UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

8/11/13 9:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/11/13 9:43 PM
I haven't followed this super closely but from my understanding Marquez was pissed that Bradley was basically "accusing" him of wrong doing by asking for USADA/VADA. Similar to how Pac claimed to be indignant when Floyd asked him.

But in the end JMM agreed to use USADA as long as Bradley agreed to a 10 pounds over the weight limit penalty.

Bradley never accepted though and Arum came up with this compromise so that the fight would still take place.
8/12/13 7:37 AM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

p4p or anyone else for that matter, does that mean if JMM had accepted USADA he wanted a 10lb advantage?

if so, I'd drop a firm no on that if I was Bradley as well.

- and if I have a correct summary here:

NSAC, not USADA or VADA is handling the testing for the fight. Bradley ok'd the Carbon-Isotope ratio test and the fight is on. Which brings me to my last question, why is the Carbon-Isotope test so big in this? Does it make the NSAC testing virtually the same as VADA or USADA? or just answer a big question on Marquez?

8/12/13 3:58 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
830 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm asuming it means he can miss weight by up to 10 pounds? lol, silly if true.

8/12/13 4:01 PM
chadk
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP -

I'm asuming it means he can miss weight by up to 10 pounds? lol, silly if true.

No, it was referring to how much weight they could rehydrate to after weighing in. Phone Post
8/12/13 4:32 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
830 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yea that's not a big deal imo...whatever the fight is happening.

8/12/13 4:32 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Edited: 08/12/13 4:32 PM

dbl

8/12/13 6:21 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=68557#ixzz2bnQ3Bx1f This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Broner Warns Maidana: I Won't Run in Our Fight

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=68557#ixzz2bnQA08iW
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Luis Sandoval

After his fight with Paulie Malignaggi this past June, current WBC Lightweight and WBA Welterweight champion Adrien Broner said he would let the fans pick his next fight. It looks like Broner will grant fans their wish as he has his eyes set on a showdown with hard hitting Argentinean Marcos Maidana.

BoxingScene reported this past Thursday that a fight with Broner and Maidana was being worked on for November 9th as a Showtime Pay-Per-View event. When BoxingScene spoke to Adrien Broner, he confirmed Maidana is indeed the fight he wants to make and promised he’d be ready to go toe to toe.

“That’s definitely a fight I want. There’s only two fights I wanted. My bro Danny Garcia is fighting [Lucas] Matthysse so I’m going to fight that other motherf***er that nobody else wants to fight and that’s Maidana. He’s a fighter. Hell of a fighter, hell of a puncher so you know it’s going to be a hell of a fight. I’m not going to run from him. I’ll be there all night, he’s going to be there all night and I want everyone to anticipate the fight” Broner would tell BoxingScene.

For the time being it looks like Broner’s move to Welterweight will last for at least one more fight. Jumping up two weight classes in order to fight Malignaggi had people wondering just how effective and good Broner would look 12 pounds north of Lightweight. Broner was successful in his venture but while Malignaggi couldn’t offer the threat of a big puncher, Maidana will definitely fit that bill as his power is one of his best attributes.

Broner acknowledged Maidana might be a bigger puncher than Malignaggi but he feels Malignaggi offered something that Maidana will not if they square off in November.

“At the end of the day you can’t hit what you can’t see. Maidana, he can take a shot but he goes down. And a person who goes down that gets hit by Adrien Broner don’t get up. With that said, Paulie [Malignaggi], he don’t go down. That’s what I can say about Paulie” said Broner.

Golden Boy Promotions has had a stellar year in terms of the fights they have been able to produce and if they are able to pull off a Broner-Maidana bout in November, their streak of good fight and matchups will go deep into the end of the calendar year.

8/12/13 6:24 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Berto undergoing surgery for his shoulder.

8/12/13 6:26 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Soliman and N'Dam in the mix for Golovkin Nov. 2nd

Main Events boss Kathy Duva explained her side to me Saturday: "In a nutshell, an offer was made and I asked for the weekend to consider it. I was told [Saturday] afternoon that the Golovkin fight has been offered to [former titlist Hassan] N'Dam for the same money that was offered for Curtis, and that N'Dam has graciously accepted. This turn of events leaves me even more convinced that my asking price for Stevens is correct.

"After all, in New York City, an articulate, American, one-punch KO artist from Brooklyn, who is exciting to watch, talks trash, has created tremendous buzz coming off a spectacular nationally televised KO win, has won three fights that were viewed by a cumulative audience of over 5 million people in the U.S. since January, and who has an actual chance to beat Golovkin, is objectively worth more than a non-English speaking Frenchman who was last seen in Brooklyn being knocked down seven times.

"It is called 'marketability.' Stevens has it. N'Dam does not. If HBO doesn't think Stevens is worth more than N'Dam, then so be it. Curtis can keep building his name and gaining experience on NBC for the time being. Of course Stevens is calling Golovkin out, and of course he would love to fight on Nov. 2. However, it is my job to build value and make Curtis into something more than an 'opponent.' If [Golovkin promoter] K2 and HBO want to make another appearance fight for Golovkin, that is their right. If that is the case, they should definitely go with N'Dam."

Actually, N'Dam, who hasn't yet been approved by HBO from what I understand, was dropped six times (but who's counting, right?) when he lost his belt by decision to "Kid Chocolate" Peter Quillin in October.
But as in any juicy negotiation, there seems to be misinformation being spread around -- well, depending on whom you believe.

"We are speaking with HBO and looking for the best available opponent that will get in the ring with GGG," said Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions. "Stevens doesn't seem as excited to fight GGG as he was before his last fight, [but] we have not made an offer to N'Dam. I think he is a viable opponent, but have not made an offer to him yet."

"Yet," perhaps, being the operative word. Loeffler also said that he got an email from Sam Soliman's team saying they would be interested in taking a fight with Golovkin. That's not a fight HBO is likely to approve given Soliman's less-than-fan-friendly style, but the more names Loeffler dumps into the mix, the more he figures he can leverage Main Events to drop its price so that Stevens isn't aced out of the fight.

But Duva is a great poker player after thirty-something years in the boxing business.

"We have a plan for Curtis. We will not deviate from that plan for a price. But we will not deviate from that plan for the same money that it takes to get N'Dam," said Duva, adding that she, K2 and HBO "are not miles apart" in their figures.

Duva said if the fight with Golovkin isn't made that Stevens will fight on NBC in November or December. My feeling is that, when the sausage ultimately gets made, we'll have a tasty GGG-Stevens fight Nov. 2.

8/12/13 7:34 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/12/13 7:51 PM
SubbedZER0 - p4p or anyone else for that matter, does that mean if JMM had accepted USADA he wanted a 10lb advantage?

As chadk said it means that Bradley couldn't rehydrate more than 10 pounds after the weigh in. Which is not that unreasonable of a request.

If this was the old days fighters would have to weigh in on the same day as the fight. A lot of guys wouldn't be in the weight classes they are in if we still followed that practice, that's for sure.

SubbedZER0 - Which brings me to my last question, why is the Carbon-Isotope test so big in this? Does it make the NSAC testing virtually the same as VADA or USADA? or just answer a big question on Marquez?

CIR testing checks to see if synthetic testosterone is present. Victor Conte has said that VADA does this with every sample but that USADA only does it when the T/E ratio is over a certain number.

Just checking that out right now it seems that USADA says Conte is wrong and that they do indeed use CIR regularly as well.

So this testing that Arum has come up with appears to be pretty complete. They are even using a WADA lab in Utah to run the samples. And the sort of positive thing of all of this is that the Nevada commission will be aware of any results since they are involved every step of the way. They don’t have to depend on the promoter to inform them.
8/12/13 7:56 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Stevenson vs Cloud done deal for 9/28 on HBO

8/12/13 8:45 PM
OmgItsTheWams
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RCP_TT4LIFE -
Barry_BondsMVP - 

Stevenson vs Cloud done deal for 9/28 on HBO

Very fun fight.
My body is ready lol but seriously should be a fun fight Phone Post
8/12/13 10:32 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=68580#ixzz2boQp423Q
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Salvador Rodriguez

Former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has suffered a small cut on his eyelid, likely from a sparring session, and needs at least three weeks to properly heal. As a result, Chavez will not be ready to face Brian Vera in an HBO televised fight on September 7th at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Chavez has been training in his hometown of Culiacan under the supervision of Vladimir Baldenebro, Alex Ariza and his father, the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez.

Chavez's return has been pushed back several times. The young Mexican (46-1-1, 32KOs) has been inactive since last September when he suffered his first career defeat to Sergio Martinez.

There has been rumors that Chavez was having issues with weight in his training camp. The bout was initially going to take place at 160, then pushed to 165 and then bumped up to the super middleweight limit of 168.

The HBO televised co-feature was going to be a clash for the vacant WBO junior middleweight title between Vanes Martirosyan and Demetrius Andrade. That fight will get pushed back as well, but no word on where it is going to land.

8/13/13 12:03 AM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Chavez Jr schedules Lipo-suction surgery, fight will take place at 160 and on its original date"

- Bob Arumskino

8/13/13 8:23 AM
SubbedZER0

Edited: 08/13/13 8:25 AM
PoundforPound - 
SubbedZER0 - p4p or anyone else for that matter, does that mean if JMM had accepted USADA he wanted a 10lb advantage?

As chadk said it means that Bradley couldn't rehydrate more than 10 pounds after the weigh in. Which is not that unreasonable of a request.

If this was the old days fighters would have to weigh in on the same day as the fight. A lot of guys wouldn't be in the weight classes they are in if we still followed that practice, that's for sure.

SubbedZER0 - Which brings me to my last question, why is the Carbon-Isotope test so big in this? Does it make the NSAC testing virtually the same as VADA or USADA? or just answer a big question on Marquez?

CIR testing checks to see if synthetic testosterone is present. Victor Conte has said that VADA does this with every sample but that USADA only does it when the T/E ratio is over a certain number.

Just checking that out right now it seems that USADA says Conte is wrong and that they do indeed use CIR regularly as well.

So this testing that Arum has come up with appears to be pretty complete. They are even using a WADA lab in Utah to run the samples. And the sort of positive thing of all of this is that the Nevada commission will be aware of any results since they are involved every step of the way. They don’t have to depend on the promoter to inform them.

wanted to wait till I had some more time to respond p4p, big thanks for the info. I don't really know much of the drug testing process for the ACs or Test Companies. Prob gonna research that process myself for the NSAC and those two major companies.

I agree, the request wasn't that unreasonable. We all know Chavez Jr. despises the HBO same-day scale.

and I cringe at the thought of any promoter being responsible for the informing of drug test results. Especially if his name Bob Arum or Don King

8/13/13 10:45 AM
Randy Watson
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fact that the issue of testing it is still up for debate speaks volumes...
8/13/13 2:35 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

can't hate on your comment Mr. Randy Watson lol

8/13/13 3:16 PM
SubbedZER0

Randy Watson - The fact that the issue of testing it is still up for debate speaks volumes...

does this mean Boxing figured out TRT long before MMA?

8/13/13 6:00 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

heard JCC was having weight problems, lucky he got the cut.

Wilder said he's ready for the Mitchell/Arreola winner

8/13/13 6:01 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=68594#ixzz2btBWu79z

Mares vs. Santa Cruz Will Get Further Push in Carson

By Jake Donovan
When you boast a résumé and upcoming schedule like that of Abner Mares, you know better than to look past the opponent in front of you. The 27-year old endured a brutal schedule dating back to his first title fight with Yonnhy Perez in May ’10, yet remains unbeaten while collecting three titles along the way.
Another tough test awaits, as Mares makes the first defense of his featherweight belt against Jhonny Gonzalez on August 24 in Carson, California. The bout headlines a Showtime Championship Boxing doubleheader, but it’s the other leg of the show that has people talking about Mares’ future.
Leo Santa Cruz meets defending 122 lb. titlist Vic Terrazas, with serious talk about the evening’s winners facing off against one another down the road. The card doesn’t mark the first time that Mares and Santa Cruz have appeared on the same show, nor are talks of a future clash anything he hasn’t repeatedly heard in the past.
“This is the third time in a row I’m seeing Leo on a card where I’m fighting. It’s not an accident,” Mares (26-0-1, 14KO) says of the unbeaten former bantamweight titlist. “There’s definitely hope and chance that the fight can happen one day.”
Mares doesn’t say that with any hint of disrespect towards the opponent he’s facing. Gonzalez enters on the heels of a two-fight win streak following last year’s concession of the featherweight title to Daniel Ponce de Leon, whom Mares stopped in nine rounds to win the belt this past May.
“I’m expecting an A-plus version of Jhonny Gonzalez,” Mares promises. “People are talking like this is his last chance at a world title. He hears it and wants to prove everyone wrong. I hear it and expect a hungry ex-champion to try to knock me out.”
Should all go well for Mares and Santa Cruz – neither of whom are in gimme fights – talks will further ramp up for a head-on collision after sharing airtime on three recent cards. Mares’ aforementioned knockout of Ponce de Leon and Santa Cruz’ effortless stoppage of faded former champ Alex Muñoz both served as preliminary bouts to Floyd Mayweather’s points win over Robert Guerrero in May.
Prior to that, Mares and Santa Cruz posted wins in separate bouts on a shared Showtime telecast last November in Los Angeles. Santa Cruz beat down Victor Zaleta in nine rounds, while Mares posted a career-best win with a well-earned majority decision over Anselmo Moreno.
Regardless of whether or not they eventually meet doesn’t change Mares’ thoughts on the 24-year old volume puncher.
“He’s a really good fighter,” Mares admits without hesitation. “I was the first guy who named him ‘Little Margarito’ a long time ago. He fights just like him and throws a lot of punches. He’s a tornado. He’s a great fighter who has the same mentality; he goes in to please the crowd.”
Both fights on the August 24 card are expected to be crowd-pleasers. So too would what appears to be an inevitable head-on collision. Don’t expect it to impact Mares’ performance any, though.
“Not at all,” Mares insists when asked if extra pressure is placed to win and look good given what’s at stake. “I can’t speak for Leo. For me, it’s already how I fight. I take these tough fights because I’m not scared to lose. It motivates me to train and fight the way I do.”

8/13/13 9:38 PM
pharochuck
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
Barry_BondsMVP -

heard JCC was having weight problems, lucky he got the cut.

Wilder said he's ready for the Mitchell/Arreola winner

I'd like to see wilder take on Jennings. I think Jennings out boxes him. Mitchell is wide open, wilder would kill him and arreola still has power, but seems to have lost a step and no longer has the fire from a couple years ago. They would just be names for wilder, Jennings is a good mover sharp and hungry Phone Post 3.0
8/13/13 10:07 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

I like Jennings, I think they are likely saving that fight for maybe next year.

8/13/13 10:24 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

I heard Wilder's camp wants him to avoid Wlad until he retires.

8/14/13 1:21 AM
Randy Watson
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SubbedZER0 - 
Randy Watson - The fact that the issue of testing it is still up for debate speaks volumes...

does this mean Boxing figured out TRT long before MMA?

Nah, I just understand the concept of the types of testing being discussed or debated on a fight by fight basis. And the fighters have to agree on it.

That just does not sound right. Most countries anti doping agencies including the US are signatories to the WADA code. So why don't the althetic commissions just adopt that, and make it clear you fight in this state and you are subject to USADA testing verified in indepenent labs.

Funnliy enough the one major sport in Australia that did not agree to adopt the WADA/ASADA code here and go with there own stupid "3 strikes and your out policy" is now making headlines across the country for doping...
8/14/13 1:23 AM
Randy Watson

* don't understand...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.