UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

7/14/14 12:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Windy City
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chadk - So, I'm reading that Algieri was offered $1.5 Million plus a PPV % to fight Pacquiao. However, he's balking because he thinks he's worth more and he has to "consider his health" long term?.. Uh, look here mother fucker, your ass made $100k to fight Provodnikov. Take the money dumbass! Phone Post 3.0

I think the fight will happen, he knows PAC doesn't have a lot of options for November and is trying to get more money.
7/14/14 12:28 PM
E55 Pilot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lara went out to not lose the fight. He was effective in the first couple rounds then after the body work by Conelo he fought to survive.
7/14/14 12:54 PM
Chaelismyhero

Its hard to cut the ring off vs. a guy as fast as Lara that runs that much to.

But Canelo is not a pressure fighter.He really doesn't need to cut off the ring. That is not his style. He is a boxer-puncher. Sometimes a counterpuncher. He had to fight with that pressure style to beat Lara.
7/14/14 6:06 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
829 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Canelo made $1.5 million plus PPV Sat, lol at Algieri.

7/14/14 6:07 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
829 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chaelismyhero - Its hard to cut the ring off vs. a guy as fast as Lara that runs that much to.

But Canelo is not a pressure fighter.He really doesn't need to cut off the ring. That is not his style. He is a boxer-puncher. Sometimes a counterpuncher. He had to fight with that pressure style to beat Lara.

he's not a very effective boxer-puncher, there's no jab, traps or anything in his game, and yea he needs to cut the ring off better.

7/14/14 6:19 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Canelo: Kirkland Possible in The Fall, Then Cotto

By Salvador Rodriguez

As most expected, a mega-fight between Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (44-1-1, 31KOs) and Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32KOs) will have to wait until next year. Canelo's manager and co-trainer, Jose "Chepo" Reynoso met with Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya and they decided that a fight with Cotto is better suited for May 2015. Cotto is slated to defend his WBC middleweight crown in December.

"On Sunday we met with Oscar to discuss the future of Canelo. A fight with Cotto is a natural, but probably we should wait until May 2015," Reynoso said.

One opponent who Canelo could possibly face in November is dangerous puncher James Kirkland (32-1, 28KOs). After a lackluster fight on Saturday with Cuban boxer Erislandy Lara, where Canelo gave chase for twelve rounds, a fight with Kirkland would certainly guarantee fireworks.

"Kirkland is a good opponent. Canelo has always asked to face the best and I think it would be a good fight for recognition, before climbing into the ring with Cotto, probably in May. It seems that is how things are being planned," added Reynoso.

7/14/14 6:27 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Roberto Ortiz: 90% Chance I'll Get Lucas Matthysse

By Ben Jacobs

Lucas Matthysse has been looking for a rematch with Danny García ever since his points decision loss to the Philadelphian last September, that however looks unlikely to happen anytime in the near future.

As BoxingScene reported earlier, more than one name is being discussed for the Argentine with Michael ‘The Artist’ Pérez in the frame . Nevertheless, another opponent could possibly be the current WBC Silver champion, Roberto ‘Massa’ Ortíz.

A source with knowledge of the negotiations confirms that Ortiz and Perez are both in the running for Matthysse's next outing on September 6th.

Ortiz has built up an impressive record (31-0-1, 24 KOs), is currently ranked at number four by the WBC and revealed to BoxingScene that his camp are in discussions for him to face Matthysse.

“I feel ready now,” proclaimed the Golden Boy promoted fighter.

“I’ve been the silver champion for three years, I’ve made nine defences so I think I’m ready for these big fights.

“Regarding the rumours that I may fight Matthysse, I can say my manager has told me that there is a possibility that I’ll fight him.  I’d say it’s a 90% chance.  They’ve possibly accepted the fight, but there are some other details to work out.”

There have also been rumours that Danny García may be stripped of the WBC belt due to the choice of Rod Salka as his next opponent.  Ortíz revealed that if he does fight Matthysse then that title may be on the line.

“If I fight Lucas and it’s for the world title, it would be an incredible thing for me, a big plus.

“I thought Mauricio Herrera beat Garcia, although it was a very close fight.  From the first round he showed a good jab and competed well in every round.  I also wanted to fight him [García] but it seems he may go up in weight soon.”

The 28-year-old from Torreón saw Matthysse’s war against John Molina Jr and feels that Lucas is not quite the same fighter as he was prior to the García loss.

“I think he can be beaten,” he opined.

“He’s a strong fighter, of course, he’s fought the best in the division but he doesn’t seem to have the confidence that he had in previous fights.  You have to be ready mentally as well as physically and we’ve also seen that he goes down.  Molina dropped him twice, but he did get up and go forward.  If I do fight him, we’ll come up with a good strategy.

“Whoever drops their guard first may end up getting knocked out.  If the fight happens, my intention is to be ready for 12 rounds.

“I’ve been training for three weeks because I was due to fight at the end of August anyway.  If I don’t fight Matthysse then I’ll fight on August 30 and soon I’ll have the chance to fight the best.”
7/14/14 6:57 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Hassan N'Dam-Curtis Stevens on September 30th

Editor's Note: Manager Gary Hyde has informed BoxingScene.com that N'Dam-Stevens will be on September 30th, which is going to be a Tuesday card.

By Edward Chaykovsky

According to Gary Hyde, manager of former WBO middleweight champion  Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam (30-1, 18KOs), King Sports have submitted the winning purse bid for his fighter's final IBF eliminator with Curtis Stevens (27-4, 20KOs). The date of the fight, says Hyde, is September 20th in Santa Monica, California.

N'Dam showed a lot of heart when he lost the WBO title in 2012. He was dropped six times by Peter Quillin, who couldn't stop N'Dam and had to settle for a twelve round unanimous decision. Stevens (27-4, 20KOs) challenged WBA/IBO champion Gennady Golovkin last November and was stopped in eight rounds.
7/14/14 7:05 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Froch: There is No Reason DeGale Fight Can't Happen

By Edward Chaykovsky

IBF/WBA 'regular' super middleweight champion Carl Froch (33-2, 24KOs) sees no reason as to why a potential fight with James DeGale can't happen. DeGale (19-1, 13KOs), a 2008 Olympic gold medal winner, became Froch's IBF mandatory challenger with a fourth round stoppage of Brandon Gonzales in May before 80,000 fans at Wembley Stadium. In the main event of that card, Froch knocked out George Groves.

Froch told Sky Sports: "James DeGale is mandatory for the IBF title but I've just had two mandatory defenses. But everyone knows I don't shy away from any fight. We've got to sit down with Eddie Hearn but there's no reason why this fight can't happen."

Their mutual promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom said a fight could happen in the fall or early next year, but ultimately it's Froch's decision.

"I think DeGale would be a huge fight. It is a domestic fight between a legend of the sport and an Olympic champion who is looking to make history and become the first British gold medalist to go on and win a world title. I think that a fight with Carl and James could be made either this winter, in November or December, or possibly in the Spring," Hearn stated in his Daily Mail column. "It is all in Carl’s court but what I do know about him is that he will not willingly vacate a title. He worked hard for his titles, he won’t just give them up."

7/14/14 7:46 PM
Oak the Toke
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm trying to understand why Canelo's team wouldn't insist on Cotto immediately. The match-up is favorable and it would most likely be his biggest payday outside of Floyd or Pac.

Crap, I don't know why either guy wouldn't want the fight. If Miguel wins, he surely would be in line for another crack at PBF and a mega payday.

I thought the experience of being ringside at MSG for the Trout debacle would have Canelo seeking this fight now while Cotto is still hot and before he gets a bad loss. Phone Post 3.0
7/14/14 9:20 PM
Chaelismyhero

Oak the Toke - I'm trying to understand why Canelo's team wouldn't insist on Cotto immediately. The match-up is favorable and it would most likely be his biggest payday outside of Floyd or Pac.

Crap, I don't know why either guy wouldn't want the fight. If Miguel wins, he surely would be in line for another crack at PBF and a mega payday.

I thought the experience of being ringside at MSG for the Trout debacle would have Canelo seeking this fight now while Cotto is still hot and before he gets a bad loss. Phone Post 3.0

It would be biggest in May. Mexico vs. Puerto Rico is a big rivalry.

I think Canelo would knock Cotto out late in the fight.
7/14/14 9:49 PM
Chomas
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How does purse bidding work?

7/14/14 10:26 PM
dios
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP -

Froch: There is No Reason DeGale Fight Can't Happen

By Edward Chaykovsky

IBF/WBA 'regular' super middleweight champion Carl Froch (33-2, 24KOs) sees no reason as to why a potential fight with James DeGale can't happen. DeGale (19-1, 13KOs), a 2008 Olympic gold medal winner, became Froch's IBF mandatory challenger with a fourth round stoppage of Brandon Gonzales in May before 80,000 fans at Wembley Stadium. In the main event of that card, Froch knocked out George Groves.

Froch told Sky Sports: "James DeGale is mandatory for the IBF title but I've just had two mandatory defenses. But everyone knows I don't shy away from any fight. We've got to sit down with Eddie Hearn but there's no reason why this fight can't happen."

Their mutual promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom said a fight could happen in the fall or early next year, but ultimately it's Froch's decision.

"I think DeGale would be a huge fight. It is a domestic fight between a legend of the sport and an Olympic champion who is looking to make history and become the first British gold medalist to go on and win a world title. I think that a fight with Carl and James could be made either this winter, in November or December, or possibly in the Spring," Hearn stated in his Daily Mail column. "It is all in Carl’s court but what I do know about him is that he will not willingly vacate a title. He worked hard for his titles, he won’t just give them up."

Wait I thought Froch was fighting Chavez next? Phone Post 3.0
7/14/14 10:35 PM
stillmatic
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chadk - Some observations, Canelo is going to have problems with anyone with a stiff jab who can slide off to angles. He's dangerous if you let him set his feet. Not as scary if you turn him.

How is it that you're a body punching, Mexican fighter with T-Rex length arms but you still haven't figured out how to cut the ring off after 40 some fights? He literally ran after Lara a few times last night. Cut the ring off kid.

His corner sucks. Seek out Nacho Beristan or someone else. They offered him nothing of value last night. Amateur hour.

He's a good fighter but nothing all that special. He isn't at the Barrera, Morales or Marquez level, let alone worthy of mention in same breath as JCC. I don't think he's ever going to be "great"either. When he moves up, his height and stumpy arms will be an even bigger issue against bigger & taller men. Phone Post 3.0

He's just not that talented. He's physically strong, but the rest of his tools are good to average. I would say he's about Ricky Hatton level in terms of talent. He will probably struggle the same moving up in weight as Hatton did losing his big advantage, which is his size.

Lara gave that fight away by fighting dumb. With the crowd going nuts every time Canelo did anything, he should have known he had to win the fight decisively to get the decision. Anytime they had exchanges, Lara won those too, so there was really no reason for him to fight so defensively.
7/15/14 1:52 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

A purse bid is an initial step in arranging a professional boxing match, involving the fight's/card's promoter(s). All interested registered promoters may bid on the amount of the purse (the total money that the fighters will be paid for the match), if the sides representing each fighter fail to agree on it before the deadline. The highest offer wins; however, the winning entity must produce a small percentage of the total amount up-front by a certain date. How the fighters will split the purse is negotiated between the fighters' respective representatives. Purse bids are often won by one of the two fighters' promoters.
7/15/14 1:53 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

those were just talks Dios.

7/15/14 4:56 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Arum says Pac-Algieri is being finalized 

7/15/14 5:01 PM
TFK_BOZY
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LUBMMA, Shared Owner
Canelo vs Cotto has me very excited. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/14 5:16 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Fernando Vargas Jr doing a little sparring 

7/15/14 5:18 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

TFK_BOZY - Canelo vs Cotto has me very excited. Phone Post 3.0

Lara's Co-Manager isn't very happy about it lol

7/15/14 5:53 PM
stillmatic
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tebow For President - Still I love you, and I hardly ever do this but when I read you comparing Canelo to Ricky Hatton to me it was like you asking me to put a shotgun in my mouth and giving up on the love of my life, the most beautiful sport in the world, the sport of boxing.

Still please don't make me cry.

I don't really think it's an insult. Hatton was a very good fighter, but lost when he stepped up against great fighters. I just don't see Canelo as a special fighter.
7/15/14 11:20 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Pac vs Algieri set

7/15/14 11:24 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP -

Pac vs Algieri set

I think he gets the knockout everybody has been wanting. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/14 7:33 PM
MMA Playwright
853 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Al Haymon at center of Barthelemy legal dispute

Now that super featherweight Rances Barthelemy (20-0, 12 KOs) has claimed the IBF championship belt from Argenis Mendez in a July 10 bout held in Miami and promoted by Mike Tyson’s Iron Mike Promotions, the stakes have been raised in a lawsuit filed weeks before by Barthelemy’s co-promoter, Bad Dog Productions, LLC, and the litigation is now sure to heat-up. The lawsuit, filed in Miami-Dade circuit court, asserts serious claims against the fighter, Barthelemy’s other promoter Warriors Boxing, and advisor Al Haymon.

The six count Complaint filed by attorney Jorge L. Fors, Jr. of Coral Gables, Florida, alleges that Barthelemy, Warriors Boxing, and Al Haymon essentially locked-out the Plaintiff, Bad Dog Productions, by prohibiting Bad Dog from promoting the fighter’s increasingly lucrative bouts beginning with Barthelemy’s IBF title elimination bout against Thailand’s Fahsai Sakkreerin in June of last year that ended with Barthelemy dropping his opponent in the second round.

“We want nothing but the best for this fighter,” said Richard Dobal of Bad Dog, “it’s a shame it had to come down to this but, after exploring every possible resolution to the problem, we were left no choice but to take legal action when it became apparent that everyone, including our partners, Warriors Boxing, were trying to shove us out of the picture once Barthelemy started living up to the championship potential we saw in him from the beginning… we simply could not allow Warriors who suddenly became empowered by Al Haymon to intimidate us into walking away from Barthelemy after all the hard work we put into getting the fighter to where he is today.”

The lawsuit points to Al Haymon as a possible catalyst for Bad Dog’s ouster, alleging that the media-shy Haymon inked a deal with the fighter around the same time period, whereby he purportedly became Barthelemy’s “adviser” though, as the lawsuit alleges, Haymon acts more like a “promoter”, which is a defined term under the Muhammad Ali Act, a federal law that prevents boxing “managers” from serving as “promoters” and vice-versa.

This is not the first case where Haymon, who has inked agreements to “advise” a stable of prominent fighters, has been named in a suit due to his mysterious relationship with professional boxers. Only a few months ago in April, Main Events, a New Jersey boxing promotion company filed a lawsuit against Haymon and others decrying Haymon’s dealings in this capacity.

Bad Dog’s attorney, Jorge L. Fors, Jr., commented, “I believe this case represents one of many to come that will call into question this newly created “adviser” role in boxing. It is a handcrafted relationship, designed to allow a self-labeled ‘adviser’ to pull strings, controlling a fighter and his promoters, while staying conveniently outside the mutually exclusive definitions of a ‘promoter’ and a ‘manager’ under federal law. Those rigid definitions exist for a reason.”

7/16/14 7:35 PM
MMA Playwright
853 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Middleweights Bryan Vera and Gabriel Rosado will box in a 17-foot circular “pit” with no ropes on August 16 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The $29.99 PPV bout will be contested over seven two-minute rounds. The fighters will use boxing gloves and the format is approved by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It’s not yet decided if this style of boxing will be included as an official fight on their Fight Fax records. Former Golden Boy Promotions exec Bruce Binkow is involved in the promotion.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.