UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

12/17/13 12:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Barry_BondsMVP
890 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));

12/17/13 12:33 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
890 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez could select his next opponent as early as this week, his promoter said Monday, but it will not be former three-division world champion Miguel Cotto.

Alvarez, coming off a September unanimous-decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr., will choose from Alfredo Angulo, Erislandy Lara or Carlos Molina for a March 8 bout at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions told The Times.

Schaefer said that based on conversations he had with Cotto and his manager, the fighter will not be ready to fight Alvarez in March.

Despite an offer of more than $10 million to fight Alvarez, Cotto is believed to be exploring another bout, likely against middleweight world champion Sergio Martinez.

"We hope that the fight with Cotto will be happening later in," 2014, Schaefer said.

Schaefer said that if Alvarez opts for the most fan-friendly option of Mexico's Angulo (22-3, 18 knockouts), he'll likely pursue matching up Lara and Molina as the card's co-main event.

"Canelo-Angulo's a hell of a fight," Schaefer said.

Molina (22-6, 5 KOs) is the International Boxing Federation's 154-pound champion from Chicago who claimed the belt by beating Ishe Smith on the Mayweather-Alvarez undercard Sept. 14.

Lara (19-1-2, 12 KOs) beat Angulo by 10th-round technical knockout in June in Carson and former super-welterweight champion Austin Trout by unanimous decision Dec. 7 in Brooklyn.

12/17/13 2:16 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

12/17/13 3:04 AM
pharochuck
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
Barry_BondsMVP - 

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez could select his next opponent as early as this week, his promoter said Monday, but it will not be former three-division world champion Miguel Cotto.

Alvarez, coming off a September unanimous-decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr., will choose from Alfredo Angulo, Erislandy Lara or Carlos Molina for a March 8 bout at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions told The Times.

Schaefer said that based on conversations he had with Cotto and his manager, the fighter will not be ready to fight Alvarez in March.

Despite an offer of more than $10 million to fight Alvarez, Cotto is believed to be exploring another bout, likely against middleweight world champion Sergio Martinez.

"We hope that the fight with Cotto will be happening later in," 2014, Schaefer said.

Schaefer said that if Alvarez opts for the most fan-friendly option of Mexico's Angulo (22-3, 18 knockouts), he'll likely pursue matching up Lara and Molina as the card's co-main event.

"Canelo-Angulo's a hell of a fight," Schaefer said.

Molina (22-6, 5 KOs) is the International Boxing Federation's 154-pound champion from Chicago who claimed the belt by beating Ishe Smith on the Mayweather-Alvarez undercard Sept. 14.

Lara (19-1-2, 12 KOs) beat Angulo by 10th-round technical knockout in June in Carson and former super-welterweight champion Austin Trout by unanimous decision Dec. 7 in Brooklyn.

i'd really like to see caneo v lara. that would be a gret fight. i don't think cotto has the power or ability to be too much trouble for martinez

12/17/13 9:20 AM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think they will give Canelo that dangerous of a fight.
I expect something more along the lines of K-9 or Ishe Smith.
12/17/13 10:17 AM
xsrg95
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Canelo v Lara Cotto v anyone and Canelo v Cotto towards the end of the year.
12/17/13 3:43 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Broner-Maidana drew 1.3 million views

12/17/13 5:25 PM
PoundforPound
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It wasn't too long ago that 1 million views was considered rare for boxing on Showtime. Now they are drawing more than that on a regular basis. The network execs must be happy.

I'd like to see Canelo against Alfredo Angulo or James Kirkland if the Cotto fight doesn't happen.
12/17/13 5:39 PM
Tomato Can
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Angulo hasn't beaten anyone decent in 3 or 4 years. I'll pass on that.

Kirkland would be better but I think we all know Canelo/Lara is the fight to make. Sadly Canelo probably doesn't have much interest. He did fight Trout though (another fight I thought he'd never take) so maybe there's some hope.
12/17/13 5:44 PM
PTM2020
919 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^hate to break it to you guys but Boxing is dead.  ;)

I'd like to see Canelo X Angulo too, with Lara X Molina on the undercard.

Cotto X Martinez is intriguing and was pretty much what I figured would happen.

12/17/13 6:17 PM
GSP'issedinyourmouth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1.3m views because people wanted to see Broner lose.

That has been PBFs whole career of paychecks. 

12/17/13 11:19 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Rigo-Lomachenko Bout Presents Civilized Alternative

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=72833#ixzz2nnTBmToT
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Lyle Fitzsimmons

Connoisseurs of subtlety, unite.

While a majority of fans, broadcasters and experts seem to wet their collective pants at the idea of a slugfest and spend sleepless nights pining for a redux of Arturo Gatti vs. Micky Ward I, II or III, it’s not as if the rest of the boxing world has nothing to live for beyond mindless rock ‘em, sock ‘em robots.

Though it’s true that the over-the-top brutality of James Kirkland vs. Glen Tapia transforms Jim Lampley and Max Kellerman into shrilling tweens at a One Direction show, it’s no less true that the guys at the top of most top-performer lists—Floyd Mayweather Jr., Andre Ward and Timothy Bradley—would sooner be masterful than maniacal when defending their pound-for-pound turfs.

And lest anyone forget, whenever signature purveyors of the technician and Tasmanian devil approaches mix, the results are often devastatingly predictable.

Mayweather obliterated Gatti. Ward whipped Carl Froch. Bradley schooled Juan Manuel Marquez.

Some realities simply do not change.

So, while the caveman world spins its beads in the hope a “Thunder” reincarnate will appear along the Jersey seashore, those in the civilized sect can look forward to their most recent superstar addition mixing it up with a newcomer who’s abruptly staked a claim to similarly lofty status.

Ready or not, it’s Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Vasyl Lomachenko.

And if you’re not excited about that, well...you should be.

While the network that proffered two seasons of Carnivale holds its nose at the sublime excellence of the 33-year-old Cuban with two Olympic golds and a satchel full of pro hardware, those not blinded to bloodsport only are fully aware of the broad scope of Rigo’s talents.

In 2013 alone, he won 24 of 36 scorecard rounds from reigning Boxing Writers Association of America fighter of the year Nonito Donaire. Then he controlled every second of a dreary encounter with two-time champ Joseph Agbeko, who quickly chose survival over shellacking.   

He accomplished all this, incidentally, in just 13 pro fights.

No less an authority than Freddie Roach—a former fighter, current mentor of eight-division champ Manny Pacquiao and five-time winner of the BWAA trainer of the year award—pulled no punches when comparing “The Jackal” to fighters he’d encountered since turning pro in 1978.

“He's the best counterpuncher I've ever seen,” he said. “When I did the pads with him, I simply could not get through his defense. I tried. I couldn't, though. On his first day in the gym, he wanted to spar with Manny Pacquiao. I didn't allow it. I don't want Manny getting that kind of work in sparring.

“Manny is a bit big for him, but he's an offensive guy and with countering like that, he was more work than I needed. He's one of the greatest talents I've ever seen. Probably the greatest talent.”

And in an era when the best fight the best only when it makes business sense—and even then it’s no lock—Rigondeaux is bucking another trend. He’s calling out his highest-quality contemporaries.

His manager, Gary Hyde, said either a rematch with Donaire or a full-on challenge of Lomachenko is on the agenda for the new year.

Either fight would be great, but the latter would be better.

Based simply on the to-and-fro of the first encounter eight months ago—at the time, the Filipino hadn’t lost in 11 years and was being cast by some for a fast-track bust in Canastota—there’s almost no way a subsequently shell-shocked version can reverse Rigo's level of dominance.

Rigondeaux is smarter and faster, and he punches sharply enough to discourage all-out aggression. Short of such all-in reckless abandon, Donaire has zero chance against the Cuban, which makes a second go-round a little less appealing than the alternative—Lomachenko.

In the 25-year-old Ukrainian, who already matches the Cuban’s dual Olympic pedigree, Rigondeaux would encounter one of the few fighters to reach world-elite status on a more sped-up schedule than his own, which yielded a title belt in fight No. 9 in 2012.

Lomachenko debuted with a clinically punishing fourth-round stoppage of fringe 28-fight contender Jose Ramirez on the Bradley vs. Marquez undercard. He immediately began mentioning other big names in the 122 to 126-lb corridor, including WBO featherweight champ Orlando Salido.

The Ramirez KO positioned him as Salido’s No. 5 contender after just one fight, and a defeat of the respected but limited 33-year-old Mexican, who’s lost 12 times in 55 fights and is teetering toward the brink of being shopworn, would frame a Rigondeaux match nicely for bout No. 3 for Lomachenko.

Skill versus skill. Technique versus technique. Competitive intellect versus competitive intellect. Check your testosterone at the door and may the most complete fighter win.

If you’re a fan of boxing, you’ll flock to whichever network has the smarts to broadcast it.

If it doesn’t reach your threshold for smash and bash, perhaps there’ll be a truck pull on, too.

12/17/13 11:22 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

. R. Mayweather Rips Broner: Who The F*** Did He Beat?

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=72845#ixzz2nnU0cwPi
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Chris Robinson

The boxing world is still buzzing over Marcos Maidana’s upset victory over Adrien Broner this past weekend in San Antonio, Tex.

In front of over 11,000 fans inside of the Alamodome, Maidana fought a spirited and determined fight, as his power had great effect on his younger foe. Knockdowns of Broner were registered in rounds two and eight while several bludgeoning shots were delivered in many of the other frames.

When the dust had settled, Maidana has claimed a unanimous decision victory while Broner was left trying to cope with his first professional setback.

Swinging through the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas on Monday afternoon, there were several mixed reactions to the fight.

Outspoken former two-division champion Roger Mayweather admittedly didn’t catch the action but seemed intrigued by what transpired.

“I heard he got his *ss whooped,” Roger stated bluntly of Broner. “I haven’t seen it, but I heard.”

On June 25 of this year, a few days after Broner’s split-decision nod over Paulie Malignaggi, Roger was asked if Broner had enough intangibles to be regarded as the future of boxing.

Roger was far from sold back then and is even more skeptical now.

“I can’t even see how they going to say that he’s the next boxing superstar,” Roger stated. “Who the f*** did he beat? That’s why I want to know. Who did he beat?”

The fact that Broner was occasionally compared to Roger’s nephew Floyd, the sport’s best fighter at the moment, seemed to give him an unrealistic platform to reach.

Continuing his criticism, Roger insisted that he knew all along that wasn’t the case.

“He wasn’t what people thought he was,” Roger explained. “They thought he was the next Floyd Mayweather. Now that he got his *ss whooped, people are saying ‘Oh, this motherf***er wasn’t no Floyd.’ I know God damn well he wasn’t.”

12/17/13 11:26 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Sampson: Martinez vs. Cotto Will Sell Out in 72 Hours

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=72857#ixzz2nnV1BEsv

By Elisinio Castillo

International adviser, Sampson Lewkowicz, who works with Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez, says a potential fight with former three division champion Miguel Cotto would sell out in 72 hours. The fight is being targeted for a date of June 7th, likely at New York's Madison Square Garden. The two sides are negotiating but nothing has been finalized as of yet.

"A fight like this would produce something very interesting. The venue would be sold out within 72 hours. It would be a total success. The two largest communities there (in New York) are from Puerto Rico and Argentina," Lewkowicz told Carlos Narvaez.

"Martinez has no problem facing Cotto. Logic says that a fight with Cotto would land in New York's Madison Square Garden, but we do not know anything and we have not sat down with Cotto's adviser, Gabriel Peñagarícano. The two who are negotiating are Todd DuBoef (Top Rank) and Lou DiBella, who is the promoter of Martinez."

12/17/13 11:31 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Mayorga: No More MMA, I'm Going Back To Boxing

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=72849#ixzz2nnWC4EHF

By Pablo Fletes, notifight.com

Former two-division world champion Ricardo "El Matador" Mayorga has had enough of Mixed Martial Arts. Last Saturday night, Mayorga (0-3-1 in Mixed Martial Arts) was submitted in two rounds by Sergio "Checo" Ortiz (2-1) in a Mixed Martial Arts encounter. It was a rematch, the first time around Mayorga lost a three round split decision in San Jose, Costa Rica on October 13.

Saturday's fight was Mayorga's fourth Mixed Martial Arts battle. And the second time he was made to submit in MMA, and his third straight loss in MMA.

Mayorga's first MMA clash was eventually ruled a no-contest after the Nicaraguan boxer landed an illegal blow on the opponent. On July 28th, Mayorga only lasted a 1:40 of the first round when he was choked out by Rene "Level" Martinez (5-0-1) in Managua.

Mayorga (29-8-2, 23KOs), 40-years-old, is now planning to return to boxing. Mayorga has been away from the ring since a twelfth round TKO loss to Miguel Cotto in March of 2011.

"I'm leaving Mixed Martial Arts and returning to boxing. I want thank everyone who supported me [with MMA], the referees, and the Federation of Mixed Martial Arts. I will return to my sport, boxing, and I will win a fourth world title," Mayorga said.

12/17/13 11:37 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Canelo: Miguel Cotto Fight Will Happen Sooner or Later

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=72852#ixzz2nnXbOmWj

By Salvador Rodriguez

Former junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (42-1-1, 30KOs) expects to face Puerto Rican star Miguel Cotto (38-4, 31KOs) at some point in his career.

Canelo wanted to face Cotto on March 8th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Golden Boy Promotions offered $10 million dollars for the fight, but there was a conflict with the date. Cotto is not able to get ready in time for the March date, and has no plans to return before June. And Canelo had no intention of waiting until June to make his 2014 debut. Canelo has three set dates in 2014, with the second date coming in July, and wanted to keep his schedule intact.

"I have not ruled [Cotto] out [for the future]. It is a fight that is going to happen, sooner or later. People want to see it, we want it because the people have been asking for it and it will be a great fight. The problem is that I will not wait until June [to fight him]. I have my plan, to fight three times [in 2014," Canelo said.

The two apparent frontrunners to face Canelo in March are IBF junior middleweight champion Carlos Molina and tough Mexican Alfredo Angulo.

12/18/13 12:53 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

this is pretty cool lol

http://damn.com/p/listening-to-roy-jones-jr-when-suddenly/
12/19/13 4:33 PM
The Lord of Storms
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit did you guys know max kellerman used to be a rapper what the fuck!?

http://youtu.be/yW-mK5KQ4Pc Phone Post 3.0
12/19/13 5:33 PM
xsrg95
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

haha kellerman is dope.
12/19/13 5:41 PM
xsrg95

i was on Broner's wiki page and got excited about the future fight date with Victor Ortiz but with a Google search it turns out to be bullshit but i did come across this, Ortiz still mad haha www.fightsaga.com/news/item/3828-Adrien-Broner-destroys-Marcos-Maidana,-insists-Victor-Ortiz
12/19/13 6:34 PM
Thuglife13
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

xsrg95 - i was on Broner's wiki page and got excited about the future fight date with Victor Ortiz but with a Google search it turns out to be bullshit but i did come across this, Ortiz still mad haha www.fightsaga.com/news/item/3828-Adrien-Broner-destroys-Marcos-Maidana,-insists-Victor-Ortiz

LoL @ Victor Ortiz

He's becoming a joke with all that noise. He quit like a lil bitch against Josesito Lopez and got owned by Money May and has the nerve to say Broner vs Maidana was a joke and was basically Broner's groupie, repeating his "easy" line.

Just stop...
12/19/13 8:18 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Ortiz is Simple Jack.

12/19/13 10:11 PM
The Lord of Storms
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Lord of Storms - Holy shit did you guys know max kellerman used to be a rapper what the fuck!?

http://youtu.be/yW-mK5KQ4Pc Phone Post 3.0
Someone mind embedding Phone Post 3.0
12/19/13 10:32 PM
MMA Playwright
643 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kellerman used to rap with his brother that got killed by that asshole boxer who cheapshotted the guy on ESPN.

12/19/13 10:34 PM
MMA Playwright
643 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.