UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

7/6/13 2:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
stillmatic
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What I was thinking about just now was what would have happened if Roy Jones and Mayweather had their reigns reversed. I think Roy being in his prime today could have been an even bigger star than Mayweather. Roy would actually put on a show in his fights, something Mayweather isn't all that concerned about. Mayweather dominating back in the 90's would have made him more like Pernell Whitaker. Everyone would have known he was really good, but it would have been hard for him to be a big star given his fighting style. We saw an example of that when nobody even showed up to watch from his hometown when he fought there.

One could only imagine how big of a star Oscar De La Hoya would have been in this age of social media.
7/6/13 2:19 AM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also Bonds/Thread

Speaking of RJJ, can you guys recall any boxers since him to gain not just a Nike sponsorship.....but specifically to the Jordan line? RJJ is the last guy I remember off the top of my head to have the Jordan warm ups/fights shorts/shoes/robe get up.

I noticed immediately that Golovkin had himself on some blue Jordan warm ups for his team coming into Foxwoods. If that goes full bore I would say that's quite the sponsorship and good for boxing.

7/6/13 2:23 AM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stillmatic - What I was thinking about just now was what would have happened if Roy Jones and Mayweather had their reigns reversed. I think Roy being in his prime today could have been an even bigger star than Mayweather. Roy would actually put on a show in his fights, something Mayweather isn't all that concerned about. Mayweather dominating back in the 90's would have made him more like Pernell Whitaker. Everyone would have known he was really good, but it would have been hard for him to be a big star given his fighting style. We saw an example of that when nobody even showed up to watch from his hometown when he fought there.

One could only imagine how big of a star Oscar De La Hoya would have been in this age of social media.

Putting on a show. Man as far as that goes Roy's birthday fight of David Telesco at Radio City was quite the show. I remember the entrance with Method and Redman, and the clinic he put on Telesco that night.

Please don't blow my mind with the thought of the De La Hoya blow-up mixed with today's social media. Canelo times fuckin infinity IMO

7/6/13 2:26 AM
SubbedZER0

Favorite RJJ show of recent Memory, Felix Trinidad

7/6/13 2:44 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
849 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

had that discussion today with my buddy...I think today with the social media etc...you have to have a personality to have followers..I think Floyd understands his style isn't for everyone, so he needs to be a villain to sell tickets. Roy was still under appreciated in his prime, didn't get the love he deserved.

someone like Billy Evangelista, helluva fighter, gets no love because he's quite. 

I believe Pacquiao is in line to sign with Jordan...this was a while ago. 

Subb, I believe that was Hopkins who met with Rashad and gave him that advice.

7/6/13 3:12 AM
SubbedZER0

You may be right, I remember a video of Hopkins and Rashad in a locker room but that one as Discussing throwing the right hand without setting it up, may very well have included the other part too

Your thoughts on Golovkin and the Jordan team warm ups? Any info on this? I don't remember a boxer since RJJ having the Jordan specific nike line on him.

7/6/13 3:16 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
849 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that's great, more recognition for Boxers in a big line like Jordan the better...yea, don;t really recall anyone coming out in full Jordan get up either.

7/6/13 3:28 AM
SubbedZER0

Edited: 07/06/13 3:28 AM

The Jordan line as far as I know is a big seller in multiple countries, that's great for Gennady and boxing if they are chosing him as a promotion tool.

Full Jordan get up, the last time I saw it was again, Rjj v Dave Telesco (Robe, Shorts, Socks, Shoes). Gennady only had blue team Jordan warm ups on walking into Foxwoods. He did rock some nice baby blue Kazak nikes though, weren't the Jordan line

7/6/13 3:36 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

I never noticed Subb, but the more boxers the better...

lol at the Goodboy line

7/6/13 3:50 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

the next few weeks is full of International flavor..

Berto/Soto Karass at the end of the month

7/6/13 6:23 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
497 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Random ? but wtf ever happened to Mike Jones? 

7/6/13 6:26 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
497 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3:11 

Mayweather disses Canelo and Oscar LOL 

7/6/13 6:38 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

from April on Mike Jones

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=63987#ixzz2YGDh26YK
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Rick Reeno

Welterweight contender Mike Jones (26-1, 19KOs) has decided to remain on sidelines after withdrawing from a planning return on June 1 at Bally's Event Center in Atlantic City.

Jones has been inactive since last June, when he was knocked out by Randal Bailey on the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley undercard at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Later that year, Jones attempted to break his promotional contract with Russell Peltz, who handles the boxer with Top Rank.

Peltz communicates with Jones through the fighter's attorney, Eric Melzer of New Jersey-based Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis

Jones appeared to be focused on a ring return and was recently training in Las Vegas with Eddie Mustafa Muhammad.

On March 22, Jones agreed to face Ray Narh (25-2, 21KOs) on the previously mentioned June date, but then changed his mind on March 29th and refused to sign a contract. No reason was provided, but Jones has several years remaining on his current promotional agreement.

7/6/13 6:52 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

VTFU. Thats very odd, fighting for the WW title to just not fighting in over a year. It was his first loss, maybe it kinda fucked with him mentally. I remember Corrales on the verge of tears after losing to Floyd, his first loss. 

7/6/13 1:11 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

yea it really does mind fuck you...look what happened to Munoz, was in a deep depression after the Weidman fight. Really makes you wonder, can you compete with these guys in your division, what am I doing wrong...etc etc.

7/6/13 2:45 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Barry_BondsMVP -

yea it really does mind fuck you...look what happened to Munoz, was in a deep depression after the Weidman fight. Really makes you wonder, can you compete with these guys in your division, what am I doing wrong...etc etc.

Not to mention he was beating Bailey fairly easily iirc. Got dropped and finished a round later. Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 3:18 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

that's right, had to be depressing...slipped up once, late in the fight and it's over. Crazy, it's really a game of inches.

7/6/13 4:32 PM
SubbedZER0

the rumor i've heard is the time off after a knockout loss can either kill or re-hunger a fighter mentally. Some guys benefit from being thrown right back in the deep water, others need the time off to repair and put things/their career in perspective.

training is one thing but i'd imagine looking that pro contract in the face is another, when you're name is on that bad boy.....you've officially got someone gunning for you, and you've got yourself an obligation as an entertainer for X amount of rounds. That'll boost the heartbeat alittle.

7/6/13 4:34 PM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was never big on Jones, I thought Soto Karass won their first fight.
7/6/13 6:09 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Price lost again, heard it was an entertaining, sloppy fight...will post once it's up lol.

7/6/13 6:19 PM
Eddy Payeur
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes it was a good fight. Price had Tony down and nearly out in the 2nd. Very back and forth
7/6/13 6:21 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

thanks for the feedback Eddy, too bad about Price, was pretty high on him.

7/6/13 6:57 PM
Phisher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats to Tony Thompson for pulling the upset again and LOL at this interview.

7/6/13 6:57 PM
SubbedZER0

results of FNF last night? Did Billy Dib bring home a W for 50?

7/6/13 6:59 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Dib won, heard he looked better..

was reading Fat Dan's tweets on Thompson's post fight interview...lol at breaking his wife's hip

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.