UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

1/27/14 7:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Mouth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - 

Ward is Ready, Says Gennady Golovkin is Not

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=74070#ixzz2rdzW6N5y
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Bill "Two Scoops" Emes

WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward (27-0, 14KOs) is ready to face Gennady Golovkin (28-0, 25KOs), the WBA/IBO champion at 160-pounds, at any time. But makes it clear that Golovkin and his team are in no hurry to step in the ring with him. Golovkin returns to action this coming Saturday night in Monaco, against Osumanu Adama (22-3, 16KOs).

Ward takes issue with Golovkin's promoted reputation of "willing to fight anyone" - when his team is not willing to match them any time soon. Additionally, Ward is confused by recent quote where Golovkin's promoter claimed their fighter was the bigger star.

"I don't really know how to feel about that fight. From a business standpoint of course [we can do it]. If he continues to win, and if I continue to win - a year from now it's a bigger fight. I have no problem with that, but what I do have a problem with is when you build your reputation as being this fearless guy from 160 to 175 - but then backtrack and say 'oh it's about the business and we're going to wait.' I just don't understand that, it doesn't add up. And his promoter saying that he's a bigger star...I'm just scratching my head about that stuff. It is what it is. I'm not chasing anybody. I think I've earned the right to fight the biggest and the best fights and that's what we're in the process of doing," Ward told BoxingScene.com.

Ward can win this fight by boxing.  I dont know that I blame GGG here. 

1/27/14 7:58 PM
pharochuck
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
Barry_BondsMVP - 

Ward is Ready, Says Gennady Golovkin is Not

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=74070#ixzz2rdzW6N5y
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Bill "Two Scoops" Emes

WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward (27-0, 14KOs) is ready to face Gennady Golovkin (28-0, 25KOs), the WBA/IBO champion at 160-pounds, at any time. But makes it clear that Golovkin and his team are in no hurry to step in the ring with him. Golovkin returns to action this coming Saturday night in Monaco, against Osumanu Adama (22-3, 16KOs).

Ward takes issue with Golovkin's promoted reputation of "willing to fight anyone" - when his team is not willing to match them any time soon. Additionally, Ward is confused by recent quote where Golovkin's promoter claimed their fighter was the bigger star.

"I don't really know how to feel about that fight. From a business standpoint of course [we can do it]. If he continues to win, and if I continue to win - a year from now it's a bigger fight. I have no problem with that, but what I do have a problem with is when you build your reputation as being this fearless guy from 160 to 175 - but then backtrack and say 'oh it's about the business and we're going to wait.' I just don't understand that, it doesn't add up. And his promoter saying that he's a bigger star...I'm just scratching my head about that stuff. It is what it is. I'm not chasing anybody. I think I've earned the right to fight the biggest and the best fights and that's what we're in the process of doing," Ward told BoxingScene.com.

terrible match up for ggg. i honestly don't think ward has even shown his full potential yet. ward has anoither gear he can go into and i don't think anyone outside of a kovalev at 175 could be a challenge to him. 168 guys can consider it a moral victory if they win a round and any 160lb champ will be manhandled until the ref stops it

1/27/14 9:26 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
894 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GGG does need to worry about some contenders at MW he can fight.

1/27/14 9:48 PM
xsrg95
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mouth - 

They are saying Maidana will not be ready for April.

they should make Broner vs Ghost Guerrero on Showtime main event or Mayweather co-main event PPV. both coming off a lose and looking to prove themselves. Maidana has nothing left to prove besides Knocking Out broner in the rematch.
1/27/14 10:35 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
894 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Associations of Ringside Physicians speak out against TUE's

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=74091#ixzz2rf1dsbBF

By Jake Donovan

A major step was taken towards drug reform in the boxing industry on Monday afternoon, when The Association of Ringside Physicians (ARP) decided to tighten up standards on seeking exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT).

Their new limit: next to zero.

The ARP -- whose headquarters are in Chicago -- have agreed that there is no place in the sport for therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for testosterone, save for extreme circumstances. The discoveries made thus far as the practice has become frighteningly more common as time goes on is that there have been few cases where an exemption was necessary, but rather means to find a loophole around already liberal standards in place.

A statement was released by the organization earlier Monday.

“The Association of Ringside Physicians (ARP), an international, non-profit organization dedicated to the health and safety of the boxer and mixed martial arts athlete, has released a consensus statement on therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone replace therapy in professional combat sport athletes, as follows:

“The incidence of hypogonadism requiring the use of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in professional athletes is extraordinarily rare. Accordingly, the use of an anabolic steroid such as testosterone in a professional boxer or mixed martial artist is rarely justified.

“Steroid use of any type, including unmerited testosterone, significantly increases the safety and health risk to combat sports athletes and their opponents. TRT in a combat sports athlete may also create an unfair advantage contradictory to the integrity of sport.

“Consequently, the Association of Ringside Physicians supports the general elimination of therapeutic use exemptions (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy.”

An unfortunate common denominator for therapeutic use exemption has been from those previously exposed to anabolic adrogenic steroid.

A study conducted in 2012 by American Urological Association Education and Research, Inc. analyzed the cases of more than 6,000 patients who sought treatment for hypogonadasim. While less than 2% of the patients studied were diagnosed with profound hypogonadism, exposure to anabolic steroids was discovered among 43% of those cases.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) created waves more than two years ago when they adopted the practice of granting exemptions on a case-by-case basis. To date, only six athletes have been granted such an exemption, all of whom are MMA participants and none of whom have ever previously tested positive for banned substances.

The issue became a hot topic when another MMA fighter, Vitor Belfort announced his intention to seek a TUE for medically required testosterone treatment. The fighter will plan to proceed with such treatments in advance of his potential showdown with Chris Weidman, targeted for later this year.

Whether or not the NSAC will grant him an exemption remains to be seen. Doing so would actually create a precedent, since Belfort has previously failed a drug test, back in 2006. In a recent interview with MMA Junkie, NSAC chairperson Francisco Aguilar confirmed the likelihood of granting the fighter a license, but that the TUE request created a slippery slope, given Belfort’s past.

The issue is momentarily less common in boxing, though without more stringent testing can easily become a matter that spirals out of control.

Last year, lightweight prospect Mickey Bey was fined and suspended due to levels of testosterone more than five times the 6:1 allowable limit in Nevada. The boxer successfully plead his innocence, providing medical documentation of his request for the medical staff by whom he was treated to not inject him with anything containing banned substances.

The biggest boxing headline grabber in regards to synthetic testosterone came two years ago, when Lamont Peterson was popped during random drug testing conducted by Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (VADA), currently the only organization who uses Carbon Isotope Ratio (CIR) for all testing. Other organizations and commissions use CIR only when testosterone levels exceed the allowable amount; the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) limit is 4:1, while commissions such as NSAC – viewed by most as the standard-bearer for all matters boxing related in the United States – allows up to 6:1, despite recent consideration to adopt WADA standards.

Decisions such as the one handed down by the ARP on Monday should go a long way towards causing commissions nationwide to reexamine their own standards (or lack thereof) currently in place.

1/27/14 10:36 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Mayorga-Chudinov Back in Play, Don King Enters Fold

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=74085#ixzz2rf1q85Sw

World renowned boxing promoter Don King is thrilled to welcome back his former three time world champion Ricardo “El Matador” Mayorga.    Rarely do boxers love to fight the way Ricardo Mayorga does.  He always fought with the reckless abandon and fearlessness of a teenager in a street brawl.  Mayorga last fought in March 2011 against Miguel Cotto in Las Vegas, Nevada and immediately announced his retirement from the sport.  However, growing up in the rough streets of Managua, Nicaragua, instilled a fire in him that still burns to this day and he recently announced that he has decided to return to boxing.  With Don King as his exclusive promoter, Mayorga is set on becoming world champion once again.

Who can forget Mayorga’s comments after his shocking 3rd round KO of the late Vernon “The Viper” Forrest to become WBC Welterweight Champion in 2003.  The first thing Mayorga said after winning his first title was that he needs a cigarette and a beer!

King is looking forward to meeting with Mayorga in the next few weeks to plan out the return of “El Matador”.

King has already met with his partner Vlad Hrunov to negotiate Mayorga’s fight with Dmitry Chudinov in Russia. “I can’t wait to get the Matador back in action” said King “I love Ricardo Mayorga and I am very happy to see him come out of retirement. I believe he can become the people’s champion again….” “He is one of the most promotable fighters in the world and I look forward with great anticipation on promoting him and the great people of Nicaragua.”

“Viva Nicaragua!!”

1/28/14 12:46 PM
The Mouth

Fuck Don King.

1/28/14 1:48 PM
MMA Playwright
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mouth - 

Fuck Don King.

I think that needs to be said every now and then. Voted up.
1/28/14 8:06 PM
The Mouth

MMA Playwright -
The Mouth - 

Fuck Don King.

I think that needs to be said every now and then. Voted up.
Lmao.

Legit laughing out loud. Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 8:34 PM
Lick Boners

xsrg95 - 
The Mouth - 

They are saying Maidana will not be ready for April.

they should make Broner vs Ghost Guerrero on Showtime main event or Mayweather co-main event PPV. both coming off a lose and looking to prove themselves. Maidana has nothing left to prove besides Knocking Out broner in the rematch.

As much as I hate Broner, he fought a damn gutsy fight and I think it'll be really hard for Maidana to reproduce that performance. Broner had the rematch option so there's no saying no.
1/28/14 9:41 PM
Thuglife13
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My God if Mayorga is gonna come back then please, pretty please, Felix Trinidad come back!
1/28/14 10:22 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's going on with Guerrero?
Does 1 time have a fight? Phone Post 3.0
1/28/14 11:07 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Cotto-Martinez looks like a done deal.

1/28/14 11:08 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Garcia vs Herrera in a triple header.

http://fighthype.com/news/article16068.html

1/28/14 11:14 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP -

Nice card, same night as UFC 172 Phone Post 3.0
1/29/14 12:00 AM
Tebow For President
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - 

Another awesome showtime triple header.

Gamboa-Garcia and Stevenson-Kovalev negotiations are heating up too. This is going to be a good year I can feel it.
1/29/14 11:56 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

was about to post that, thanks Tebow.

1/29/14 4:00 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

yes, both are taking their mandatories I believe.

Abraham :( lol, is facing Stieglitz March 1st in their rubber match.

Feb is a little slow for Boxing, this weekend GGG is fighting a can.

1/29/14 4:30 PM
zackthewop
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tebow For President -
Barry_BondsMVP - 

Another awesome showtime triple header.

Gamboa-Garcia and Stevenson-Kovalev negotiations are heating up too. This is going to be a good year I can feel it.
Gamboa vs garcia will be an amazing fight.

I'd take gamboa but wouldn't be surprised if garcia ko'd him. Phone Post 3.0
1/29/14 6:30 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Mares Talks Gonzalez Rematch, Potential Surprise

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=74138#ixzz2rpirOVKh

By Luis Sandoval

An anticipated rematch between Abner Mares and Jhonny Gonzalez which was set for February was cancelled due to an injury sustained by Mares during training. Mares had a rib injury that forced him to withdraw from the fight and now a new date is being discussed.

BoxingScene caught up with Mares as he was in attendance at the Saul Alvarez-Alfredo Angulo press conference in Los Angeles and asked how he’s feeling after the injury and the status of the rematch.

“The fight right now is postponed. I got hurt during sparring; during my second week of sparring actually. In Mexico City, I was out there training and you know, I wasn’t going to give any advantages. I had to take 2 weeks off from training and I wasn’t going to do that and still fight. I’m definitely not going in disadvantaged for this fight. If I’m going in there and I’m going to beat Johnny Gonzalez, I have to be at 100%” Mares told BoxingScene.

A fighter getting injured and sidelined is nothing new as we see it happen often. Some injuries take longer to recover from but Mares is already feeling much better and despite suffering a setback, he wants to step right back in with Gonzalez and forego any interim fights. Even going further, Mares informs he has been offered other fights and has a surprise in store for us.

“I want to go in straight man. You know me, I’ve been known for not taking an easy fight in I don’t know how long. This is going to be it. I’m going to fight Jhonny [Gonzalez] and hey, I’m getting other fights offered to me that I might take as well. So it’s up in the air right now. You guys might be surprised who I end up choosing and it’ll be interesting” informed Mares.

Showtime Sports Executive Vice President Stephen Espinoza and Golden Boy Promotions are trying to find a new date for this fight. Mares is hopeful they can find a date in April or if not, he’d love to be part of Mayweather’s undercard in May.

“I’m feeling great so far. I mean it’s been 3 weeks, going on a month already since it happened. And like I told you guys, it was not a fracture; it was a bruised rib. It was just a punch and I had to take time off and it’s got better. I mean from 1 to 100, I feel like I’m at a 98 right now to be honest. I’m back in training and hopefully we can get April if not, the Mayweather undercard would be great”.

1/29/14 9:42 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

HBO Nearly Doubles Showtime In Jan. 25 Boxing Ratings

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=74140#ixzz2rqVDidIa

By Jake Donovan

Showtime’s first entry of its 2014 boxing season also served as the first head-to-head clash with rival HBO, as both networks offered championship boxing on its airwaves. The end result was further proof that dueling broadcasts continue to do more harm than good for both networks.

The first conflict of 2014 fittingly came with siginficant shows offered by Top Rank (HBO) and Golden Boy Promotions (Showtime). HBO won the head-to-head battle by nearly a two-to-one margin, though neither network will be caught banging their proverbial chests over the latest numbers.

Following a monstrous year in 2013 that saw Showtime ratings rise by more than 60%, its January 25 doubleheader from Washington D.C. averaged just 390,000 viewers over the course of the evening.

The rating was nearly doubled by HBO’s own doubleheader from New York City, which delivered an average total audience of 777,000 viewers for its 2014 Boxing After Darkpremiere. The tally comes 11% below the series’ 2013 overall average.

Showtime’s offering saw Lamont Peterson score a decisive 12-round points win over Dierry Jean to extend a controversial title reign in the 140 lb. division. The win was Peterson’s first in nearly a year, having suffered a third round knockout at the hands of Lucas Matthysse last May. The bout took place at a catchweight of 141 lb., one pound above the super lightweight limit which allowed the D.C. native to extend his title reign even with the loss.

His bounce back performance versus Jean pulled in an average of 402,000 viewers, the lowest rated bout of either broadcast and actually performing far lower than its own supporting bout.

In the televised co-feature from D.C., Jermell Charlo moved one step closer to contention in the 154 lb. division with a wide points win over Gabriel Rosado, who is now winless in his last four bouts. Their bout averaged 472,000 viewers, with the 10-round bout beginning 45 minutes before HBO’s boxing telecast went live.

HBO saw the return of a favorite son as well as the introduction of a heavyweight on the rise in its twinbill. Unbeaten Mikey Garcia returned to New York one year and one week following his first title win, when he bested Orlando Salido to win the featherweight title.

His January 25 visit to the frigid city saw the 25-year old return as a defending 130 lb. titlist, scoring a wide 12-round points win over Juan Carlos Burgos atop a show that landed square in the middle of Super Bowl coverage in the New York/New Jersey area. The bout averaged 829,000 viewers on the night, peaking at 911,000 viewers, good for the best total of all four major televised bouts between the two shows.

The televised co-feature was by far the most impressive showing among either network, which means a rare treat from the heavyweight division. Bryant Jennings put behind a forgettable 2013 campaign which only saw one fight and win, and a lot of time on the sidelines while changing promoters. Returning to his 2012 form, the Philly native scoring a rousing 10 th round knockout of Artur Szpilka in a battle of unbeaten heavyweights.

The heavyweight bout averaged 811,000 viewers over the course of the 10-round affair, peaking at 907,000 viewers, nearly doubling Showtime’s main event.

All of the aforementioned is compiled from Nielsen Media Research .

Both networks go virtually dark for the month of February in terms of their major series. Showtime Championship Boxing isn’t set to return until March 15, with its schedule affected by the postponement of a planned February 15 rematch between featherweights Jhonny Gonzalez and Abner Mares. Their first fight last August saw Gonzalez score a shocking 1 stround knockout in one of the biggest upsets of 2013.

HBO’s World Championship Boxing series returns March 1, with a televised doubleheader live from San Antonio. Headlining the show is one of the network’s biggest draws, as Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. faces Bryan Vera in a rematch to their controversial bout last September. Chavez Jr.—who came in heavy enough to have to request a compromised weight limit—scored a widely disputed 10-round decision over Vera, in a fight that served as the second highest rated cable televised boxing event of the year.

In the televised co-feature, two-time Olympic Gold medalist Vasyl Lomachenko faces featherweight titlist Orlando Salido. A win would earn Lomachenko (1-0, 1KO) the distinction of claiming a major title in just his second pro fight, quicker than anyone else in boxing history.

The lone offerings from either network between now and then will come in second-tier series; Showtime has a ShoBox event planned for February 2, while HBO’s sister network HBO2 will pick up a same-day tape delay feed of the February 22 card in Macau, headlined by Miguel Vazquez in a lightweight title defense versus unbeaten mandatory challenger Denis Shafikov.

1/29/14 9:52 PM
PoundforPound
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HBO won but their numbers are pretty low. Probably not a good idea for the networks to go head to head with each other.

Especially with no boxing scheduled for the month of February....better to move to a separate date and give fans more boxing to look forward to while getting higher ratings.
1/30/14 12:39 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - 

HBO Nearly Doubles Showtime In Jan. 25 Boxing Ratings

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=74140#ixzz2rqVDidIa

By Jake Donovan

Showtime’s first entry of its 2014 boxing season also served as the first head-to-head clash with rival HBO, as both networks offered championship boxing on its airwaves. The end result was further proof that dueling broadcasts continue to do more harm than good for both networks.

The first conflict of 2014 fittingly came with siginficant shows offered by Top Rank (HBO) and Golden Boy Promotions (Showtime). HBO won the head-to-head battle by nearly a two-to-one margin, though neither network will be caught banging their proverbial chests over the latest numbers.

Following a monstrous year in 2013 that saw Showtime ratings rise by more than 60%, its January 25 doubleheader from Washington D.C. averaged just 390,000 viewers over the course of the evening.

The rating was nearly doubled by HBO’s own doubleheader from New York City, which delivered an average total audience of 777,000 viewers for its 2014 Boxing After Darkpremiere. The tally comes 11% below the series’ 2013 overall average.

Showtime’s offering saw Lamont Peterson score a decisive 12-round points win over Dierry Jean to extend a controversial title reign in the 140 lb. division. The win was Peterson’s first in nearly a year, having suffered a third round knockout at the hands of Lucas Matthysse last May. The bout took place at a catchweight of 141 lb., one pound above the super lightweight limit which allowed the D.C. native to extend his title reign even with the loss.

His bounce back performance versus Jean pulled in an average of 402,000 viewers, the lowest rated bout of either broadcast and actually performing far lower than its own supporting bout.

In the televised co-feature from D.C., Jermell Charlo moved one step closer to contention in the 154 lb. division with a wide points win over Gabriel Rosado, who is now winless in his last four bouts. Their bout averaged 472,000 viewers, with the 10-round bout beginning 45 minutes before HBO’s boxing telecast went live.

HBO saw the return of a favorite son as well as the introduction of a heavyweight on the rise in its twinbill. Unbeaten Mikey Garcia returned to New York one year and one week following his first title win, when he bested Orlando Salido to win the featherweight title.

His January 25 visit to the frigid city saw the 25-year old return as a defending 130 lb. titlist, scoring a wide 12-round points win over Juan Carlos Burgos atop a show that landed square in the middle of Super Bowl coverage in the New York/New Jersey area. The bout averaged 829,000 viewers on the night, peaking at 911,000 viewers, good for the best total of all four major televised bouts between the two shows.

The televised co-feature was by far the most impressive showing among either network, which means a rare treat from the heavyweight division. Bryant Jennings put behind a forgettable 2013 campaign which only saw one fight and win, and a lot of time on the sidelines while changing promoters. Returning to his 2012 form, the Philly native scoring a rousing 10 th round knockout of Artur Szpilka in a battle of unbeaten heavyweights.

The heavyweight bout averaged 811,000 viewers over the course of the 10-round affair, peaking at 907,000 viewers, nearly doubling Showtime’s main event.

All of the aforementioned is compiled from Nielsen Media Research .

Both networks go virtually dark for the month of February in terms of their major series. Showtime Championship Boxing isn’t set to return until March 15, with its schedule affected by the postponement of a planned February 15 rematch between featherweights Jhonny Gonzalez and Abner Mares. Their first fight last August saw Gonzalez score a shocking 1 stround knockout in one of the biggest upsets of 2013.

HBO’s World Championship Boxing series returns March 1, with a televised doubleheader live from San Antonio. Headlining the show is one of the network’s biggest draws, as Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. faces Bryan Vera in a rematch to their controversial bout last September. Chavez Jr.—who came in heavy enough to have to request a compromised weight limit—scored a widely disputed 10-round decision over Vera, in a fight that served as the second highest rated cable televised boxing event of the year.

In the televised co-feature, two-time Olympic Gold medalist Vasyl Lomachenko faces featherweight titlist Orlando Salido. A win would earn Lomachenko (1-0, 1KO) the distinction of claiming a major title in just his second pro fight, quicker than anyone else in boxing history.

The lone offerings from either network between now and then will come in second-tier series; Showtime has a ShoBox event planned for February 2, while HBO’s sister network HBO2 will pick up a same-day tape delay feed of the February 22 card in Macau, headlined by Miguel Vazquez in a lightweight title defense versus unbeaten mandatory challenger Denis Shafikov.

If you press CTRL + V (or Command + V on Mac) the format won't come out all fucked up.

1/30/14 12:43 AM
chadk
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will Lomanchenko make history? Or, will he go the route of Pete Rademacher? Phone Post 3.0
1/30/14 1:40 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

chadk - Will Lomanchenko make history? Or, will he go the route of Pete Rademacher? Phone Post 3.0
A win would certainly be the fastest legit title win in history no? Why isn't zou jumping isn't deep waters like this? Flyweight is much thinner right? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.