UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Matt Hughes: GSP beats Silva

11/12/12 9:24 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
910 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Matt Hughes recently appeared on BJPennDotCom Radio and discussed Saturday's GSP vs. Carlos Condit, and the looming superfight with Anderson Silva that could follow it.

“GSP has a tough fight coming up against Condit on the 17th, but if he has got his timing down I think he will get his hand raised that night,” said Hughes. “I’m not sure what Condit can do to have his hand raised, I don’t know what kind of game plan he can come up with. To be honest with you I don’t think Condit has the necessary tools to beat St. Pierre.”

“I really believe if GSP and Silva fight Georges will have his hand raised. I have a lot of respect for Georges having lost to him twice. GSP is not a great wrestler, but he transitions so well from striking to wrestling that he will be on Silva’s legs before Anderson even knows what’s going on. I believe Georges is that quick and I don’t think Silva will be able to do a whole lot with Georges on top of him.”

“Georges is going to be in great shape, he always is and I don’t think Silva would be able to use his weight advantage on GSP to try and tire him out. If anyone will get tired I think it will be Silva because he’s not going to be in the positions he wants to be in. Georges will put him in some bad situations and I think GSP will do well in the fight and walk away the winner.”

“If I was Georges I would tell the UFC if they want to make this fight between the two of them they should contest it at 185lbs. and Silva should put his title on the line. If Georges is going to fight Silva he might as well add the additional weight and try and get a belt out of the deal. That’s the way I would look at it, the price for me would be an opportunity to unify the two titles. I just wonder how long GSP would need to get his body prepared to make the move to 185 would it be a year off. It would be interesting to see how much time he would want. I wonder how hard his cut to 170 is, if he’s having a hard time then maybe it’s time to move up to 185.”

Read entire article...

11/12/12 9:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BooZe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting... Phone Post
11/12/12 9:32 AM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

At least SOMEONE has confidence in GSP. 

11/12/12 9:35 AM
Foob
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

agreed
11/12/12 9:39 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/12/12 9:39 AM

He said that GSP is not a great wrestler. The guy has been training with the Canadian Olympic Team for over 10 years. I'm sure that GSP's wrestling is at least good. I doubt he would have thought about trying out for the Canadian team, for a second, if he didn't think he could compete on a world level.

11/12/12 9:44 AM
le

First time I've ever agreed with Matt Hughes entirely. Especially regarding the fight being at 185. Silva is bigger, and calling out GSP, let Silva take the risk with his belt on the line. Phone Post
11/12/12 9:47 AM
ortman166

Haha, no. Phone Post
11/12/12 9:50 AM
ortman166

Gentle George's wouldn't make it out of the 2nd round, he might be able to hug his way out of the 1st but I don't even know about that... Phone Post
11/12/12 9:53 AM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

le -  First time I've ever agreed with Matt Hughes entirely. Especially regarding the fight being at 185. Silva is bigger, and calling out GSP, let Silva take the risk with his belt on the line. Phone Post

Anderson seems to prefeer 185 as well, but Georges has had so many chances, and so many years now to say yes to that Anderson has no choice but to offer a catchweight. GSP, despite saying it was his goal a few years back, is no longer moving up to 185. 

11/12/12 9:53 AM
Arecsa
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Hughes is the new Randy Couture when it comes to predicting fights. Anderson will hurt GSP, badly.
11/12/12 10:13 AM
Stu Cazzo

Sounds like it's going to happen.  Not sure who wins but I would love to see it.

11/12/12 10:14 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, Matt....

GSP is not a good wrestler.....

Go pound your brother behind the barn.
11/12/12 10:17 AM
Big Pun
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just wonder where GSP is mentally right now. It has got to be really hard to come back from those levels of injuries and step right back into top competition. I mean if a pro football player missed an entire season and the preseason games, would you expect him at top performance when he stepped back onto the field? Post surgery physical problems aside, GSP will have alot of mental roadblocks along his path as well. I'm not doubting him btw, just curious about his journey. I hope he will talk about the obstacles he faced after the fight is over. I'm always curious about these things.
11/12/12 10:18 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up - 
le -  First time I've ever agreed with Matt Hughes entirely. Especially regarding the fight being at 185. Silva is bigger, and calling out GSP, let Silva take the risk with his belt on the line. Phone Post

Anderson seems to prefeer 185 as well, but Georges has had so many chances, and so many years now to say yes to that Anderson has no choice but to offer a catchweight. GSP, despite saying it was his goal a few years back, is no longer moving up to 185. 

This fight would have happened already but they brought Shields in then Diaz, and with the injury it just hasn't worked out. There have always been new challengers right when it looked like the division was cleaned out
11/12/12 10:19 AM
MagSlim

I laughed when I saw that preview for the UFC tv program where Glazer interviews the Welterweights.....know who's missing from that roundtable -- Matt Hughes.

No one wants to hear your smug ass opinion Matt. You were a great fighter but being well liked has always eluded you. Stick to being a farmer.
11/12/12 10:19 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

Goderson Silva - I wonder why he's saying this... herp derp

I agree, getting dominated twice by someone can make you prejudiced but to say GSP isn't a great wrestler is a little extreme
11/12/12 10:25 AM
ufc98newb
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - 
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up - 

This fight would have happened already but they brought Shields in then Diaz, and with the injury it just hasn't worked out. There have always been new challengers right when it looked like the division was cleaned out

they can call anybody they want a challenger, but in all honesty, pre-injury neither of those guys had better than a 1/15 chance to beat GSP. we'll see if GSP is still a level above the competition, this weekend. If he is the GSP of old, fights against guys like Hendricks do not need to take precedence over a superfight.

11/12/12 10:32 AM
xXJayRobXx
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the fight could easily go either way to be honest. If chael could put Anderson on his back then Forsure GSP could too. The only difference being that GSP has a much better top game then Chael and a better chance of landing some effective ground and pound. I think once people see how he performs against Condit then we will get a better idea of how that fight would go. I notice that a good portion of the underground only really focuses on people's most recent performances and since GSP hast been around for a long time and is coming back from injury lots of people are hesitant to put any faith in him, where as Anderson has been laying the smack down on everyone and its much fresher in our minds so it seems like the choice is trivial. Phone Post
11/12/12 10:49 AM
Stu Cazzo

MagSlim - I laughed when I saw that preview for the UFC tv program where Glazer interviews the Welterweights.....know who's missing from that roundtable -- Matt Hughes.

No one wants to hear your smug ass opinion Matt. You were a great fighter but being well liked has always eluded you. Stick to being a farmer.

Nobody wants to hear his opinion.......except for you - good job opening the thread chopper.

11/12/12 10:51 AM
ortman166

^^ For the record I think gsp runs through condit, he just has nothing for Anderson never did never will, he will not take that fight, Phone Post
11/12/12 11:23 AM
imesser

I don't think GSP wants to fight Anderson. I really want to see the GSP vs Diaz fight in 2013!!
11/12/12 11:26 AM
Entreri

If GSP was of Sonnen's size, 10/10 times he beats Anderson. His style is perfectly suited for defeating Anderson.

I think Anderson is too big at 185, but if GSP has not lost anything since his surgery, he certainly has a better chance than the vast majority of MW's.
11/12/12 11:27 AM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

imesser - I don't think GSP wants to fight Anderson. I really want to see the GSP vs Diaz fight in 2013!!

If this is true, and they don't end up fighting I too would want to see Diaz vs GSP. Don't you think he should have to at least win a fight first though? Wther a rematch with Condit or a different challenger?

11/12/12 11:28 AM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

Entreri - If GSP was of Sonnen's size, 10/10 times he beats Anderson. His style is perfectly suited for defeating Anderson.

I think Anderson is too big at 185, but if GSP has not lost anything since his surgery, he certainly has a better chance than the vast majority of MW's.

If Anderson were as heavy as Sonnen along with GSP, that is an epic fight where either can win. Just like if they met at 177.5 since they would both be ~195 in the cage. Sonnen had 17-20 pounds on Silva just FYI.

11/12/12 11:30 AM
imesser

imesser - I don't think GSP wants to fight Anderson. I really want to see the GSP vs Diaz fight in 2013!!

If this is true, and they don't end up fighting I too would want to see Diaz vs GSP. Don't you think he should have to at least win a fight first though? Wther a rematch with Condit or a different challenger?

Yeah I would like to see Koscheck vs Diaz...Koscheck has already started that trash talking...he told Diaz "dont be scared homie" haha

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.