UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Kettle Bell for back rehab

11/9/12 3:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MountainMedic
356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am in the process of rehabbing my lower back-slipped disk(s).

This was a chronic thing that finally became and acute and had to be dealt with when i lost feeling in my right heel/calf for 6-7 weeks. Currently in PT and results are great, my posture is correcting and I am learning new body mechanics. The muscles are a mess of atrophe & scar tissue, so I am weak & have to really think about posture & be careful about re-injury.

But because of the constant pain for the last few years, my workouts slowly became non existant. I want to start out again with something new, to keep me interested.

Can anyone reccomend a lower back/core specific beginner style workout? Obviously, I won't just be doing the kettle bells, I have some specific drills on the ground and with a ball that my PT ut together for me.

any advice appreciated! also, obviously I don't own any kettle bells, so I was looking at these from onnit https://www.onnit.com/onnit/images/products/kettlebells/zoom/starter.jpg. Thoughts? seems light, but everything I've heard is that they don't need to be super heavy & I want to be sure that I am using good form & not getting yanked around by weights that are too heavy.

Thanks for reading-MM
11/9/12 4:42 PM
acamp76144
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I found windmills and light DLs helped with my back rehab after I fell off a horse. Lots of stretches too and take it slowly. Phone Post
11/9/12 5:42 PM
MattB ATC
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You loss feeling in your calf, which shows you had some significant nerve disruption from the disc injury. From that, you likely are lacking lumbar stability and muscular control/coordination in that area. Since you are still recovering from a low back injury, especially it being a disc injury, I don't think that kettle bells are going to be the best option.

The main luxury of using the kettle bells are for swings. If you haven't fully recovered and corrected mechanical issues, you will likely hinge at one of the segments of your lumbar spine, which will only make the situation worse.

You could use the KBs for the basic exercises (which is what you should be focusing on), but you can just as easily use DBs or other weights. Nothing wrong with using the KBs for basic exercises, but I would just avoid any time of swing based movement with them until you are fully recovered. And even after, you may not respond well with them due to the extent (or the sound of the extent) of the disc injury.
11/9/12 7:58 PM
MountainMedic
356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks! Yeah, my plan for quite a while would honestly be simple things that I certainly can do with dumbbells. I wont even be starting that for 6 weeks or so. Right now we are working on realignment, ROM, & activating muscles that I just haven't used/used correctly.

Was looking at the KBs for down the road. Plus, I don't really have anything I want for xmas & I thought this would make it easy on my GF, lol.

Advice appreciated - MM Phone Post
11/10/12 11:40 AM
The Adversary
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just an fyi, the same brand of KB's (CAP) are a little bit cheaper on Amazon, and a lot cheaper when you factor in shipping cost. It may depend on if you have Amazon Prime or not, but it just says FREE Standard Shipping instead of FREE 2-Day Shipping like it usually does for Prime orders so I'm not sure.

Anyway, for a 45lb'er from what I'm looking at it's $100 on Onnit and $57 on Amazon before taxes.

Budo Videos carries some good ones, too, but I can't get their shipping rates without filling out a bunch of stuff.
11/10/12 2:45 PM
MountainMedic

Good lookin out, thanks! Phone Post
11/12/12 1:03 PM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had the same injuries man. I would recommend getting advice off a physio not a forum. You need to work on your core and posture to protect your back. This is key. Pilates is excellent and done in a controlled environment. Avoid heavy kettlebell use for a long time. Also get a PT to check your form before you try anything. Good luck. Phone Post
11/14/12 12:03 PM
Neal Zumbro
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just keep building stability for the region. Definitely stay away from heavy kettlebell swings and hip hinging until you have felt better for a long time, like maybe 6 months. Hold planks for hours and work simple bridging. Then I would progress to deadlifts and loaded carries. Phone Post
11/14/12 4:56 PM
MountainMedic

Thanks guys. My PT is slowly adding in more exercises each week. Im definitely taking g things slow.

I have to say the guy is some kind of which doctor ..... this is the first time I have been truly pain free in over 20 years. Im just so psyched at the possibility of being able to work out again & maybe even get back in the mats a little. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.