UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> Metro Detroit MMA gyms... Need some help...

11/11/12 1:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kickasspoolparty
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Michigan MMA enthusiasts. After being a fan for years I have been contemplating getting in a gym to train. I don't know if I'd ever be willing to compete BUT I'd like to learn and train for self defense purposes and physical fitness. I took Karate lessons for a year when I was kid, lol, but now I really want to get into it seriously so I can get a good work out. Can anyone recommend some gyms to check out? I'm not very young anymore but I think it would be good for me on multiple levels. Help a brother out. Where's a good starting spot for a guy with zero experience. Like I stated before, I don't think I want to compete but I'd really love to learn and work with quality people in a positive environment. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks UGers. Phone Post
11/11/12 1:42 AM
kickasspoolparty
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On a side note, I am leaning towards bjj and Thai boxing... Hope that helps narrow down some options. Thanks again!! Phone Post
11/11/12 1:43 PM
Samuraidog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You never mentioned what area you are in. Where do you live?
11/11/12 8:35 PM
kickasspoolparty

Oh it was in the title of the thread. Metro Detroit. Willing to drive for the best training. I'm currently living in St. Clair Shores on the eastside but I'm going to be moving pretty soon. Hope that helps. Phone Post
11/13/12 7:59 PM
DR1
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Come check out my place Fuse MMA located inside PowerHouse Gym at 16 mile and Gratiot. I teach BJJ and Muay Thai primarily. I'm a black belt in BJJ and Judo and have been trained in Muay Thai by Michigans best trainer Matee Jedeepitak for over 10 years. We have a lot of students and we are a very friendly family type atmosphere. First class is always free please call Don Richard 248-508-7401 with any questions. Phone Post
11/13/12 8:19 PM
DR1
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I meant to say a lot of new students* Phone Post
11/14/12 7:54 PM
seann123
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Www.starsandstrikesmma.com
11/19/12 2:56 PM
RoccCity
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you get a chance stop up at Alliance bjj in port huron. Phone Post
11/21/12 7:19 PM
kickasspoolparty

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll be in contact soon! Phone Post
11/27/12 10:12 AM
dom10
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

H8 squad at Metro family fitness in mt clemens
11/27/12 11:40 AM
BigMike77
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

all three places are good to train with. I think Don has the most in the form of teaching to offer, but Dom is no slouch and James at stares and strikes is a great stand-up striking coach. S&S tend to compete in amateur fights more than the others but that's not saying they go hard all the time. I've trained with James and he treats people the same. You lean quick with him.
just my opinion which is worth is weight in shit. just sayin.
11/28/12 10:35 AM
dom10
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We're mostly a sport team. Couple amatures, couple pro's. fight in some good shows. mostly do submission wrestling and Boxing.
11/28/12 1:07 PM
kickasspoolparty

That helps! Thanks guys! Phone Post
11/29/12 11:41 PM
Sequoyah Sandford
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stars is a good spot alot of diversity good people. Not to mention thats where that sean dunn guy tranes. Phone Post
1/3/13 1:52 AM
Train Judo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trane UFC!
1/4/13 4:02 AM
Hikikomori
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Darren Cruichank calls himself the Detroit Superstar

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.