UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

4/18/14 2:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Barry_BondsMVP
879 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Golovkin 7/19 on HBO If Chavez PPV Falls Through?

By Ryan Maquiñana

Gennady Golovkin vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. would be a prime candidate for 2014 Fight of the Year, but if the much-anticipated super middleweight showdown cannot be finalized, there might be a backup plan.

Abel Sanchez, who trains Golovkin, told BoxingScene.com Wednesday that if a deal can’t be made for Golovkin-Chavez on July 19 at the Forum in Inglewood, Calif., then the middleweight titleholder would stay at 160 pounds and face someone else on the same date in New York City.

In addition, Sanchez was informed such a bout would move from HBO Pay-Per-View to regular HBO instead. The trainer offered an update on his fighter, who has been mourning the loss of his father in his native Kazakhstan.

“He’s supposed to come back in May,” Sanchez said. “As far as who he would fight on July 19 if it’s not Chavez, we haven’t really talked about that yet. Right now a couple of minor things need to be negotiated, but I talked to (ZanFer executive) Sean (Gibbons), and I think the Chavez fight is close to done.”

When asked about the potential New York backup plan for Golovkin, HBO Sports president Ken Hershman would not comment, but did touch on his desire to get the Chavez clash completed.

“If we can get that fight done, it would be great,” Hershman said.

Sanchez believes his budding superstar can defeat Chavez within the distance, but not in the same manner that Golovkin has obliterated foes by sending them to the canvas.

“If Gennady stops him, he might be able to do it in the later rounds,” Sanchez said. “I think it will come by knocking him down, though, because Chavez has such a good chin, but I think he can do it with a body shot.”
4/18/14 2:31 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
879 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HBO Sports Boss Would Love Pacquiao-Marquez 5

By Mike Coppinger

With Manny Pacquiao's win over Tim Bradley out of the way, the stage seems set for a fifth bout with rival Juan Manuel Marquez. Marquez just needs to beat Mike Alvarado on May 17, and he'll be the mandatory challenger to Pacquiao, the WBO welterweight champion.

Would HBO be interested in going with yet another chapter of the Pacquiao-Marquez saga? HBO boss Ken Hershman likes the idea of it.

"I would love to see it," Hershman told BoxingScene.com on Wednesday. "Manny obviously would love to have it, but that's a long way off. It's not up to me, but I would love to see it."
4/18/14 2:33 AM
sparkuri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope Marquez wins.
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/14 2:33 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

@danrafaelespn
Follow
Chatter continues to intensify that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is in talks with Al Haymon. If he signs Chavez, there goes proposed GGG fight.
4/18/14 2:38 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

WASHINGTON, D.C. — WBO President Paco Valcarcel has scheduled a purse bid for Friday at noon at the Hilton Orlando-Altamonte Springs in Altamonte Springs, Fla., for the vacant featherweight title fight between Gary Russell Jr. and Vasyl Lomachenko.

On March 20, Valcarcel granted Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank — who promote Russell and Lomachenko, respectively — a period of 30 days to make the bout.

The subject of the purse bid was broached on Thursday with Golden Boy CEO, Richard Schaefer, who was overseeing the final press conference at Hamilton Live restaurant in Washington, D.C., in advance of Saturday's Bernard Hopkins-Beibut Shumenov card.

"What, you want me to tell you how much I'm going to bid? Well, we'll see. We'll see what's going to happen. Ask me tomorrow. I'm holding my cards," Schaefer told RingTV.com. "If you win a purse bid, then you do a fight. You work with the other guy. You win a purse bid, and that's all that it is."

As recently as Wednesday, however, Schaefer had stated his unwillingness to work with Top Rank CEO Bob Arum.

Schaefer reiterated that stance on Thursday.

"If people say 'That's not really right, that's arrogant of Schaefer,' well, then, you know what? Then, if that's arrogant, then I guess that it was arrogant of Arum as well, because he told Shane Mosley that 'I can get you a [Manny] Pacquiao fight, but you have to leave Golden Boy,'" said Schaefer.

"Then he told Juan Manuel Marquez, 'Well, you can get a Pacquiao fight, but you have to leave Golden Boy.' Guess what those two guys did? They left Golden Boy. So if it's good for him, then I didn't start that s–t. I didn't start that s–t, you know. Talking about blueprints, I'm just following the blueprint. What goes around comes around."

A 2008 U.S. Olympian [Russell qualified for the team but never competed due to missing the weigh-in] who is coming off a knockout of Miguel Tamayo in January, Russell (24-0, 14 KOs) was declared by Valcarcel in October to be the WBO’s mandatory challenger to face then-beltholder Orlando Salido.

The ruling did not preclude Salido from making a voluntary defense against Lomachenko, which he did on March 1. Lomachenko fell by split decision to Salido, who lost his WBO belt at the scales after failing to make the 126-pound weight limit.

As a result of Salido's failure, the title became vacant though Lomachenko was eligible to win it had he been victorious.

Lomachenko had said he wanted to make history by becoming a titleholder in what was billed as his second professional fight. According to Fight Fax Inc., Lomachenko is actually 7-1 because he was paid to take part in six "World Series of Boxing" contests.
4/18/14 3:13 AM
KFP49
795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really hope we see GGG vs Chavez, I think that would be a great match.

As for another Pac/Marquez fight, I wouldn't normally care to see a fifth fight between two fighters, but I really like watching these two guys go at it. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/14 6:19 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - @danrafaelespn
Follow
Chatter continues to intensify that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is in talks with Al Haymon. If he signs Chavez, there goes proposed GGG fight.
Good lord Phone Post 3.0
4/18/14 9:24 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Into 5 th round of Floyd/jmm, can't believe how easy Floyd is winning. Floyd does look considerably bigger. Also, again, I think Floyd beats pac handily now but this is quite a different style matchup than Floyd/PAC no?
4/18/14 9:25 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who is the closest thing to Floyd in mma? I guess in kb it would be Petrosyan?
4/19/14 5:30 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goddamn did anyone watch the 3 televised cards from Friday? Huge heavyweight tko at FNF, just watched this undercard ko by one of Ann Wolfe's fighters....an 18 year old. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/14 5:31 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

This weekend is the definition of stacked weekend of boxing.

Showtime, ESPN2, and FS1 boxing on Friday

Showtime Extreme prelims, All access, Showtime triple header.

Pacquiao/Bradley 2 replay Phone Post 3.0
4/19/14 6:19 AM
seeroo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KJ! -
Barry_BondsMVP - lol KJ, I'm not a good writer, but I have my podcast...I'm better at talking or doing interviews. What's your website I'd like to check it out?

letusbang.com its a startup but i want to mix mma and boxing and hot bishes who doesnt like hot bishes amirite

not this one in paticular but you know what im saying

Wow who is that? Phone Post 3.0
4/19/14 9:55 AM
KJ!
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

letusbang.com, Co-Founder
That's Miley Cyrus fren. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/14 10:07 AM
Tomato Can
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - This weekend is the definition of stacked weekend of boxing.

Showtime, ESPN2, and FS1 boxing on Friday

Showtime Extreme prelims, All access, Showtime triple header.

Pacquiao/Bradley 2 replay Phone Post 3.0

I dunno, I didn't even bother with any of the cards yesterday, it was all super low-level stuff.

Showtime card tonight is solid but not spectacular.

AWE TV is televising Quigg/Munyai from the UK this afternoon, which is pretty solid.
4/19/14 10:53 AM
MarkRobinson
1202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It feels wierd to realize that im not very interested in Pac/JMM 5.  

Im sure itll be a good fight but damn. 

4/19/14 2:10 PM
xsrg95
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarkRobinson - 

It feels wierd to realize that im not very interested in Pac/JMM 5.  

Im sure itll be a good fight but damn. 

4/19/14 2:12 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

lol at that poster
4/19/14 2:12 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Quigg
Porter
Hopkins

my picks
4/19/14 2:15 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article16701.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Update on Paul Williams
4/19/14 2:17 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlh89mzaqvo#t=39

Boner working the mitts
4/19/14 2:20 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article16691.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

more from Boner
4/19/14 2:21 PM
chadk
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JMM & Pac have never had a boring fight. They could fight annually and I'd watch it as long as they continue to be tough, compelling bouts. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/14 2:46 PM
KnockoutThoughts
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will watch, but not interested in yet another Pac vs Marquez fight.

Things I want to happen in 2014 in boxing:
1) Want Arum to die.
2) Paul Williams to walk
3) Pac vs Floyd to lay the debates to rest.
4) Maidana to shock the world on 5/3/14!
5) Stevenson vs Kovalev or GGG vs Ward Phone Post 3.0
4/19/14 3:03 PM
Oak the Toke
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - http://www.fighthype.com/news/article16701.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Update on Paul Williams
I miss Paul. I thought he still had some gas left in the tank despite that brutal face plant versus Sergio. Big names avoided him like the plague for the longest time. Wish he would've used that reach more in the ring but it just wasn't his style I guess. It will be nice to see him get out to Vegas to receive that award on May 2. Good for him. Always seemed like a nice dude. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/14 3:13 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

he's someone I believe when said he'll walk again one day.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.