UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> (OG100K) C# Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners

11/20/12 8:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JediJitsu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is really fun so far. Finally got rolling, and just finished HelloWorld! Phone Post
11/21/12 5:53 AM
falkofire
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subs
11/21/12 8:42 AM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JediJitsu -  This is really fun so far. Finally got rolling, and just finished HelloWorld! Phone Post

I've found it fun as well.  At the moment I'm sticking to the 3rd video in order to get that fundamental information set in my mind.

So far I'm doing pretty good.

Methods use the Member Accessor to access an action in a certain Class.  Classes are organized under a Namespace which is organized into a Project which is organized into a Solution.  Related Methods are organized into a class together.  A Solution or Assembly can have multiple Projects to perform certain sets of tasks inside a Program.

If I got this right I think I can move on to the next video.

11/21/12 9:48 AM
theseanster
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah man you are plenty good on that answer at this point. Don't over think the solution, project assembly thing. In the vast majority of cases each project in a solution gets compiled into its own assembly 1:1.

As far as the namespace, class, method stuff you got it. We'll drill down more on it when we hit OOP concepts.

Like I said you're plenty good right now being just a few videos in. Phone Post
11/21/12 9:59 AM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet.  I went ahead and moved on to Variables.  I'll probably spend the rest of the week on that 5th video.  Also, just ordered the Head First C # book.  I figured I can read it when I can't be on a computer (like at work).

11/24/12 6:57 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

B17 - 

Video 5.....Variables, is an MF'er.....

I might have to watch that one a few times again.  I just went through it again and I understand it, kind of, but the ToString and int.Parse are totally foreign to me.

On to Video 6 and lets see what happens!

What did you think of #5 Tom?

Variables so far is fairly difficult.  I think a majority of the difficulty comes from this being completely new to me in every way.  With video 3 I watched and rewatched it multiple times as well as just had the video playing constantly in the background.  Immersion is the key to most languages, so I downloaded a couple C# apps that I look through while I'm at work (Currently a Server) and despite most of it making ZERO sense and being complete jargon, I've found that it helps my brain adjust to think in those terms.

With Variables I am taking it VERY slowly.  There will be even more repetition and immersion with this video.  I've been less active the last 2 days due to holidays and work, but, I got the evening off tonight and am right back at it.

Keep it up!  It's motivational for me to know that others are trying for the same goal and going the same road to get there.

11/24/12 8:20 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

I'll follow your lead then and move on to #6.  You make a good points about being able to go back over it later as well as his comment about not getting bogged down trying to memorize every single term or function.

Check out this page, it's a glossary of Programming terms.  A lot of the stuff is understood mostly through context but I like being able to look it up.

http://cplus.about.com/od/glossar1/Glossary_of_Programming_Terms.htm

11/24/12 8:35 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

B17 - 

awesome

from there i found this link:  http://cplus.about.com/od/thecsharpden/Welcome_to_the_C_Sharp_Area_with_Articles_about_C_Sharp_Development.htm

paging through some of the articles now

im wondering if i should get that book in addition to these videos.  i probably would not read it much.....so I dont know....

I ordered the HeadFirst C# book.  If nothing else it's more immersion, which I feel is critical to overcome the steep learning curve that comes at the beginning of learning a new language (spoken or computer).

11/24/12 8:53 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

Yes sir, that is the same place I got it as well.

11/26/12 9:58 AM
theseanster
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check this out! This is what I've been saying but he explains it better

http://simpleprogrammer.com/2012/11/25/youre-only-a-beginner-once/

Keep at it! Phone Post
11/26/12 1:05 PM
TSMontana
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool stuff, theseanster.
11/26/12 10:20 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

B17 - 

So to ya'll doing this.  How about we keep each other on pace?  My thought is this.  By the end of this week, lets me done through video six, Branching with the if Decision Statement and the Conditional Operator.

Moving forward, lets all commit to getting through with two more videos...and so on.

In doing this, we can all be done in 9-12 weeks, which I think is a fair amount of time, not unlike a college semester.  If anyone is down for this, then I have some other ideas as well to help build on this even more.

I'm good with this.  I finished the first project on #6.  So, by Saturday we are finished with #6 completely and then in the next week you want to be done with 2 more videos?  Or do you want to make it 1/week?

My short-term goal is to be completely fluent in at least 2 programming languages by June of 2013.  I would LIKE to be able to apply for a programming job in 9 months (not sure if that's realistic but I like having something to work towards.)

My long term goal is to be completely finished with my current field and moved into Programming full time in 1 year from now.

5 year goal is to be making 100k/year.

11/27/12 10:25 AM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

2 per week is good for me.

12/3/12 12:00 AM
theseanster

B17 - 

just signed up for this:  https://www.coursera.org/course/cs101

Nice!

I've decided to brush up on math that I've long since forgotten on a really great, free Web site called Khan Academy. That place is pure gold.

12/3/12 9:52 AM
theseanster

Those are all good ones to learn. Objective C will be the most challenging Phone Post
12/5/12 1:29 PM
reagan123
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In.
12/7/12 6:35 AM
Kneeblock
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

12/13/12 9:53 PM
reagan123
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom and b17, where are you guys now? May try to catch up if you guys are still doing this. Phone Post
12/15/12 8:04 PM
theseanster

Why is it that profs go crazy before holidays, I hate that.  :)

As always guys, email me anytime if you have questions on any of the material or programming work in the videos. I'd love to get through this with you all in the next few months and get started on some fun Web development.

12/15/12 9:07 PM
Stache
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rubadubsub
12/20/12 12:05 PM
reagan123

Day one done. Hope to do day two in next day or so. Phone Post
12/21/12 12:24 AM
tetris
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sweet!
12/22/12 1:18 PM
theseanster

Edited: 12/22/12 1:18 PM

Hey guys, I wanted to share another training resource with you guys. I know that this time of year and in this economy, money is really tight, but I honestly think this is very affordable and absolutely worth the money. In fact, I've put my money where my mouth is on this one and bought my own subscription. A couple of other developers that I work with on contract at a software company right now have also signed up.

http://pluralsight.com/training/Courses

Here you can learn EVERYTHING you need to know to be a professional developer. And I mean EVERYTHING. You can get the videos only for $29 per month. And worse case, I think you can get a free trial for 30 days.

A bit of history here: back in 2001 Microsoft released its .NET platform. I was mainly a VB, Visual C++, Visual InterDev, SQL Server developer. The new platform was fun to play around with at first, but I realized pretty quickly that in order to keep my contract rate high I would need to become an expert fast. I took $5,000 of my own money and attended a course called Guerilla .NET at a company called DevelopMentor (they are still around). Back then DevelopMentor was ran but a guy named Don Box. If you google Don Box, he's the guy who used to write COM articles (and books) for MSDN magazine. A few other guys did too. I went there and took the Guerilla .NET course and it was 12 hours per day for a week straight with a PC in front of you and lots of labs to go with the slides. All done out of the hotel I was staying in, so it was like a nerd vaction. It was incredible!

So fast forward about 6 years, Don Box was out at DevelopMentor and Aaron Skonnard (another MSDN contributor for XML/SOAP/WSE) started a company called PluralSight with security guru Keith Brown and ASP.NET guru Fritz Onion. They had another intensive Distrubuted Architecture 5 day course in Redmond, WA. So I ponied up my own cash again and took a week off of work and flew out there. Again, those guys are incredible.

12/22/12 3:13 PM
theseanster

B17 - 

Man I tell ya.  That video #6 really is a beast.  I get the if, else if, and else statements but after that he loses me.

Ive watched it three times now too, lol.

Back to 8/9 for now.  I should get to 10 as well.

How are you doing Tom?

Also, Sean, how helpful would you say that C# book is?  Does it fill in some gaps pretty well?

I wouldn't mess with the books if the videos are giving you problems.

What's giving you heartache in video 6?

12/22/12 3:14 PM
theseanster

B17 - 

aaaaand a x3 VTFU for Seanster

Im looking at that site now.  Lots of topics covered.  Im not sure I can afford that.  I wonder if I could write it off as a student expense and use my student loan funds?

Look into it after you graduate then. Just something to keep in mind. Hell, those guys are teaching me stuff and I develop all day for a living. :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.