UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

11/24/13 7:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BradGluckman
580 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PAC and Provo have sparred many times before Phone Post 3.0
11/24/13 7:59 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

U send that email Barry? Phone Post 3.0
11/24/13 8:20 PM
Demetrius_AndradeMVP
894 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will when I get home bro.

11/25/13 7:02 AM
Fedoral Crime
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy fuck, I jus seen the Groves/Froch fight, what an absolute sham!

That ref is a fucking idiot and lol at Froch saying it was a good stoppage. Groves was caching Froch in the exchange just before the stoppage I don't know what the ref was looking at.

Definite fuckery IMO. Definite fuckery indeed. Phone Post 3.0
11/25/13 7:06 AM
Fedoral Crime
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was funny seeing Naz getting interviewed before the fight too.

Ricky Hatton better start gobbling up some pies this X-mas if he wants to out-fat Naz. I don't think he can catch him now though, maybe next year. Phone Post 3.0
11/25/13 12:16 PM
GSP'issedinyourmouth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bradley and Pac in June... May and Pac in September.

Rios needed a rear view mirror for all the angles Pac was cutting on him.

Wasn't even a fight. Phone Post 3.0
11/25/13 2:48 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone think its worth seeing Pac/JMM for the 5th time?

I guess i sorta see the value of a Pac/Bradley rematch with Bradley beating JMM and having the war with Provodnikov and wronging the L in Pac's record even though it would essentially be beating Bradley again.
11/25/13 2:54 PM
Tomato Can
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - What about pacs weight? He weighed in the ring at 150? Will be a issue for other ww opponents for him?

He's weighed around 150 for all of his WW fights. He's about the same size as Floyd, both guys are very small for the WW division, let alone LMW.
11/25/13 3:00 PM
GSP'issedinyourmouth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Anyone think its worth seeing Pac/JMM for the 5th time?

I guess i sorta see the value of a Pac/Bradley rematch with Bradley beating JMM and having the war with Provodnikov and wronging the L in Pac's record even though it would essentially be beating Bradley again.

Whole point is to stamp it on paper.  Build to a PBF fight nicely too.  Especially when PBF KO's Kahn like he did Hatton

11/25/13 4:06 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has there been any rivalries in boxing or MMA that have had 4 5 or even 4 fights?
11/25/13 4:06 PM
Wasa-B

I suppose kickboxing is diff because of all the tournament formats.
11/25/13 5:47 PM
Demetrius_AndradeMVP
894 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

back in the old days, boxers always fought each other 3-5 times. Sandy Saddler and Willie Pep fought at least 4 times.

11/25/13 6:18 PM
tbi0904
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LaMotta and Sugar Ray fought 6 times. The third fight took place 3 weeks after the second fight.
11/25/13 11:16 PM
The Lord of Storms
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are some good boxing sites? Phone Post 3.0
11/25/13 11:22 PM
LaMarcus=GOAT DeMarcus=JOKE
764 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tbi0904 - LaMotta and Sugar Ray fought 6 times. The third fight took place 3 weeks after the second fight.
Wow, 3 weeks later. That's pretty crazy. You'll never see something like that again. Phone Post 3.0
11/25/13 11:40 PM
rorymcd
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is really crazy is that Sugar Ray had another fight in between the two LaMotta fights!

He lost a 10 round decision to LaMotta, two weeks later he won a 10 round decision over Jackie Wilson, then the next week he beat LaMotta in another 10 round decision. 30 rounds of boxing in three weeks against top contenders. They were grittier back then.
11/25/13 11:44 PM
Randy Watson
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is crazy. And the number of fights they had back then before they could even get a title shot.... Today's fighters would have won three "belts" and retired.

I read in a magazine a few years ago an article about why Mexicans have granite chins... They mentioned that on local fight cards, often fighters don't turn up for a number of reasons. They use guys from the same card to fill in. So backing up on the same night.

11/26/13 12:42 AM
Fedoral Crime

The Lord of Storms - What are some good boxing sites? Phone Post 3.0
Boxingscene is the only one I use. Phone Post 3.0
11/26/13 2:00 AM
764 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rorymcd - What is really crazy is that Sugar Ray had another fight in between the two LaMotta fights!

He lost a 10 round decision to LaMotta, two weeks later he won a 10 round decision over Jackie Wilson, then the next week he beat LaMotta in another 10 round decision. 30 rounds of boxing in three weeks against top contenders. They were grittier back then.
Wow that's just incredible. That shows how tough and hungry those guys were back then.

I like boxing a lot but I don't follow it as much as MMA, football, and basketball. I watched Tyson back in the day and now I watch most if the big fights.

Do boxers fight less now because of bigger paydays or they just don't have the desire to fight that often? Phone Post 3.0
11/26/13 3:10 AM
RingStinger
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LaMarcus=GOAT DeMarcus=JOKE -
rorymcd - What is really crazy is that Sugar Ray had another fight in between the two LaMotta fights!

Wow that's just incredible. That shows how tough and hungry those guys were back then.

I like boxing a lot but I don't follow it as much as MMA, football, and basketball. I watched Tyson back in the day and now I watch most if the big fights.

Do boxers fight less now because of bigger paydays or they just don't have the desire to fight that often? Phone Post 3.0
I would think it would have more to do with 1- head injurys
2- no real incentive to do so Phone Post 3.0
11/26/13 12:10 PM
rorymcd
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LaMarcus=GOAT DeMarcus=JOKE - 

This is a very good question, and there are a couple of reasons. First, as you mentioned the bigger paydays mean that fighters can thrive on 3-4 fights a year. Second there simply aren't as many opportunities to fight now as there was in 30's 40's and 50's.

I read a stat (I don't have the source off the top of my head), that showed the number of professional boxing shows run in an average year. In the late 1930's there were over 900 shows in the state of New York alone. By 2000 there were less than 900 professional shows in all of North America, including Mexico where boxing is second only to soccer in terms of popularity.

I was also read a book called Corner Men, detailing the careers of famous boxing coaches. Angelo Dundee, who cornered both Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard, talked about learning his craft as a second corner. He would be working professional fights 6 days a week!
11/26/13 1:19 PM
chadk
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Boxing Gods may be smiling upon us everyone... I read that Provodnikov wants to fight Brandon Rios next. This is a can't miss action fight and I don't care that Rios is on a two fight losing streak. This would be fun to watch. Phone Post
11/26/13 2:16 PM

chadk - The Boxing Gods may be smiling upon us everyone... I read that Provodnikov wants to fight Brandon Rios next. This is a can't miss action fight and I don't care that Rios is on a two fight losing streak. This would be fun to watch. Phone Post
Looks like Rios could be on his way to a 3 fight losing streak. Phone Post 3.0
11/26/13 2:27 PM
chadk
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LaMarcus=GOAT DeMarcus=JOKE -
chadk - The Boxing Gods may be smiling upon us everyone... I read that Provodnikov wants to fight Brandon Rios next. This is a can't miss action fight and I don't care that Rios is on a two fight losing streak. This would be fun to watch. Phone Post
Looks like Rios could be on his way to a 3 fight losing streak. Phone Post 3.0
I agree but it should be gloriously fun while it lasts! Phone Post
11/26/13 2:30 PM
ya
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rorymcd - 
LaMarcus=GOAT DeMarcus=JOKE - 

This is a very good question, and there are a couple of reasons. First, as you mentioned the bigger paydays mean that fighters can thrive on 3-4 fights a year. Second there simply aren't as many opportunities to fight now as there was in 30's 40's and 50's.

I read a stat (I don't have the source off the top of my head), that showed the number of professional boxing shows run in an average year. In the late 1930's there were over 900 shows in the state of New York alone. By 2000 there were less than 900 professional shows in all of North America, including Mexico where boxing is second only to soccer in terms of popularity.

I was also read a book called Corner Men, detailing the careers of famous boxing coaches. Angelo Dundee, who cornered both Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard, talked about learning his craft as a second corner. He would be working professional fights 6 days a week!

----------------------------
Average Number of Fights to the Title

Average Number of Rounds to the Title

And notice how the KO percentage of the fighters dropped as the competition improved

----------------------------
(courtesy of martin burke)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.