UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

6/16/13 2:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PoundforPound
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stillmatic - I like the way Crawford fights. He shows a little bit of everything in the ring. True definition of a boxer puncher.

He was very good tonight. It's nice to see these impressive, young contenders emerge.

6/16/13 2:32 AM
caposa
1838 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Terence Crawford KO's Alejandro Sanabria Round 6.

Mikey Garcia KO's Juan Manuel Lopez Round 4.

6/16/13 3:48 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
813 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice KO's tonight, Crawford vs Vasquez or Burns would be nice, Broner/Crawford at 40' would be something down the line as well.

6/16/13 5:03 AM
Randy Watson
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache - Garcia is the best Boxer/Puncher I have seen in a LONG time.

Sergey Kovalev also has some scary power and scary combinations. His demolition of White the other day was something.
6/16/13 2:12 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
813 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/16/13 3:00 PM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Randy Watson - 
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache - Garcia is the best Boxer/Puncher I have seen in a LONG time.

Sergey Kovalev also has some scary power and scary combinations. His demolition of White the other day was something.

Very true, but he has yet to beat a real top guy. Garcia has made world champs like Salido, Juanma and Barros look like chinny amateurs.
He says he is moving up to 130, which IMO is one of the worse divisions in boxing. Might as well wipe out Roman Martinez and move up to 135. A fight with Broner would be amazing.
6/17/13 12:06 AM
PoundforPound
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/17/13 12:08 AM
Andre Ward wants to leave Dan Goosen and go to Top Rank.

But does Arum really have any talent at 168 or 175 for him to face, besides the mediocre Julio Cesar Chavez Jr?
6/17/13 1:25 AM
Randy Watson
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache - 
Randy Watson - 

Very true, but he has yet to beat a real top guy. Garcia has made world champs like Salido, Juanma and Barros look like chinny amateurs.
He says he is moving up to 130, which IMO is one of the worse divisions in boxing. Might as well wipe out Roman Martinez and move up to 135. A fight with Broner would be amazing.

Very true. Garcia Martinez may be on for 21 September according to Boxing Scene.
6/17/13 1:41 PM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got a chance to look at the Dawson v Stevenson fight/stoppage.

Let me say I had no idea what happened in the fight, but knew Dawson was stopped. Expecting something around the 6th or 7th the opening bell rings and i'm in the other room. One minute later there's yelling and I walk back in to Chad looking like someone popped the fuckin men in black memory flasher in his face.

Chads really gotta work on that 'I want to keep fighting' face lol.

Big win for Stevenson

6/17/13 1:43 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

PoundforPound - Andre Ward wants to leave Dan Goosen and go to Top Rank.

But does Arum really have any talent at 168 or 175 for him to face, besides the mediocre Julio Cesar Chavez Jr?

no, most of the guys there are international fighters...I hope Ward doesn't get screwed with Arum.

6/17/13 1:45 PM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

asking out of curiosity who else does Bob have at LHW/SMW that is atleast a top 10 guy? Who has Maritrosyan?

6/17/13 1:51 PM
HenryO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well Ward desperately needs to be in a big fight and Chavez is the biggest fight out there. One he should win and look impressive doing it.

After that Im not sure as I dont know too much about promotional alignments.

Top Rank could make Stevenson or GGG happen?
6/17/13 1:55 PM
HenryO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mares or Uchiyama should be next for Garcia but this is boxing
6/17/13 1:58 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Ward wants a tune up before a rematch with Froch...Martirosyan is a JMW, but he's with Top Rank.

6/17/13 2:37 PM
SubbedZER0

Edited: 06/17/13 2:38 PM

Thought i'd drop this guy off for the thread to get a laugh at

Nazim Richardson on Malignaggi - "I had to tell Paulie I said listen, You couldn't knock a glass of water of a table with a running start"

LMFAO

Sidenote- Idk about this Seckbach kid? Seems to get himself into some solid spots though? Who is he?

6/17/13 3:44 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Seckback is annoying, started with the NBA or some shit...he's a dick rider for James Toney and guys in Oxnord. He's the guy that gets teased by fighters, but laughs it off to stick around lol.

lol that Richardson quote is funny but true.

6/17/13 4:38 PM
TexDeuce
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been out if the loop. What's the Super Middleweight division looking like these days? I haven't watched since Showtimes Super Six Tourney. Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 9:58 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

IBF Orders Hopkins to fight Kovalev

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article14568.html

6/18/13 12:18 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Nacho Doubts Canelo Will Crack Mayweather's Defense

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66724#ixzz2WXQNaDAX
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Miguel Rivera

Trainer Ignacio "Nacho" Beristain says WBC/WBA junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (42-0-1, 30KOs) has been given the opportunity to become great - when he steps into the ring with Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26KOs) on September 14th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. At the same time, Nacho doesn't believe Canelo will be able to penetrate the defense of Mayweather.

In 2009, Mayweather dominated Nacho's star pupil, Juan Manuel Marquez, for twelve rounds.

"[Canelo] has quality and now he has the opportunity to be great and show people that he is a top level fighter. In his fights, Floyd is a boxer who is totally on the defensive and that creates a lot of problems for his opponents. You think you can [beat him], but when you're face to face [with him] in the ring it's like the puzzle is written in Chinese," Nacho said.

"It is a great opportunity for [Canelo] to surprise the entire world, not just Mexico, but I don't think he will be able to deal with Mayweather's defensive style."

6/18/13 12:24 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Naazim on Mayweather: He's a Genius at What He Does!

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66713#ixzz2WXRPO3lE This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Luis Sandoval

Renowned Philadelphia trainer Naazim Richardson is never at a loss for words and often blesses those who interview him with great insight you simply can’t find anywhere else. Aside from being a top trainer, Richardson has experienced and seen a lot in the sport of boxing. He’s had the privilege of seeing some of today’s biggest stars when they were just starting out and trying to make it to the levels they’ve reached today.

One of the fighters Naazim saw coming up was today’s current pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. Mayweather is regarded as the best fighter in the sport but even he isn’t without his share of detractors.

Mayweather’s skill set is what separates him from everyone else so I asked Richardson if he thought what made Floyd who he is today simply God given talent, hard work or a combination of both.

“It's a combination of even more than that. For a guy like Floyd it’s a combination of natural talent, genetics, intelligence, focus, discipline. Like I told ya'll years ago, great fighters mislead you. Great fighters mislead you because we think one way about them when we see them and they're actually something else. Floyd does so much talking, ya'll just see him as this young punk dude off the street that 'one day somebody's going to give him his!'. And ya'll keep thinking that not realizing this kid is a genius at what he does man” Richardson would tell BoxingScene.

“He’s not just running his mouth. This kid trains harder than most fighters. He's focused he's disciplined and he's a student of the game. He pays attention to everything in and outside of the ring. He's special man. He's a special fighter. Floyd is one of the elite special talented athletes. Elite.”

There have always been fighters who possessed talent but the talent alone wasn’t enough to make them into super stars. We’ve seen fan friendly fighters who may not have the best skill set become successful based off their excitement alone. Mayweather on the other hand is one of the rare exceptions where he’s both talented and has become one of the biggest stars the sports has seen in terms of money generated and popularity.

Richardson broke down what Mayweather has been able to do and what other young fighters who hope to one day be in his position need to know.

“Right now Floyd is at two places where you know you're the elite of boxing. One - and everyone young fighters should listen to this because it’s what every young fighter is looking to achieve - your ultimate goal in professional boxing is to reach a level to where people pay to come see you fight. And they're asking people on the way to the fight 'So who's this guy he's fighting?'. Now ya'll remember the few guys we've known like that. Remember with Mike Tyson [people would ask] 'Who's this kid Mike Tyson is getting ready to fight??’ There have been a few guys that have held that prestigious place. The other thing is when we start comparing the guys who lost to this guy to fight each other. 'Well you know Canelo did better than Shane. Canelo did better than so and so, they should fight now!'. That kind of thing. We know Mayweather has reached both of those levels” said Richardson.

A mega fight with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is already set for September 14th as Mayweather will once again be involved in one of the biggest fights the sport can deliver at the moment.

6/18/13 12:25 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Mikey Garcia-Rocky Martinez In The Works for Sept. 21

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66703#ixzz2WXS0AF25
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

by Jake Donovan

Mikey Garcia lost his title on the scales this past weekend, but the relinquishing of the title apparently came with a safety net. The unbeaten featherweight – who came in heavy for his eventual 4th round knockout of Juan Manuel Lopez on Saturday in Dallas – is being steered towards a September 21st showdown with 130 lb. titlist Roman ‘Rocky’ Martinez.

The fight was discussed long before last weekend’s HBO-televised doubleheader and before it was discovered that Garcia was struggling at the scales. Even with the future somewhat mapped out, the newly crowned titlist did his best to meet the contracted terms for his first title defense.

“I tried everything possible. It wasn’t the best time. I can still fight at the featherweight limit. It just wasn’t possible this time,” Garcia (32-0, 27KO) admitted after the fight. “But with the right training and the right diet I can still do it. The last few days I was sick, I didn’t want to tell anybody.”

Early talks centered around Garcia moving up in weight and traveling to Puerto Rico to face Martinez (27-1-2, 16KO), who would receive a career-high payday for his first fight at home in nearly two years. Early discussion also included pairing Lopez with former 122 lb. king Nonito Donaire, who has flirted with the idea of moving up in weight.

The latter bout would be a tough sell at this point; Lopez wasn’t remotely competitive against Garcia, losing every round and suffering two knockdowns before being rescued by referee Rafael Ramos midway through the fourth round.

A match between Donaire and Lopez would’ve been interesting in that it pits two former champs coming off of losses. However, it comes across as a blatant mismatch at this point and not warranting major television coverage.

Donaire is two months removed from an upset points loss to Guillermo Rigondeaux, severely outboxed but not to the point where the 2012 Fighter of the Year can’t conceivably return to the top. Such is not the case for Lopez, who has now suffered three knockout defeats in a span of just over two years and appears done at the top level.

While the search will go on for a serviceable supporting contest, it seems that all parties are prepared to move forward with Garcia moving up to face Martinez. Neither camp would go on the record to confirm (or deny), but several sources have indicated that the immediate future for both fighters was determined well before the bell Saturday evening.

Martinez was on hand for the festivities in Dallas in support of Lopez. After the fight, Garcia wouldn’t confirm his future plans but tipped his hand as to the direction all parties appear to be leaning.

“That’s still an option,” Garcia said when asked about the possibility of next facing Martinez. “I would like to try out 130 and if I feel comfortable there, I will stay there. If I feel 126 is still my division, then I will drop back down.”

6/18/13 12:26 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Kirkland is Arrested For Assault and Jailed

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66700#ixzz2WXSHuFHx

By Edward Chaykovsky

According to the American-Statesman Staff, junior middleweight contender James Kirkland was arrested on an assault charge and is currently an inmate of the Travis County Jail in lieu of $5,000 bail. Kirkland was charged with causing bodily injury to a family member.

Kirkland, inactive since early 2012, has been trying to break ties with everyone around him. Last year Kirkland filed a legal suits to break away from promoter Golden Boy Promotions and managers Cameron Dunkin/Michael Miller. Kirkland also broke ties with trainer Ann Wolfe

Not the first time Kirkland has been in trouble. In 2009 he was arrested on a firearm charge and released in September of 2010.

He was scheduled to face Saul Alvarez last September, but withdrew with a shoulder injury. Later he said he was unhappy with the money and willing to move forward if more money was on the table. Golden Boy gave the opportunity to Josesito Lopez.

6/18/13 12:28 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Abraham Holding Out For Money, Threatens Retirement

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66719#ixzz2WXSzNTF9

By Ruslan Chikov

Former champion Arthur Abraham (36-4, 28KOs) is threatening not to fight on August 24th against Willbeforce Shihepo in Scherwin, Germany. According to reports, Abraham is unhappy with the purse being offered by his promoter, Sauerland Event, and the two-division beltholder wants more money.

"If Sauerland Event does not reach an agreement with my lawyer, I will not box....neither on August 24th or later on. I do not need to continue my boxing career, and I can finish it right now. Athletes should be treated fairly," Abraham stated.

The promoter's hands might be tied on this one, because a source told SportBox that ARD, the network broadcasting the August event, is far more interested in, showcasing the headliner, Jürgen Braehmer, than the upcoming fight of Abraham. More than likely the network is not offering a big fee to pick up King Arthur's next fight.

Abraham was stopped on four rounds by Robert Stieglitz in March.

6/18/13 12:31 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Pascal: Chad Dawson is Not a Smart Fighter

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66727#ixzz2WXTgm8lX

By Rick Reeno

Former champion Jean Pascal (27-2-1, 16KOs) was shaking his head as he sat ringside and watched Chad Dawson's initial strategy against hard-puncher Adonis Stevenson (21-1, 18KOs) at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada.

Pascal handed Dawson (31-3, 17KOs) his first career defeat in 2010 with a unanimous eleven round technical decision. All it took was one punch, in the first round, for Stevenson to close the show and capture Dawson's WBC light heavyweight title.

"The thing that I know for a fact is that Dawson is not a smart fighter. He might have all the skill in the world, but mentally he's not skilled at all. For three months everybody is telling him that [Stevenson] hits like Mike Tyson, that he hits like a tank - and in the first round you go straight at him, [you're] tall, and you're moving towards his power hand...[is] he crazy?," Pascal told BoxingScene.com.

When the fight was first being discussed, Pascal told BoxingScene months ago that "Dawson was crazy" for accepting the fight with Stevenson, who wasn't a big name but regarded as one of the biggest punchers in the sport. Also, Dawson was coming off a very bad TKO loss at the hands of Andre Ward.

"I don't know why he took that fight. He hits like Tyson, a southpaw, and Stevenson was unknown at the time. Dawson was one of the best in the world and a world champion, so of course everyone thinks he has to beat Stevenson. But if you lose to Stevenson, then everyone will tell you that you are done, you're finished....that you lost to Pascal, you got knocked out against Ward and now you lost to an unknown. That was a risky fight with no rewards at the end of the day, so I don't even know why he took that fight," Pascal said.

Pascal did have a case of deja vu when he watched the pre-fight promotion. Stevenson is Pascal's stablemate under promoter Yvon Michel. Dawson fought both Pascal and Stevenson at the Bell Centre - and Pascal says Dawson overlooked him in 2010 and made the same mistake with Stevenson.

"Dawson, the reason I say he’s not a smart guy - he did the same thing with me. He said I was a nobody, I didn't fight anyone, he has to Google me [to find out who I am]. And then I beat him. So he comes back to Montreal and does the same thing again [with Stevenson]. C'mon, you don't learn from your mistakes?  He's fighting a southpaw, a power puncher, and in the first round you go straight at him and move towards his power hand," Pascal said.

Pascal had mixed emotions with the ouctome, because he predicted it two weeks earlier.

"It was funny because two weeks before the fight I had a dream that Stevenson would knock him out in the first round. So when it happened I was shocked because I had dreamt about it," Pascal said.

6/18/13 10:03 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.