UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> New York's Alright (if you like saxophones)

11/11/12 8:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/11/12 8:20 PM

Inspired (sort of) by my home town. Really inspired by DasBeaver's posting of a tune by the Dictators... which this is NOT.... Just like this is NOT about guitar solos. No...

This is FEAR

11/11/12 11:29 PM
jman
538 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol, that's awesome..."New York's Alright..if you're a homosexual"
11/12/12 10:06 AM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I figured that would be the first line anyone pointed out... That's Lee Ving, getting his Political Correctness on.
11/13/12 8:38 PM
whaledog
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love that song and that album.

What's funny is that I hadn't heard it in along time, but a friend just posted it on Facebook the other day.

11/13/12 9:05 PM
Ali

Whoa, Facebook... I used to have an account...

That is funny timing. I don't have the album. Maybe I need to grab it, if you dig the rest of it, too.
11/14/12 7:34 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome! I remember seeing them for the first time on SNL and being pretty freaked out.

11/14/12 12:01 PM
whaledog
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/14/12 12:43 PM
Ali - Whoa, Facebook... I used to have an account...

That is funny timing. I don't have the album. Maybe I need to grab it, if you dig the rest of it, too.

I love it.

But, then again, I've loved it since 8th grade.  So it's kinda hard to imagine how it would sound to "new" ears.

If you dig hardcore punk, then you''ll probably dig it.

11/14/12 9:28 PM
Ali

Thanks, whaledog. I pretty much knew their second (I think) record only, "More Beer". And even that, not really. I was an East-coast guy... this was not "my" punk. I didn't know about The Germs, either.... and caught on to Black Flag and Circle Jerks et al, late.
11/15/12 1:59 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was the same for me, aside from the DKs I got around to West Coast punk kind of late.
11/18/12 9:34 PM
Majic Sam
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Almighty Scott Thunes (Zappa's last bassist)used to play for FEAR (probably cuz nobody else in LA would touch him).Scott called FEAR "the scourge of rock and roll".I would have to agree.
11/21/12 12:42 PM
hugomma
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DasBeaver - It was the same for me, aside from the DKs I got around to West Coast punk kind of late.

Me too.  I was all about Bad Brains, The Misfits, & Murphy's Law as a kid.  Lately though it's been lots of DK & Black Flag.  This will be a fun thread to dive into.

11/21/12 9:37 PM
hugomma
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, those guys were great.  Just acquired "The Record" after hearing all these tracks & acquiring "More Beer" as we speak.  Love the opening riff & the tempo changes.

11/21/12 9:53 PM
Ali

Majic Sam - The Almighty Scott Thunes (Zappa's last bassist)used to play for FEAR (probably cuz nobody else in LA would touch him).Scott called FEAR "the scourge of rock and roll".I would have to agree.

I knew that... it was because of Thunes that I got curious about just what it was these guys were on about... !
11/23/12 9:13 AM
DasBeaver

11/23/12 9:27 AM
DasBeaver

I couldn't find that great clip of them baiting the audience from the Decline of Western Civilization. On that note, here's a great before and after starring WASP's Chris Holmes.

11/30/12 1:51 AM
Ali

So what's up with that Impossible Dream???? That's really surprising... was Lee Ving on a episode of "Fame: the Series" or whatever it was called??
11/30/12 11:06 AM
hugomma

That version of "Impossible Dream" was awesome.  Went to Wiki & read that Lee Ving sang country and blues.  He played in Sweet Stavin Chain Blues Band with friggin' Michael Brecker, too.

Check THIS out...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.