UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> In-house Insurance Claims Position

11/11/12 8:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
salyer36
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/11/12 9:00 AM

I have an opportunity to take an in-house insurance claims position. I would be doing mostly E&O and eventually maybe D&O. Basically deciding coverage and managing outside counsel.

It's a steady 9-5, no billables, and would be ~20 percent raise. I still won't be where I want salary wise because I am making under-market right now, but it's getting there.

Thoughts? Anyone have a similar gig or know someone that does? Would I be cutting myself off from returning to practicing law? Should I hold out for a better law firm gig? It seems like this is an opportunity to join a big corporation and rise through the ranks.

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.
11/11/12 7:38 PM
WikiTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it's something you like doing I would go for it.

I find it really weird when attorneys takes positions in an area of law that they have no interest. So, if you're just doing it for the money, good pay with shitty work has never made anyone I know happy. That's my two cents.
11/11/12 8:24 PM
salyer36
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's true... the issue is I already don't like what I am doing.

I wanted to do corp/transactional work and I am stuck litigating.
11/12/12 7:43 PM
WikiTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, that sucks. I guess if one is trapped between two crappy choices, the one that is less crappy would be the best choice?

I just envision in-house insurance work to be the paperwork hell for legal professionals.
11/12/12 8:42 PM
salyer36

Well, that sucks. I guess if one is trapped between two crappy choices, the one that is less crappy would be the best choice?"

Haha well said.
11/17/12 11:05 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9-5 sounds good to me...biglaw is overrated

12/13/12 11:19 PM
salyer36

Took the job. Not sure if it's the right decision but I can use the extra cash and my current firm is terrible.

Plan is to either climb the corporate ladder or leave for a better firm in a few years.

Very weird, but soon after I accepted I got a call from a recruiter requesting to send my resume to some white shoe "biglaw" firms. Funny how life works out like that.

12/14/12 12:41 AM
WikiTheWalrus

Congrats.
1/5/13 7:40 PM
salyer36

Yea so this job sucks. Honestly considering going back to my firm already.
1/7/13 12:41 PM

salyer36 - Yea so this job sucks. Honestly considering going back to my firm already.

details

1/7/13 8:51 PM
WikiTheWalrus

Sorry to hear, bro. I would go back if it's an option. I don't think I've ever been in a situation where a job that sucked right away became a job I loved later on. At most, maybe the shitty ones became tolerable.
1/10/13 8:51 PM
salyer36

Edited: 01/10/13 9:43 PM
Details...

So without trying to "out" myself, its basically like a call center, and where I sit everyone walks by me. Terrible spot. I've been working in an office for the past 5 years, so I am having a really hard time getting anything done. And my group is all middle-aged/older women.

Going to be an adjustment for sure.
1/12/13 11:36 AM

seems like minor shit...man up sissy boy

12/4/13 8:34 PM
salyer36

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 

seems like minor shit...man up sissy boy

This was actually great advice.
12/12/13 5:47 PM
east
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got better?  I see a lot of ads for these types of positions.  Would love to hear more about the job.

12/12/13 7:14 PM
salyer36

Nope. It still sucks. But sometimes the best advice is to just man the hell up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.