UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

2/4/13 3:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Barry_BondsMVP
848 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yea a lot of crap went wrong in this game...they had the chance and Roman blew it with the play calling at the end.

oh yea, Devon "Soft As Cotton" Alexander is injured, so his fight with Brook is postponed.

2/4/13 3:49 PM
Fitchhelpsmesleep
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twas a shame Barry. lol.

Don't postpone it, get Brook a more exciting opponent...even though I don't mind Dev Alexander too bad

and when you get a min i'm really geekin on that Nog v Rashad fight for some reason. Couldn't believe Rashads approach.

2/4/13 4:14 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
848 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yea Nog outboxed him, Rashad was just too hesistant to throw...surprised by his game plan. Guy is a athletic freak, don't understand why he didn't mix up his strikes more. He should move down to MW.

2/4/13 4:24 PM
Fitchhelpsmesleep
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would like to see him at MW, just can't believe that might be true that Rashad's only faced two southpaws in Lyoto and Nog, shouldve seen the trouble coming but even then I expected a Rashad W

2/4/13 4:27 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
476 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rashad's idea of a feint is slapping your opponent's hand repeatedly.  It's a shame he didn't mix it up more and let his hands go.

2/4/13 6:18 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

HBO will be airing Froch/Kessler.

2/4/13 6:19 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Edited: 02/04/13 6:19 PM

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=62043#ixzz2JyXMTjlf This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Rick Reeno Manager Henry Delgado advised BoxingScene.com that circulating information regarding an attack on junior welterweight Mike Alvarado (33-1, 23KOs) is being greatly exaggerated. Various sources in Denver told BoxingScene that Alvarado was involved in a physical altercation where one individual attempted to stab the boxer.

Delgado admits that there was a minor scuffle involving Alvarado, but the situation was squashed very quickly. The incident took place on Friday. Alvarado suffered a few minor scratches. Delgado laughed when asked to confirm if Alvarado scored a few knockouts during the altercation. The incident will in no way jeopardize the Rios rematch, says Delgado. "Mike is fine.

Nothing to worry about. Just a few scratches. He just finished a workout," Delgado told BoxingScene.com. Alvarado is scheduled for a very anticipated HBO televised rematch with Brandon Rios on March 30th at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Rios (31-0, 23KOs) stopped Alvarado in the seventh round on an all-out war on October 13, 2012. Their match was close to securing "Fight of The Year" honors for 2012 - until Juan Manuel Marquez pulled off the unthinkable and knocked out Manny Pacquiao in the sixth round of their December scrap.

2/4/13 6:21 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Edited: 02/04/13 6:21 PM

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=62067#ixzz2JyXqMvdb This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Ruslan Chikov IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko has still not finalized an opponent for his voluntary defense on April 6th. There were discussions about the possibility of putting him in with Olympic gold medal winner Odlanier Solis, but the Cuban's promoter Ahmet Oner tells the German press that their negotiations fell apart for unknown reasons.

"The subject is closed. We negotiated and, in fact, came to an agreement on all points, but at the last minute Klitschko's made a different decision. We always wanted this fight. Solis would come out even for very little money," Oner said. The rumored Klitschko opponent at the moment is WBA #5 rated Fres Oquendo.

2/5/13 5:56 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=62096#ixzz2K4HuLE00
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com reported on Monday that WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (11-0, 8KOs) parted ways with trainer Jorge Rubio and officially retained the services of Cuban coach Pedro Diaz, who also trains superstar Miguel Cotto, Olympic gold medal winner Odlanier Solis and several other fighters.

The move to change trainers has been heavily frowned upon by the boxer's manager, Gary Hyde. Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum, who promotes Rigondeaux, is also shocked by the boxer's decision to replace his training team.

Top Rank is trying to finalize an HBO televised unification against WBO champion Nonito Donaire (31-1, 20KOs) on April 13th, possibly at The Theatre in New York's Madison Square Garden. Rigondeaux would reportedly earn a career high $750,000 for the fight.

The bigger issue is Rigondeaux's insistence that Top Rank settles a pending legal dispute with Miami based Caribe Promotions.

"Top Rank sent a contract for the [Donaire] fight, which my advisers are reviewing, but I've made it clear to Top Rank that I want the legal problems between my promoter, Caribe Promotions, and Top Rank, to be resolved before the fight. I want the legal case between the two companies to be resolved," Rigondeaux said.

With the April date not being that far away, Arum tells BoxingScene that he will not waste his time with a back and forth debate with Rigondeaux on a legal case that Arum believes has no merit.

If the situation with Rigondeaux continues to escalate, then Arum will pursue a rematch between Donaire and Vic Darchinyan (38-5-1, 27KOs). Donaire put his name on the map in 2007, when he scored one-punch knockout of the heavily favored Darchinyan in five rounds. Darchinyan has hit a road of highs and lows over the years, but in 2012 he moved up to super bantamweight and won a lopsided decision over highly regarded Puerto Rican prospect Orlando Del Valle, who was unbeaten and expected by most to win by knockout.

"It's craziness. If he don't straighten out, we'll go to Darchinyan," Arum told BoxingScene.com. [Caribe] is trying to use the kid to put muscle on us to settle a lawsuit that we feel has no value. We offered him the fight. We've offered him a lot of money for the fight. If he doesn't take it, we'll move on to the next guy. He has to understand that he is very much the B-side."

While Arum would not confirm, third-party sources have advised BoxingScene that Top Rank VP Carl Moretti has been in contact with Darchinyan, a promotional free agent, and the Armenian puncher is ready and willing to accept the fight if Rigondeaux falls out.

Last August, a lawsuit was filed by Black, Srebnick, Kornspan & Stumpf on behalf of Boris Arencibia, owner of Caribe Promotions, against Rigodeaux and Top Rank. The case is pending in the Miami-Dade County courthouse in Florida. Arencibia's case is being handled by Jared Lopez, a partner in Black, Srebnick, Kornspan & Stumpf.

According to Lopez, Top Rank signed Rigondeaux in 2010 to a two-year agreement. Caribe was involved in that deal as a co-promoter and receives monetary compensation in connection to Rigondeaux's fights. Caribe is claiming the agreement between Top Rank and Rigondeaux was renewed without their involvement. Even in the prior agreement, the parties decided that Top Rank was the lead promoter of Rigondeaux.

Initially, Caribe sued Rigondeaux for breach of contract and tried to stop last September's fight against Roberto Marroquin, which took place on the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Sergio Martinez HBO pay-per-view undercard at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. Caribe was unable to prevent the fight from going forward.

Rigondeaux and Caribe have since resolved their problems.
2/5/13 5:57 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=62094#ixzz2K4IOw3r7
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Rick Reeno

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum has confirmed that junior middleweight contender Vanes Martirosyan (32-0-1, 20KOs) will return on April 6th on the undercard of the big event being planned on April 6th in Macau. The main event will feature the pro debut of Olympic gold medal winner Zou Shiming, who recently signed a contract with Top Rank. BoxingScene reported last week that super bantamweight contender Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. will see action on the card, and Brian Viloria will defend his WBA/WBO flyweight belts against Juan Estrada.

Vanes will likely face Javier Maciel of Argentina (24-2, 17KOs).

There have been some discussions with K2 Promotions, confirms Top Rank VP Carl Moretti, about possibly matching Vanes against WBO champion Zaurbek Baysangurov (28-1, 20KOs), who plans to make a March title defense in Eastern Europe.
2/5/13 5:59 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Bellew looking to challenge Dawson or Pascal if he wins his next fight.
2/5/13 6:00 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Bryant Jennings Ready To Face Klitschko on April 6

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?
m=show&opt=printable&id=62090#ixzz2K4IyhXAQ

Philadelphia, PA—Undefeated heavyweight contender Bryant Jennings is more than willing to challenge heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko on April 6 in Germany, according to Jennings’ promoter, J Russell Peltz.

“I cannot understand why Klitschko’s people are having such a tough time finding someone to fight,” Peltz said. “I spoke with their American representatives a few weeks ago and offered Jennings but I was told we were not being considered.”

Jennings, 28, of Philadelphia, is ranked No. 3 by the IBF and No. 22 by the WBC. He turned pro in 2010 and is 16-0, 8 K0s, and he holds the USBA heavyweight title.

“I am sure there are more than a few European boxing fans who have heard of Jennings, especially after he knocked out (ex-WBO champion) Sergei Liakhovich last year in Brooklyn,” Peltz added. “Some of the recent names that have been tossed out there couldn’t stand up to Jennings, so I do not see what the problem is with finding someone credible to fight Klitschko.

“Bryant has been asking for this fight for months.”

Jennings, an unknown at this time last year, broke into the heavyweight picture by winning five fights in 2013. In addition to beating Liakhovich, he pinned the first loss on previously unbeaten lefty Maurice Byarm, of Washington, DC, and he won the vacant USBSA title by pitching a shutout against iron-chinned Steve Collins, of Houston, TX.

In his last fight Dec. 8 in Philadelphia, Jennings defended the USBA crown by knocking out Bowie Tupou, of Tonga, in five rounds.

All of those 2013 fights were televised as part of the NBC Sports Network Fight Night series.

“I see things in their (Klitschko) arsenal, things that I could apply,” Jennings recently told Chris Mannix, of Sports Illustrated. “It’s not that (Klitschko) has weaknesses, it’s that I see things in him that I may be able to break through on. Wladimir has a problem being challenged. He is very seldom challenged. I know that if he gets hit on the chin, he is going down. I have confidence in my ability. I know I will try harder than those other guys he has fought. One of his weaknesses is that I think he would underestimate me, just like the rest of the guys I fought. I’m a light guy and he would think he can just push me around.

“Everyone knows how bad I want that fight. I don’t want to wait for my career. I don’t have 10 more years. I have a pace that I created and I’m just trying to keep up with that pace. I don’t have time to be slowed down. I cam here fast and I’ll leave fast.”
2/5/13 6:01 PM
Barry_BondsMVP

Roach Hopes To Be Working With Victor Ortiz

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=62091#ixzz2K4JPCo1Z

By Chris Robinson

On Saturday night, inside of the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, I spent some time backstage with Five-time Trainer of the Year Freddie Roach prior to his fighter Frankie Gomez’s bout with Lanard Lane.

Still a few hours away from Gomez’s match, Roach and I briefly discussed another pugilist he was recently seen working with in former welterweight champion Victor Ortiz.

Having suffered an upset loss to Josesito Lopez in June, Ortiz would part ways with his then-trainer Danny Garcia shortly after the setback.

Temporarily sidelined because of a second surgery for a broken jaw he suffered in his bout with Lopez, Ortiz is still finding time to stay in shape and was spotted working with Roach inside of his Wild Card Boxing Club in Los Angeles late last month.

Roach insists that he hasn’t officially been tabbed as Ortiz’s next trainer but seemed to really appreciate their recent time together.

“Victor’s a great talent, great kid,” Roach stated. “We did two days together. They haven’t made their mind up yet on who they are going to choose yet. We had a lot of fun. He’s a great kid and I wish him the best.”

This wasn’t Roach’s first encounter with Ortiz, as he vividly recalled some of the fighter’s sparring sessions in the past with his prized pupil, eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao.

“He’s seen me work many times,” Roach said of Ortiz. “He used to come to my gym and box with Manny Pacquiao quite a bit earlier in his career. Some of the best sparring sessions I’ve ever seen in my life. Some great wars.”

Roach is hesitant to speak on a possible future with Ortiz but you can sense the optimism in his voice.

“The thing is right now, they haven’t made a decision yet, so I really can’t expect anything now,” said Roach. “I think I helped him with some of his mistakes he was making and he was very happy about what I was showing him. Hopefully it will all come together.”

Roach endured a very tumultuous year in 2012, as he saw Pacquiao, as well as his other star fighters Amir Khan and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., suffer devastating losses. Khan has since teamed up with North California trainer Virgil Hunter while Chavez’s future remains uncertain.

There isn’t a single coach in the sport with as many accolades in recent memory other than Roach, yet he understands how the game of boxing works.

“Well, the thing is, we do all get older and things change in life,” Roach said, looking back at last year’s disappointments. “Like Manny Pacquiao told me, if you don’t think you can lose in this sport you picked the wrong sport.”

Regardless of what happens with Ortiz, Roach is eager for what his future holds and mentioned that he is looking forward to working with a new generation of upcoming boxers.

One of those fighters, the aforementioned Frankie Gomez, would end up impressing later that evening, winning a commanding decision over Lane after ten rounds of action to improve his record to 15-0 with 10 knockouts.

2/5/13 6:19 PM
Fitchhelpsmesleep

I would like Victor Ortiz with Freddie. 

Also what's up with Rigondeaux? Pissin off the boss man lol

2/5/13 6:20 PM
NAKMEEZY
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait to see Ward fight again. Can't believe he retired Pavlik without even having to step in the ring with him.
2/6/13 12:29 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Mayweather just posted, Devon Alexander is the front runner to face him.
2/6/13 12:33 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
491 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry_BondsMVP - Mayweather just posted, Devon Alexander is the front runner to face him.

Whoa

2/6/13 12:34 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Edited: 02/06/13 12:33 AM
definitely an interesting twist.
2/6/13 12:38 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
491 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't know how I feel about that. Alexander isn't the most exciting fighter IMO and Im nit sure he's PPV ready. WTF happened to Guerrero? Wish he'd just fight Canelo 

2/6/13 12:44 AM
Fitchhelpsmesleep

If Mayweather v Alexander gets made i'm not sure i'll buy the PPV depending on who's on the main card. 

Barry what you thinkin about Marquez not wanting the 5th scrap with Pacquiao? Also Victor Ortiz wants Khan supposedly

2/6/13 12:49 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Canelo is on the undercard, and possibly Broner on May 4th...Devon is a younger Zab imo.

can't blame JMM for not wanting another fight, I think he proved enough with that KO, can't get sweeter then that.

yea, loser leaves town, Khan/Ortiz? lol
2/6/13 1:10 AM
pharochuck
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
mayweather-alexander has no appeal to me. i like jennings vs wlad. i think jennings will give it a better go than haye did.
2/6/13 1:13 AM
Fitchhelpsmesleep

Barry_BondsMVP - Canelo is on the undercard, and possibly Broner on May 4th...Devon is a younger Zab imo.

can't blame JMM for not wanting another fight, I think he proved enough with that KO, can't get sweeter then that.

yea, loser leaves town, Khan/Ortiz? lol

Ortiz v Khan to the death??

2/6/13 1:15 AM
Barry_BondsMVP

Kumite rules for sure.

I think Devon would be a better fight then Guerrero imo.
2/6/13 1:32 AM
Fitchhelpsmesleep

Barry_BondsMVP - Kumite rules for sure.

I think Devon would be a better fight then Guerrero imo.

Shhhhh I want to see a possible KO! off with this Alexander! send him to Maidana

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.