UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Post a good Beginner Ab Workout Routine.

11/15/12 6:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - Beginners should Squat? The Squat is the EASIEST move to get wrong, by far. And to risk bad form/hurting yourself for a 6-pack is pretty silly.

Planks, Wood-Chops, Med Ball throws and twists = Nothing else needed for a beginner.

If the OP is just looking for beach muscles/the model look, then Just follow a simple Ab routine (not compound movements).
I'm not looking for "Beach Muscles" I genuinely want to get stronger.

My form when squatting is actually OK. Phone Post
11/15/12 10:53 AM
vermonter
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - Beginners should Squat? The Squat is the EASIEST move to get wrong, by far. And to risk bad form/hurting yourself for a 6-pack is pretty silly.

Planks, Wood-Chops, Med Ball throws and twists = Nothing else needed for a beginner.

If the OP is just looking for beach muscles/the model look, then Just follow a simple Ab routine (not compound movements).

Hmm...

How many years of not squatting is required before squatting?
11/15/12 10:55 AM
vermonter
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 
Tilla - Beginners should Squat? The Squat is the EASIEST move to get wrong, by far. And to risk bad form/hurting yourself for a 6-pack is pretty silly.

If you do a lot of heavy compound work your abs will be strong. If you want them to show off for the ladies (nothing wrong with it, since the ladies are the only real point of doing anything at all) then do compound lifts and keep your body fat at 10% or less.

It really is pretty simple :)
11/15/12 11:16 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 

If you do a lot of heavy compound work your abs will be strong. If you want them to show off for the ladies (nothing wrong with it, since the ladies are the only real point of doing anything at all) then do compound lifts and keep your body fat at 10% or less.

Easier said that done lol.

I don't think my Body Fat has ever been below 10% lol! I've lost a lot of weight in the past couple months (been following the Paleo Diet, Gym three times a week and running in the morning twice a week) and I've lost a lot of inches. My shoulders, chest, legs have all visibly thin out but my gut is still there, don't get me wrong it has shrunk but it's gradually decreasing.

Hopefully if I just keep plugging away then I will eventually see some serious results... Phone Post
11/15/12 11:27 AM
vermonter

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 
vermonter -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 

Easier said that done lol.

I don't think my Body Fat has ever been below 10% lol! I've lost a lot of weight in the past couple months (been following the Paleo Diet, Gym three times a week and running in the morning twice a week) and I've lost a lot of inches. My shoulders, chest, legs have all visibly thin out but my gut is still there, don't get me wrong it has shrunk but it's gradually decreasing.

Hopefully if I just keep plugging away then I will eventually see some serious results... Phone Post

I often choose my words carefully. Simple and easy are two different things as you have discovered. I just want you to know that as progress wanes it isn't because you need ever more complex methods, but simply more effort. If you want to look and perform better than everyone else, you need to be willing to do things that everyone else is not.

You'll get there. A goal helps. Decide where you want to be and fight tooth and nail to get there. Also search for the "king of pullups" thread and join in. If you can come anywhere near the top of that contest and work on fighting your craving for bad food and lots of it, you'll be strong as hell, you'll look good, and you'll be in good health.
11/26/12 2:45 AM
puss'nmitts
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I stopped doing ab exercises many years ago and have managed to keep my abs defined with a good diet, lots of BJJ/muay thai, and mostly bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups, dips, squats). Decided to add some abs back into the routine recently, so started doing one set of pikes at the end of my bodyweight workout twice a week. It hits the upper and lower abs, requires no equipment, and you don't need a ton of reps to get a good burn. Whether or not isolation ab work is beneficial or even necessary, I can't say, but if you are looking for an ab exercise with no equipment you could give pikes a try.

This video shows how to do it. Going slow seems to make it harder. Best of luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ6aTONDOZw
11/26/12 2:23 PM
spidermanik
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm following wendlers 531 and of all the assistance exercises hanging leg raises has the longest lasting doms for me!

I don't have abs as I'm in a bit of a bulk phase (gone from 68kgs to 76kgs in three months!) but when I cut my carbs the effect of the hlr will be there! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.