UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

6/20/13 2:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
endochokedme
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh I hope I remember to check this thread tonight and watch these Broner vids... Voted up BBMVP...needed something to do tonight since the fam is heading out of town.

Pharo, I would love to see Matthyse V Broner. Fan of both guys and want to see Broner tested. I am loving all the fights in that range of weights lately and looking forward to all the potential matchups coming together in the future.
6/20/13 2:37 PM
buddie
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^It's a little like Holmes and Ali. Holmes wanted desperately to be Ali, but never could be. No matter how good Holmes was, people only saw that he wasn't Ali. (I'm not saying Floyd is as great as Ali and Broner is certainly no Larry Holmes). It just reminds me of a similar situation.

Larry was as good as he was because he had a chip on his shoulder the whole time and it drove him to work harder. I hope Broner starts worrying about being himself and cuts out this obnoxious vanity act. He's trying too hard.
6/20/13 5:42 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
897 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66831#ixzz2WnM325Kp This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Chavez Jr vs. Vera Will Land at Staples, 9/7, Says Arum

By Luis Sandoval

BoxingScene.com has been advised by Top Rank CEO and founder Bob Arum that a fight between Julio Cesar Chavez (46-1-1, 32KOs) and Brian Vera (23-6, 14KOs), taking place a few pounds above the middleweight limit, has been confirmed for September 7th in Los Angeles at the Staples Center.

The September 7th date is also being considered by rival promoter Golden Boy Promotions for a possible junior welterweight collision between WBC/WBA champion Danny Garcia and mandatory challenger Lucas Matthysse.

The fight will be televised on HBO.

6/20/13 5:47 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
897 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopkins Discusses The Mayweather-Canelo Catch-Weight

by Rick Reeno

IBF light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins spoke to BoxingScene.com about the upcoming fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, which takes place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The match takes place at a catchweight of 152-pounds - two pounds shy of the junior middleweight limit. Alvarez, the WBC/WBA champion, will have to cut two-pounds. Mayweather, the WBC's champion at 147, will come up in weight by five-pounds, but he also holds the WBA's "super title" at 154 and fought twice in the past at the full junior middleweight limit.

"I think he should have fought him where he feels that he's comfortable at, so if he's comfortable at 154 where he's fighting at, two-pounds maybe - but other than that I'm going to fight where I'm comfortable at. So he might have given up some edges there, but 152 - which I did read - was important in making this fight. If that's what Floyd wanted, then he won the battle on that," Hopkins told BoxingScene.com.

"At the end of the day, if I can get a guy to a weight class where I know he's not used to or hasn't been in - why wouldn't I take that advantage or take that chance. But personally myself, even though I said I would - if I'm thinking that way, I don't want nobody to have an excuse that I gave them a disadvantage to fight Bernard Hopkins."

"And that's the difference for me, and I'm not saying that nobody is doing it or nobody has ever done it. But if it comes out after the fact [the weight was a problem], then we know that ' A'   - that was a factor, and ' B' - you can't complain about something you agreed to. If you wanted the fight and you were willing to cut your left leg off to get it - then that's on you. I'm not that type of guy. I can't do it because I don't want no excuses."

Hopkins is no stranger to accepting catch-weights. In order to secure some of his biggest fights, Hopkins was forced to come down in weight.

"To get the [Kelly] Pavlik fight I had to be 170. To get Winky Wright [I had to make 170], and I had the title and I was the champion. For [Oscar] De La Hoya I had to be 158 and I came in at 157 and I shocked everybody. I knew why they were doing it. This is the mindset of Bernard Hopkins. They looked at me like I was crazy when I made 157. I'll never forget it when I went on the scale in Vegas. And I made history as being the first fighter to have all four belts. The only way that fight was going to happen is that I had to come in at 158 and I came in 157 - and I blew everybody away that I came in at 157,"  Hopkins said.

6/20/13 5:51 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Frampton vs. Orozco; BoxNation Update

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66814#ixzz2WnOSZQeS
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

BF Intercontinental Super-Bantamweight Champion Carl Frampton will defend his title against Argentina’s Fabian Orozco at Wembley Arena on Saturday 20th July.

Frampton features alongside stars Dereck Chisora, Billy Joe Saunders and Paul Butler on a huge night of boxing, live and exclusive on BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546).

The exciting Belfastman, who also holds the European title, is fast approaching a world title shot and must beat the tough Orozco to remain on track for a potential shot later this year.

Orozco, from Rawson in the San Juan province, is the IBF and WBO Latino Champion and comes into the fight with a record of 20 wins from 24 fights with 2 losses and 2 draws.  The hard-hitting 27-year-old poses a serious threat to Frampton’s unbeaten record with 4 out of his last 5 opponents stopped early.

6/20/13 5:59 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66801#ixzz2WnQBVDrD This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Froch: Ward Brings Little Revenue, Kessler III is Priority

By Edward Chaykovsky

IBF/WBA "regular" super middleweight champion Carl Froch (31-2, 22KOs) is more interested in a trilogy match with Danish rival Mikkel Kessler than avenging his 2011 decision loss to Andre Ward. Froch got revenge over Kessler with a twelve round decision on May 25th. Kessler had previously beaten Froch, also with a twelve round decision, in 2010. Because of the international revenue, and the interest of the TV networks, and likely having to avoid the possibility of traveling to the United States to face Ward on his home court - Froch would prefer the trilogy fight with Kessler.

"I’ll leave it to my promoter to decide which route we’ll go but a rematch with Mikkel Kessler, if it’s going to be possible…I think he’s away having a 2 week break with his partner, which is well earned. Until he’s back we’re not going to know exactly what he wants to do but that will take priority over a rematch with Andre Ward as far as we’re concerned because Andre Ward doesn’t really bring much to the table in terms of revenue. This is what the promoters are telling me, this is what the TV broadcasters are telling me and it’s what the fans are telling me. So it’s not just me saying this. I’ll happily fight Andre Ward but let’s see if we can get him over to England, if he’d fancy that. You never know," Froch told Jenna Jay of On The Ropes Boxing Radio.

6/20/13 6:06 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66795#ixzz2WnRyxEhw This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Stevenson: I'd Face Ward in Oakland, Rematch in Montreal

By Ryan Burton

Adonis "Superman" Stevenson (21-1, 18KOs) saw his fan base significantly increase with his emphatic first round knockout of Chad Dawson on June 8th in their HBO televised fight. The Montreal resident  spoke to us on BoxingScene Radio about the many options he has for his next fight.

"The fight I really want is Bernard Hopkins. The people here in Montreal know him. We could have two fights. I want to unify the titles and defend the WBC and IBF titles," Stevenson revealed.

Another fight that Superman is interested in is against Andre Ward. Stevenson has proposed that they fight once in Ward's hometown of Oakland, CA and stage the rematch in Canada.

"I have no problem going to the United States.  It isn't far for me. I said I would go to Oakland and fight Andre Ward at 168 and then we have the rematch at 175 in Montreal. I still haven't got a response from Andre Ward," Stevenson told BoxingScene Radio.

6/20/13 6:10 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael Purses for Saturday's @SHOsports card: Malignaggi $1.125M, Broner $1.5M, Banks $180k, Mitchell $100k, Bika $125k, Periban $50k #boxing

6/20/13 6:57 PM
ajsr
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pharochuck - 
chadk - Anyone else see where Broner said he won't fight his "friend" Floyd because "he doesn't want to hand him a loss"? Who talks about their "friend" like that??? Phone Post
Seemed like a back door way to challenge. Obviously broner wants that limelight and probably makes his woman call him Floyd when they have sex. Never has a guy so blatantly imitated another guy who is still active. I'm not all the way sold on broner, I got a feeling matthyse would put him in an ambulance Phone Post 3.0

I really hope we see this fight soon. Matthysse will blow through Garcia, but I feel Broner will be just too skilled for him. Obviously Matthysse has the power to cause anyone problems, but I think if Broner can stay disciplined it's his fight to lose.
6/21/13 4:03 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Broner/Malignaggi Weigh In.

6/21/13 4:06 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Face-Off

6/21/13 4:31 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

just some rumblings, Trout, Santa Cruz...also Mares vs John.

6/21/13 4:31 PM
PoundforPound
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/21/13 4:34 PM
I'm worried that the Mayweather undercard is going to suck. Abner Mares is fighting on a different day. So is Leo Santa Cruz. Matthysse vs. Garcia won't be on that card either. Alexander vs. Khan isn't till December. Who the heck is left to put on it? Maidana?

--Chakhkiev just got knocked out. I thought he was a lock for the future king of the cruiserweights. He still might be if he regroups but his chin and stamina issues have been exposed

--Looking forward to Bika vs. Periban tomorrow. Should be a good scrap. It’s a joke though that Andre Ward was stripped of the title they are fighting for. He remains the real super middleweight champion until someone beats him in the ring.

-- Broner is going to kill Paulie, it won’t even be competitive. And it won’t prove a thing. Pablo Cesar Cano beat Malignaggi too in my eyes. Big f’n deal.

--Seth Mitchell vs. Jonathan Banks should be fun. Hoping Mitchell wins, even though he is limited he brings some excitement to the American heavyweight scene.
6/21/13 4:40 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

yea they have Mares scheduled against Jhonny Gonzalez in Carson, things change though.

the only little suprise I'd get from Broner/Paulie if Broner actually stops Paulie, that would be a shock.

6/21/13 6:13 PM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Broner is going to stop Pauli.

Put Maidana vs Broner as c0-main for Canelo vs Floyd.
Thats good for everyone involved.
6/22/13 12:47 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Cleverly-Kovalev set for 8/17

6/22/13 12:57 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Arum Explains Handling of Marquez-Bradley Drug Testing

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66857#ixzz2WuyHcgyO
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Luis Sandoval

Despite the battle going on with Juan Manuel Marquez and Timothy Bradley regarding the random drug testing and 10 pound rehydration clause, Bob Arum was able to shed some light on how the drug testing will be conducted for this fight.

All major fights that have incorporated random style drug testing up until now have used an outside agency with either USADA or VADA getting the call. Arum has long told this scribe that he never believed the promoter should be involved and it should be the commission who should be in charge of having the testing done should the fighters request it. Top Rank’ CEO and founder’s stance has not changed and in fact, he will finally put his plan into use.

“The drug testing is going to be done random drug testing run by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It’s going to be as stringent as any drug testing of USADA and VADA but it will be done under a legitimate regulatory authority. Not the promoter, not somebody that works for the promoter; but the state commission and they have agreed. They will get all the reports and everything” Arum would inform BoxingScene.

The furthest Arum will be involved in the testing is footing the bill in order for the state commission to be able to have the testing administered. He will not be receiving any reports or results from the lab as those will go directly to the commission and if a positive test is found, the commission will rule on the matter.

“It’s wrong for the promoter to be involved - except to pay for it - and its wrong for these organizations without any authority to be doing it because all you do is cause confusion. Now God forbid somebody comes up positive and the commission is handling it then the commission rules whatever way the commission rules” said Arum.

In essence, the state commission will take the place of USADA or VADA and have the samples drawn and tested at their own labs. It was pointed out to Arum by Gabriel Montoya that some of the commissions - in this case Nevada- use labs that don’t test as extensively and for substances that other labs used by VADA do.

“So maybe they'll use another lab. They said to me, as long as I pay for it, they will do testing as extensive if not more so than those organizations do. If that means using another lab, they have no contracts with the labs they are they are using [so they can use other labs].”

There’s a huge conflict of interest with promoters being the ones contracting the agencies and getting the results with the way things are currently done. Arum’s way of doing things seems like a good solution as it all falls solely on the commission.

“This is the only solution for this drug testing. Otherwise there is no solution. Otherwise you have crazy sh*t like what happened in Brooklyn with Erik Morales because there's no state authority. I'm a lawyer; I understand what state authority means. Now, the commission talks on the basis of state authority. It’s a legally authorized regulatory body and they have to handle everything regarding a fight. And if the fighters want drug testing, they're the ones that should do it. They can't do it half ass; they have to do it real”.

6/22/13 12:59 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Judah: Mayweather Chops Guys Up Like Canelo

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66856#ixzz2WuyoS5Tz

By Keith Idec

NEW YORK — Zab Judah doesn’t think Canelo Alvarez is capable of upsetting Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Judah and Mayweather are friends, but the former welterweight and junior welterweight champion also has first-hand knowledge of just how difficult it is to defeat Mayweather, who out-pointed Judah seven years ago in Las Vegas. And Judah just doesn’t think Alvarez has what it takes to become the first fighter to beat boxing’s pound-for-pound king, even though Alvarez is 13 years younger than Mayweather and will own a noteworthy weight advantage once the bell rings Sept. 14 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

“I don’t see a big chance for Canelo,” Judah said Thursday at Barclays Center, before a news conference for the Paulie Malignaggi-Adrien Broner welterweight title fight. “Yeah, he’s a good fighter. He’s strong, he comes forward, he’s aggressive. But I think that kind of style is tailor-made for Floyd. He chops guys up like that. I think if that Canelo, right there, comes to the table, he’ll get chopped up.”

Las Vegas’ Mayweather (44-0, 26 KOs) and Mexico’s Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KOs) will begin an 11-city, nine-day tour to promote their pay-per-view fight Monday in Manhattan.

The first news conference on the tour will start at 3 p.m. ET in Times Square and is open to the public, free of charge. Fans are urged to arrive at the pedestrian walk on Broadway, between 46th Street and 47th Street, by 2 p.m.

6/22/13 1:02 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Matthysse still waiting on the Garcia fight, being worked on, as is Khan-Alexander.

6/22/13 7:37 AM
Johnny D
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I don’t see a big chance for Canelo,” -Judah.

As long as Floyd hasn't changed anything with his camp since his last fight, i.e. having his father in his corner, then it should be a very one sided affair, Canelo will get the best boxing lesson of his life.

When he's with his father its all about defense, when Floyd is all about defense he's almost untouchable. When Floyd has left his father behind in the past we see a less focused Mayweather on being the "perfect" text book boxer, digressing into more of a fighter/brawler mentality, not by much but enough to give Canelo the opportunity he needs.

So I hope his dad is still in his corner. Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 9:25 AM
RCP_TT4LIFE
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - 

Matthysse still waiting on the Garcia fight, being worked on, as is Khan-Alexander.

"it's a good possibility" says Judah about a rematch with Garcia. Just throwing out that rumor.
6/22/13 11:37 AM
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - 

Cleverly-Kovalev set for 8/17

Good night sweet prince, we hardly new the Sir Cleverly.
6/22/13 11:38 AM

RCP_TT4LIFE - 
Barry_BondsMVP - 

"it's a good possibility" says Judah about a rematch with Garcia. Just throwing out that rumor.

I though Judah was going to fight Alvarado next.
Garcia NEEDS to fight Matthysse next, otherwise turn your belt in ya hoe.
6/22/13 12:31 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache -
RCP_TT4LIFE - 
Barry_BondsMVP - 

I though Judah was going to fight Alvarado next.
Garcia NEEDS to fight Matthysse next, otherwise turn your belt in ya hoe.
I wouldn't want to fight Matthysse either lol. Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 2:13 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Edited: 06/22/13 2:15 PM

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=66882#ixzz2WyCvDySU

By Francisco Salazar

Looks like Zab Judah (42-8, 29KOs) will return to the ring in October at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, the multi-division world champion told Boxingscene.com on Friday afternoon.

Judah was present at the Paul Malignaggi-Adrien Broner weigh-in at the steps of Borough Hall in Brooklyn.

Judah is coming off of a close 12 round unanimous decision loss at the hands of unbeaten Danny Garcia on April 27th, also at the Barclays Center.

No word yet on who Judah will likely face in October.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.