UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Post a good Beginner Ab Workout Routine.

11/11/12 4:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in desperate need of an Ab routine. I don't know that much about exercising the abdominals apart from the basics (Sit ups, crunches etc).

I go to the gym on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. On Tuesdays and Thursdays (or Fridays, depends how I feel) I will go for a run in the morning and do some Ab work later in the day. I feel like if I had a good Ab routine then I would get a lot more out of my workouts. Also, I could easily up the number of times I work my abs from two to three times a week if need be.

I would still classify myself as a beginner though so try to keep the exercises simple and if possible doable without any equipment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and rewarded with vote ups! :) Phone Post
11/11/12 4:11 PM
vermonter
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pullups, squats (single leg and two leg), dips/pushups.

Those are mostly what you need.
11/11/12 4:24 PM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter - Pullups, squats (single leg and two leg), dips/pushups.

Those are mostly what you need.

I'm already doing lots of squats at the gym so thats good.

I'll try to incorporate some pullups, dips and pushups into my workouts, thanks!

11/11/12 8:30 PM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay

TTT Phone Post
11/12/12 5:21 AM
beatbum
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Abs? My two favorite for lower abs are hanging leg lifts and reverse crunches on an incline bench:

For upper, try bench crunches (upper body slightly hangs off bench, anchor feet. And also machine crunches where you are seated and you add weight, pushing down on a bar with your arms.

Obliques; side planks with a weighted ball, raising and lowering the body every second x 30 seconds

11/12/12 5:26 AM
beatbum
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bench crunches:

11/12/12 1:18 PM
Hypnos
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although you mentioned you'd like a routine without any equipment, Im still going to throw out my recommendation. Get yourself an Ab-wheel; I love the Ab-wheel and get great results from it. Also, you can do windshield wipers which are a great rotational exercise. Thirdly, I'd recommend getting some home made parallettes to start working on L-sits. Ill post a link to the website on how to make them. You can take the measurements to Home Depot and they'll cut them for you on the spot. Very simple yet effective! You can do a lot of other things with those too.

http://www.fitstream.com/articles/make-your-own-parallettes-a112 Phone Post
11/12/12 1:43 PM
Badmonkey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to this page and scroll to the bottom.

The last page has a general ab program with photos and everything; i use to do a set of hanging leg raises (feet to hands) and then jump into this routine and finish it as quickly as possible... helped me out a great deal with jiujitsu and keeping an active guard.

http://www.pdfpedia.com/download/6119/javorek-complex-conditioning-pdf.html
11/12/12 6:30 PM
Tilla

Med-Ball twist/throws.

11/13/12 2:19 AM
dizz
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't really do abs other than squatting, pushups, and pullups, but I enjoy planks Phone Post
11/13/12 8:52 PM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hypnos -  Although you mentioned you'd like a routine without any equipment, Im still going to throw out my recommendation. Get yourself an Ab-wheel; I love the Ab-wheel and get great results from it. Also, you can do windshield wipers which are a great rotational exercise. Thirdly, I'd recommend getting some home made parallettes to start working on L-sits. Ill post a link to the website on how to make them. You can take the measurements to Home Depot and they'll cut them for you on the spot. Very simple yet effective! You can do a lot of other things with those too.

http://www.fitstream.com/articles/make-your-own-parallettes-a112 Phone Post

I learnt to do L-sits without needing paralettes. Beastskills has a good tutorial on how to get started using no equipment.
11/14/12 12:01 AM
orcus

Planks

11/14/12 2:13 AM
beatbum

I love Planks too. I do "Plank Madness". 30 seconds each side, raise/lower hips with a weighted ball 1x second. 2 rounds.
11/14/12 6:24 AM
Leigh
757 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As stated, squats and other compound lifts.

Sit ups are for girls
11/14/12 10:23 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay

Leigh - As stated, squats and other compound lifts.

Sit ups are for girls
As you can probably tell I'm not a genius when it comes to this stuff.

I figured squats only worked my legs because I don't feel them anywhere else, but I guess I was wrong lol. Phone Post
11/14/12 10:50 AM
vermonter
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 

Sit ups are for girls

I figured squats only worked my legs because I don't feel them anywhere else, but I guess I was wrong lol. Phone Post

The abs perform mainly a stabilizing role for the spine, engage a small range of motion, and assist in pressurizing the abdominal cavity. This means the abs get worked well with any full body movement. For strength and stability they don't typically need any direct work, especially not the type you see commercially.
11/14/12 1:14 PM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay

vermonter -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 

Sit ups are for girls

The abs perform mainly a stabilizing role for the spine, engage a small range of motion, and assist in pressurizing the abdominal cavity. This means the abs get worked well with any full body movement. For strength and stability they don't typically need any direct work, especially not the type you see commercially.
Wow. Did not know that.

Thanks! I've always been interested in stuff like this. Phone Post
11/14/12 1:25 PM
vermonter

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 
vermonter -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 

Sit ups are for girls

Wow. Did not know that.

Thanks! I've always been interested in stuff like this. Phone Post

No prob.

As an example, my abs often get sore from pull ups. They work hard while hanging to keep your spine in the proper position. So although there's no active movement being caused by the abs, they are still getting a workout in.
11/15/12 4:35 AM
BazUK

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_secret_of_loaded_carries
11/15/12 5:05 AM
Leigh
757 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 

Sit ups are for girls

No worries, I know that squats for legs makes logical sense.
11/15/12 5:14 AM
Tilla

The OP wants a beginner AB workout and you recommend him to Squat? Just do an AB routine!

I know the benefits of Squatting, but if somebody is asking for a beginner workout for their AB'S I wouldn't recommend a move like the Squat.
11/15/12 5:29 AM
Leigh

Your recommendation would not be as effective as squatting. Beginners should squat. They don't need to specific ab exercises on top
11/15/12 6:41 AM
Tilla

Beginners should Squat? The Squat is the EASIEST move to get wrong, by far. And to risk bad form/hurting yourself for a 6-pack is pretty silly.

Planks, Wood-Chops, Med Ball throws and twists = Nothing else needed for a beginner.

If the OP is just looking for beach muscles/the model look, then Just follow a simple Ab routine (not compound movements).
11/15/12 6:51 AM
Leigh

Yes beginners should squat. Planks, wood chops, twists etc are for girls.
11/15/12 6:51 AM
Tilla

Soz hard.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.