UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> (OG100K) C# Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
11/12/12 11:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
theseanster
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/01/13 10:58 AM

Over the next week I'm going to start putting together and fleshing out an outline for getting OGers set to hit the ground running writing Web-applications using the Microsoft stack. I'm going to start with taking everyone from "square 1" since we have a lot of people that have had no exposure to programming.

For now, this is a nice little gem as far as free training materials go. I'd like everyone to start off with this:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C-Sharp-Fundamentals-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners 

I will be frequenting the IT Forum to help out. Also if you would like to get a hold of me, I have a Gmail account specifically to help answer questions and whatever you need to get through the materials I post:

ogdeveloper@gmail.com

I work during the day PST and have a long commute, but I will do my best to reply quickly.

The software you will need to get started is located at the following URL

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-express-windows-desktop

theseanster
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/13/12 11:29 AM

So a couple of quick notes to avoid confusion. The .NET Framework is what your C# applications are built on top of. The framework provides "services" in various libraries that allow you to basically do "everything" such as save files, read from databases, security, etc. This is true regardless of whether you are building Web, Desktop, or Background Services for Windows (or even console apps).

The important thing to remember here is that your C# apps run on top of the .net framework. The current version is 4.5. There's been a lot of changes since 1.0, so the framework is pretty huge.

The framework is composed of two basic things:
Common Language Runtime (CLR) - execution environment such as JIT for hardware and OS independence, memory management (GC), security. Key thing to remember is that C# is compiled down to something called common intermediate language (IL) which is sort of like an assembly language and then just in time (JIT) compiled at run-time into native code. I'm simplifiying somewhat.

The Framework Class Library (FCL) - This is all of the libraries used to write your code: input/output (IO), convert data types, etc. ASP.NET is part of this library and that's the part that I'm going to focus on to help you guys learn Web programming with C#.
theseanster

Edited: 11/14/12 11:39 PM

Visual Studio Express to do the video exercises:

SQL Server Express
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh230763.asp

11/12/12 12:11 PM
thepriest555
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub.
11/12/12 12:22 PM
Man vs Net
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for taking the time to do this, email sent. 

11/12/12 1:29 PM
Deepy
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subbed
11/12/12 1:59 PM
mygodthisMMA
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub

11/12/12 3:53 PM
JediJitsu
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this, it really is awesome. 

Can I call you Sean?

11/12/12 4:21 PM
Barbartha
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in!

11/12/12 4:42 PM
3rdLion
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subbed
11/12/12 5:18 PM
shaman19
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subbed
11/12/12 5:43 PM
theseanster

I forgot to post the links to SQL Server Express 2012 and Visual Studio express to go along with the videos.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh230763.aspx Phone Post
11/12/12 6:28 PM
mclay
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Email sent and will go over the site in this thread.

Thx!! Phone Post
11/12/12 6:29 PM
mclay
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My gawd your VTFU should be through the roof! Plus 3...

11/12/12 6:43 PM
fasthandssam
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

very cool thanks for taking the time!
11/12/12 7:25 PM
redwhiteandblues
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thx Sean!
11/12/12 7:27 PM
Barbartha
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theseanster - 

Over the next week I'm going to start putting together and fleshing out an outline for getting OGers set to hit the ground running writing Web-applications using the Microsoft stack. I'm going to start with taking everyone from "square 1" since we have a lot of people that have had no exposure to programming.

For now, this is a nice little gem as far as free training materials go. I'd like everyone to start off with this:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C-Sharp-Fundamentals-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners 

I will be frequenting the IT Forum to help out. Also if you would like to get a hold of me, I have a Gmail account specifically to help answer questions and whatever you need to get through the materials I post:

ogdeveloper@gmail.com

I work during the day PST and have a long commute, but I will do my best to reply quickly.

More to come....

I'll be studying this tomorrow at work.

11/12/12 7:42 PM
JediJitsu
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just voted you up as well!

11/12/12 8:00 PM
QtChristian
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VTFU! And thanks
11/12/12 8:15 PM
redwhiteandblues
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sean, are you the same guy who used to post pics of gf's or models you dated years ago on the OG??????? maybe i'm thinking of another guy.
11/12/12 8:31 PM
theseanster

redwhiteandblues - Sean, are you the same guy who used to post pics of gf's or models you dated years ago on the OG??????? maybe i'm thinking of another guy.
lol no. Been married 13 years. She's beautiful but no model. :) Phone Post
11/12/12 9:06 PM
JediJitsu

Sean, I believe I'm ready to go.

Just got home, backed up my data and installed Parallel 8 with Windows 8. Waiting for the Visual Studio to finish downloading and I think I'm in business!

If so, I'll get going on those lessons you linked. Phone Post
11/12/12 10:38 PM
MrWillyWonka
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub'd! Thank you for doing this!
11/12/12 10:56 PM
theseanster

JediJitsu - Sean, I believe I'm ready to go.

Just got home, backed up my data and installed Parallel 8 with Windows 8. Waiting for the Visual Studio to finish downloading and I think I'm in business!

If so, I'll get going on those lessons you linked. Phone Post
Nice! This is definitely from the ground up. Once we get some basic programming constructs i will go into pragmatic use of OOP and we can get started on basic web development. This gig is 80% data in, data out so we will go through basic SQL as well. This is a great starting point though, and we can adapt as necessary Phone Post
11/12/12 11:17 PM
SMS89
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In, and I just wanted to send a sincere thank you for proving that my fellow Seans are extremely awesome (Same name, different spelling)
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.