UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Guy going too hard in sparring... What to do?

11/11/12 2:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheBulgarianAssassin
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yesterday at open mat, I sparred with this guy that was hitting way too hard. Background info- we were of similar weight and skill. It was my first time sparring with that guy. We agreed to spar "light". We wore boxing gloves, shin pads and mouthpieces but no headgear.

So we start sparring, I landed some kicks to the body with good control maybe 60% or 70% power while he throws a few legs kicks at me with clearly more power than I threw my kicks. Still not 100%, maybe he threw them at 80% or 90%. Then half way into the first round, he leaps forward and throws this massive straight right and it hits me right in mouth/nose area. It was with at least 95% power, maybe even 100%. My nose starts bleeding instantly. I'm stunned by it and I remember hearing a ringing in my ears. I recovered from the shot (for the most part) in a second or two and was kinda pissed. The guy didn't say "sorry" or anything to that effect. I was thinking that I'm not gonna stop cuz this is bullshit and we finished out the minute remaining of the round.

After the round, I had blood spatter all over my shirt and arms and there was many blood drops all over the cage. My mouthpiece was all bloody because blood ran down into my nose. I cleaned it all up but was pissed off. After all of that, I sparred the 2nd round with the same guy. He says before the round for us to go "lighter" and I'm like okay. I wasn't trying to get him back but I was throwing a little harder maybe 70% to 80% power now. 2nd round was better because I didn't get punched in the face but he still went slightly harder than I did and threw some hard leg kicks. He also threw a hard head kick or two that woulda fucked me up if I didn't block it.

The rest of the day, I felt different cuz of that punch. Today, I have a headache too. All of that was from one punch because he only punched me in the face once. I've sparred plenty before with guys who don't go that hard and it's not problem if I get punched a buncha times in the face. I was also limping around yesterday (after going home) and today I still feel where he kicked me in legs but it's not too bad and will go away by tomorrow. While the other guy is fine right now because I went "light" even though I hit him more times than he hit me.

I don't think headgear is a good idea because if a guy spars this hard without headgear then he'd be going all out at 100% if I did wear headgear. Also, the headgear wouldn't have helped cuz I got him in the nose/mouth area. So what should I do? Not spar this guy again? Spar him and hit him just as hard? I'm leaning towards not sparring this guy because I can spar people that don't go that hard in sparring, that way I'm not taking brain damage during sparring. Thoughts?
11/11/12 2:21 PM
Subvertir
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/11/12 2:21 PM
Play it all cool for a few weeks, and then rape him.

EDIT: Full penetration
11/11/12 2:22 PM
rnunz
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't read but let him bang IMO. Phone Post
11/11/12 2:23 PM
jdindiana
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
11/11/12 2:25 PM
jarroyo
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just tell him to ease up a bit. Phone Post
11/11/12 2:27 PM
rnunz
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just read. Don't spar that guy. He is going to get himself or someone else injured for not training smart. Phone Post
11/11/12 2:27 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ Lol at that pic. But that guy looks nothing like that. He seems like he'd be cool and not the douche bag kinda guy that wears Tapout/Affliction gear.
11/11/12 2:31 PM
Massa
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Real advice first:

If your head doesn't feel "right" you likely have a light concussion and should see a doctor. Don't spar for at least 2 weeks with anyone.

Tell this guy he was going to hard and gave you the concussion.

UG Version: next time take him down and G&P from mount.
11/11/12 2:40 PM
Joe_Drogan420

I'd tell the guy, don't hit me like that again in light sparring or we're going to be really fighting.

If you don't want to say that, I'd wait a couple weeks. Spar other guys. Then spar him again, if he starts going hard again I'd go just a little bit harder than he is. If he's going 80%, I'd go 90%, etc. Until he gets the point.

Now if he's just more skilled than you are and you left yourself open for a right straight, maybe you just got caught wrong by a superior striker. Perhaps learn from it?
11/11/12 2:46 PM
Darth_Vladar
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

See a doctor, you've got concussion. Phone Post
11/11/12 2:51 PM
NaciVela

I had a similar situation when I was training. Coach paired me with a guy who was a little lighter then me, maybe 5 to 10 pounds. We're sparring and it's not bad, going about 70%. Then he starts trying to land superman punches and spinning backfists, clearing something we don't normally do in sparring. I let him go after the first two, but when he kept throwing hard I turned it up and punished his body. Hard.

I definitely recommend taking a few days off. If you're friends with the guy have a talk with him. If not, say you don't feel comfortable sparring with him if he's gonna be a dick.
11/11/12 3:13 PM
Mike Morris
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's trying to let you bang bro, so you should welcome his invitation and bang his face in for acting like a douche, bro... Phone Post
11/11/12 3:17 PM
DanChow
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/11/12 3:28 PM
I am not reading all that FRAT but anyway, ANYONE who went too hard in sparring with me, I hit them with body shots until they stopped that ignorant shxt!

I have paralyzed people with a left hook to the liver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver_punch

I am a converted southpaw so my left hook is my money punch!

I am ambidextrous* and could throw a softball 100 yards with my right hand too.
11/11/12 3:18 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

Joe_Drogan420 - I'd tell the guy, don't hit me like that again in light sparring or we're going to be really fighting.

If you don't want to say that, I'd wait a couple weeks. Spar other guys. Then spar him again, if he starts going hard again I'd go just a little bit harder than he is. If he's going 80%, I'd go 90%, etc. Until he gets the point.

Now if he's just more skilled than you are and you left yourself open for a right straight, maybe you just got caught wrong by a superior striker. Perhaps learn from it?

I'd say that we were pretty even in skill because I did land a bunch of body kicks, just not all out. I spar to get better and work stuff, not to actually fight.
11/11/12 3:24 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

Massa - Real advice first:

If your head doesn't feel "right" you likely have a light concussion and should see a doctor. Don't spar for at least 2 weeks with anyone.

I've been hit hard before and had my head not feel "right" but that went away. It's been exactly 24 hour now and I still feel like that. I'm not gonna miss training cuz of that shit for 2 weeks. I have a fight coming up in December. Besides, the guys I actually train kickboxing with (at a different gym) actually spar at a good level that's not too hard.
11/11/12 3:26 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

Underscore____________________ -  Are you better on the mat? If so just hard pound his butt there. Phone Post

Yes definitely. The other guy is just a striker; doesn't train jiu jitsu at all to my knowledge. I've been doing BJJ for 4 years and am a purple belt and have many tournaments and shit. Thing is that he doesn't roll or anything and we were doing just standup sparring and not MMA sparring.
11/11/12 3:27 PM
NAGA_JIM

jdindiana -  Phone Post

you know jason "the dark lord spaniard" genova?  he used to work at the supermarket i use

11/11/12 3:36 PM
clown makeup

Take your computer keyboard with you next time and if it happens again, sit down and type him a lengthy email or forum post asking him not to do that...or

open your mouth form some vowels and say "hey settle down, not so hard bud"

11/11/12 3:39 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

Edited: 11/11/12 3:40 PM
I'm not going to the doctor. I might have a light concussion but what is a doctor going to do about that? Also, it's not like I got knocked down and stumbled around or anything like that. For like 2 seconds after the punch, I heard a ringing in my ears and the cage looked like it moved slightly but all of that went away in 2 seconds. In a real fight, a fighter could get hit dozens of times like that. Also I remember pretty clearly what happened before and after.
11/11/12 3:41 PM
time traveling 12er
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The classic method is to put your arms out in the "wtf" jesus pose and just say "dude..."

You can also call Jay Hieron, he can straighten out one of these guys in a hurry I hear.

11/11/12 3:50 PM
DanChow
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheBulgarianAssassin - I'm not going to the doctor. I might have a light concussion but what is a doctor going to do about that? Also, it's not like I got knocked down and stumbled around or anything like that. For like 2 seconds after the punch, I heard a ringing in my ears and the cage looked like it moved slightly but all of that went away in 2 seconds. In a real fight, a fighter could get hit dozens of times like that. Also I remember pretty clearly what happened before and after.

You were concussed.
11/11/12 3:54 PM
jdindiana
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NAGA_JIM -
jdindiana -  Phone Post

you know jason "the dark lord spaniard" genova?  he used to work at the supermarket i use

Everyone knows and aspires to be Jason Genova Phone Post
11/11/12 3:59 PM
gambatte

TheBulgarianAssassin - 
Massa - Real advice first:

I've been hit hard before and had my head not feel "right" but that went away. It's been exactly 24 hour now and I still feel like that. I'm not gonna miss training cuz of that shit for 2 weeks. I have a fight coming up in December. Besides, the guys I actually train kickboxing with (at a different gym) actually spar at a good level that's not too hard.

You currently have a traumatic brain injury. You can choose to either 1) take some time off and recover, see a doctor 2)have permanent brain damage.

Seriously, this is not optional.
11/11/12 4:07 PM
raoulDuke

lol at this thread

hit him back harder
11/11/12 4:07 PM
TheHaunted2

Tuck your chin in Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.