UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Miesha-Rousey didn't have a lot to do w/WMMA start

11/11/12 3:29 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Former Strikeforce women’s champ Miesha Tate was recently interviewed by MMAWeekly Radio, and reminded listeners that Ronda Rousey may be the face of Women's MMA today, but she didn't start it.

“It’s not just Ronda, it’s not just myself, that’s for sure," said Tate. "If Ronda’s coming over to the UFC obviously there’s going to be a division around that, it’s not just Ronda. I know Ronda’s getting a lot of the credit and what not, but she didn’t have a lot to do with from the ground up."

“We’re at the top of the mountain now that’s kind of how I feel anyways, with this accomplishment coming into the UFC, we’ve kind of reached that final goal. But we had to start at the bottom and a lot of the pioneers Tara, Marloes, Molly Helsel, the girls that were really fighting back in the day before we were making any kind of money, or there was any kind of publicity, or much acceptance of it.”

“We were fighting for this, right here, right now. She’s getting a lot of the credit and the limelight, but people who follow the sport understand there was a lot more getting to this point. I hope people can recognize that and give all the women that have worked really hard some credit."

“Our rivalry is very real. I know a lot of people don’t believe that Ronda can’t be beaten, that’s she’s just untouchable, but I beg to differ.

“If I do get that rematch in the UFC, it’s going to be one hell of a fight.”

Read entire article...

11/11/12 3:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kentpaul
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She really is bitter
11/11/12 3:32 PM
chawkins
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meisha Tate comes across as a miserable kind of person. Why can't she just acknowledge someone else's success without having to add qualifying remarks to tear that success down or minimize it?

Very unappealing talk from her since her loss to Ronda.
11/11/12 3:44 PM
Steve4192
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These grapes.

They are sour.

The reality is, the ONLY reason women's MMA is in the UFC is because Dana White loves Ronda Rousey with the burning passion of a thousand suns.  If it weren't for Ronda getting his attention, he wouldn't want any part of it. 

I also find it laugable how Tate always includes herself as a WMMA pioneer.  Women like Jennifer Howe, who were fighting back in the 1990s, were pioneers.  Tate didn't have her first fight until well after the TUF boom.  Someone who turned pro in 2007 is NOT a pioneer.

11/11/12 3:45 PM
hendofanforlife
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jealousy, party of one.
11/11/12 3:52 PM
StrikingMMA
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Miesha's attitude. She isn't backing down and inch even after getting her arm tore up. She's like a pit bull ready to go at it again. This is how fighters should be without all of the glove touching and high fiving.
11/11/12 4:04 PM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronda is a bit like what Tito or Zuffa was to WMMA. Others may be like the Royce or Gracies but Ronda undoubtedly put it out in the mainstream more than anyone else so far. Gina deserves credit too of course.
11/11/12 4:10 PM
rwake
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Surprised (or maybe I shouldn't be) she didn't mention Gina. Maybe because she was kind of like the Rousey before Rousey. Phone Post
11/11/12 4:15 PM
Brandon McGaha

Tate is so damn annoying to me. I feel like I could read comments from Rousey all day even if she's being full of herself and still love her. Tate just comes across as a bitter uptight bitch o_o. I'm hoping some more female talent comes around so she's no longer relevant and I won't have to read these articles. Phone Post
11/11/12 4:21 PM
Brandon McGaha

Ryann Von Doom -
Wasa-B - Ronda is a bit like what Tito or Zuffa was to WMMA. Others may be like the Royce or Gracies but Ronda undoubtedly put it out in the mainstream more than anyone else so far. Gina deserves credit too of course.
Gina did. She was the reason it got mainstream, ronda is riding her coattails. Phone Post
Rousey will be greater than Gina ever was. She's not riding shit. Gina will have her place with hardcore fans but she jumped ship way too quick to start her acting career.. Gina was a pretty face. Rousey has that the skill and personality. Phone Post
11/11/12 4:23 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kentpaul - She really is bitter
And delusional. I don't know how someone can get handled in a few minutes and still incessantly talk about how good a rematch would be. Phone Post
11/11/12 4:35 PM
Chappie
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People can attack Tate all that they want, but her comments are 100% true. People like Christy Martin & Lacia Rijker were pioneers for female combat sports, not Ronda Rousey. In mma, Gina Carano brought far more fans to the sport that Rousey has and the Carano/Santos fight was watched by far more people than all of Ronda's fights combined. Rousey might end up being being one of the greatest fighters ever, but to say that she was one of the pioneers of mma based upon 6 fights and 2 years of participation in the sport is a bit much.
11/11/12 4:37 PM
dogfb
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gina took WMMA to the next level, and now Ronda is taking it further.

11/11/12 4:45 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 11/11/12 4:54 PM

rrrrowrrrr...

This is why female MMA in the UFC will be a hit...  Girls dont need to act... they are just that emotional and they show it.  Look at all those "housewive of orange county, etc..." bullshit.   These fights will sell themselves... the producers have to do very little.

almost every girl is a "chael sonnen" or "micheal bisping" without even trying.  They are all drama bombs waiting to explode.

An All female tuf will be CRAZINESS.

you can have 6 female divisions (145, 135, 125, 115, 105, 95)... the female tuf may  be so successful you're not gonna be able to have a season of only men anymore. 

11/11/12 4:51 PM
boot2thehead

Rhonda is the total package with skill, experience, looks, and a gift for gab. She has brought the attention and has made a commitment to fighting that will keep the sport in the spotlight.

I doubt the day will come that Rhonda will lose then run away to so movies.

Gina was a fabricated promotional figure. Rhonda is a true champion and athlete.

Meisha is bitter. Nobody is disrespecting those that came before Rhonda. She is a new level of female MMA fighter. Thanks to those that came before but its a new world. Phone Post
11/11/12 4:56 PM
MMALOGIC

^ yeah... Gina got her shit pushed in by cyborg then she ran away...  Ronda is a beast.  I dont think she loses easily.

11/11/12 5:01 PM
BispingsBritishWrasslin
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL Miesha STILL has sour grapes

11/11/12 5:03 PM
Bentleysuper8

Chappie - People can attack Tate all that they want, but her comments are 100% true. People like Christy Martin & Lacia Rijker were pioneers for female combat sports, not Ronda Rousey. In mma, Gina Carano brought far more fans to the sport that Rousey has and the Carano/Santos fight was watched by far more people than all of Ronda's fights combined. Rousey might end up being being one of the greatest fighters ever, but to say that she was one of the pioneers of mma based upon 6 fights and 2 years of participation in the sport is a bit much.

Huge Rousey fan and I don't care for Meisha at all but she does speak the correct. There has been a core of tough, relentless women who built the base of WMMA. Like science, Rhonda is standing on the shoulders of giants.

That being said, Rhonda is playing a HUGE part in propelling WMMA to a new level. Can't wait to see her destroy Meisha's other arm.
11/11/12 5:04 PM
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/11/12 5:05 PM
MMALOGIC - 

^ yeah... Gina got her shit pushed in by cyborg then she ran away...  Ronda is a beast.  I dont think she loses easily.

Tate is being bitter...... But Gina fought a roided out cyborg at 145lbs which Rousey wont do...............This goes for both posters above me. Show some respect for Gina she was much more than a pretty face.  So that i don't get Banned for fighter bashing I will say this carefully. In my own opinion Mr. Brian Wright I think Gina with just her looks and no skill as you say would hand you your ass in the cage. Just saying >.>

11/11/12 5:10 PM
Chris27

She can say whatever she wants by everyone knows the ONLY, ONLY reason women will fight in the UFC is because of Ronda.

If Ronda wasnt the champ, never came into this sport or lost a few fights and the title already they wouldnt be moving over to the UFC.

Ronda didnt start wmma but she is the sole reason its coming to the UFC.

11/11/12 5:12 PM
Chris27

Tate is so bitter and jealous of Ronda is crazy.

Before Ronda Tate was the chick, oh look at me I'm hot, let me stick my ass out so everyone can drool over it, I'm teh pretty hot champ.

Now Ronda came out, looks, personality, skill, breaks arms, beat Tate, cover of mags, TMZ spots, Dana loving her, that pisses Tate off that she isnt the one getting all the love and attention.

11/11/12 5:14 PM
iDaz
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hendofanforlife - Jealousy, party of one.
LOL Phone Post
11/11/12 5:27 PM
JoelN
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BispingsBritishWrasslin - LOL Miesha STILL has sour grapes

I like Miesha's grapes......but I'm not sure how I feel about what she said.

11/11/12 5:37 PM
UGCTT_zackthewop
273 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

A beast that won't even fight cyborg Phone Post
11/11/12 5:49 PM
demonsurge
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gina is the reason why people even cared about WMMA.

Rowdy is why WMMA is in the UFC.

Some people might be first, but it takes a special kind of person to carry a torch and make it last.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.