UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> (OG100K) C# Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners

11/12/12 11:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JediJitsu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theseanster -
JediJitsu - Sean, I believe I'm ready to go.

Just got home, backed up my data and installed Parallel 8 with Windows 8. Waiting for the Visual Studio to finish downloading and I think I'm in business!

If so, I'll get going on those lessons you linked. Phone Post
Nice! This is definitely from the ground up. Once we get some basic programming constructs i will go into pragmatic use of OOP and we can get started on basic web development. This gig is 80% data in, data out so we will go through basic SQL as well. This is a great starting point though, and we can adapt as necessary Phone Post
Awesome, sounds great.

Unfortunately, I ran into some trouble.

I'm livid with the guy at Staples. I told him everything I was trying to do.

I told him I had a Mac, and I needed to be able to run Windows 7 on it via Boot Camp. He said Windows 7 were all taken off the shelf and weren't available following the release of 8, and that all they had was 8. So then I tell him that Boot Camp won't run 8, and he recommends me this Parallel 8 for $70.

So I leave with Parallel 8 and Windows 8 and $160 less money in the bank.

4 hours later, and I end up on the phone with Microsoft and am told Window 8 is not a base OS and that I need Windows 7 as a base before 8 will work (another $70). This guy knew this wouldn't work and let me walk out with "upgrade only" Windows 8. I'm so pissed right now, and if they were still open I would go demand a refund.

The guy was a CS dropout too and was very knowledgable, so he had to know.

Any suggestions? Phone Post
11/13/12 12:03 AM
JediJitsu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well the Parallel would have worked great, it opens and runs Windows in a window while you are in OSX, and you can even drag and drop files between OS' and it auto converts. No rebooting or anything.

The Parallel is great, but the W8 won't let me do anything without a valid "Activation Code". The Microsoft customer support told me that the activation code would not work because I didn't have a "base Windows" OS first.

So basically, my Windows 8 is worthless. She did say that Staples had to give me a full refund, though, because they are fully aware of the requirement and the guy helping me knew I was doing a clean install.

I'm just disappointed because money is so tight, and I would only make such an expense on something that furthers my
job/career/education goals.

Additionally, I was quite excited and ready to get going with those C# vids.

: (

Is there a way I can get a valid Windows 7 with activation code for free? I have no idea how to pirate anything, and I've never used torrents or whatever (scared of viruses and don't know how, anyways.)

Any help would be great. Phone Post
11/13/12 10:38 AM
mugumuchu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks a million..

There is a place in heaven for people like you... if you believe in such place existed.
11/13/12 10:56 AM
theseanster
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jedi - sent you an email Phone Post
11/13/12 11:02 AM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in!  Thank you for the opportunity.

11/13/12 11:20 AM
theseanster
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/13/12 11:20 AM

There might be another option for Mac users

http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Here's the problem: I'm not familiar with using mono and I don't know how close the video instructions would be as far as explaining the debugger and other things in the IDE. I could install it this weekend and give it a try if there is enough interest.

Let me know

11/13/12 11:31 AM
theseanster

Also, I backfilled part of one of the reserved posts I made at the top to clarify some on some of these videos.

Just some quick explaination to explain how the environment works and what it is composed of.

11/13/12 11:36 AM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

11/13/12 12:50 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

TTT
11/13/12 2:46 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

theseanster - 
JediJitsu - Sean, I believe I'm ready to go.

Just got home, backed up my data and installed Parallel 8 with Windows 8. Waiting for the Visual Studio to finish downloading and I think I'm in business!

If so, I'll get going on those lessons you linked. Phone Post
Nice! This is definitely from the ground up. Once we get some basic programming constructs i will go into pragmatic use of OOP and we can get started on basic web development. This gig is 80% data in, data out so we will go through basic SQL as well. This is a great starting point though, and we can adapt as necessary Phone Post

Ok, I'm a little behind.  I watched the first 2 videos of that series and was about to DL the Visual Studio program when I saw this.  Do I need to back up my data and install "Parallel 8"?  I didn't see that anywhere in the vids or in this thread.

Sorry if this was covered somewhere else.

11/13/12 2:48 PM
theseanster

Sorry, I don't know much about Mac installations with bootting Windows. I take it you're on a Mac.

11/13/12 2:51 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

Nevermind, I did miss it.  I am running a PC with Windows.

11/13/12 3:27 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

I just created my first application!  WOOT!

11/14/12 8:13 PM
JediJitsu

Tom O'BentOverByFitch -

I just created my first application!  WOOT!

Awesome! Keep it up! Phone Post
11/15/12 1:20 PM
JediJitsu

Nope, took back Windows 8 and Parallels and got my $165 back.

I'm considering slapping a PC on the Best Buy card, one that would get me through my college courses along with what we are all doing here. Currently trying to get the wife's approval.

I won't give up, though. Phone Post
11/15/12 6:11 PM
JediJitsu

B17 -
JediJitsu - Nope, took back Windows 8 and Parallels and got my $165 back.

I'm considering slapping a PC on the Best Buy card, one that would get me through my college courses along with what we are all doing here. Currently trying to get the wife's approval.

I won't give up, though. Phone Post
As a student who used to own a Mac I can tell you a PC purchase is worth it. Get a decent Asus for 3-400 and it will last a good long while. Phone Post
Thanks bro, I'll be catching up to y'all soon. Phone Post
11/15/12 9:05 PM
JediJitsu

That seems like a hell of a deal, thank you.
I'll be heading to BB to check that out Saturday. Phone Post
11/17/12 12:29 AM
theseanster

B17 - method - class - namespace

and a method can belong to a class within the method itself, like WriteLine, right?

Not sure what you mean by "within the method itself" but I think you get it.

A class can belong to a namespace. A namespace is just a way to prevent naming collisions and categorize things.  A method is an "action" you define for a class. For example you might have a class named "Dog" with a method named "Bark".

So let's say you want to make a class called Engine in multiple places, we can categorize two different Engine classes within namespaces. Maybe you are making an Engine for a car, and an Engine for a jet.

Code Snippet
  1. namespace AcmeSoftware.JetDivision {
  2.     public class Engine {
  3.         static public void Construct() { }
  4.     }
  5. }
  7. namespace AcmeSoftware.AutomotiveDivision {
  8.     public class Engine {
  9.         static public void Construct() { }
  10.     }
  11. }
  13. namespace AcmeSoftware {
  14.     class Program {
  15.         static void Main(string[] args) {
  17.             //Use Engine class Construct method in the namespace AcmeSoftware.AutomotiveDivision
  18.             AcmeSoftware.AutomotiveDivision.Engine.Construct();
  20.             //Use Engine class Construct method in the namespace AcmeSoftware.JetDivision
  21.             AcmeSoftware.JetDivision.Engine.Construct();
  22.         }
  23.     }
  24. }
11/20/12 9:03 AM
purist
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In
11/20/12 10:45 AM
theseanster

How is everyone doing so far? Email if you have any trouble, I'll check as often as I can. Gonna be a little hectic with the holiday this week, but feel free.

Happy programming!

11/20/12 10:52 AM
jar of flies
807 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gonna go back and catch up after I finish some work.
11/20/12 10:56 AM
El_Clap
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
11/20/12 11:25 AM
temp226208
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In.
11/20/12 1:22 PM
WriteBelt
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for later

11/20/12 4:22 PM
DaddyRich
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Thanks for posting this.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.