UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

1/6/14 5:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chadk
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hearing Malinaggi is being considered for Floyd's next bout. Could anyone defend that choice??? Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 5:55 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
893 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

we always hear silly names thrown around for Floyd. But to answer your question, no!!!

1/6/14 6:13 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP -

so far, Bradley-Pac II, Angulo-Canelo and Cotto-Martinez for 2014!!!

Whooooaa

Big time fight announcements. Is Cotto/ Sergio signed? And lol @ not fighting Lara, c'mon Canelo Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 6:25 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
893 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not yet Gay, but I don't see why it wont be soon.

1/6/14 6:32 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

how about Haye coming out of retirement lol, ducks Fury to face Stiverne

1/6/14 6:33 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Shumenov Reacts To Kovalev: If You Want Me, Just Ask!

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=73392#ixzz2pfFbWhMB
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Luke Furman

WBA light heavyweight champion Beibut Shumenov has responded to some recent critical comments from Sergey Kovalev, the WBO's champion at 175-pounds.

Last month, Kovalev (23-0-1, 21KOs) took a direct shot at Shumenov (14-1, 9KOs), as the Russian puncher voiced his disgust with World Boxing Association's decision to make Shumenov a "super champion" at light heavyweight.

"Beibut Shumenov is a world champion only in writing. To not box for a year and a half, and then get the status of super champion.....it's funny. The WBA is a [sanctioning body] that has some strange, inappropriate decisions. Perhaps the officials simply are feeding off of him, because, as I have heard, Beibut is quite financially secure," Kovalev told Championat.

Shumenov was very surprised with the comments, especially since the two fighters have had a respectful relationship.

"[Kovalev's comments] were unpleasant. Kovalev was my guest during an evening of boxing in Shymkent. Then he was at my rematch with Campillo in the United States and congratulated me on my victory. We always talked normally with each other. But now that he won the title, he started to say things like that. Why? For what? I do not know what he imagines about himself. If he wants us to meet in the ring, he does not need a lot of words to get it done. Let him say: 'I need a fight with Shumenov.' That's all. I'm ready to fight him. And I've talked about it with [Golden Boy CEO] Richard Schaefer and [adviser] Al Haymo. Their answer: 'do not worry, we will get you this fight.' But [the Kovalev fight will have to happen] after [I get my] fight with [IBF champion] Bernard Hopkins," Shumenov said.

1/6/14 6:35 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Boxer Dies in Japan After Being Knocked Out in Pro Debut

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=73385#ixzz2pfG3J7eE
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

by Ronnie Nathanielsz

A 21 year old Japanese boxer, Tesshin Okada has died 17 days after he suffered a fourth round knockout in his professional debut.

The Japan Boxing Commission announced that Okada died in a Tokyo hospital on Monday.

Okada reportedly lost consciousness after the fourth and final round of a super-flyweight bout against another fighter who was also making his pro debut.

The JBC said Okada was rushed to hospital by ambulance and underwent a craniotomy after being diagnosed with an acute subdural hematoma.

Okada was the 38th boxer to die from injuries in bouts in Japan since the JBC was founded in 1952.

His death comes less than a month since a 16-year-old schoolboy Jonas Garcia died after an amateur fight in a regional schools meet in the Philippines.

Garcia suffered internal bleeding and was in a coma for a week after the bout. His death triggered calls for the sport to be banned in schools in the Philippines.

1/6/14 6:36 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Pacquiao Adviser: Bob Arum Should Free Manny For Floyd!

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=73368#ixzz2pfGMM9st

By Edward Chaykovsky

Franklin ‘Jeng’ Gacal, a legal adviser to eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao, is urging promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank to free the Filipino star from his promotional contract - so that Pacquiao can move forward and face Floyd Mayweather Jr. in what is certainly the biggest fight in boxing.

In several recent interviews, Mayweather stated that he refused to make any fight with Pacquiao as long as Arum was involved. Pacquiao's contract with Top Rank expires at the end of the year.

Arum will attempt to resign Pacquiao at the end of the year, but Gacal would rather see the veteran promoter let his superstar go, so Pacquiao could secure the fight he's wanted for several years.

“History is waiting and Bob should free Manny.  That would be Bob’s greatest contribution to boxing history,” Gacal said in an exclusive interview with Edwin Espejo of the Asian Correspondent. "[If] that is Floyd’s condition and if Manny agrees – and it looks like Manny will agree to fight Floyd, the only way is not to renew his contract with Bob Arum’s Top Rank.  Manny should be a freelancer for the fight to happen."

The other option, said Gacal, is for Arum and Top Rank to get paid a step-aside fee in order for Pacquiao and Mayweather to fight.

“Floyd could agree to Manny hiring Bob on a contractual basis with a fixed fee,” Gacal explained.

Pacquiao is set to return to the ring on April 12th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, while Mayweather is set to return to the same venue on May 3rd.

1/6/14 6:59 PM
SubbedZER0
342 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - Merry Christmas to all the UG Boxing fans.

What boxing related gift would you like to give and receive in 2014?

Receive-Canelo vs. Cotto and stacked undercard at MSG free on Showtime

Give-The gift of health to Sergio Martinez for 1 last fight. Phone Post 3.0

Stopping in late to say the same and a happy new year. 

Receive - The Re-establishment of the higher pro weight classes and/or higher success for the US olympic team

Give - I'm absolutely with whoever said give Paul Williams the ability to walk again. I believe he was being talked about for another match with Lara or Canelo around the time of the accident.

1/6/14 7:03 PM
SubbedZER0
342 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - So FNF is back, anybody catch the finish on the main event? Controversial ending, ill post in a few Phone Post 3.0

After the bell imo, I think the first punch of the combo was right on the first ring for the end of the round and the KO punch came soon after.......any thoughts on Kirkland/Tapia? Thought Kirkland threw a couple late but then again I also thought it wouldn't have looked so bad had he not killed him with the last one. 

Question for thread - Thoughts on who had the toughest schedule of opponents in 2013?

1/6/14 7:29 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SubbedZER0 -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - So FNF is back, anybody catch the finish on the main event? Controversial ending, ill post in a few Phone Post 3.0

After the bell imo, I think the first punch of the combo was right on the first ring for the end of the round and the KO punch came soon after.......any thoughts on Kirkland/Tapia? Thought Kirkland threw a couple late but then again I also thought it wouldn't have looked so bad had he not killed him with the last one. 

Question for thread - Thoughts on who had the toughest schedule of opponents in 2013?

Kirkland threw a late combo that made tapia lose his legs, although I think he shouldn't even had been out there for that round. Shame on his corner.

I personally still believe Mikey Garcia is fighter of the year. Destruction of Salido, Knockout of JML, and Body Shot Ko of Rocky at Super Feather. 2 belts 2 weight classes, 2 spectacular finishes, all the while he was only 25 when it happened. Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 7:58 PM
Tomato Can
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought that Barthelemy's last 2 punches were both clearly after the bell.
1/6/14 8:07 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

7:50 You be the judge, although I think it's clear that at 7:53 he gave him the right hook then left AFTER the bell. Referees fault for botching the call 

1/6/14 10:58 PM
PoundforPound
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chadk - Hearing Malinaggi is being considered for Floyd's next bout. Could anyone defend that choice??? Phone Post 3.0

No.

It's bullshit though. He's not fighting Paulie.
1/7/14 12:06 AM
SubbedZER0

watching that vid again I def don't think it was as bad as Kirkland/Tapia. KO punch was late enough for a penalty/fight overturn imo

Agreed on Mikey Garcia Gayguard. I had Golovkin up there as well, he has stoppages over Rosado, Ishida, Macklin, and Stevens on the year. Mikey won his titles from the respected champions while Golovkin won a vacant and an interim (I believe) all at MW. Following those two I have Danny Garcia just for having a breakout year and the Matthysse defeat, I'll accept Tim Bradley on those grounds as well. I'm aware Stevenson also fought four times with the KO of Dawson, but I didn't like his other opponents enough.

1/7/14 12:39 AM
SubbedZER0

I should add I meant the Barthelemy fight is WORSE than the Tapia/Kirkland ending, I didn't mean for it to read the other way around.

1/7/14 1:23 AM
Randy Watson
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The two shots that finished Mendez clearly after the bell. One of the lefts to the body before the first knockdown was borderline low too. Ref was too far from the action when the bell rang to jump in.
1/7/14 1:29 AM
Randy Watson
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I noticed Ring gave there FOY award to Golovkin btw.
1/7/14 9:39 AM
Tomato Can
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ridiculous, indefensible pick. Golovkin is undoubtably a killer but beating up on B-listers should not make you FOTY. There are at least 3 or 4 more deserving fighters.
1/7/14 4:55 PM
PoundforPound
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^I agree. Nothing against Golovkin but he's basically a can crusher at the moment.

Both Stevenson and Kovalev fought 4 times last year too but they did so against tougher opposition.
1/7/14 7:17 PM
pharochuck
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
Tomato Can - Ridiculous, indefensible pick. Golovkin is undoubtably a killer but beating up on B-listers should not make you FOTY. There are at least 3 or 4 more deserving fighters.

i concur

1/7/14 7:19 PM
pharochuck
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
PoundforPound - ^I agree. Nothing against Golovkin but he's basically a can crusher at the moment.

Both Stevenson and Kovalev fought 4 times last year too but they did so against tougher opposition.

stevenson blew out two guys in dawson and cloud who at the begining of the year was the clear cut champ in the division and the other a former champ and still a top contender. they both now are pretty much finished as being considered top guys after the way stevenson rolled through them

1/7/14 8:46 PM
Chomas
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - Ridiculous, indefensible pick. Golovkin is undoubtably a killer but beating up on B-listers should not make you FOTY. There are at least 3 or 4 more deserving fighters.
I agree with Max Kellerman's pick of Bradley. Phone Post 3.0
1/7/14 8:59 PM
chadk
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bradley earned it imo.
1/7/14 9:10 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

I like Bradley as the choice too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.