UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

21 days ago
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chaelismyhero
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Shannon Briggs fights Wladimir Klitschko, I honestly believe that he might die. I'm dead serious...I highly doubt he beats Ruslan but if he somehow pulls it off...

Vitali almost killed him about 4 years. It was an absolute slaughter.
21 days ago
Windy City

thefightingsheep - 
Windy City - I am picking Canelo, but am rooting for Lara being I think he has a better style to beat Mayweather!

I know this isn't what you meant, but I would argue that Canelo has a better style to FIGHT Mayweather--the style that generates 2 million plus buys for a big event.

In other words, I don't think Lara sells and I don't think Floyd fights frequently enough to want to make that fight in addition to what he might have lined up with easier and more marketable fighters like Maidana, Khan and possibly Cotto, Broner or Pacquiao after those fights are finished.

I agree with you, but Mayweather fights junior welterweights,welterweights and junior middleweights and if Lara wins he is the biggest threat to Mayweather. Bob Arum has said in the past Mayweather doesn't fight black fighters and I kind of agree with him.
21 days ago
Barry_BondsMVP
891 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what's Arum talking about?

Mosley

Judah

Shamba Mitchell

Corley

N'Dou

21 days ago
Barry_BondsMVP
891 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maidana-Mayweather II confirmed 

21 days ago
thefightingsheep
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - 

Mosley

Judah

Shamba Mitchell

Corley

N'Dou

I'm sure Arum really meant "He won't fight Tim Bradley, Kendall Holt or Lamont Peterson."
21 days ago
Barry_BondsMVP

lol yea that's true.

21 days ago
GayGuardMooseSaucy
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody picking Lara want a SN bet? Phone Post 3.0
21 days ago
Windy City

thefightingsheep - 
Barry_BondsMVP - 

Mosley

Judah

Shamba Mitchell

Corley

N'Dou

I'm sure Arum really meant "He won't fight Tim Bradley, Kendall Holt or Lamont Peterson."

Mayweather has been the biggest name in boxing since he beat DLH. The opponents he has fought since than in order

1. Ricky Hatton
2. Juan Manuel Marquez
3. Shane Mosely 38 years old
4. Victor Ortiz
5. Miguel Cotto
6. Roberto Guwerrero
7. Canelo
8. Maidana

These are Mayweathers opponents for the last 7 years

1 white guy , 6 Latinos, I black

Mayweather is not the De La Hoya type were he will fight any one any time. He picks and chooses his opponents very carefully.
21 days ago
Windy City

As far as Maidana vs Mayweather go I think who they choose as a referee could determine that fight.
21 days ago
Barry_BondsMVP

the same can be said for Pacquiao, I think you can say both don't fight their share of "slick" boxers. But what black fighters should Floyd have fought minus Paul Williams who would of been an interesting fight?

21 days ago
thefightingsheep
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Windy City - 
thefightingsheep - 
Barry_BondsMVP - 

Mosley

Judah

Shamba Mitchell

Corley

N'Dou

Mayweather has been the biggest name in boxing since he beat DLH. The opponents he has fought since than in order

1. Ricky Hatton
2. Juan Manuel Marquez
4. Victor Ortiz
5. Miguel Cotto
6. Roberto Guwerrero
7. Canelo
8. Maidana

Mayweather is not the De La Hoya type were he will fight any one any time. He picks and chooses his opponents very carefully.

Who do you think was missing, in terms of a black fighter, during that time? I think that he should have fought Bradley. Mosely would have been a better fight if he fought him during the time he was retired, but he fought him anyway after 1 "tune-up" (against a top 5 p4p guy, although granted a lighter fighter at the time). Williams had already moved up in weight by then IIRC. Alexander fizzled and Broner imploded at 147. Not sure that I see anyone obvious besides Bradley.
20 days ago
MMA Playwright
642 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GABRIEL ROSADO VS. BRYAN VERA SET FOR AUGUST 16 BIG-KNOCKOUT BOXING EVENT

By Ben Thompson | June 23, 2014
GABRIEL ROSADO VS. BRYAN VERA SET FOR AUGUST 16 BIG-KNOCKOUT BOXING EVENT

According to multiple sources, middleweights Gabriel Rosado and Bryan Vera have agreed to face each other in the main event of the August 16 installment of Big-Knockout Boxing. Though no official announcement has been made by the organization, a source with knowledge of the bout agreements confirmed to FightHype.com that both fighters have signed their contracts. For those that are unfamiliar with the organization, make no mistake about it, this won't be your typical boxing match.

Developed and owned by DIRECTV, Big-Knockout Boxing is described as "an aggressive new sport, matching up two fighters who face off in 'The Pit,' a smaller fighting surface that forces more pound-for-pound action than traditional boxing." The sport was sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission earlier this year. Although traditional boxing rules apply, as previously mentioned, instead of a ring, the fights take place in a circular pit, with no ropes whatsoever, and they consist of seven 2-minute rounds. Fighters use specially designed gloves that reportedly have less padding in the knuckle area.

We're told that the event will take place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada and will be televised on pay-per-view by DIRECTV. Rosado and Vera will reportedly face each other at 160 pounds and the BKB middleweight title will be on the line.

20 days ago
MMA Playwright
642 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DirecTV Bets on a Knockout From Boxing

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- DirecTV (DTV) has seen its shares rise from market chatter about a potential merger with Dish Network  (DISH). While this deal would give investors a strong return, I think DirecTV should be an investment for other reasons. DirecTV is venturing into the world of boxing with a brand-new sport and continues to hold ownership stakes in key channels and content.

Apart from the merger talks, the big news for DirecTV was the state of Nevada sanctioning Big Knockout Boxing. Big Knockout Boxing is the newest combat sport, which serves as an entry into a competitive field that includes boxing, World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and UFC. Big Knockout Boxing is 100% owned by DirecTV and could be a nice growth strategy, if the sport gains traction.

The new combat sport will take place in an area known as "The Pit." The big differences for the sport are shorter rounds, which last two minutes, and a more intense offensive style of fighting that rewards aggressive boxers. The sport reminds me of the Arena Football League's fierce take on that sport, in contrast to the more popular National Football League's.

DirecTV has announced plans for Big Knockout Boxing events in 2014 and 2015. The company is also looking at building its own venue in Las Vegas, which would generate an even bigger revenue share of the sports success.

Currently, boxing is a revenue driver for both CBS (CBS) and Time Warner (TWX) through their respective Showtime and HBO channels. Showtime sees revenue from both its Showtime Championship Boxing series and its pay-per-view boxing events. Showtime has an exclusive six-fight deal with Floyd Mayweather Jr. that will continue on May 3 with a fight against Marcos Maidana. Back in September, a Mayweather vs. Saul Alvarez fight saw pay-per-view revenue of $150 million from more than 2 million purchases. HBO airs the Boxing After Dark series that scored higher ratings in January against its Showtime rival by a margin of 777,000 to 390,000.

Currently, boxing, UFC and World Wrestling Entertainment events make up the bulk of pay-per-view revenue. Big Knockout Boxing may find a home on a different sports network, in order to gain popularity before it starts testing pay-per-view events.

The sport could garner a large audience, as DirecTV is currently available to 20 million U.S. customers. The large cable provider is also home to the NFL Sunday Ticket, which gives investors a big reason to sign up for a plan from the company. It is unclear whether DirecTV will keep the sport exclusive to its customers or also sell it to other cable providers, which could generate nice subscription fees.

Ownership of Big Knockout Boxing makes DirecTV a bigger player in the sports market, where it currently has several key assets. DirecTV owns Root Sports, a cable provider in three U.S. regions. Root Sports Rocky Mountain provides coverage of the Colorado Rockies, Utah Jazz and University of Denver to customers in Colorado and several other states. Root Sports Northwest covers the Seattle Mariners, two Major League Soccer teams and several college sports teams across parts of five states. Root Sports Pittsburgh covers the Pittsburgh Pirates, Penguins and Steelers. The channel is a staple for customers in Pennsylvania and four other states.

Root Sports reaches 8.7 million customers in a total of 18 states. The company has an exclusive partnership with 25 teams and college conferences to air sporting events. Along with its sports coverage, DirecTV also owns a 42% stake in the Game Show Network, which reaches more than 68% of U.S. households.

DirecTV also offers investors a chance to capitalize on a growing cable market in Latin America. The company has 17 million subscribers from countries like Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela and Colombia. DirecTV is the largest pay television provider in Latin America.

Shares of DirecTV were up Thursday and Friday on rumors of the merger with Dish Network. Though the shares are close to 52 week-highs, I think DirecTV stock has more growth ahead, with its content and widening subscriber bases in Latin America. Consider buying if a merger falls through and shares come down.

20 days ago
Windy City

thefightingsheep - 
Windy City - 
thefightingsheep - 
Barry_BondsMVP - 

Mosley

Judah

Shamba Mitchell

Corley

N'Dou

1. Ricky Hatton
2. Juan Manuel Marquez
4. Victor Ortiz
5. Miguel Cotto
6. Roberto Guwerrero
7. Canelo
8. Maidana

Who do you think was missing, in terms of a black fighter, during that time? I think that he should have fought Bradley. Mosely would have been a better fight if he fought him during the time he was retired, but he fought him anyway after 1 "tune-up" (against a top 5 p4p guy, although granted a lighter fighter at the time). Williams had already moved up in weight by then IIRC. Alexander fizzled and Broner imploded at 147. Not sure that I see anyone obvious besides Bradley.

You do have a good point now that I am thinking about it. But I would say

Paul Williams ( for a shot at Mayweather he would have came down)
Timothy Bradley
Mayweather turned best friends with Broner when Broner was considered the next Mayweather

Early in his career when he was at junior lightweight he didn't fight Stevie Johnson or Shane Mosely

He ducked PAC and Margarito

Fought Miguel Cotto a few years late

Mayweather is great but he will never be considered the greatest because he didn't fight the top level of opposition when he was the number 1 guy in boxing.

Out of all the fighters he has fought since DLH I give him the most credit in taking on Canelo
20 days ago
pharochuck
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
Windy City - 
thefightingsheep - 
Windy City - 
thefightingsheep - 
Barry_BondsMVP - 

Mosley

Judah

Shamba Mitchell

Corley

N'Dou

1. Ricky Hatton
2. Juan Manuel Marquez
4. Victor Ortiz
5. Miguel Cotto
6. Roberto Guwerrero
7. Canelo
8. Maidana

Timothy Bradley
Mayweather turned best friends with Broner when Broner was considered the next Mayweather

Early in his career when he was at junior lightweight he didn't fight Stevie Johnson or Shane Mosely

Mayweather is great but he will never be considered the greatest because he didn't fight the top level of opposition when he was the number 1 guy in boxing.

Out of all the fighters he has fought since DLH I give him the most credit in taking on Canelo

paul williams, paul williams became a recognized force in 2007 when he beat margarito. he was then a viable opponent right? floyd was figthting oscar in a fight that really was a shot in the arm for boxing. should he have fought williams instead who had never held a belt? ok so williams beat margarito, he should be next right? well floyd fought hatton, a 43-0 guy with a legit fan base. another megafight. are you going to say in 2007 paul williams was of the name standing as oscar and hatton? lol. what does paul williams do with his stardom? he fights quintana and loses badly. floyd takes a break. wiliams beats quintana in the rematch and admits welterweight is not for him and moves up to 154. in 09 floyd comes back and fights jmm at welter, williams is fighting at 160 at this point. there was never a realistic timeframe where williams and floyd could have fought.

timothy bradley never fought above 140 until 2012, floyd left 140 in 2005. so at what point were they supposed to fight?

broner? come on are you serious?

when floyd fought at 130 and was champ from 98 to 01. shane fought for the 147 title in 2000. floyd moved to 135 in 02, shane was fighting at 154. they were never in the same class. in 08 shane made negative comments about floyd. when shane beat mayorga floyd challenged him and shane said nope i'm going to have dental surgery and take a vacation with the wife.  weeks later he signed to fight margarito.

srum himself said cotto wasn't ready. 

ducked pac? more like didn't want to put up with arum and his bullshit

maragrito was never a real consideration. would have looked like mayweather-baldomir with more swinging at the air

20 days ago
Barry_BondsMVP

Floyd also wanted Shane before Shane jumped from 35' to 47'. Besides fighting a Margarito who's best win at the time was Kermit Cintron....Floyd opted to fight the lineal WW champ in Carlos Baldomir.
20 days ago
KFP49
773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Two of my favorite posters dropping knowledge.

20 days ago
Windy City

pharochuck - 
Windy City - 
thefightingsheep - 
Windy City - 
thefightingsheep - 
Barry_BondsMVP - 

Mosley

Judah

Shamba Mitchell

Corley

N'Dou

1. Ricky Hatton
2. Juan Manuel Marquez
4. Victor Ortiz
5. Miguel Cotto
6. Roberto Guwerrero
7. Canelo
8. Maidana

Timothy Bradley

paul williams, paul williams became a recognized force in 2007 when he beat margarito. he was then a viable opponent right? floyd was figthting oscar in a fight that really was a shot in the arm for boxing. should he have fought williams instead who had never held a belt? ok so williams beat margarito, he should be next right? well floyd fought hatton, a 43-0 guy with a legit fan base. another megafight. are you going to say in 2007 paul williams was of the name standing as oscar and hatton? lol. what does paul williams do with his stardom? he fights quintana and loses badly. floyd takes a break. wiliams beats quintana in the rematch and admits welterweight is not for him and moves up to 154. in 09 floyd comes back and fights jmm at welter, williams is fighting at 160 at this point. there was never a realistic timeframe where williams and floyd could have fought.

timothy bradley never fought above 140 until 2012, floyd left 140 in 2005. so at what point were they supposed to fight?

broner? come on are you serious?

when floyd fought at 130 and was champ from 98 to 01. shane fought for the 147 title in 2000. floyd moved to 135 in 02, shane was fighting at 154. they were never in the same class. in 08 shane made negative comments about floyd. when shane beat mayorga floyd challenged him and shane said nope i'm going to have dental surgery and take a vacation with the wife.  weeks later he signed to fight margarito.

srum himself said cotto wasn't ready. 

ducked pac? more like didn't want to put up with arum and his bullshit

maragrito was never a real consideration. would have looked like mayweather-baldomir with more swinging at the air

Paul Williams was more dangerous than Ricky Hatton or DLH at that point in his career. I agree you could make more money fighting Hatton and DLH.

The fight with Bradley could have been made easily. Do you think if Mayweather said I want to fight Bradley at 147 he would refuse?

Broner looked great early on. Many experts said he could be the next Mayweather. Mayweather becomes best friends with him and says he is like a little brother to me.

At one point mosely was 32-0 30 KO's at lightweight and Mayweather was 20-0 at junior. Lightweight. The fight never happened.

Mayweather is the money guy if he wanted to fight Cotto the fight would be made.

He ducked PAC it wasn't about Arum. He was crying claiming that PAC was on steroids and used that as an excuse to not take the fight.

After Margarito beat Cotto he was one of the most feared fighters on boxing,

Mayweather is the best P4P fighter in boxing but he is not like DLH who would take on anyone. Mayweather is very careful with who he fights since he beat DLH.
20 days ago
Windy City

Mayweather more often than not does not give fans the fight they want to see. He usually does it a year late or a year early.
20 days ago
thefightingsheep

I think Floyd's biggest potential misses were early in his career, not later. He left two undefeated "champions" (well, they held belts) at each of his first three weight classes IIRC: Cassamoyer and Freitas at 135, Spadafora and Dorin at 135, and Hatton and Cotto at 140.

But the reality is that he was moving on to superfights. Guys like Williams and Cassamoyer might have been difficult matchups, but they also needed to win the fights and build the attention that was necessary to get the fight with one of the biggest attractions out there.

It's like ODLH. Looking back on his record, he fought a list of killers. He would legitimately be discussed as one of the top fighters of any era if he would have run through the gauntlet of Whitaker, Trinidad, Mosely, Hopkins, Pacquiao, Mayweather, etc. with clear victories. But all you heard about when he was active was how he was ducking this guy or ducking that guy, that he needed to fight Vernon Forrest or Winky Wright or rematch Felix Sturm. When guys like Mayweather or ODLH only fight twice a year they are going to try and make the biggest events possible out of those fights. Guys like Wright and Cassamoyer never made the cut.
20 days ago
Windy City

thefightingsheep - I think Floyd's biggest potential misses were early in his career, not later. He left two undefeated "champions" (well, they held belts) at each of his first three weight classes IIRC: Cassamoyer and Freitas at 135, Spadafora and Dorin at 135, and Hatton and Cotto at 140.

But the reality is that he was moving on to superfights. Guys like Williams and Cassamoyer might have been difficult matchups, but they also needed to win the fights and build the attention that was necessary to get the fight with one of the biggest attractions out there.

It's like ODLH. Looking back on his record, he fought a list of killers. He would legitimately be discussed as one of the top fighters of any era if he would have run through the gauntlet of Whitaker, Trinidad, Mosely, Hopkins, Pacquiao, Mayweather, etc. with clear victories. But all you heard about when he was active was how he was ducking this guy or ducking that guy, that he needed to fight Vernon Forrest or Winky Wright or rematch Felix Sturm. When guys like Mayweather or ODLH only fight twice a year they are going to try and make the biggest events possible out of those fights. Guys like Wright and Cassamoyer never made the cut.

Do not compare DLH with Mayweather in the same sentence when it comes to fighting tough opponents. I followed DLH career very closely and no one ever questioned him on taking on tough fights. Didn't get 1% the heat Mayweather gets from fans.

To me he is better than Mayweather as it stands now. Watch that Mayweathervs DLH fight again, Mayweather won the fight but fought extremely scared against a 34 year old DLH.

DLH fought Pernell Whitaker, Ike Quartey. He didn't need to take those fights at that time and there were bigger fights out there for him but he gave the fans what they wanted. Ike Quartey was dangerous as hell no one wanted to fight him and he was not the most marketable guy. The only guy that you could say DLH possibly ducked was Azumah Nelson when he jumped to 135.

If DLH was in Mayweathers shoes do you think he would have fought PAC? DLH was a throw back Mayweather is not. Mayweather literally probably fought 4 times the quality of opponents Mayweather fought.
20 days ago
Barry_BondsMVP

I remember Floyd wanting to fight Oscar when Oscar was ar 147. He told Arum he'd do it for $20 million but he got laughed at. Look who's laughing now lol. There was also a video years ago of Floyd calling out guys like Tsyzu and Gatti etc when he was moving up the ranks at 140.
20 days ago
Windy City

Sorry on iphone I meant to say DLH fought 4 times the opposition Mayweather has. Mayweather had the chance of being close to the level of Sugar Ray leonard but he blew it on not taking on the toughest opponents.
20 days ago
Windy City

Barry_BondsMVP - I remember Floyd wanting to fight Oscar when Oscar was ar 147. He told Arum he'd do it for $20 million but he got laughed at. Look who's laughing now lol. There was also a video years ago of Floyd calling out guys like Tsyzu and Gatti etc when he was moving up the ranks at 140.

To me fighters are judged when they are the biggest draw in boxing. They could make any fights at the snap of a finger, at that time Mayweather needed to call guys out. Who has Mayweather called out since he beat DLH? The best fighter in boxing taking on Guerrero and Ortiz? That is a joke.
20 days ago
Good Boy Killa

If Lara can make it through the the first 5-6 rounds without taking alot of damage he can take advantage of a tired, slowing canelo. I'll take Lara with the upset. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.