UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

6/18/13 10:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Barry_BondsMVP
814 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/18/13 10:43 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
814 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

‏@danrafaelespn 4m
According to Nielsen, Sat's @HBOboxing card averaged 1.1M viewers, making it HBO’s most watched #Boxing After Dark card of 2013. Impressive.           

Garcia-Lopez main event is most watched HBO #Boxing After Dark main event of the year. Drew 1.3M viewers (+62% increase from Garcia-Salido).                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

6/18/13 10:47 PM
PoundforPound
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/18/13 10:47 PM
Good numbers for B.A.D.
6/19/13 12:03 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Mares-Gonzalez, Santa Cruz-Terrazas Double on August 24                                                                                                                                     Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66768#ixzz2WdD3uwuJ
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Rick Reeno

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer is putting the finishing touches on a Showtime televised doubleheader, featuring two world title fights, on August 24th at the StubHub Center (previously known as the Home Depot Center) in Carson, California.

In the main event, a deal is close for Abner Mares (26-0-1, 14KOs) to make the first defense of his WBC featherweight championship against former beltholder Jhonny Gonzalez (54-8, 36KOs). Mares captured the title on May 4th, in the Mayweather-Guerrero co-feature with a ninth round TKO of Daniel Ponce De Leon, who captured the title from Gonzalez in September with an eight round technical decision. Gonzalez believed he was heading in the direction of a rematch with Ponce, but Mares' victory forced a change of plans. Gonzalez has won two in a row since the Ponce loss.

"We are discussing the fight. The fight is not done yet, but it's close. Gonzalez is a very dangerous puncher so you can never count him out. One of the best one-punch hitters in the sport, but Abner Mares is not afraid to fight anyone and he doesn't have any problem facing Gonzalez or any other top fighter, and I believe he's proved that to the public and the experts," said Mares' manager Frank Espinoza to BoxingScene.com.

In the co-feature, WBC super bantamweight champion Victor Terrazas (37-2-1, 21 KOs) will make the first defense of his title against mandatory challenger Leo Santa Cruz (24-0-1, 14KOs). Terrazas captured the belt in April with a close twelve round split decision over Cristian Mijares in Mexico City. Santa Cruz recently vacated his IBF bantamweight belt and made his debut at 122-pounds on the Mayweather-Guerrero card on May 4th, where he demolished veteran Alexander Munoz in five.

Golden Boy secured the rights to Terrazas-Santa Cruz after winning the purse bid with a monetary amount of $526,000. Zanfer Promotions, who guide the career of Terrazas, bid $451,000. Terrazas will receive 75%, $368,200, of the bid, and Santa Cruz will get $157,800. Golden Boy was represented at the bid by Ramiro "El Dinero" Gonzalez, who many now regard as the pound-for-pound king of purse bids.

"These are two very well matched fights, they are two fights that are going to be toe-to-toe battles and these are four proud Mexican warriors.  This is as good as it gets. And it's taking place at the 'Mecca of Boxing West' - the StubHub Center, formerly known as the Home Depot Center. Somehow that venue always brings the best out of the fighters and really brings the crowd into it - just like we had a few weeks ago. I think we'll have another sellout and it's going to be a very big night in Carson," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.

Most insiders were under the impression that either Mares or Santa Cruz would end up on huge Floyd Mayweather-Saul Alvarez card on September 14th or the Danny Garcia-Lucas Matthysse clash being discussed for September 7th. Schaefer indicates that further surprises are going to be revealed in the coming weeks.

"Wait until you see. The question will be - "what's going to happen? what's going to happen on September 7 and what's going to happen on September 14?" I may have some more surprises in store. We in the sport to make fight cards that are real events for the fans. When you go to a restaurant you don't want to start with old bread that is hard and tastes like sh*t or go through a bad appetizer where you are going to have the runs afterwards. If you go out to eat, you want to have a meal where you are going to enjoy every single course. The same thing is true for fights fans watching at home, they want to enjoy every single fight," Schaefer said.

"And we want to make events where there is a great, great main event and it is supported by fights which on other networks, and for other promoters, would be [considered] main events. That's what we're all about, that's what you're going to see and that's what you've been seeing with Golden Boy events over the last twelve months. They are events, real events, and not just one fight."

6/19/13 12:06 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Broner - The Fans Can Pick My Next Opponent

6/19/13 12:09 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66756#ixzz2WdEVEIEQ This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Vanes is Eager To Face Demetrius Andrade For WBO Belt

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66756#ixzz2WdEZqAQV
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Rick Reeno

Undefeated Vanes Martirosyan (33-0-1, 21KOs) is ready and very willing to get in the ring with fellow unbeaten Demetrius Andrade (19-0, 13KOs) for the vacant WBO junior middleweight championship. The belt became vacant earlier today when champion Zaurbek Baysangurov (28-1, 20KOs) announced that he injured his back and was forced to withdraw from his scheduled defense against Andrade, which was set for July 6th in Kiev, Ukraine.

Shortly after Baysangurov's withdrawal, the World Boxing Organization announced that Andrade would have to face Vanes for the vacant championship. The winner of Vanes-Andrade will have to make their first defense against Baysangurov. Vanes returned this past Saturday night in Dallas and blasted out Ryan Davis in two rounds.

"I'm very happy that the WBO is giving me the shot. I can't wait, it's been a long time coming and I'm ready. I just can't wait. It's going to be a great fight. We are both Olympians and undefeated. It's going to be a big fight for all the fans. I want to say thank you to WBO for the opportunity. I'm ready for the fight and I'm 100% fit. I'm happy to be with [manager] Cameron [Dunkin] and Top Rank because they are the best," Vanes told BoxingScene.com.

6/19/13 7:54 PM
HenryO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TiliShkodrani - Is it me or does Floyd look shorter than Canelo in that picture? Canelo is listed 5'7.5 and Floyd as 5'8.

But looks like Floyd might be 5'7

That mexican ginger elvis hair
6/19/13 10:49 PM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - 

Broner - The Fans Can Pick My Next Opponent

My preference in order.

6/20/13 1:26 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

I like that order Sub, don't forget Maidana.

one advantage Floyd has, that JMM said gave him fits...his long ass arms.

6/20/13 2:44 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

for the Broner haters/fans lol About Billions E. 1

6/20/13 2:47 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Ep 2

6/20/13 2:47 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Ep 3

6/20/13 10:18 AM
chadk
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone else see where Broner said he won't fight his "friend" Floyd because "he doesn't want to hand him a loss"? Who talks about their "friend" like that??? Phone Post
6/20/13 10:29 AM
pharochuck
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
chadk - Anyone else see where Broner said he won't fight his "friend" Floyd because "he doesn't want to hand him a loss"? Who talks about their "friend" like that??? Phone Post
Seemed like a back door way to challenge. Obviously broner wants that limelight and probably makes his woman call him Floyd when they have sex. Never has a guy so blatantly imitated another guy who is still active. I'm not all the way sold on broner, I got a feeling matthyse would put him in an ambulance Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 2:33 PM
endochokedme
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh I hope I remember to check this thread tonight and watch these Broner vids... Voted up BBMVP...needed something to do tonight since the fam is heading out of town.

Pharo, I would love to see Matthyse V Broner. Fan of both guys and want to see Broner tested. I am loving all the fights in that range of weights lately and looking forward to all the potential matchups coming together in the future.
6/20/13 2:37 PM
buddie
396 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^It's a little like Holmes and Ali. Holmes wanted desperately to be Ali, but never could be. No matter how good Holmes was, people only saw that he wasn't Ali. (I'm not saying Floyd is as great as Ali and Broner is certainly no Larry Holmes). It just reminds me of a similar situation.

Larry was as good as he was because he had a chip on his shoulder the whole time and it drove him to work harder. I hope Broner starts worrying about being himself and cuts out this obnoxious vanity act. He's trying too hard.
6/20/13 5:42 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66831#ixzz2WnM325Kp This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Chavez Jr vs. Vera Will Land at Staples, 9/7, Says Arum

By Luis Sandoval

BoxingScene.com has been advised by Top Rank CEO and founder Bob Arum that a fight between Julio Cesar Chavez (46-1-1, 32KOs) and Brian Vera (23-6, 14KOs), taking place a few pounds above the middleweight limit, has been confirmed for September 7th in Los Angeles at the Staples Center.

The September 7th date is also being considered by rival promoter Golden Boy Promotions for a possible junior welterweight collision between WBC/WBA champion Danny Garcia and mandatory challenger Lucas Matthysse.

The fight will be televised on HBO.

6/20/13 5:47 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Hopkins Discusses The Mayweather-Canelo Catch-Weight

by Rick Reeno

IBF light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins spoke to BoxingScene.com about the upcoming fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, which takes place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The match takes place at a catchweight of 152-pounds - two pounds shy of the junior middleweight limit. Alvarez, the WBC/WBA champion, will have to cut two-pounds. Mayweather, the WBC's champion at 147, will come up in weight by five-pounds, but he also holds the WBA's "super title" at 154 and fought twice in the past at the full junior middleweight limit.

"I think he should have fought him where he feels that he's comfortable at, so if he's comfortable at 154 where he's fighting at, two-pounds maybe - but other than that I'm going to fight where I'm comfortable at. So he might have given up some edges there, but 152 - which I did read - was important in making this fight. If that's what Floyd wanted, then he won the battle on that," Hopkins told BoxingScene.com.

"At the end of the day, if I can get a guy to a weight class where I know he's not used to or hasn't been in - why wouldn't I take that advantage or take that chance. But personally myself, even though I said I would - if I'm thinking that way, I don't want nobody to have an excuse that I gave them a disadvantage to fight Bernard Hopkins."

"And that's the difference for me, and I'm not saying that nobody is doing it or nobody has ever done it. But if it comes out after the fact [the weight was a problem], then we know that ' A'   - that was a factor, and ' B' - you can't complain about something you agreed to. If you wanted the fight and you were willing to cut your left leg off to get it - then that's on you. I'm not that type of guy. I can't do it because I don't want no excuses."

Hopkins is no stranger to accepting catch-weights. In order to secure some of his biggest fights, Hopkins was forced to come down in weight.

"To get the [Kelly] Pavlik fight I had to be 170. To get Winky Wright [I had to make 170], and I had the title and I was the champion. For [Oscar] De La Hoya I had to be 158 and I came in at 157 and I shocked everybody. I knew why they were doing it. This is the mindset of Bernard Hopkins. They looked at me like I was crazy when I made 157. I'll never forget it when I went on the scale in Vegas. And I made history as being the first fighter to have all four belts. The only way that fight was going to happen is that I had to come in at 158 and I came in 157 - and I blew everybody away that I came in at 157,"  Hopkins said.

6/20/13 5:51 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Frampton vs. Orozco; BoxNation Update

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66814#ixzz2WnOSZQeS

BF Intercontinental Super-Bantamweight Champion Carl Frampton will defend his title against Argentina’s Fabian Orozco at Wembley Arena on Saturday 20th July.

Frampton features alongside stars Dereck Chisora, Billy Joe Saunders and Paul Butler on a huge night of boxing, live and exclusive on BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546).

The exciting Belfastman, who also holds the European title, is fast approaching a world title shot and must beat the tough Orozco to remain on track for a potential shot later this year.

Orozco, from Rawson in the San Juan province, is the IBF and WBO Latino Champion and comes into the fight with a record of 20 wins from 24 fights with 2 losses and 2 draws.  The hard-hitting 27-year-old poses a serious threat to Frampton’s unbeaten record with 4 out of his last 5 opponents stopped early.

6/20/13 5:59 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66801#ixzz2WnQBVDrD This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Froch: Ward Brings Little Revenue, Kessler III is Priority

By Edward Chaykovsky

IBF/WBA "regular" super middleweight champion Carl Froch (31-2, 22KOs) is more interested in a trilogy match with Danish rival Mikkel Kessler than avenging his 2011 decision loss to Andre Ward. Froch got revenge over Kessler with a twelve round decision on May 25th. Kessler had previously beaten Froch, also with a twelve round decision, in 2010. Because of the international revenue, and the interest of the TV networks, and likely having to avoid the possibility of traveling to the United States to face Ward on his home court - Froch would prefer the trilogy fight with Kessler.

"I’ll leave it to my promoter to decide which route we’ll go but a rematch with Mikkel Kessler, if it’s going to be possible…I think he’s away having a 2 week break with his partner, which is well earned. Until he’s back we’re not going to know exactly what he wants to do but that will take priority over a rematch with Andre Ward as far as we’re concerned because Andre Ward doesn’t really bring much to the table in terms of revenue. This is what the promoters are telling me, this is what the TV broadcasters are telling me and it’s what the fans are telling me. So it’s not just me saying this. I’ll happily fight Andre Ward but let’s see if we can get him over to England, if he’d fancy that. You never know," Froch told Jenna Jay of On The Ropes Boxing Radio.

6/20/13 6:06 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66795#ixzz2WnRyxEhw This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Stevenson: I'd Face Ward in Oakland, Rematch in Montreal

By Ryan Burton

Adonis "Superman" Stevenson (21-1, 18KOs) saw his fan base significantly increase with his emphatic first round knockout of Chad Dawson on June 8th in their HBO televised fight. The Montreal resident  spoke to us on BoxingScene Radio about the many options he has for his next fight.

"The fight I really want is Bernard Hopkins. The people here in Montreal know him. We could have two fights. I want to unify the titles and defend the WBC and IBF titles," Stevenson revealed.

Another fight that Superman is interested in is against Andre Ward. Stevenson has proposed that they fight once in Ward's hometown of Oakland, CA and stage the rematch in Canada.

"I have no problem going to the United States.  It isn't far for me. I said I would go to Oakland and fight Andre Ward at 168 and then we have the rematch at 175 in Montreal. I still haven't got a response from Andre Ward," Stevenson told BoxingScene Radio.

6/20/13 6:10 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael Purses for Saturday's @SHOsports card: Malignaggi $1.125M, Broner $1.5M, Banks $180k, Mitchell $100k, Bika $125k, Periban $50k #boxing

6/20/13 6:57 PM
ajsr
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pharochuck - 
chadk - Anyone else see where Broner said he won't fight his "friend" Floyd because "he doesn't want to hand him a loss"? Who talks about their "friend" like that??? Phone Post
Seemed like a back door way to challenge. Obviously broner wants that limelight and probably makes his woman call him Floyd when they have sex. Never has a guy so blatantly imitated another guy who is still active. I'm not all the way sold on broner, I got a feeling matthyse would put him in an ambulance Phone Post 3.0

I really hope we see this fight soon. Matthysse will blow through Garcia, but I feel Broner will be just too skilled for him. Obviously Matthysse has the power to cause anyone problems, but I think if Broner can stay disciplined it's his fight to lose.
6/21/13 4:03 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Broner/Malignaggi Weigh In.

6/21/13 4:06 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Face-Off

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.