UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/24/14 4:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Barry_BondsMVP
833 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Schaefer: Porter Has No Problem Fighting Kell Brook

By Rick Reeno

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer advised BoxingScene.com that IBF welterweight champion Shawn Porter (25-0-1, 14KOs) would have no problem facing mandatory challenger Kell Brook (33-0, 22KOs) - or any other opponent.

The IBF has ordered Porter to defend his title against Brook. The fight has to take place by July 19th.

Schaefer has yet to begin any real discussions about the fight, but he plans to do so in the immediate future when he speaks with Porter's adviser, Al Haymon. Porter returned to action last Saturday and knocked out former two-division champion Paulie Malignaggi in four rounds.

"I just received the letter [from the IBF] and I will discuss that [fight] with Al. I know when I was in Washington and I spoke to Shawn, and his father - and they have no problem fighting anybody. So if Kell Brook is going to be next, then Kell Brook is going to be next," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.
4/24/14 4:05 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
833 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ESPN Makes Heavy(weight) Investment in Boxing's Future

By Jake Donovan

Boxing on ESPN2 has already witnessed a considerable boost in viewer interest, thanks to the continued success of a pair of Boxcino tournaments showcasing the lightweight and middleweight divisions. Now its flagship network, ESPN is ready to try something a little different in its efforts to rally behind the sport.

The new idea is actually an old one, which is to throw some shine on the heavyweight division. Once boxing’s glamour division, the heavyweights have devolved into the running joke of the sport for the better part of the 21st century.

Still, when it came time for ESPN to showcase the sport on its main network, the old rule of thumb was brought to light – when there’s a good heavyweight fight to be made, you simply make it.

With that in mind, the network – already airing the May 10 showdown between Bermane Stiverne and Chris Arreola in primetime (8:00PM ET) live from the USC Galen Center in Los Angeles, California – has decided to pick up the rights to this weekend’s lineal world championship between reigning heavyweight king Wladimir Klitschko and challenger Alex Leapai.

The surprise move to pick up the rights to Klitschko’s ninth lineal title defense and 16th consecutive alphabet title defense live from Koenig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany (Saturday, ESPN, 5:00PM ET/2:00PM PT) means ESPN will have the entire heavyweight championship picture on display in the span of four Saturdays, after rarely if ever showcasing the sport outside of its long running Friday Night Fight series on ESPN2.

“I’m a big believer in that you can’t keep doing the same thing over and over and expect success,” claims Brian Kweder, ESPN Senior Director of Programming and Acquisitions, in explaining the decision to pick up the pair of heavyweight championship fights.

The addition of Klitschko’s title defense lends even greater relevance to the May 10 rematch between Stiverne and Arreola, which will be fought for a vacant heavyweight title. There are already a slew of storylines surrounding the fight – there has never been a heavyweight champion of either Haitian or Mexican descent, meaning a win by either fighter will produce a historic moment.

Arreola is fighting for revenge – having dropped a landslide decision to Stiverne last March – in addition to his second crack at a major title. The belt for which he contends is the same one he tried and failed to capture, suffering a 10th round stoppage loss to Vitali Klitschko in Sept. ’09.

Stiverne patiently waited for his own title shot at the elder Klitschko, but instead settled for a shot at the vacant title after the long-reigning titlist chose politics over boxing. Civil unrest in the Ukraine prompted Klitschko to take a stand – at one point running for office, but since dropping out of the race – which meant vacating the heavyweight title he carried for more than five years since returning to the ring in Oct. ’08.

Three weeks before the vacancy is filled (barring a draw or no-decision), his younger brother will attempt to extend his run as the best heavyweight on the planet. Given what’s at stake down the road, there stands a chance the boxing world could bear witness to something special this weekend.

“I'm looking forward to see Wladimir fight on ESPN,” insists Dan Goossen, who has faithfully served as Arreola’s promoter for the duration of the heavyweight’s pro career. :I truly believe with the emergence of Stiverne and Arreola fighting for his brother's title, I believe he's got a responsibility to his viewership. He will go out there and try to knock out Leapai.”

Klitschko (61-3, 51KO) has just one knockout in his past three fights, that coming in a 6th round stoppage of Francisco Pianeta last May. The feat is bookended by decision wins over previously unbeaten heavyweights Mariusz Wach in Nov. ‘12 and most recently Alexander Povetkin last October. The win over Povetkin was carried on HBO, but did more harm than good to his – and the division’s reputation – as the fight was a clinchfest with little offensive flow.

HBO and Showtime have been hesitant in general to showcase non-American heavyweights in recent years. HBO was once upon a time all the way behind the Klitschko brothers, but have since been selective in picking up the rights to their respective fights.

The fight with Povetkin marked the first time in more than two years that Klitschko was showcased on HBO. The previous occasion was his July ’11 bout with David Haye, a dud of a fight largely in part to Haye’s extreme reluctance to take any chances. The only chance American boxing fans have legally enjoyed Klitschko in real time came when premium network EPIX decided to pick up live feeds of overseas boxing action, including several heavyweight fights.

EPIX has since bowed out of the boxing business, whether permanently or just for the time being. That left the heavyweight division – and a good chunk of action in Europe- on the table for anyone stateside willing to make the investment.

There existed the opportunity for HBO or Showtime to pick up the rights to Stiverne-Arreola II. HBO aired the first fight, the last night the network showcased any fighter advised by Al Haymon (Arreola) or promoted by Golden Boy Promotions (Bernard Hopkins, who beat Tavoris Cloud in the main event of a split-site televised tripleheader).

Given HBO’s now frosty relationship with Haymon, there stood little chance of Arreola’s attempt at heavyweight history airing on the network. Showtime – who now enjoys a cozy and near-exclusive relationship with Haymon (and Golden Boy, who is not involved in either upcoming heavyweight title fight) – declined to pick up the fight, leaving an opportunity for the next willing buyer.

In came ESPN, though it doesn’t necessarily mean the network will now serve as heavyweight headquarters. It doesn’t mean it won’t happen, either; just that there was the opportunity to grab not one, but two intriguing heavyweight title fights it felt was worth showing on its airwaves.

“While I can't promise big fights like this in the future, it certainly opens the door for such opportunity,” Kweder points out. “There's a lot to offer the boxing world. Each network has its own priorities. ESPN stepped up and chose to showcase (the heavyweights) for these two shows.”

Now comes the time for the participants of these two fights to step up and give ESPN a reason to remain in the heavyweight business.
4/24/14 4:07 AM
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - Russell: Lomachenko will be a lot easier than people think

By Mike Coppinger

Gary Russell Jr. (24-0, 14KOs) is preparing his first world title opportunity, a bout against two-time Olympic gold medalist Vasyl Lomachenko (1-1, 1KO) for the vacant World Boxing Organization featherweight title on June 21 at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif.

It's a leap in competition for Russell, as it is for Lomanchenko, but Russell believes fans and critics alike will be quite surprised by the result of the bout.

"The fight is going to be easier than a lot of people think," Russell told BoxingScene.com in a phone interview Saturday. "I think (Lomachenko) brings a level of amateur pedigree to the ring, but he’s underestimating the importance of getting the rounds as a professional. I think we’ll take him into the later rounds and he’s going to have problems. If he gets reckless or careless, he might get knocked out."

Great fight!

Both will be big stars in a few years time.
4/24/14 4:11 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Tilla you're from the UK right? Who's a tougher fight for Santa Cruz iyo, Quigg or Frampton?

4/24/14 4:34 AM
Tilla

Barry_BondsMVP - Tilla you're from the UK right? Who's a tougher fight for Santa Cruz iyo, Quigg or Frampton?

First off, this thread is GOLD, Barry. I check it every day.

Great work, sir! ;-)

Now, to the question in hand...

Frampton, by a mile.

Quigg has great power but no amateur pedigree AND he comes from a Kickboxing background. Carl was a WORLD CLASS amateur.

Carl has beaten better opponents, too.

Quigg wants the fight, Carl wants the fight, but Quiggs coach doesn't want the fight.

I'd HAPPILY put money on Frampton within 6-8.

He is head and shoulders above Quigg. and it'd soon show.
4/24/14 5:31 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
531 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fantastic week boxing starting today

Thursday-At Rancho Mirage, Calif. (ESPN2/ESPN Deportes): Josesito Lopez vs. Aron Martinez

Friday-At Moscow: Denis Lebedev vs. Guillermo Jones, rematch, 12 rounds

Saturday 5pm Eastern Live-At Oberhausen, Germany (ESPN/ESPN Deportes): Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alex Leapai, 12 rounds, for Klitschko's WBO/IBF/WBA heavyweight title

Saturday-At Carson, Calif. (Showtime): Keith Thurman vs. Julio Diaz, 12 rounds, for Thurman's WBA interim welterweight title; Lucas Matthysse vs. John Molina, 12 rounds, junior welterweights; Omar Figueroa vs. Jerry Belmontes, 12 rounds, for Figueroa's WBC lightweight title

Prelims on Showtime Extreme at 7pm eastern Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 1:31 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

fantastic weekend of fights including MMA, thanks Gay.
4/24/14 1:33 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

thanks Tilla, appreciate your feedback and your continuous support on here.

I'm high on Frampton too, kid has power. I'd love to see Frampton/Santa Cruz, someone needs to give Rigondeaux a challenge lol.

what about the potential Kell Brook/Shaun Porter fight, and Groves/Froch II?
4/24/14 1:34 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Poor Oscar, still can't get over the Floyd loss, never seen someone take a loss this hard lol.

Like Mayweather has said, all the fighters have tried and all of them have failed, but in every challenge, in every fight, it's always a new opponent. It's always something different that every fighter brings to the table," stated Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya, who shared his thoughts on the upcoming May 3 clash between undefeated pound-for-pound king Floyd "Money" Mayweather and WBA weltereweight champion Marcos Maidana. Although he's not sure of the game plan that Maidana's trainer, Robert Garcia, has in store, De La Hoya insists that Mayweather is beatable and believes that he could've been the first to do it if their fight had taken place when he was younger.

"I'm not sure what they're thinking, but I'm positive they have a game plan and they have to execute that game plan. I mean, there's different reasons why everybody lost to Mayweather, you know, and obviously because he's the best," De La Hoya explained when asked during a recent conference call why Mayweather is so difficult to beat. "He's slippery. He's just slippery; slippery to hit. You know, and this is my experience; I'm just talking for myself. This is my experience, you know. Obviously, me as a competitor and to have a fighting spirit, you know, obviously if I was younger, I would've beat him. That's just the way I feel. Nobody has beat him before and that's reality. He's undefeated."
4/24/14 1:40 PM
tbi0904
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - fantastic weekend of fights including MMA, thanks Gay.

Damn straight. My dvr will be getting a workout Saturday.
4/24/14 1:56 PM
Tomato Can
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not to be overly negative again, but I would NOT call this a big boxing weekend. It's a weekend of shitty mismatches.
4/24/14 2:53 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Tomato Can - Not to be overly negative again, but I would NOT call this a big boxing weekend. It's a weekend of shitty mismatches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPXcuSLm5N0

haha but you're pretty correct, the only interesting match up is the Jones/Lebedev rematch, Klit fight is a mismatch. Julio Diaz and Molina will likely get KO'd.
4/24/14 3:23 PM
Uncle Creepy's Creepy Nephew
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andy Lee's Jr MW debut a couple of weeks ago. He did not look good.

Andy Lee vs. Frank Haroche Horta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltXCH2EU9GE
4/24/14 3:33 PM
Uncle Creepy's Creepy Nephew
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem in making the Quigg v Frampton fight is they are on different TV networks. Frampton was offered the fight but the have an exclusive deal with Boxnation and one fight left.

Both camps are competing to get Santa Cruz over and even though Frampton is his mandatory it isn't due for a while yet so Matchroom could try for a "unification" fight with Quigg/SantasCruz. Neither Quigg or Frampton want Rigo and you can't blame them for a few different reasons.

5 weeks until Froch v Groves 2. DeGale is Co-Main to face the winner. I Think the build up will be good again.
4/24/14 4:06 PM
Tomato Can
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would prefer Frampton vs. Santa Cruz and Rigondeaux vs. Kiko Martinez. Quigg looked good against Munyai but he hasn't faced any particularly high level opponents yet.

Rigondeaux's contract with Top Rank is up pretty soon so maybe then the matchmaking opportunities will broaden for him.
4/24/14 4:06 PM
endochokedme
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - 
Tomato Can - Not to be overly negative again, but I would NOT call this a big boxing weekend. It's a weekend of shitty mismatches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPXcuSLm5N0

haha but you're pretty correct, the only interesting match up is the Jones/Lebedev rematch, Klit fight is a mismatch. Julio Diaz and Molina will likely get KO'd.

When I looked at the matchups on showtime and looked for the betting odds, I see your point TC.

It doesn't bother me though. Its a showcase fight for Thurman imo, against a tough experienced vet. And I am always going to watch Matthysse, interested to see him return after the setback vs Garcia.

Was reading that Figueroa lost to Belemontes (I'm not familiar with him) 5 times as an amateur. should be good

starting to get excited for UFC as well. Jones vs Glover is intriguing
4/24/14 4:28 PM
Tomato Can

Belmontes is the smallest underdog on the Showtime card and he's still +450.

Leapai is +1400 against Klitchko.
4/24/14 9:44 PM
Fedoral Crime
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - thanks Tilla, appreciate your feedback and your continuous support on here.

I'm high on Frampton too, kid has power. I'd love to see Frampton/Santa Cruz, someone needs to give Rigondeaux a challenge lol.

what about the potential Kell Brook/Shaun Porter fight, and Groves/Froch II?
If they could get Santa Cruz over to Belfast it'd probably be the loudest crowd ever in the history of boxing.

Carl is a great fighter and it'd be a great thing for Ireland (North and South) if that fight happens soon. It's been a long time since we had a real world class boxer and no fans get behind there fighters more than the Brits and Irish.

Santa Cruz seems like a good, slick fighter but with the hometown advantage Id have to go with Carl.

How do you guys see that fight going if it happens? Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 10:12 PM
Fedoral Crime
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VUs to everyone on this page. Just like Tilla, this is the 1st thread I check everyday and it probably has the best posters p4p on the UG. Subbed, Gay, Pharo, Wasa, Tilla, Chadk and BB to name just a few, would fuck anyone up from the 145-265 posting division lol!

For that alone BB should be at least 1000.

Stacked week of boxing thread neva die! Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 10:15 PM
The Mouth

LOL

4/24/14 10:17 PM
Fedoral Crime

This is a Roger Mayweather interview where he says that he'd like to see Floyd fight Pac soon. He also says he's better than his brother (Floyd Snr) as a trainer.

4/24/14 10:44 PM
The Mouth

Fedoral Crime - 

This is a Roger Mayweather interview where he says that he'd like to see Floyd fight Pac soon. He also says he's better than his brother (Floyd Snr) as a trainer.

Cant understand a fucking thing that mush mouth says.

Ever.

4/24/14 10:53 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Roger is the best lol, he's hilarious.

I like to see how Frampton would handle that pressure from Santa Cruz, If Frampton can get his respect with his power...he could pull that off.

thanks for the input as well Fedoral. The UK definitely support their fighters like no other.
4/24/14 10:55 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Uncle Creepy's Creepy Nephew - The problem in making the Quigg v Frampton fight is they are on different TV networks. Frampton was offered the fight but the have an exclusive deal with Boxnation and one fight left.

Both camps are competing to get Santa Cruz over and even though Frampton is his mandatory it isn't due for a while yet so Matchroom could try for a "unification" fight with Quigg/SantasCruz. Neither Quigg or Frampton want Rigo and you can't blame them for a few different reasons.

5 weeks until Froch v Groves 2. DeGale is Co-Main to face the winner. I Think the build up will be good again.

I'm not too high on DeGale, although I haven't seen him in over a year.

I hope that Frampton/Quigg or Frampton/Santa Cruz gets made.
4/24/14 11:50 PM
Fedoral Crime

The Mouth -
Fedoral Crime - 

Cant understand a fucking thing that mush mouth says.

Ever.

Yeah he has to be one of the most painful people to listen to in an interview. That's one other thing he has over Floyd Snr but only just. Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.