UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

5/9/13 1:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Barry_BondsMVP
850 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JMM explains why he chose Bradley                                                                                                                                                                          Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=65306#ixzz2Sks9MqPX
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Ryan Burton

Shortly after Floyd Mayweather's unanimous decision victory over Robert Guerrero, Juan Manuel Marquez spoke to BoxingScene.com about his decision to face  WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley instead of a more lucrative fifth fight against Manny Pacquiao.  Marquez feels that his December 8th knockout of the Filipino Congressman more than sealed their series and that there is no need for another fight. He said that he couldn't say why Bradley turned down a rematch against Pacquiao but that he feels an argument can be made for why he won each of his four fights against Pacquiao.

"Everybody has their opinion.  To each his own.  I don't know why Bradley doesn't want to fight him.  I don't know his situation.  In my case we have already fought four times and I practically won all four.  The first time was a draw, the second time was a split decision and the third time was a majority decision where it was even more clear that I should have won.  In the fourth fight I left no doubt as to who won and that cleared up the first three fights," Marquez explained.

Marquez said that while money is important, his legacy and honor are more important and that is one of the reasons why he decided against facing Pacquiao again.

"That is true. Honor comes first.  My personal honor and the honor of my people come first.  The feeling that I have from that victory is very rewarding.  It is something I will keep for me the rest of my life.  Money isn't the most important factor," Marquez revealed.

The 39-year-old Marquez said that a world title in a fifth weight class would be very rewarding and would provide the motivation needed to get him to train at the highest level.  If Marquez were to capture a world title in a fifth weight class he would become the first Mexico born fighter to achieve that feat.  Marquez declined to say where such a victory would place him amongst Mexican all time greats.

"It is another motivation for me.  I want a fifth title in a different weight class.  It is a great motivation for me that would make me train hard.  I would love to achieve that but I need to work very hard because TImothy Bradley is a great fighter.  I don't know where I would rank.  That is up to you guys," Marquez told BoxingScene.com.

5/9/13 1:21 AM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"In my case we have already fought four times and I practically won all four.  The first time was a draw, the second time was a split decision and the third time was a majority decision where it was even more clear that I should have won.  In the fourth fight I left no doubt as to who won and that cleared up the first three fights"

i'm going to go ahead and zero in on.....'that cleared up the first three fights'. No offense to JMM, he's great. But you had 36 rounds to clear it up like that.

5/9/13 1:24 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
850 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sulaiman Advises Canelo To Fight Cotto                                                                                                                                                                   By Miguel Rivera

The President of the World Boxing Council, Jose Sulaiman, has advised WBC/WBA 154-pound champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (42-0-1, 30KOs) to wait at least another year before challenging Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26KOs). Sulaiman would rather see Canelo fight former three division champion Miguel Cotto (37-3, 30KOs). Canelo and Mayweather are both reportedly going to return on September 14th.

"Alvarez should have at least two more fights before going against Mayweather. Canelo needs more experience and in another year it would be a competitive fight. [To fight him] at this time, I would not advise it. [A fight against Cotto] would give him the opportunity to show his worth," Sulaiman said.

5/9/13 1:25 AM
chadk
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP -

so another bar fight, dude will end up shot soon.

Denver boxer Donald Camarena's career ended because of a bar fight. He got swarmed by several guys and he was so physically fucked up he isn't fit to fight anymore. Mike's a far more entertaining fighter. Hopefully he'll learn from this. Phone Post
5/9/13 1:25 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

personally, I have it even, 2-2...we could see Pacquiao/Rios winner vs Bradley/JMM

5/9/13 1:26 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

chadk - 
Barry_BondsMVP -

Denver boxer Donald Camarena's career ended because of a bar fight. He got swarmed by several guys and he was so physically fucked up he isn't fit to fight anymore. Mike's a far more entertaining fighter. Hopefully he'll learn from this. Phone Post

second one with in the past few months, when's he going to learn? lol

5/9/13 1:27 AM
chadk
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP -

Sulaiman Advises Canelo To Fight Cotto                                                                                                                                                                   By Miguel Rivera

The President of the World Boxing Council, Jose Sulaiman, has advised WBC/WBA 154-pound champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (42-0-1, 30KOs) to wait at least another year before challenging Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26KOs). Sulaiman would rather see Canelo fight former three division champion Miguel Cotto (37-3, 30KOs). Canelo and Mayweather are both reportedly going to return on September 14th.

"Alvarez should have at least two more fights before going against Mayweather. Canelo needs more experience and in another year it would be a competitive fight. [To fight him] at this time, I would not advise it. [A fight against Cotto] would give him the opportunity to show his worth," Sulaiman said.

Translation: "I'd rather continue to collect sanctioning fees from both of them." Phone Post
5/9/13 1:30 AM
chadk

Barry_BondsMVP -
chadk - 
Barry_BondsMVP -

second one with in the past few months, when's he going to learn? lol

Actually, I think this was the one he had prior to Rios fight. He just waited until after the bout to get surgery and his rehab won't be completed in time for bout with Manny. Phone Post
5/9/13 1:33 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

oh okay, well for his sake I hope so.

yea, Sulaiman loves to keep Canelo safe too though.

5/9/13 1:33 AM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - 

personally, I have it even, 2-2...we could see Pacquiao/Rios winner vs Bradley/JMM

I have the first two to Pacquiao and the 3rd/4th to JMM. JMM is a great fighter and I enjoy watching him fight, but i'm not feeling the 'I won em all, pretty much proved it'. IMO Pacman could've said 'technically i've beaten him 3 times, i'm moving on' after the 3rd. Controversy compared to a cold KO yes, but doesn't erase the first two for me.

5/9/13 1:35 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

LOL at JCC getting an interim title shot, smh.                                                                                                                                                                Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=65324#ixzz2SlqqLJXF
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Jose Luis Camarillo & Salvador Rodriguez, notifight.com

As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, middleweight contender Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-1-1, 32KOs) dared England's Martin Murray (25-1-1, 11KOs) to fight him on August 3rd in Mexico City. The slated opponent is Brian Vera, but the Mexican boxer would like to face someone he believes is tougher.

Chavez wants to fight Murray for the WBC interim-middleweight title. WBC full champion Sergio Martinez won a close decision over Murray on April 27, but suffered several injuries that are likely going to keep him out of the ring until next year.

WBC President Jose Sulaiman would consider approving Chavez-Murray as an interim-title fight, depending on Martinez's medical status.

"First, what we need to do is to talk to Martinez and find out his medical condition, because a few days after the fight they won't know the full extent of the injury. It is better to wait and to find out the exact situation, but [Chavez-Murray] would be a good fight," Sulaiman said.

5/9/13 1:35 AM
SubbedZER0

I will tell you what though Barry if he somehow manages to put a stop on the Desert Storm after Pacman......I will STFU forever

5/9/13 1:36 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

SubbedZER0 - 
Barry_BondsMVP - 

I have the first two to Pacquiao and the 3rd/4th to JMM. JMM is a great fighter and I enjoy watching him fight, but i'm not feeling the 'I won em all, pretty much proved it'. IMO Pacman could've said 'technically i've beaten him 3 times, i'm moving on' after the 3rd. Controversy compared to a cold KO yes, but doesn't erase the first two for me.

yea he's always going to bring those loses up. I think he still plans on writing his book on how to beat Manny lol.

5/9/13 1:37 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

SubbedZER0 - 

I will tell you what though Barry if he somehow manages to put a stop on the Desert Storm after Pacman......I will STFU forever

man, me too...it's an intriguing fight, Bradley is going to push JMM, we'll see if he has the cardio to keep up with Timmy.

5/9/13 1:44 AM
SubbedZER0

Barry_BondsMVP - 
SubbedZER0 - 

man, me too...it's an intriguing fight, Bradley is going to push JMM, we'll see if he has the cardio to keep up with Timmy.

I haven't checked up on anything Bradley lately outside of the signing of the JMM fight. I think they mentioned something before the Provodnikov fight about him blowing up a bit too much in weight after the Pacquiao fight, i'd imagine if so this is going to be a much better prepared Bradley this time around. Wins over JMM and Pacquiao make a career of working like he does worth it for sure.

5/9/13 2:52 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Bradley has tons of heart, which we've seen a few times already...I feel JMM needs a KO to win.

5/9/13 2:52 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Juanma is looking to bring in Ariza for Garcia fight.

5/9/13 2:56 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Mayweather on Fallon.

5/9/13 12:06 PM
chadk

"Lol @ JCC getting an interim title shot. Smh"

Two things are certain in regards to the Mexico based WBC: 1st) they're going to do whatever they can to help Mexican fighters. 2nd) they're also going to do whatever they can to generate more "title" fight sanctioning fees. Phone Post
5/9/13 12:52 PM
chadk

I honestly don't get Marquez's thinking with choosing Bradley of Manny. Far less money to be made and more risk vs reward in other ways too. If he wins, so what?... Average fans expect him to win. Bradley has the youth, style, work rate & chin to trouble JMM. Think a bigger, stronger Juan Diaz. So, its not unreasonable to think Bradley's got a good chance to outhustle Marquez for a decision or to at least make him look bad/vunerable. What if he's cut badly by Bradley's head and has to take a lot if time off to heal? At 40, time is NOT on your side. Too much risk vs reward in facing Bradley imo. Yeah, there's that belt in another weight class but I'd be trying to maximize my paydays at his age. I've got zero doubts he believes he can't beat Bradley but his manager & trainer should be trying to steer him elsewhere I think. Phone Post
5/9/13 12:53 PM
chadk

Choosing Bradley OVER Manny. (auto correct on phone got me) Phone Post
5/9/13 5:38 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/09/13 5:43 PM
Looks like there will be USADA testing for the Pacquio vs. Rios fight. With no cutoff dates!

Why didn't Pac do this years ago when 50/50 was on the table for the Mayweather bout?

Also I thought Bob Arum didn't find USADA credible? What happened to all of that talk? LOL
5/9/13 7:10 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

JMM feels legacy is more important then money, I respect him for that decision.

LOL, so now Manny has nothing to hide, rightttttt...

oh, Fat Dan has a story on ESPN, talks for FMJ/Canelo have begun.

5/9/13 7:16 PM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought the Pac camp agreed to whatever testing demands Mayweather's camp wanted eventually?

And why still did Mayweather insist those conditions only for Pac? Or rather, they did it for Mosely, then wanted it for Pac? But how about the rest of the fights after Mosely? Ortiz? Cotto? Guerrero?
5/9/13 7:18 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

everyone since Mosley has done the USADA testing...Manny couldn't agree to the cut-off date...then an issue of the split (money) came up after. Initially the fight was done for in 2010...but they didn't agree to the testing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.