UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

3/30/14 12:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DanChow
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adonis Stevenson insists Kovalev quit crying and talk to Haymon to make the fight happen. Isn't that what they've already done?
3/30/14 1:00 AM
stillmatic
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I guess the fight to make is Ward-Kovalev. I don't see Ward going up to 175 though, he would most likely insist on a Catch Weight.
3/30/14 1:38 AM
tbi0904
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love to see Kovalev/Ward. Personally I don't think Stevenson is all that interested in Kovalev. He can pocket a nice paycheck and collect another belt against Hopkins.
3/30/14 3:02 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
812 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what's up fellas....would love to see Kovalev crush Stevenson.

Mayfield is booboo, all he did was load up on that right hand tonight, terrible game plan. Dulorme fought a good fight, should of used the jab more though.

Kovalev is a monster, such a methodical dismantling tonight. Felt for Angew, I think he broke his ribs before the end of the sixth. He told his corner going into the 7th his ribs were hurting.
3/30/14 3:03 AM
Fedoral Crime
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did they show Pac/Bradley 24/7 straight after the Kovalev fight? Phone Post 3.0
3/30/14 3:15 AM
pharochuck
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
Tebow For President - Run Adonis, go fight a 50 year old man. Get that money.

i know kovalev is a beast, but if that '50 year old man' would have been in there instead of agnew this might have been a bad night for kovalev. agnew showed some glimpses that a master like hopkins would have exploited much better. lets not act like stevenson by having his sights set on hopkins has an automatic win. pascal and cloud both thought the same thing and ended up embarrassed.

3/30/14 3:18 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
812 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedoral Crime - Did they show Pac/Bradley 24/7 straight after the Kovalev fight? Phone Post 3.0

yea they did, watching the replay now
3/30/14 10:29 AM
Tomato Can
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Based on that performance I actually think Stevenson would beat Kovalev. Kovalev got hit a bit too easily there for my liking. Would still be rooting hard for Kovalev though.
3/30/14 12:11 PM
stillmatic
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This may not be popular opinion, but I think Stevenson did the right thing gunning for Hopkins. He makes himself a bigger name beating Hopkins than he would Kovalev. Right now, Kovalev is still building his name and that fight can be huge in another year or so. If Stevenson fights him now and Kovalev wins, he is basically making his name off Stevenson.

We all want to see the fight, but it can be a mega fight if you let it simmer a bit and both fighters get paid for what is a very dangerous fight for both.
3/30/14 12:15 PM
TzTinkle
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree that the fight will be bigger in a years time, but Stevenson is already 36. His window will be closing very shortly.
3/31/14 1:09 AM
Fedoral Crime
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP -
Fedoral Crime - Did they show Pac/Bradley 24/7 straight after the Kovalev fight? Phone Post 3.0

Did Pacquiao say the word "aggressiveness" by any chance? Lol Phone Post 3.0
3/31/14 2:34 AM
KnockoutThoughts
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stillmatic - This may not be popular opinion, but I think Stevenson did the right thing gunning for Hopkins. He makes himself a bigger name beating Hopkins than he would Kovalev. Right now, Kovalev is still building his name and that fight can be huge in another year or so. If Stevenson fights him now and Kovalev wins, he is basically making his name off Stevenson.

We all want to see the fight, but it can be a mega fight if you let it simmer a bit and both fighters get paid for what is a very dangerous fight for both.
Although I do agree with waiting it out for a bigger payday, I find that mentality sometimes causes the boxing world to miss out on mega matches. Sometimes you have to take a fight in the window of time that it is available and relevant. Kovalev vs Stevenson is huge right now, and nothing in boxing is promised. If Stevenson loses to Hopkins, then this fight loses it's significance and luster. The whole premise behind this fight is to find out who is the real superman of the 2. They both look unstoppable. It's like chess. If Stevenson's plan works and he runs through Hopkins and Fonfara, and meets Kovalev down the road for a huge payday, great. He played an excellent game. If not, it ends up as a repeat of Floyd and Pac, and diminishes both their careers for never having met in the ring. Not good for boxing or the fans. Hopefully it happens though. Phone Post 3.0
3/31/14 2:21 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

good post knockout
3/31/14 2:21 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Fedoral Crime - 
Barry_BondsMVP -

Did Pacquiao say the word "aggressiveness" by any chance? Lol Phone Post 3.0

lol I can't recall if he used that exact word, but he did say he'll be more aggressive this fight.
4/1/14 1:26 AM
allforroy
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody notice that chick get hit with a right a couple rows back after that first Kovalev knockdown. You can see it as Agnew was going down. Kovalev is a frickin beast and the way he goes to the body with both hands from distance is brutal. Phone Post 3.0
4/1/14 5:14 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$70 for that fucking ppv in HD, HBO undercards are so weak. Phone Post 3.0
4/1/14 9:53 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Rahman Ready For Action in The Super 8 Tournament

By Duncan Johnstone

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Hasim Rahman will contest the New Zealand Super 8 tournament in June.

At 41, Rahman's best days are behind him, but the American is a controversial figure in New Zealand after his two fights against David Tua.

Tua ended Rahman's undefeated run in 1998 with a 10th-round knockout. Their 2003 rematch ended in a draw.

Both fights were in the United States and filled with controversy.

Tua staggered Rahman with a punch after the bell in the ninth round of their first fight and then pounced on him to finish the bout in the next round.

In the rematch, Rahman floored Tua - for the first time in Tua's career - but the punch came after the bell in the 12th round and did not count.

Attempts to produce what would have been a lucrative and emotion-fuelled third fight failed.

Rahman finally arrives in New Zealand with Tua now off the scene after last year's retirement.

Rahman should be a drawcard for the quick-fire tournament that features eight boxers fighting three-round elimination fights on the night, with the eventual winner claiming the bulk of the $500,000 pot.

Rahman has been in the ring with all the major names in his era and his highlight was in 2001 when he beat Britain's Lennox Lewis to claim the unified WBC, IBF and IBO heavyweight crowns with a fifth-round knockout in Las Vegas.

His reign was short. Lewis knocked out Rahman in four rounds in their rematch seven months later.

Rahman has gone on to win 50 (41 knockouts) of his 61 fights, although he has not been in the ring since September 2012, when he was knocked out in the second round by Alexander Povetkin in Germany. He has fought just twice in the last three years.

Rahman is the fifth fighter confirmed for the June 4 event in West Auckland that is being promoted by Sky TV for their Arena pay-per-view channel.

He joins former WBC heavyweight champion Samuel Peter (Nigeria), Australian-based Kiwi Kali Meehan, England's Michael Sprott and Ireland's Martin Rogan.
4/1/14 9:54 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Duva: Pascal A "Very Attractive" Option For Kovalev

By Keith Idec

ATLANTIC CITY — Sergey Kovalev might fight a transplanted Canadian from Haiti after all.

Kathy Duva, whose company promotes Kovalev, said she is open to making a Kovalev-Jean Pascal light heavyweight title fight later this year. Pascal, a former WBC 175-pound champion, is the second-best light heavyweight in Quebec, but still an attractive alternative to Adonis Stevenson, the current WBC light heavyweight champion whose highly anticipated showdown with Kovalev fell apart last week.

“It’s obviously an opponent that makes sense,” Duva said of Pascal. “We are reserving all of our rights with Stevenson and I wouldn’t, at this point, say that [Kovalev-Stevenson is] not going to happen for sure. But talking in the alternative, if not now, later, at some point in time [Pascal is] certainly an opponent that’s very attractive. He’s definitely on our radar.”

Pascal (29-2-1, 17 KOs) is coming off a 12-round, unanimous-decision win over fellow French-Canadian fan favorite Lucian Bute (31-2, 24 KOs) on Jan. 18 at Bell Centre in Montreal. The Pascal-Bute bout was broadcast by HBO, which signed Russia’s Kovalev to a multi-fight extension last week to box exclusively on that premium-cable channel.

The 31-year-old Pascal also is one of the few saleable alternatives to Stevenson that is willing and available to face Kovalev (24-0-1, 22 KOs), who knocked out overmatched Cedric Agnew (26-1, 13 KOs) in the seventh round Saturday night at Boardwalk Hall’s Adrian Phillips Ballroom.

Philadelphia’s Bernard Hopkins (54-6-2, 32 KOs, 2 NC) and Kazakhstan’s Beibut Shumenov (14-1, 9 KOs) are scheduled to box April 19 at Washington’s D.C. Armory in a light heavyweight unification fight for Hopkins’ IBF championship and Shumenov’s WBA crown. Stevenson (23-1, 20 KOs) is expected to meet the Hopkins-Shumenov winner in his following fight if he overcomes Chicago’s Andrzej Fonfara (25-2, 15 KOs, 1 NC) on May 24 at Bell Centre in Montreal.

Mexico’s Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (48-1-1, 32 KOs, 1 NC), another potential opponent for Kovalev, has agreed to fight Kazakhstan’s Gennady Golovkin (29-0, 26 KOs) in an HBO Pay-Per-View main event July 19 at The Forum in Inglewood, Calif. Unbeaten WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward (27-0, 14 KOs) isn’t expected to move up to challenge Kovalev, either, and Kovalev cannot make the super middleweight limit of 168 pounds.

Those complications could leave Pascal in prime position to land a fight against Kovalev. Like Stevenson, Pascal was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, moved to Quebec at a young age and eventually became very popular among French-Canadian fight fans.

“[Pascal] has a name; people know him,” Duva said. “I believe a lot of this comes down to name recognition. He has that and he also has been in there with the very best. He’s an elite-level fighter. And yeah, of course, he’s a very attractive opponent.”

Yvon Michel, Pascal’s former promoter, has the contractual right to match any offer made for Pascal’s next fight. Duva said that wouldn’t stop her from pursuing a Kovalev-Pascal fight, despite that she and Michel have engaged in a very public disagreement over the past week regarding whether Stevenson, whom Michel also promotes, reneged on a negotiated deal to battle Kovalev in an HBO-televised clash in the fall.

“This is boxing,” Duva said. “It’s too small [to not work together]. We have a major difference of opinion here. Maybe we need to bring someone in to decide who’s right and wrong. But if we make a deal with [Pascal] and he wants to match it, fine. No problem.”

Duva added that a Kovalev-Pascal clash wouldn’t necessarily be staged in Montreal or Quebec City, where Pascal has done big box-office business for his two fights against Hopkins, the Bute bout and victories over Chad Dawson and Adrian Diaconu.

“I think, frankly, if Sergey gets big enough it could do big business here,” Duva said, referring to Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall. “It’s hard to predict what’s going to happen. But [Pascal] seems to want to fight in the United States and you can do pay-per-view in Canada. The fight could take place in the United States and you still could have that income stream coming from Canada, which is nice.”
4/1/14 9:55 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Molina on Facing Matthysse Instead of Broner

By Ryan Burton

BoxingScene.com recently spoke to junior welterweight contender John Molina Jr. about his upcoming fight against former champion Lucas Matthysse at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif. The fight takes place on April 26th and will be broadcast by Showtime.

Just a few weeks ago it appeared that Molina would be facing former three-division champion Adrien Broner but Broner's team decided to go in another direction and face Carlos Molina instead. Molina said he would have been happy facing either fighter but feels that a fight against Matthysse can't help but produce fireworks.

"I am not worried about (the opponent change). Both are big names and are in the upper echelon of the division. Stylistically it is a bit different given the fact that Lucas Matthysse is more of a come forward kind of guy and I believe that Broner would have tried to box and move especially given the recent outing he had against Marcos Maidana. I don't think he would want to get back in that same situation again," Molina revealed.

I asked Molina if he felt that Broner's team might have thought that he was too much of a risk in his first fight back after his loss to Maidana and that is why they decided to go with Carlos Molina who isn't known as being a heavy hitter.

"I don't want to take anything away from Carlos Molina because he is a good fighter and he earned his position to be there but I do believe there was some strategic reasoning in why he is coming down to 140 and reasoning why they went in a different direction than with me. I can't take anything away from Adrien Broner. He is still a good fighter. The fact that he was able to finish the fight against Marcos Maidana on his feet says something about him. Even though Maidana beat him pretty decisively, you still have to give Adrien Broner credit for finishing the fight and winning some of the middle rounds," Molina told BoxingScene.com.
4/1/14 9:56 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Kovalev's HBO Headlining Debut Draws Over 1 Million

By Jake Donovan

Despite going in as a 38-1 favorite against an unknown opponent, Sergey Kovalev came up big in his debut as an HBO main event fighter. The Russian knockout artist managed a respectable rating over just over 1 million viewers for his March 29th knockout win over Cedric Agnew in Atlantic City.

Kovalev’s 7th round knockout win over Agnew was viewed in 1.006 million homes, according to data obtained from Nielsen Media Research.

The ratings pull gives HBO its second consecutive boxing telecast of more than 1 million viewers, and third straight fight to hit that mark. Both legs of the March 1 doubleheader reached “two-comma” viewership, with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr’s repeat win over Bryan Vera serving as the year’s highest rated cable boxing telecast with 1.39 million viewers tuned in. The March1 co-feature saw Orlando Salido barely outlast rookie Vasyl Lomachenko, with their 12-round split decision playing to 1.017 million homes.

The show was designed to set up a fall clash with lineal light heavyweight king Adonis Stevenson, who instead chose a more lucrative deal with Showtime for his May 24 title defense versus fringe contender Andrzej Fonfara.

With Stevenson walking (some will argue running) across the street, Kovalev is left with few desirable options for his next appearance on HBO. It didn’t detract from viewership interest; in fact, the turn of events dominated the weekly headlines, with all eyes still on Kovalev last Saturday.

Plans for an off-TV (or at least off-HBO) fight in Russia in May are currently delayed, due to Kovalev—now 24-0-1 (22KO)–suffering cuts over both eyes. The reigning light heavyweight titlist figures to return to the ring sometime in the early summer.
4/1/14 10:15 PM
Tomato Can
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kovalev/Pascal will be a great fight. I ain't mad at that.
4/1/14 10:18 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

yea that would be nice
4/3/14 8:20 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Pernick
Keane
Trowbridge

are the judges for Pac-Bradley
4/3/14 8:25 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

just found this out, Gary Russell's bro charged for murder.

We are reading and hearing reports that former Beltway Boxer Gary "Fast Hands" Jones has been arrested and charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Cinaway Morson this past Monday.

According to police reports, Jones allegedly shot Morson in the Sweet Soul Cafe and Lounge on Southern Avenue in Oxon Hill, MD just before 5 PM on January 13. Jones was the owner of the club. According to WJLA-TV, authorities received an anonymous tip that someone had been shot inside the building, which was closed to customers. When the police arrived, they found Morson shot to death. Police tracked down Jones a short time later and found what may have been the murder weapon.

The 35-year-old Jones (22-2, eight KO's) fought off and on from 1996-2011. Previous legal issues kept Jones away from the ring for almost eight years. Jones is the older brother of the fighting Russell Family.
4/5/14 12:02 AM
Fedoral Crime

Barry_BondsMVP - Pernick
Keane
Trowbridge

are the judges for Pac-Bradley
That name Trowbridge sounds familiar and not the good type of familiar. Was he a judge in a controversial fight recently? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.