UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/14/14 3:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KFP49
1262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/14/14 3:45 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
838 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
4/14/14 10:07 AM
-D0DG3R D0GG13-
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LMFAO^^^^ Phone Post 3.0
4/15/14 10:22 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
838 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WBO super featherweight champion Mikey Garcia has filed a lawsuit against his own promotional company, Top Rank. According to court documents obtained by Jeandra LeBeauf of BadCulture.net, Garcia alleges that Top Rank attempted to "exploit, own and permanently control" his boxing career and has consistently violated the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act. The lawsuit states that Top Rank insisted that Garcia sign a contract that gave the company "the ability to extend the agreement indefinitely, essentially rendering the contracting fighter an indentured servant of Top Rank."

Garcia is looking to break free of Top Rank by seeking a declaration from the court which states that he "has no further obligations" and "is free to schedule future fights without any further interference from Top Rank." Evidently, Garcia initially signed a 5-year "Promotional Rights Agreement" with Top Rank on April 13, 2006. On February 27, 2009, Top Rank entered into a second 5-year "Promotional Rights Agreement" with Garcia prior to the original agreement ending, thus extending his commitment to the company to February 27, 2014 without first giving him the opportunity to negotiate a new contract with any promoter. Essentially, Garcia is saying that the two contracts overlapping each other put him into a 8-year long-term deal, which violates the Boxing Reform Act.

There are several other violations that the lawsuit cites, including alleging that Top Rank improperly acted as Garcia's manager by "arranging Garcia's bouts," "selecting 'in its discretion' the date of each bout", "selecting 'in its discretion' the site of each bout", "determining the financial arrangements of Garcia's bouts", "receiving or being entitled to receive more than ten (10%) percent of Garcia's gross purse as a professional boxer", and "selecting Garcia's opponents."
4/15/14 10:27 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
531 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HBO loses another star. I can see the Watson twins in Mikey's corner already Phone Post 3.0
4/15/14 10:50 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

lol Haymon is building quite the stable
4/16/14 1:23 AM
allforroy
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I hope that doesn't keep him out for too long. Only so many guys with his ability and youth out there. Phone Post 3.0
4/16/14 2:14 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

what's Arum going to do when Manny retires?
4/16/14 2:25 AM
KFP49
1262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - what's Arum going to do when Manny retires?

That old fuck should be the one retiring, but we're not that lucky.
4/16/14 2:40 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

lol that is true, him and King will never go away.

KFP give me a Gif of Arum and King as the Crypt Keeper haha
4/16/14 3:18 AM
KFP49

^ lol. Now that's a project. I may have to work on that someday though.
4/16/14 4:30 AM
Fedoral Crime
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the amount of pro boxers in his family you'd think they would've been able to see that Mikey was signing a dodgy contract.

It sounds like Al Haymon and Richard Schaefer found a loophole in his contract. Good for Mikey, the only fight that could've been made was against Gamboa and TR/HBO still fucked it up.

Would love to see Mikey vs Broner at 140lbs. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon. Phone Post 3.0
4/16/14 2:13 PM
TzTinkle
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://deadspin.com/why-i-fixed-fights-1535114232

I love a good boxing tale, and this is one of the best I've read.
4/16/14 2:42 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

thanks Tz
4/16/14 3:09 PM
KFP49

Barry_BondsMVP - lol that is true, him and King will never go away.

KFP give me a Gif of Arum and King as the Crypt Keeper haha

No time for a gif, but here's this lol.

4/16/14 3:22 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHA
4/16/14 3:50 PM
chadk
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice commentary from Dougie Fischer on Pacquiao:

"What makes Manny special to me is the way he’s rebounded from losses. After losing the WBC flyweight title to Medgoen Singsurat (on the scales before getting stopped in the ring), Pacquiao went unbeaten in his next 15 bouts, winning a 122-pound title from the formidable Lehlo Ledwaba, defending that IBF strap against tough veterans Agapito Sanchez and Jorge Julio, and beating Marco Antonio Barrera for THE RING (and lineal) featherweight championship.

Pacquiao took on Marquez immediately after beating Barrera, who was rated in everyone’s pound-for-pound top 3 when they fought. I’ll always respect him for having the balls to do this. Marquez was at his best at featherweight and he had been avoided by all the stars of the division (Naseem Hamed, Barrera and Erik Morales). Whether you think he won the fight, or should have lost to Marquez, or if you think the draw was fair (as I do), you have to give Pacquiao props for taking on Barrera (57-3 at the time) and Marquez in back-to-back bouts if you have any respect or understanding of the sport.

One fight after the Marquez draw, Pacquiao took on Morales at 130 pounds and lost a close decision in a classic fight. What does Pac do after that setback? He runs off 15 consecutive wins that include two stoppages of Morales, rematch decisions over Barrera and Marquez, titles at 130, 135, 140 (if you count THE RING title that Ricky Hatton held – and you should) and 147, plus knockouts of Oscar De La Hoya, Hatton and Miguel Cotto. That’s a badass streak. I don’t even have to mention the decisions over top-five contender Joshua Clottey, future hall of famer Shane Mosley, and Margarito (who probably had 20 pounds on Pac on fight night).

Pacquiao is definitely one of the most impressive competitors that I’ve had the privilege to cover."
4/16/14 4:11 PM
tbi0904
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TzTinkle - http://deadspin.com/why-i-fixed-fights-1535114232

Great story.
4/16/14 4:44 PM
PoundforPound
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arum is a conniving scum bag but, being a Harvard lawyer, his contracts are usually airtight.

I hope Mikey knows what he's doing otherwise he is going to be on the shelf for a long time and all for nothing.
4/16/14 4:55 PM
chadk
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tbi0904 - 
TzTinkle - http://deadspin.com/why-i-fixed-fights-1535114232

Great story.

I saw that on my buddy's page earlier. I remember when boxing scribes were calling for something to be done to get Leon Spinks out of boxing permanently. Their concerns were not only for his health but because he was seriously looking like he was going to become the first Heavyweight Champion in history to retire with a losing record and that would be horrible for boxing as a whole.
4/17/14 3:26 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Hopkins: I Wanted Kovalev, Smart Move To Pick Cleverly

Boxing's oldest ever world champion Bernard Hopkins believes he will once again make history as he looks to unify the light-heavyweight division this weekend.

Hopkins has already made a profound statement in boxing, reigning as one of the world's top middleweights for over a decade, before moving up the weight classes to finally become the fight game's oldest champion.

Having initially dethroned George Foreman of that title back in 2011, when he captured the WBC and IBO light-heavyweight belts at the age of 46 against Jean Pascal, the Philadelphian recently broke his own record when he beat Tavoris Cloud at 48 to win the IBF crown.

Now though, the boxing icon faces another momentous task as he looks to unify the 175-pound division when he faces off against WBA Super champion Beibut Shumenov on Saturday, with Hopkins (54-6-2 32KOs) urging fans to enjoy him while he is still around.

"To be 49-years-old, approaching 50, and knocking on the door of being a senior citizen - it's a profound statement of my dedication," said Hopkins.

"It's sweeter now to be here with everybody. Everything I do is history. If you had one more chance to see something that you loved before you never see it again - here I am. You'll have a chance to see history. You can tell your grandkids about what you saw."

The skilled veteran is determined to remain at the top and fighting the best, despite the challenges a battle with Shumenov presents.

"Name another athlete in this country that is doing it at this age and winning, not just competing, but fighting the top fighters in the world. This guy is no run-of-the-mill guy, he's a threat," Hopkins said.

"I'm not fighting a cream puff; this isn't a bum of the month club. I'm fighting real dudes. These guys are hardcore, hungry and top contenders.

"Shumenov wants to make a name, like everyone else. What better place to make a name than against me?"

The light-heavyweight division is packed with some of boxing's leading names, including knockout artists Adonis Stevenson and Sergey Kovalev.

Both hold the other recognised world titles in the division, with the prospect of capturing all the belts and becoming only the second fighter since Evander Holyfield to unify two separate divisions with every championship an alluring one for the ageless Hopkins.

"It [prospect of unifying the division] gets me a lot more energised than my last two fights but those last two fights played a role to get energised," he said.

"To me, this isn't the climax, this is the pre-climax and as far as I'm concerned it's where I need to be and where I had to go through to get here in the last year or two, to be patient, to fight my mandatory and to show people.

"I wanted it to be Kovalev but they chose to fight [Nathan] Cleverly, smart move, good management. Now, we're here, and I'm looking to show the world that I might be the second or the first boxer in any division that became undisputed in two weight classes in modern times.

"I love history and I love trying to break records that have been set for multiple years because I believe I have a history of doing that, and this is energising too."

The American's disciplined lifestyle is the driving force behind his success that is seeing him not only remain competitive in his twilight years but still held in high regard as one of boxing's truly elite fighters.

"Taking the test without studying is like taking a fight without being in the gym. The gym is studying. The test is April 19," said Hopkins.

"You can put the cart in front of the horse if you're a fool and I think people would agree I'm no fool.

"I'm a guy that loves the craft and respects the craft. You can love something, but it doesn't mean you respect it. Love is the emotional part - respect is the dedication and hard work. That attitude and that demeanour is always going to be there. That's just who I am."

Hopkins vs. Shumenov is live and exclusive on BoxNation (Sky 437/490HD & Virgin 546) this Saturday night.
4/17/14 3:28 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Maidana, Garcia Respond to Bob Arum’s Criticism

by David P. Greisman

Bob Arum of Top Rank hasn’t shied away from criticizing the May 3 pay-per-view bout between Floyd Mayweather and Marcos Maidana that is being put on by his company’s promotional rival, Golden Boy Promotions.

Arum has noted the odds and called it a noncompetitive matchup. On a media conference call on April 16, Maidana and his trainer, Robert Garcia, responded to Arum’s criticism.

“It doesn’t bother me at all,” Maidana said, with Garcia translating. “All I got to say [is] for people to come and order the fight, because they’re going to enjoy a good fight. They’re going to see me beat Floyd Mayweather.”

Said Garcia: “He [Bob Arum] knows that I’ve trained a lot of fighters under his banner, and a lot of times I’ve been the underdog on those fights, from Steven Luevano to Brian Viloria when he fought ‘Archie’ Solis. Brandon Rios himself, Bob Arum thought [Anthony] Peterson was going to dominate Brandon, and we upset the whole HBO and people thinking that Peterson was their next star. We’ve been in it before. I think Bob should know better than that. He knows that I’m training ‘Chino’ Maidana, and he knows what I can do.”

Garcia chalked it up to Arum speaking out of the heated discourse between Top Rank and Golden Boy, and perhaps to try to have an effect on the pay-per-view’s buy rate.
4/17/14 3:30 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Chavez Jr. Says Gennady Golovkin Negotiations Back On

By Salvador Rodriguez

Last week, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. rejected a proposal to fight IBO/WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, at 168, on July 19 at the Forum in Inglewood, California - because Chavez wasn't happy with a signing a contract extension with Top Rank. The Mexican star was not satisfied with portions of the extension, including his guaranteed minumem per fight.

But now a new offer has been presented, which better suits what Chavez is looking for.

"We have to look at everything, but things are looking good. Nothing is going to get closed until next week because right now everyone is on vacation," Chavez said.
4/17/14 4:36 PM
Wasa-B
365 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chadk - Nice commentary from Dougie Fischer on Pacquiao:

"What makes Manny special to me is the way he’s rebounded from losses. After losing the WBC flyweight title to Medgoen Singsurat (on the scales before getting stopped in the ring), Pacquiao went unbeaten in his next 15 bouts, winning a 122-pound title from the formidable Lehlo Ledwaba, defending that IBF strap against tough veterans Agapito Sanchez and Jorge Julio, and beating Marco Antonio Barrera for THE RING (and lineal) featherweight championship.

Pacquiao took on Marquez immediately after beating Barrera, who was rated in everyone’s pound-for-pound top 3 when they fought. I’ll always respect him for having the balls to do this. Marquez was at his best at featherweight and he had been avoided by all the stars of the division (Naseem Hamed, Barrera and Erik Morales). Whether you think he won the fight, or should have lost to Marquez, or if you think the draw was fair (as I do), you have to give Pacquiao props for taking on Barrera (57-3 at the time) and Marquez in back-to-back bouts if you have any respect or understanding of the sport.

One fight after the Marquez draw, Pacquiao took on Morales at 130 pounds and lost a close decision in a classic fight. What does Pac do after that setback? He runs off 15 consecutive wins that include two stoppages of Morales, rematch decisions over Barrera and Marquez, titles at 130, 135, 140 (if you count THE RING title that Ricky Hatton held – and you should) and 147, plus knockouts of Oscar De La Hoya, Hatton and Miguel Cotto. That’s a badass streak. I don’t even have to mention the decisions over top-five contender Joshua Clottey, future hall of famer Shane Mosley, and Margarito (who probably had 20 pounds on Pac on fight night).

Pacquiao is definitely one of the most impressive competitors that I’ve had the privilege to cover."

yeah, that run, even with the debatable JMM bouts, as if any boxer/fighter never has any close decisions, was pretty dam remarkable and exciting. Esp going up in weight time and time again and still kicking the bigger guys' asses.

Whats more remarkable to me and perhaps one of the undermentioned strengths of Pac is how he does not seem to wilt under pressure. He is the only fighter in boxing or MMA to still retain that country boy smile in walking out to the ring and he carries a 100 million plus countrymen on his shoulders pretty much alone in many ways.
4/17/14 4:41 PM
Wasa-B
365 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gonna try and watch Pac/JMM 1-3 this weekend again and also JMM/Floyd, JMM/Bradley.

I guess Pac/JMM, JMM/Bradley, Pac/Bradley are great examples of styles making fights?

I know ive asked you guys before and I still think Floyd would probably dominate the Pac of now but even though Floyd and JMM are counter fighters, they arent exactly the same type of counter fighter either right?

From the highlights ive seen of JMM/Bradley, JMM looked quite different to how he fought Pac. I know Pac is a southpaw and all but still looked quite different.

Bonds, you mentioned above that JMM's success with Pac seemed to revolve around JMM turning Pac to his right and taking away his right hook? I need to watch for that again....

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.