one can stay on top forever or keep the killer instinct's edge at that level forever. I guess Wand is still a killer though he's not on top anymore so kinda different. Anderson still seals the deal after all this time. Is that killer instinct or just because he's that good? Both i guess....

On the flip, remember people were saying Fedor started not training as well when he found god though he def still had the killer instinct in the ring, too much I'd say that lead to his downfall in all 3 of those losses - being too reckless and aggressive.
5/2/13 2:13 PM
SubbedZER0
342 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/02/13 2:29 PM

Mr.BarryBondsmen

two questions. Should we get the planning for this next coming wed. fight discussion going now since we've been slacking? Also I think we should open threads for the discussions and leave them open so people who want to comment can do so outside of Wed if they don't have the time to watch with us then. Also a good idea if the fight is very controversial and the discussion lasts a few days. Would've PM'ed you but wanted guys like GayGuard and Thatkick/ anyone interested to see and comment if they wanted to add anything.

second question - any new articles on your site bro?

*edited*- also maybe a poll thread with a couple controversial fights everyone can chose from?

5/2/13 2:16 PM
chadk
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, could be living the good life, distractions of his political, endorsement, etc, etc, etc,... but he seemed to lose his nasty edge and started easing up on guys instead of trying to take them out like he used to. However, it did seem like he was intent on trying to take Marquez out in their last fight before running into that right hand.
5/2/13 2:22 PM
SubbedZER0
342 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Question for anyone who wants to answer over the Pacquiao v Marquez series.

Who do you feel won the series, if so. Does Marquez win the war with the KO while Manny wins the battles with it being 3-1 on official record? Is it tied with the Marquez KO? Finally do you think with the rematches that Manny gave Marquez warrant a rematch here? or was it just TopRank promoting a moneymaking popular fight more so than Manny taking the rematches to finalize the series?

5/2/13 2:37 PM
chadk
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SubbedZER0 - 

Who do you feel won the series, if so. Does Marquez win the war with the KO while Manny wins the battles with it being 3-1 on official record? Is it tied with the Marquez KO? Finally do you think with the rematches that Manny gave Marquez warrant a rematch here? or was it just TopRank promoting a moneymaking popular fight more so than Manny taking the rematches to finalize the series?

I think that Marquez owes Manny another shot. Manny didn't have to fight him again and could've fought anyone else and made lots of money. Despite the fact that Marquez is always a tough matchup for him, the Kenny Norton to Manny's Ali if you will, Manny agreed to fight him again. He could've said: "I've beaten him before, what's the point of fighting him again?" but he acknowledged the controversy of their previous fight and stepped up for a fourth go with him when he didn't have to.

Seems to me that Marquez should do the right thing and give Manny his opportunity to redeem himself, like Manny gave him. Besides, they're all doing this for the money. Marquez is 40 years old, who thinks he'll make anywhere near the money against Bradley that he'd make facing Manny again??? Why risk getting stopped on a cut, outhustled or flat out robbed for far less money?... Makes no sense to me.

Oddly enough, if I'm Manny's management, I'd have tried to get Bradley first, figuring we'd beat him, get a feel for whether or not he's got any lasting ill effects from the KO, and then go after Marquez but it shows you Manny's warrior mentality that he wanted Marquez first. Gotta respect that.
5/2/13 2:47 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SubbedZER0 - 

I think Pacquiao won the first and third fights, but lost the second.  Marquez obviously holds the most definitive victory, and so in my books he's the winner of the series at this point.

Ironically, I think the 4th fight was the best Pacquiao has ever boxed Marquez, except this time it was Marquez that was gettiing the KDs.

It's up to Marquez as to whether or not he wants to give Pacquiao a rematch. Pacquiao waited a long time to give Marquez his rematches. I think it's in everyone's best interests though - it gives the fans the fight they want to see, it gives Pacquiao a shot at redemption, it gives Marquez another huge payday before he retires, and it would be another chapter in one of the great lighter-weight series in boxing history.

5/2/13 2:51 PM
OmgItsTheWams
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People say floyd doesn't challenge himself but he fights at his walk around weight but the same people say frankie edgar is a warrior for fighting at 155 Phone Post
5/2/13 5:17 PM
pharochuck
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
OmgItsTheWams - People say floyd doesn't challenge himself but he fights at his walk around weight but the same people say frankie edgar is a warrior for fighting at 155 Phone Post
Correct, he's been fighting up most of his career Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 5:19 PM
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ruben Guerrero's record:

5/2/13 5:53 PM
TzTinkle
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OmgItsTheWams -  People say floyd doesn't challenge himself but he fights at his walk around weight but the same people say frankie edgar is a warrior for fighting at 155 Phone Post

Yea, you just have to laugh when people say floyd is ducking canelo and martinez. He may have fought at 154 a few times just to make an interesting fight, but he came in at 151 for the cotto fight.
5/2/13 6:13 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
895 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

first off, want to thank everyone for making this a great thread...It's been drama free with great boxing convos. Guys like That, Gay and Subb have contributed tons, and OMG is always on here as well. 

hope it brings new people as well.

5/2/13 6:19 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
895 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 
Barry_BondsMVP - 

there's a lot of crap on Pacquiao, but because he has Arum controlling his life, they make him look like a good guy. Just google the visionquest lawsuit, talks about the tax issues he has etc.

Floyd is human, but because he puts himself out there as the bad guy, he's going to get judged harsher than others. Plus he's a superstar athlete. 

he does a lot of good, and with him comes the bad, I don't pay much attention to his personal life.

Sure a lot of it is show but he still dont seem that likeable. That crying for himself in the press conferences because of his perceived non-respect, thats some diva shit....at least Manny seems like the true humble warrior. Not sure much of his personal life as im not with Floyds but cheating is one thing, abuse is another. Also, i know its to be taken with salt like Chael but Floyd's also on some race bating shit on Manny and on Jeremy Lin, etc....i can understand trying to keep the hype with Manny but insulting the entire Filipino culture is never just show and what's to be had with dissing Lin? And cant stand the fact that so many black figures shit on Lin when he was an underdog and beat discrimination to get where he was, you'd like black people would understand that. That SNL skit put it perfectly.

Love to watch both of them fight though.

Also, what do you make of this article: http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9233908/floyd-mayweather-jr-puts-rematch-clause-robert-guerrero
"Floyd 'Money' Mayweather Jr. admitted this week what many have long suspected -- that he hand picks every opponent who enters the ring with him."

Floyd can be a prima donna, he can repeat himself a lot, avoids tough questions...like he says, he's young, black and rich...with that comes some derogatory opinions on non black athletes. I have a lot of black friends, and especially the ones that were athletes, they would bash whites, hispanics, asians etc, when it came to Football, Basketball etc. 

my buddy who watches big fights with me, he's mixed btw...always expects the black guy to win, especially against someone white lol..It's just the way they were raised, blacks dominate a lot of American sports.

as for the article, I take it as Floyd picking his opponents because he's his own promoter. Guerrero is the mandatory and currently the toughest fight for him at WW. I'm curious to see what happens after this fight, there's talks of him fighting in the UK, possibly against Khan, who just two years ago had people saying he'd give Floyd problems.

5/2/13 6:22 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache - 
Wasa-B - How good is Guererro?

He is pretty damn skilled. Tough as nails, iron chin and aggressive. He is not a BIG puncher but he can whack a bit.
I think he gets wiped out by a prime Floyd, but floyd is getting old and has been very inactive. I think this is Floyds toughest fight in a LONG time.

it could be a dog fight, if Floyd can't move around much. Floyd is still just too quick and defensive minded, too intelligent for Robert, the experience and skills will be too much. Right hand leads is what Floyd is working on, and with Robert's lack of defense, it wont miss much.

5/2/13 6:23 PM
PoundforPound
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/02/13 6:29 PM
The Khan fight wouldn't be competitive but it would bring Floyd a huge payday due to the British money. I could see how some might call that a cherry pick but at the same time I doubt there is a bigger payday out there for him at 147.

Maybe Canelo at 154 would be equally as profitable.

Robert Guerrero has good technical skills and he is versatile, plus he's a southpaw which can always throw a wrench in the works. If he had more punching power he'd be a real live underdog. As it is I expect it to be a challenging fight for Floyd...if age has caught up to him it might be very close.
5/2/13 6:25 PM

Ooof....Mayweather would get Khan out of there in 6. Khan has speed in spades, but that's about the only area where he's not totally outclassed by PBF (other than his heart).

5/2/13 6:27 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

SubbedZER0 - 

Mr.BarryBondsmen

two questions. Should we get the planning for this next coming wed. fight discussion going now since we've been slacking? Also I think we should open threads for the discussions and leave them open so people who want to comment can do so outside of Wed if they don't have the time to watch with us then. Also a good idea if the fight is very controversial and the discussion lasts a few days. Would've PM'ed you but wanted guys like GayGuard and Thatkick/ anyone interested to see and comment if they wanted to add anything.

second question - any new articles on your site bro?

*edited*- also maybe a poll thread with a couple controversial fights everyone can chose from?

yes sir, we can get it started tomorrow if you like. Was it Leonard/Hearns we wanted to rescore next? 

no new Boxing articles, hasn't been big boxing news to talk about...But I'm running the blog for Koscheck's gym. so I have some articles up on there.

5/2/13 6:28 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

agreed with you guys, would of been interested before the Peterson fight..but Khan is shot.

5/2/13 6:29 PM

PoundforPound - The Khan fight wouldn't be competitive but it would bring Floyd a huge payday due to the British money. I could see how some might call that a cherry pick but at the same time I doubt there is a bigger payday out there for him at 147.

Maybe Canelo at 154 would be equally as profitable.

Robert Guerrero has good technical skills and he is versatile, plus he's a southpaw which can always throw a wrench in the works. If he had more punching power he'd be a real live underdog. As it is I expect it to be a challenging fight for Floyd. If he has gotten old it might be very close.

The Canelo fight would do bigger numbers for Floyd than anyone except Pacquiao. There's casual intrigue for the fight as well as the fact that Canelo has a huge Mexican/Mexican-American following.

I was watching ESPN First Take the other day, where they were discussing a potential Canelo vs Floyd fight, and the only boxing they ever talk on that show is Mayweather, Pacquiao, and Mayweather vs Pacquiao.

5/2/13 6:32 PM

Barry_BondsMVP - 

first off, want to thank everyone for making this a great thread...It's been drama free with great boxing convos. Guys like That, Gay and Subb have contributed tons, and OMG is always on here as well. 

hope it brings new people as well.

Thanks dude, and of course, thank you for creating and being the most active contributor to this thread.

5/2/13 6:34 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ruben Guerrero's record:

LOL Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 6:35 PM
PoundforPound
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ESPN talking heads for the most part don't know shit about boxing. Ha ha.

That's kind of the cool thing about being a boxing fan, if you truly follow the sport it's like you're in an exclusive club. When awesome things happen it's as if they belong just to the few of us.
5/2/13 6:38 PM

@Gay - Lol, I don't like to fighter-bash, but the only fight that Ruben didn't lose by KO was against a guy whose only win in his entire career came against Ruben.

5/2/13 6:41 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

First Take is garbage lol, Stephen A gets on my nerves, but no one is worse than Skip..I hate that faggot lol.

5/2/13 6:41 PM

PoundforPound - The ESPN talking heads for the most part don't know shit about boxing. Ha ha.

That's kind of the cool thing about being a boxing fan, if you truly follow the sport it's like you're in an exclusive club. When awesome things happen it's as if they belong just to the few of us.

Skip Bayless (one of the hosts) thought that Pacquiao would stop Mayweather in 4, and his rationale for this prediction was that Mayweather would get cut and "scared"...Smh.

5/2/13 6:44 PM
Uncle Creepy's Creepy Nephew
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

Ruben Guerrero's record:

LOL Phone Post 3.0

Not him.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.